Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,981 members, 7,841,752 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) (31421 Views)

Dear President Buhari, Things Are No Longer Making Sense By Samuel Akinnuga / My Dear President Muhammadu Buhari / My Dear President, Let Your People Go By Dele Momodu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by treesun: 9:09am On May 12
By Abdulkadir Salaudeen

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu indeed met Nigerians in the cauldron of abject poverty. It was officially called multi-dimensional poverty. Muhammadu Buhari, the former President, did not hand over to Tinubu until poverty became a permanent resident in virtually every home in Nigeria.

Poverty under Buhari had a green card — positive identification — in Nigeria. A beleaguered Nigeria was handed over to Tinubu who was over-hyped by his image makers as the man with the magic wand — having turned Lagos into “paradise” while he was the governor. Now in Abuja — and surrounded by the brilliant “Lagos boys”— it is one hardship after the other. This punishment is too much to bear.

What is our sin? I can think of one. Since Nigeria’s transition to democracy in 1999, this is the first time we have a president that the majority of Nigerians voted against. Nigerians, in their majority, voted against Tinubu. Whether one thinks the presidential election was fair or rigged, only about 37% of Nigerians voted for Tinubu.

Is this administration not tired of punishing Nigerians? Oil subsidy was thoughtlessly withdrawn. Its ripple effects are the skyrocketed prices of commodities and the unprecedented inflation we continue to witness. Floating of naira further immersed most Nigerians deeply into the cauldron of poverty. The so-called food palliative was given to some televised people who are not up to a percentage of the deserving poor. Food items are so expensive that they are beyond the purchasing power of average Nigerians.

The lure of other people’s money
Civil servants who jubilated over the N35,000 palliative which lasted for six months later realised that it was not meant to cushion the effect of the callous declaration “subsidy is gone.” The monetary palliative becomes meaningless as soon as it flies out of bank accounts and gets into our scaring markets which have been invaded and hijacked by inflation.

Students were not spared. School fees were unreasonably hiked with the promise of student loans. This is the twelfth month of Tinubu’s presidency; no single student, to my knowledge, has gotten any loan. Many have withdrawn from school due to prohibitive school fees. Higher education in Nigeria today is for the fittest. The fittest, in most cases, are not the poor; though the poor are the majority.

Not tired of punishing Nigerians, the electricity tariff was shockingly hiked. This led to the banding of Nigerians — as if in castes — into those who deserve light and those who should remain in darkness. As if that is not enough, the already hiked price of fuel which was due to the removal of subsidy was re-hiked by some forces to make sure that many Nigerians embrace the angel of death willy-nilly. A litre of petrol has been sold for a thousand naira plus — almost hitting N2,000 in some places—in the last two weeks. One feels like committing suicide, if not for the grace of God.

As if this regime relishes to see us in pain. While Nigerians devise different coping mechanisms as they continue to toil in untold hardship, we were told again that banks should butcher our monies whenever we make electronic transactions (as Cybersecurity Levy). Some exceptions are made to make it appear to have a human face. The reality remains that it is extortive to the core. Many of the unbanked would feel they were compelled to be banked only to be robbed.

With this 0.5 percent charges on electronic transactions, in addition to other bank charges, how many businesses will this policy kill? How many millions of Nigerians will the Tinubu regime render jobless? How many households will be disintegrated due to economic hardship? How many husbands will send their wives packing and how many wives will seek divorce? How many children will be pitted against their parents and how many parents does Tinubu want to make irresponsible?

I am just asking. I cannot make any guesstimate but I know the statistics will be very terrible. What is our sin? Our sin, if I may guess, is that most Nigerians did not want Tinubu before the election — as evident from the results which declared him winner with 37 percent votes. Is Tinubu paying us back in the same coin?

In the words of Phyllis E. Bernard, a law professor at Oklahoma City University School, “Eliminationism is the belief that a social group is a cancer on the body politic that must be excised — either by separation from the public at large, through censorship or by outright extermination — to protect the purity of the nation.” This can be likened to annihilationism — a theological doctrine which presupposes that the wicked will cease to exist after this life.

With Tinubu’s ascendancy to power, our former fragile economy which (some believe) promises some glimmer of hope, has metamorphosed into a hopeless skeletal economy. With this Cybersecurity Levy, we can only talk about skeletalisation of Nigerians and the Nigerian economy. Many dead businesses in Nigeria that are awaiting some miraculous resuscitation would now be shown the burial ground with this new levy.

Dear President Tinubu, are we the cancer that must be eliminated to protect the purity of Nigeria that seems to be restructured under your regime only for the capitalists to exist? Or are we the wicked sinners that must cease to exist by the time you must have spent four years in office? Is this punishment not too much for our sins? I beg you on behalf of myself and other Nigerians — with cap in hand, knees on the ground, and eyes with tears — to reverse these killing policies. Please!

It is said that “The governors/rulers are the shepherds (protectors) of the people, but if the shepherd becomes a wolf, who shall protect the flock?” It is good to know that the House of Representatives has asked for the suspension of the Cybersecurity Levy. Let us breathe. Please!

https://dailytrust.com/dear-president-tinubu-is-this-punishment-not-too-much-for-our-sins/

87 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by Righthussle: 9:10am On May 12
This your cry too long oga. Go find food chop first oo. The journey never start you don dey complain. Wait till second tenure by then the tax net wey dem wan expand go don cover you and your family?

For second tenure, even mad people go understand wetin normal people dey pass through when dem go introduce Trekking Licence. To mad self go be for families wey get money to pay for Trekking Licence.

What of if them decide to introduce Breathing tax?

Oga calm down , day never break.

243 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by treesun: 9:34am On May 12
Righthussle:
This your cry too long abeg.
Beginning of cry!

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by ibechris(m): 9:45am On May 12
This is a comprehensive analysis of how they have dealt with the people.

Wicked govt.

208 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by michlins(m): 10:28am On May 12
They said higher IGR is evidence of good economy and governance.

Tinubu will break and create new records on IGR at the expense of the well-being of the masses

165 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by DatNiggaDaz: 10:29am On May 12
grin grin

I am just asking. I cannot make any guesstimate but I know the statistics will be very terrible. What is our sin? Our sin, if I may guess, is that most Nigerians did not want Tinubu before the election — as evident from the results which declared him winner with 37 percent votes. Is Tinubu paying us back in the same coin?

Pictures speaks more than a thousand words

91 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by DatNiggaDaz: 10:38am On May 12
grin grin

Don't get bitten. Original carrier..

BATeria BAT 👇🏿

86 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by helinues: 10:42am On May 12
Government no dey put food on Masses's table

64 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by nabiz(m): 10:49am On May 12
helinues:
Government no dey out food on Masses's table
do you think at all before typing or you type before thinking? Or is it that you don't think at all

204 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by Blaze14k: 10:52am On May 12
This reminds me of what galadima said. He said if they are starving let them die so that next election they will wether to vote the right person.

28 Likes

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by IamDietiesGod: 10:56am On May 12
........What a elucidatory write-up!

An excellent depictions of a well-grounded dictions through out, which evidently brings out the mood of the writer by extension the targeted readers which happens to be mostly Nigerians.

"with cap in hand, knees on the ground, and eyes with tears"— to reverse these killing policies. Please!

Even reading only the above extract which creates a kind of sad imagery can actually turn a stonyhearted. So melancholic!.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by Putindbutt: 11:04am On May 12
Nigeria was using 97% of our revenue to service debts but they want Tinubu to continue with that. Wailers, you have more years to wail.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by IamDietiesGod: 11:40am On May 12
Putindbutt:
Nigeria was using 97% of our revenue to service debts but they want Tinubu to continue with that. Wailers, you have more years to wail.

Of all the points dissected in the write-up, this is what you could deduce. Does that means all the points raised are invalid?

97 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by Ola9ja23: 11:48am On May 12
IPOBidients wailing profusely

Bitter Obituarists crying like baby who just lost parents

60 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by KillahPriest: 11:49am On May 12
nabiz:
do you think at all before typing or you type before thinking? Or is it that you don't think at all
there has to be a brain present first before someone can be capable of thinking

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by Putindbutt: 11:54am On May 12
IamDietiesGod:

Of all the points dissected in the write-up, this is what you could deduce. Does that means all the points raised are invalid?
Very invalid, how did you think we got here?, with 87trillion naira debt, billions of subsidy on fuel and electricity, 97% revenue for debt servicing, insecurity. I think the president is going the right direction.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by Malroux: 12:10pm On May 12
helinues:
Government no dey out food on Masses's table
What puts food on your table?

17 Likes

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by favor914: 12:13pm On May 12
ibechris:
This is a comprehensive analysis of how they have dealt with the people.

Wicked govt.
Your State, & Local Government no try for you @ all.

59 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by favor914: 12:13pm On May 12
Malroux:
What puts food on your table?
Go North Korea go find out.

63 Likes

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by Malroux: 12:13pm On May 12
favor914:
Sharap.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by favor914: 12:16pm On May 12
Malroux:
Sharap.
I no blame you, make you dey wait for President Bola Tinubu to come & help you arrange your life, since all previous family, friends, & well wishers’ attempts have failed.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by Malroux: 12:18pm On May 12
favor914:
I no blame you, make you dey wait for President Bola Tinubu to come & help you arrange your life, since all previous family, friends, & well wishers’ attempts have failed.
Sharap there.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by ibechris(m): 12:39pm On May 12
favor914:

Sometimes,I ask if some of u are sensible at all.

How does this correlate with the topic tribalist?

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by ibechris(m): 12:42pm On May 12
favor914:

See,u are not sounding normal?

I just want to ask u,are u mentally stable at all?

Because I dont think u are normal from the way u are writing.

U sounded very terrible...completely out of point.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by killsmith(f): 12:44pm On May 12
Oga brought Yoruba owo mi da economics to abuja. Tax them heavily until they are not able to repair their great grandfathers rusted roof.

15 Likes

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by AcadaWriter: 1:12pm On May 12
This your cry too long abeg. ... Em, need help with your academic papers? Contact us.

1 Like

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by nabiz(m): 2:10pm On May 12
IamDietiesGod:

do you think they read. All they know how to do is to rush and comment. Before apc told us that buhari will fix it, with the excuse that Jonathan put the economy is mess. Now the same apc is blaming buhari. Confuse people

18 Likes

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by nabiz(m): 2:12pm On May 12
ibechris:

do you think most of the read. They always comment before reading

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by favor914: 3:43pm On May 12
ibechris:

I know blame you in your state of miserable confusion.
Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by favor914: 3:44pm On May 12
ibechris:

Your level of thinking is too low, never imagined you would be able to comprehend in the first instance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by favor914: 3:49pm On May 12
ibechris:

Confused Thing, it seems you need a sachet of your Obidient bitters?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) by DatNiggaDaz: 4:03pm On May 12
nabiz:
grin grin

People with chronic infection of BATeria to think ?

grin grin

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

14-year Old Kano Child Bride, Faces Death Penalty For Allegedly Killing Husband / 20 Days To Polls: INEC’s New Rule Sparks Rigging Fears / Presidency Queries Why Yakasaai, Others Did Not Tell GEJ To Probe IBB, OBJ,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.