Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,412 members, 7,853,813 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 03:59 AM

‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan (27404 Views)

Bola Tinubu To Visit UK To See His Doctor - Bayo Onanuga / Obasanjo: Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Leader With Bad Character, Endorses Obi / Tinubu To Visit UK Next Week For Medical Checkup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by promise4040: 4:30pm On May 17
A British journalist and presenter, Kevin O’Sullivan, has criticised the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, for visiting Nigeria.

This comes after another British journalist, Christopher Wilson, drew backlash for comparing Nigerians to Nazis due to the royal couple’s visit.

The couple visited Nigeria to celebrate the Invictus Games, Harry’s tournament for wounded soldiers in Nigeria.

However, their visit has faced criticism from British journalists and royal supporters.

O’Sullivan, a presenter on TalkTV, stated that Nigeria doesn’t deserve endorsement from anyone, especially members of the royal family.

“The royal family doesn’t just go anywhere. These tours are planned years in advance and the countries that the royals honour with their visits are very carefully chosen.

“There’s no way our royal family would set foot in Nigeria, a country where female genital mutilation is rife; where women’s rights basically don’t exist; and where hundreds of kids are regularly kidnapped by extremist Islamic groups.

“This is not a country that should be endorsed by anyone certainly not our royal family and these two are naive in what they’re doing. They’re making this country look good when it doesn’t deserve it,” the journalist said.

Meanwhile, the King of England, King Charles III, has visited Nigeria four times, in 1990, 1999, 2006, and 2018.

O’Sullivan’s guest, royal correspondent and expert, Michael Cole also weighed in, calling Nigeria a dangerous destination.

“I couldn’t tell you the number of royal tours that I’ve been on and what you say is absolutely right. Nigeria, the foreign office and the American State Department both say it’s a dangerous destination, you must not go there. It vies with Johannesburg, South Africa to be the murder capital of the continent.

“In that country, there’s industrial scale, volumes of people who are ripping off people around the world, internet fraud, wholesale internet fraud, defrauding old ladies, stealing identities and none of that is ever prosecuted,” Cole said.

Cole, a former BBC journalist, also said he was puzzled by Prince Harry’s actions to visit Nigeria, stating that they defy common sense and reason.

https://punchng.com/nigeria-doesnt-deserve-royal-visit-uk-journalists-slam-harry-meghan-for-visiting-nigeria/

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by Righthussle: 4:31pm On May 17
Nothing can describe the love Nigeria has for her colonizer and enslaver. The love is too much. Till date we have refused to do away with even the stupid slave name these guys gave to us.

Harry normally should have been stoned and chased out of the country for the atrocities they committed against us.

How will you be honouring and celebrating the children of people who raped and sold our mothers, wives, and daughters? Their children should be scared of us.

I will never celebrate these people !
I will never practice their religion!
I will never give my children English names!

I still speak their language today because our foolish leaders have forced us to learn and speak the language of our enslavers by making it our national language.

64 Likes 6 Shares

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by promise4040: 4:37pm On May 17
Honestly, we're losing it all in this country.

Nigeria with a population of over 200 million people should naturally be a place where people beg to visit. Rather, some thinks it even senseless to mention the name.

Where did it all go wrong with Nigeria?

178 Likes 8 Shares

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by Muhammad234: 4:44pm On May 17
that one na your papa business

90 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by reiddecuti: 4:48pm On May 17
All I see here is jealousy.

On the other hand, no matter how sh*tty Nigeria is, it's still the most fun and interesting place to be.

N.B. It's time we start booting out all these bad eggs calling themselves leaders to sanitize the atmosphere.

162 Likes 8 Shares

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by IbrahimSkiba(f): 4:49pm On May 17
Agbaya

Whether you like it or not, them don visit already

You can go hang yourself...

116 Likes 6 Shares

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by Aleister(m): 4:49pm On May 17
Truly, Nigeria doesn’t deserve it.

Thank you APC for finally soiling the name of our nation and bringing it to disrepute.

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by NoniblaqStore(m): 4:49pm On May 17
Guys chill. The journalist is looking for cheap publicity. Meanwhile, if you are guy that loves shorts and three-quarters, see my thread for mad pairs.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by othermen: 4:49pm On May 17
Dem visit no help strengthen di relationship between our country and UK, as di people wey follow dem come (Meghan and Harry too) no get any connection wit their country. So, dem no fit talk on top matter wey concern trade, defense, and cultural exchange because dem no get authority to do am.

So, wetin we gain from their visit?? E get global media attention on di couple, but where dem go when dem dey here? Dem show any fine place for di country wey fit make tourists wan come, promote our cultural heritage, and help small businesses and economy? No, dem no do am.

Dem say dey just come boost our soldiers morale. Soldiers wey no dey paid well, wey dem go lock up if dem protest when hunger wire dier head, many wounded soldiers wey dier benefits no fit even feed their children. Any advocacy for these ones? Dem bring any attention to their issues?

No!!! We just do parade of some soldiers, parading dem with smiles for his Invictus Games.

Abeg, dem no try.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by Enemyofpeace: 4:49pm On May 17
Na true jare

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by Military0001: 4:49pm On May 17
H
Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by 1Sharon(f): 4:49pm On May 17
Well.

“There’s no way our royal family would set foot in Nigeria, a country where female genital mutilation is rife; where women’s rights basically don’t exist; and where hundreds of kids are regularly kidnapped by extremist Islamic groups.

1 Like

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by id4sho(m): 4:49pm On May 17
It is finished embarassed

4 Likes

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by fastseo: 4:49pm On May 17
sad
Nigeria is a great country, with abundant resources all around.

We just have unfortunate leaders. Na watin cause this see finish

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by NkanuSon: 4:49pm On May 17
Because Nigeria is their zoo

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by Kingpele(m): 4:49pm On May 17
Chai see finish....I think is about time we change the Name of our country...Nigeria as a name done cast for years ...how can a common journalist who's struggling with inflation in UK have the audacity to speak ill of a country of over 200 million people...well our government officials who carry their loot to UK, buying up houses and cars are to be blamed , who will see all that nonsense and still think Nigerians are normal people like others....

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by iichidodo: 4:50pm On May 17
I think if it was up to these guys, areas like Sub-saharan Africa and other third world enclaves in the southern hemisphere would have been used to store their nuclear waste..It just rankles these white supremacists that their Royalty still gives a f**k.

24 Likes

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by danvon(m): 4:50pm On May 17
The British media have always hated Harry and Meghan they are the outcast of the royal family...aside from Prince Andrew...

I'm very sure they predicted this backlash, now they can proudly and truthfully play the racist card.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by 4tomandchi: 4:50pm On May 17
wink
Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by floss(m): 4:50pm On May 17
Ok… Mr Journalist don’t be faraway and be singing us your praises… come closer to the borders and rant your nonsense I won check something… imagine such audacity, this practically shows that our brothers in UK are nothing but slaves, if this Mugu journalist is a product of that side… Royal family my foot… I’m not supporting cybercrime or yahoo but I think all yahoo boys should focus on UK now, they’re the cause of our problem. We Dey our own na una nonsense prince say him won visit, we no force am,

12 Likes

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by Didijiji: 4:50pm On May 17
grin

What do you mean?

When Lagos boy and his so called co developers are developing Nigeria rapidly (In a reverse direction though)

18 Likes

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by Queensfield(f): 4:50pm On May 17
Well. Nigerians shouldn't expect anything less. If any of the above-mentioned accusations is a lie, pls point it out before commenting with hateful, unremorseful words. Nigeria is the seat of tribalism, discriminatory, corruption, judicial incompetence, and fraud. Period.

12 Likes

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by Kobicove(m): 4:50pm On May 17
Stupid royal visit that did not add anything to our GDP undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by naptu2: 4:50pm On May 17
naptu2:
I really wish this video was on youtube, so that I could show it to you and you could have a good laugh.

The funny man said that Nigeria is not a country that their royal family would ever set foot in. He said that Harry and Meghan were neophytes for visiting Nigeria.

Isn't that funny?

Do you know the number of times that members of the Royal Family have visited Nigeria in recent times??

Solely from memory.

Prince Philip came to Lagos in 1989 (that's when he laid the foundation stone of the Muson Center).

Prince Charles and Princes Diana came in 1990 (I created a thread about that).

Prince Charles came again in 1999 (for the inauguration of President Obasanjo).

Princess Anne came in 2001.

The Queen and Prince Philip came in 2003 (for CHOGM). The Queen only visited Abuja, but Prince Philip also came to Lagos.

Prince Charles came again in 2006 (that's when he took that photo with the Ooni and other traditional rulers).

I can't remember the exact year that Prince Edward came, but he did.

Prince Charles and Camilla visited Nigeria in 2018 to mark the 100th anniversary of the end of World War 1.

So you can see that the guy is simply very ignorant.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by anonymous1759(m): 4:50pm On May 17
Nigeria will never be country where Animals will be regarded more than Men ,
Nigeria will never be a country where a man will work all his life and his wife will kick him out of his house because the society wants to please women grin
Nigeria men will never go as low as uk men , where their women shits on them .
You guys should grow more balls on how to tame your women stealing your resources in the name of gender equality Radarada albino.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by FactBoyz: 4:50pm On May 17
grin
Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by finallybusy: 4:50pm On May 17
Their problem.

2 Likes

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by zmanto(m): 4:50pm On May 17
Too bad for a county
Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by bigdammyj: 4:50pm On May 17
Noted.
Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by Shimran(m): 4:51pm On May 17
That is what will happen should we think some are above us embarassed

O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with your Lord is that who is God fearing.... Qur'an 49:13

1 Like

Re: ‘Nigeria Doesn’t Deserve Royal Visit,’ UK Journalists Slam Harry & Meghan by sulaak(m): 4:51pm On May 17
promise4040:
Honestly, we're losing it all in this country.

Nigeria with a population of over 200 million people should naturally be a place where people beg to visit. Rather, some thinks it even senseless to mention the name.

Where did it all go wrong with Nigeria?

It went wrong in 1914 and got worse in 1960.

When the governor of Niger state wants to force marry 100 distressed widows against their wishes. You know that the country has no values.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Peter Obi: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Cried To Governors Not To Share Money, They Did / Ope Banwo: Man Who Developed Peter Obi App Accuse Supporters Of Blackmail / Tinubu Arrives London For International Engagements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.