Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,947 members, 7,838,374 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri (17352 Views)

FG Can’t Continue To Subsidise Electricity — Power Minister, Adebayo Adelabu / Nigeria Can’t Continue To Be Father Christmas To Neighbouring Countries – Tinubu / Timipre Sylva: Why FG Can’t Continue Fuel Subsidy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by Kuginzi: 9:27pm On May 12
Governor Douye Diri of Bayelsa State has said the country’s “lopsided” federalism practice has hindered the development of states, calling for a review of revenue derivation formula in line with the practice of fiscal federalism.

Diri, who queried the existing practice where resource-endowed states in Nigeria, particularly in the Niger Delta, get 13 percent as monthly allocation from their resources, insisted that it was wrong to describe Bayelsa as insolvent and unable to exist without monthly federal allocation while its resources were being expropriated to Abuja and shared to other states in the country.

Speaking over the weekend in Houston, Texas, when Ijaws in the United States of America and Canada conferred on him the award of “Icon of Unity and Social Justice” as part of the three-day 2024 convention organized by Ijaw National Congress (INC)-Americas, Diri appreciated the organisers for upholding the Ijaw tradition and culture even in the diaspora.

Former Nigerian first lady, Dame Patience Jonathan; Minister of State for Petroleum (Oil), Senator Heineken Lokpobiri; as well as renowned author and Ibenanaowei of Ekpetiama kingdom, King Bubaraye Dakolo, were honoured.

Diri said: “The leadership of the Niger Delta has been with the Ijaws over the years. Now it looks like we are getting tired. But we should not. We have to continue with our leadership role while galvanising support from our neighbours and brothers in the region.

"The Niger Delta is an area that should be better than it is if we were allowed to use our resources for our development. Since I arrived this country, what crossed my mind has been how Bayelsa would be if we practised true federalism whereby we get 100 per cent of our revenue from oil and gas and not 13 per cent as it is today. Maybe we would have had one small Houston in Yenagoa.

"You cannot take away the resources in my state and the internally generated revenue that would have accrued to us and expropriate it in the name of Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC). Every month end, the 36 states in the country gather in Abuja to share resources accruing from my state and they still come back to insult us that our state is insolvent.

"I have never seen anywhere in the world where the essence of the FAAC is to share revenue only from oil and gas. What about the revenue from other mineral resources like gold? Why are they not also shared? This is the naked truth,” he said.

He urged them not to allow the fire of Ijaw nationalism that has been ignited to extinguish and ensure that the annual event was sustained while promising the support of his administration.

https://dailytrust.com/diri-we-cant-continue-using-bayelsa-money-to-develop-other-states/

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by Onogiede(m): 9:46pm On May 12
See my brother just wake up,..Abuja and Lagos are among top Africa great Cities been built by Niger Delta Oil Funds. Tomorrow they will be telling people to go back to their state in Same country..

226 Likes 15 Shares

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by Creamypie(m): 9:49pm On May 12
See this thief. With only 8 local government, of which some parts are water, its not an excuse for you and ur gang to steal aggressively.b4 any person attack me, I be deltan. Delta and bayelsa suppose be another Lagos, considering the 17 billion monthly location minus 13% monthly oil derivation alone. Mind u, bayelsa has just 8 l.gs.no need allowing our governors to be in charge of our resources. They will all be looted

146 Likes 11 Shares

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by iluvdonjazzy: 11:08pm On May 12
Bayelsa state is one of state that get bigger allocation than more than 30 other states, can you account for it Mr. Thief.

113 Likes 15 Shares

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by Hez143(m): 12:07am On May 13
Onogiede:
See my brother just wake up,..Abuja and Lagos are among top Africa great Cities been built by Niger Delta Oil Funds. Tomorrow they will be telling people to go back to their state in Same country..
Oga, no be niger delta money dem use develop Lagos

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by Praxis758: 1:51am On May 13
The least state that should be underdeveloped is Bayelsa, but ineffective governance have crippled the state.

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by DMerciful(m): 2:03am On May 13
United in oil money only?
darikhua:
What kind of disunited talk is this from a governor?

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by DMerciful(m): 2:04am On May 13
Lets have true federalism so every state control their resources
iluvdonjazzy:
Bayelsa state is one of state that get bigger allocation than more than 30 other states, can you account for it Mr. Thief.

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by southsouthking(m): 5:43am On May 13
Make every state they Collect their revenue themselves , then pay tax to federal government.
Eyes go clear that time, then we'll know who is who.

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by Paraman: 5:52am On May 13
What did Jonathan an Indigene of Bayelsa state do about the sharing formula?

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by Faiththatworks(m): 5:54am On May 13
I totally agree with the Governor of Bayelsa state,it's madness to claim Bayelsa is insolvent and can't survive without Federal Allocation,yet its oil and gas revenue is shared by 35 other states every month.
I believe it's high time the revenue due to the oil producing states be increased to 50%.
It's financial laziness for states like Osun,Kogi, Zamfara,Lagos and all the other states to expect revenue from the Oil and gas mined in Niger Delta state.
What did these states contribute financially to the mining of oil and gas in the Niger Delta states to expect any form of revenue.
The bible tells me you reap what you sow,what have these states sowed in the Niger Delta states in the last 30 years that they are continually paid revenue from the Oil and gas mined in these regions.
Enough of the Unity Fear,let every state in Nigeria mine their natural resources,keep 50% of the resources and transfer what's left to the Federal purse.
If anyone isn't comfortable with this suggestion,then it's time to start rethinking this project called Nigeria.
God bless Nigeria

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by mytime24(f): 6:18am On May 13
Zamfara personalised their Gold 🪙

So d governor mayb right

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by Sapeleboy911(m): 6:20am On May 13
Although I don't like this Diri of a man, I am in full support of what he is saying. Why share only crude oil from the Niger Delta? What happens to other mineral resources, being mined daily in other regions of the country.

Why not allow the states to manage their resources themselves and remit to the FG? This is unfair to the ND regions I must say.

These are some of the reasons that made me support and voted for GEJ, hoping that him being from the ND region, will make some amendments. But being a bu**f*n and an asslicker he ended up trying to please his cabal to the detriment of his own region.

Since the GEJ mess, I don't go near a polling unit, or waste precious time that I will use to place bets on useless elections again. As far as bet365 is not banned in Nigeria, citizens can continue voting for useless leaders, na them go still hear am.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by jahsharon: 6:25am On May 13
This one don chop belleful. Him belle go burst now

6 Likes

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by Watianoengineer(m): 6:29am On May 13
Faiththatworks:
I totally agree with the Governor of Bayelsa state,it's madness to claim Bayelsa is insolvent and can't survive without Federal Allocation,yet its oil and gas revenue is shared by 35 other states every month.
I believe it's high time the revenue due to the oil producing states be increased to 50%.
It's financial laziness for states like Osun,Kogi, Zamfara,Lagos and all the other states to expect revenue from the Oil and gas mined in Niger Delta state.
What did these states contribute financially to the mining of oil and gas in the Niger Delta states to expect any form of revenue.
The bible tells me you reap what you sow,what have these states sowed in the Niger Delta states in the last 30 years that they are continually paid revenue from the Oil and gas mined in these regions.
Enough of the Unity Fear,let every state in Nigeria mine their natural resources,keep 50% of the resources and transfer what's left to the Federal purse.
If anyone isn't comfortable with this suggestion,then it's time to start rethinking this project called Nigeria.
God bless Nigeria

So it is not financial Laziness when all your tiny 5 South east states receive the same Niger delta oil money?

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by femicyrus(m): 6:35am On May 13
The governor should tell us the amount in naira called 13% + the actual allocation of bayelsa from FAAC monthly, the land area and the population of bayelsa compared to other states in Nigeria.

Bayelsa should be the most developed state in Nigeria and less than 1% of it's population should be classified as poor if not for poor administration by past and present state governors

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by skultrick(m): 6:41am On May 13
It total injustice to steal from Peter and pay Paul

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by NorthernAgender: 6:55am On May 13
It shall never be well with individuals that organized this event covered award to a know thief. Since 1991 the state has been created with huge allocation coming to the state with their just 8 local government and about 700k population the state government can't provide a drinkable water still importing table water from lagos and Edo state.

He shouldn't call for allocation increment but separation of the country I want to see how bayelsa will become Eldorado. The same allocation is what Akwa ibom and calabar including rivers state go to those state and see infrastructures.

Speaking over the weekend in Houston, Texas, when Ijaws in the United States of America and Canada conferred on him the award of “Icon of Unity and Social Justice” as part of the three-day 2024 convention organized by Ijaw National Congress (INC)-Americas, Diri appreciated the organisers for upholding the Ijaw tradition and culture even in the diaspora.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by NorthernAgender: 7:03am On May 13
Some of you are just stark illiterate you think oil exploration just started with just land drilling without putting head together can your niger delta pay the amount of money made by both north, and southwest before oil exploration started.
Sapeleboy911:
Although I don't like this Diri of a man, I am in full support of what he is saying. Why share only crude oil from the Niger Delta? What happens to other mineral resources, being mined daily in other regions of the country.

Why not allow the states to manage their resources themselves and remit to the FG? This is unfair to the ND regions I must say.

These are some of the reasons that made me support and voted for GEJ, hoping that him being from the ND region, will make some amendments. But being a bu**f*n and an asslicker he ended up trying to please his cabal to the detriment of his own region.

Since the GEJ mess, I don't go near a polling unit, or waste precious time that I will use to place bets on useless elections again. As far as bet365 is not banned in Nigeria, citizens can continue voting for useless leaders, na them go still hear am.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by AcadaWriter: 7:13am On May 13
This one don chop belleful. Him belle go burst now

1 Like

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by idahme(m): 7:24am On May 13
iluvdonjazzy:

Bigger allocation? Is the money not coming from its land ? What is big collecting 13 out of 100 u produced and others collecting 10 out 100 they did not produce?

U must be from an area getting benefits from the resources of the ND , this madness almost stop sooner than later.

9 Likes

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by idahme(m): 7:24am On May 13
Creamypie:
See this thief. With only 8 local government, of which some parts are water, its not an excuse for you and ur gang to steal aggressively
Bigger allocation? Is the money not coming from its land ? What is big collecting 13 out of 100 u produced and others collecting 10 out 100 they did not produce?

U must be from an area getting benefits from the resources of the ND , this madness almost stop sooner than later

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by idahme(m): 7:26am On May 13
Onogiede:

You are right, our Governors are a mess, how on earth were they comfortable with just 13 out of 100 ? Who does that, which planet does this happen?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by idahme(m): 7:27am On May 13
darikhua:
What kind of disunited talk is this from a governor?

U must be from an area getting benefits from the resources of the ND , this madness almost stop sooner than later

Have you guys shared the resources coming from gold mining with the Niger Delta people? Think again

4 Likes

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by Sirianese: 7:29am On May 13
Is like Diri is so high on akpeteshi, he does not like himself again

Abi what type of imbécile talk is this, coming from someone like him who is a chief beneficiary of Nigeria's lopsided political structure?

8 Likes

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by MEEVEET: 7:33am On May 13
Creamypie:
See this thief. With only 8 local government, of which some parts are water, its not an excuse for you and ur gang to steal aggressively
Is that an excuse to steal their oil money?

6 Likes

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by MEEVEET: 7:33am On May 13
iluvdonjazzy:
Can Nigeria account for our oil wealth? Should that mean oil companies should stop paying royalty?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by MEEVEET: 7:37am On May 13
See them above emergency lovers of South South condemning Diri

E done reach the main issue now they are attacking South South for demanding their right

Tomorrow someone from Ogun or Oyo ot even kwara would tell someone from IMO that produce the gas that powers Lagos to leave Lagos

If yorubas wants to claim Lagos then they should fight for restructuring or regional government
. Let me see if they would survive the recession in 20 years

15 Likes

Re: FAAC: We Can’t Continue Using Bayelsa Money To Develop Other States – Diri by Creamypie(m): 7:44am On May 13
MEEVEET:

Is that an excuse to steal their oil money?
no sir, but bayelsa state has never accounted for even 10 percent of the billions allocated to it since 1999. If u visit there, you will understand. It has 8 local governments, one third of average Niger delta state.bayelsa has the resources to be far more developed than Lagos. I know what am saying

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Embassy In The US Has No Electricity Because Of Debt - Twitter User / 2019: Between Gaduje, Kwakanso, Buhari And Obasanjo. Video / Onofiok Luke Removes His Picture From Office As Akwa Ibom Speaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.