Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,696 members, 7,820,429 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria (1444 Views)

Nigerian Army Noticeably Absent In Town Taken From Boko Haram-new York Times / We’re Under Threat For Endorsing Buhari – Christian Group / Lagos Labels Spare-Parts Dealers Security Threat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria by Beaf: 2:59am On Nov 27, 2011
November 26, 2011
[size=14pt]Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria[/size]
By Khaled Nasir

The U.S. Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria, issued a warning Nov. 5 indicating that it had received intelligence that the Nigerian militant group Boko Haram may have been planning to bomb several targets in the Nigerian capital during the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, also known as Eid al-Kabir, celebrated Nov. 6-8.  The warning specifically mentioned the Hilton, Nicon Luxury, and Sheraton hotels as potential targets.  An Associated Press count shows the group has killed at least 330 people this year alone.

Boko Haram ("Western education is a sin"wink is a Nigerian Islamist group that seeks the imposition of sharia law throughout the whole of Nigeria.  The group believes that Western education is anathema.

Many experts on Boko Haram note that the group's suicide bombing on 26 August 2011, which destroyed the U.N. building in Nigeria's capital, Abuja, reveals a link with al-Qaeda in the Maghreb (AQIM).  Before the attack, an internal Nigerian intelligence document had discussed possible links between Boko Haram and AQIM.  General Carter Ham, the general at the top of the United States African Command (AFRICOM), speculated that Boko Haram might want to establish a partnership with the Somali terrorist group al-Shabaab, in addition to with AQIM.

Since 2000, incidents of conflict involving radical Islamist groups have increased significantly.  There have been two Taliban rebellions in 2003 and 2004 in the northeastern states of Borno, Yobe, and Bauchi.  An obscure group speaking Arabic in a Chad dialect attacked the police in metropolitan Kano on Election Day in April 2007.  On Christmas day 2009, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab ("the underwear bomber"wink, scion of a prominent northern Nigerian banker, attempted to blow up a Delta Airlines flight over Detroit.  Video evidence proves that he was recruited, trained, and armed by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).

In January 2010, the leader of AQIM, 'Abd al-Malik Droukdal, released a statement offering to provide training and material assistance to Boko Haram.  These connections notwithstanding, as of September 2011, several experts doubt the actualized alliance between the two groups, noting the lack of public hard evidence linking Boko Haram and AQIM.

On Nov. 2, Nigerian authorities claimed to have foiled a bomb plot planned for the Eid holiday.  A man they arrested in connection with the plot allegedly possessed explosives that he planned to use to create package bombs.  The arrest probably resulted from the house-to-house searches in Maiduguri that came after an arms amnesty for militants ended Oct. 31.

Nigeria is the most populous African country and one of the most densely populated countries in the world.  With approximately 150 million people, half the country is Muslim and half is Christian (though many Nigerians follow traditional religions).  Muslim population predominates in the north while Christians predominate in the south.  The Muslim north is anchored in agricultural resources; southern Nigeria, an area that includes Lagos, holds the vibrant commercial capital and the business hub for much of West Africa, including the Niger Delta region, home to about 90 percent of the country's large crude oil and natural gas sector.

The USA has defined the Gulf of Guinea as a new energy security zone, one expected to supply 25% of American imports by 2025, with Nigeria destined to provide 60%-70% of these oil imports.  Nigerian crude oil's light weight, low sulfur content, lower transport costs, and security advantage over the Persian Gulf fetch a premium price from U.S. refiners.  Today, oil and natural gas represent at least 37%-40% of Nigeria's GDP, 95% of its foreign exchange earnings, and 83% of federal government revenue, with estimated annual export value of $90 billion in 2008.

Nigeria as a country is strategically situated in a volatile part of Africa.  As the conflicts there drive away investors from the Middle East, thanks to the new "Arab Spring," the expansion of the oil industry in Nigeria may look to be a safe bet for global oil companies.  With the global economy in turmoil and the Middle East in transition, a group like Boko Haram can harm U.S. interests throughout Africa.  A potential merger with other groups such as Al Shabab would escalate the Afghan-style terror even further, not to mention allow for a new base for al-Qaeda in Africa.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/11/boko_haram_new_security_threat_for_us_in_nigeria.html#ixzz1eroSQRvU
Re: American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria by Kilode1: 5:24am On Nov 27, 2011
American Thinker?   shocked

When Thomas Lifson and his neo-conservative journal start writing articles about your country, be very very afraid.

They are a part of the same group of neo-conservative essayists that gave George Bush their "intellectual" backing before and during the Iraq invasion.

Now they are deftly trying to paint a connection between Mutallab and Boko-Haram. . Hmm

Nigeria, my people, be very afraid, or better still, end the Boko Haram issue by yourself before these people start "helping" you.

If Obama lose this election or leave office before Boko Haram is destroyed, just pray Neo-conservatives don't return back to prominence. .

Nigeria as a country is strategically situated in a volatile part of Africa.  As the conflicts there drive away investors from the Middle East, thanks to the new "Arab Spring," the expansion of the oil industry in Nigeria may look to be a safe bet for global oil companies.  With the global economy in turmoil and the Middle East in transition, a group like Boko Haram can harm U.S. interests throughout Africa.  A potential merger with other groups such as Al Shabab would escalate the Afghan-style terror even further, not to mention allow for a new base for al-Qaeda in Africa.

See?  they are not joking. They will protect their interest, just hope it aligns with ours.
Re: American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:37am On Nov 27, 2011
Kilode?!:

See?  they are not joking. They will protect their interest, just hope it aligns with ours.

Why shouldn't the US protect it's interest? What stops the Nigerian government from trying to do the very same?
Re: American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria by Beaf: 5:59am On Nov 27, 2011
Kilode?!:

American Thinker? shocked

When Thomas Lifson and his neo-conservative journal start writing articles about your country, be very very afraid.

They are a part of the same group of neo-conservative essayists that gave George Bush their "intellectual" backing before and during the Iraq invasion.

Now they are deftly trying to paint a connection between Mutallab and Boko-Haram. . Hmm

Nigeria, my people, be very afraid, or better still, end the Boko Haram issue by yourself before these people start "helping" you.

If Obama lose this election or leave office before Boko Haram is destroyed, just pray Neo-conservatives don't return back to prominence. .

See? they are not joking. They will protect their interest, just hope it aligns with ours.

For the bolded, thats the exact reason I posted the article. They are right wing types, into whose arms and calculations boko haram and its "born to rule" sponsors driving Nigeria.

When you talk about interests, do you mean wider Nigerian interests, economic interests or SE/SS interests? Each of those items demands a uniquely tailored answer.
Re: American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria by Kilode1: 6:43am On Nov 27, 2011
@kobo I think we are saying the same thing, i'm essentially pointing out the fact that we need to deal with our issues and protect our interests.

That America will protect her interest is a given, a constant, a foregone conclusion and they have every right to do that.

Beaf:

For the bolded, thats the exact reason I posted the article. They are right wing types, into whose arms and calculations boko haram and its "born to rule" sponsors driving Nigeria.

When you talk about interests, do you mean wider Nigerian interests, economic interests or SE/SS interests? Each of those items demands a uniquely tailored answer.

Bros, As long as we still call the stretch of land between Sokoto and Bonny, Nigeria, then I'm talking about the mutual interest of every one of us.

But you are right, each of the constituent parts of Nigeria need to define what they want so we can agree on those mutual interests.

In April, my hope was that by December we would have started the discussion, but as things stand now, only Boko-Haram people are talking - with bombs and threats, it's like we are just reacting to the sound of their voice.

It will be very dangerous if these neo-cons clear table for us, the discussion will probably be concluded in Langley. I'm not sure we want that at all.
Re: American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria by Beaf: 7:24am On Nov 27, 2011
^
The cold answer to your hopes is, Nigerians are not ready to solve their problems. The country has split itself neatly into core-North, SW and SE/SS. The core-Northern elite are doing all they can to make the FG fail, while the SW is either sitting on the fence or cheerleading. With no common agenda, I fail to see any hope for a united Nigeria on the horizon.

Strangely, it is the US that is likely to want either a united Nigeria; the reason would be to dilute any extremist tendencies that might spring up in the core-North, especially as negative political forces have lost control of parts of boko haram to al qaeda.
Even better, they are likely to prefer one in which the oil areas are dominant or very visible; they might not have preferred this a year ago, but realities are very much different now.

If I were the Americans, instead of marines, the most subtle tricks would be employed, such as; revealations of damning population discrepancies (with solid proof); maybe by a uni or some profs academic paper. All well in time for 2015. lol!

Until we set our various bigotries and prejudices aside, our fate might lie in the hands of neo-cons or other hawks. Just look how those hawks are shaming Pakistan, a nuclear power thats several times more militarily powerful than Nigeria!
The US has two very pressing interests in Nigeria, to eradicate boko haram and to keep the oil flowing; its hard not to see them knocking on the door in the near future.
Re: American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria by Kilode1: 7:48am On Nov 27, 2011
^
Bro, humor me, articulate the difference in agenda between the SW and SS\SE.

Which ideas and agendas are championed by the SS/SE, but opposed by the SW?
Re: American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria by Beaf: 8:01am On Nov 27, 2011
Kilode?!:

^
Bro, humor me, articulate the difference in agenda between the SW and SS\SE.

Which ideas and agendas are championed by the SS/SE, but opposed by the SW?

I think I should clarify that I am talking about the positions of the leaders of these different blocks, not the people in general.

The SW leaders are Nigeria's new separatists, as for agenda; how about Tambuwal? This is a time we should all have drawn together to easily make far ranging and fundamental changes to the constitution; but that task has been made exponentially more difficult by the SW leaders with their backing of Tambuwal. If at all we can realise true federalism, passage of the PIB etc, then we'd has passed through the eye of a needle.
Re: American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria by Kilode1: 8:30am On Nov 27, 2011
Beaf:

I think I should clarify that I am talking about the positions of the leaders of these different blocks, not the people in general.

The SW leaders are Nigeria's new separatists, as for agenda; how about Tambuwal? This is a time we should all have drawn together to easily make far ranging and fundamental changes to the constitution; but that task has been made exponentially more difficult by the SW leaders with their backing of Tambuwal. If at all we can realise true federalism, passage of the PIB etc, then we'd has passed through the eye of a needle.

Tambuwal is actually a non-issue, a PDP member supported by the opposition so as to strengthen their hands and affirm their independence in opposition?

Calling that a separaratist move is not correct, in light of the major areas they can agree on, it's like burning down the family house because your girlfriend hugged your brother.

I'm not holding brief for ACN leaders, since we are not inner party member, let's go by their rhetoric; I'm glad you mentioned PIB

PIB as originally intended cannot be opposed by an ACN or SW whose chieftains have constantly championed resource control.

Land use repeal (which will greatly benefit GEJ and his SS kinsmen cannot be opposed by SW leaders, even Tinubu utterances shows his rhetorical support for a more egalitarian land ownership regime.

True Federalism : State Police, local control of ports, stronger State Law and regional autonomy ( which lagos is a major champion of, they actually walk the talk) weaker central Government. E.tc

All these plus more have featured in the rhetoric of these same leaders from the SW, and the SS / SE if I must add

I think the disagreement and political power tussle over who should lead the house of Rep pales in comparison with the agreement they have on these more fundamental issues.

I think the bigger question now is ; Why ain't we having an FG initiated national dialogue on these issues? Who are the people blocking it, what can we do together to defeat them?

Apology for the readability, I'm using a phone.
Re: American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria by Nobody: 8:34am On Nov 27, 2011
i pray the clear focus n sanity of this discussion should continue, kilode n beaf, pls carry on
Re: American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria by Beaf: 9:12am On Nov 27, 2011
^
Lol! Thanks. Me and Kilode know awasef wella. I marry im sister and e de eye my sister. grin

Kilode?!:

Tambuwal is actually a non-issue, a PDP member supported by the opposition so as to strengthen their hands and affirm their independence in opposition?

Calling that a separaratist move is not correct, in light of the major areas they can agree on, it's like burning down the family house because your girlfriend hugged your brother.

I'm not holding brief for ACN leaders, since we are not inner party member, let's go by their rhetoric; I'm glad you mentioned PIB

PIB as originally intended cannot be opposed by an ACN or SW whose chieftains have constantly championed resource control.

Land use repeal (which will greatly benefit GEJ and his SS kinsmen cannot be opposed by SW leaders, even Tinubu utterances shows his rhetorical support for a more egalitarian land ownership regime.

True Federalism : State Police, local control of ports, stronger State Law and regional autonomy ( which lagos is a major champion of, they actually walk the talk) weaker central Government. E.tc

All these plus more have featured in the rhetoric of these same leaders from the SW, and the SS / SE if I must add

I think the disagreement and political power tussle over who should lead the house of Rep pales in comparison with the agreement they have on these more fundamental issues.

I think the bigger question now is ; Why ain't we having an FG initiated national dialogue on these issues? Who are the people blocking it, what can we do together to defeat them?

Apology for the readability, I'm using a phone.

The divide in the House of rep might seem minor to the onlooker, but it isn't. Tinubu's rhetoric is sweet on the surface, but you only need to scratch the surface to find his motivation which is strongly anti-people. Tinubu connived with IBB to instal Tambuwal so as to trip the FG, if all Southern leaders had the same progressive goals, that unthinkable link up would not have occurred; if we would have lost, at least we would have done so as a united front. Today the House of Rep is split into the IBB/Tinubu and GEJ factions; a recipe for running on the spot. I do not see anything getting done by the House of Rep in the next 4 years.

As for Tinubu's rhetoric about true federalism, pay close attention to the details and you will find that he is arguing to further strengthen the unitary system (which will benefit him more personally), rather than for true federalism. There have been two giveaways so far.
The first is Tinubu's call for even more funding from Abuja, a position that is antithetical to true federalism. If the FG gives more money, then it must exert proportionally or exponentially more control; he who pays the piper dictates the tune. The calculation for Tinubu is simple, he gets more from milking Lagos and the benefits of true federalism can be buggerred.
The second, is his outright rejection of GEJ's suggestion that LG's be empowered, while the states and FG are weakened. Any supporter of true federalism would have welcomed this. LG's are the power houses of development and service provision (fire brigade, policing, certain areas of taxation etc) in all developed countries. Of even greater appeal for a country like Nigeria, is the fact that an LG based system would go very far to decentralising power in ways that directly loosen the rampant ethnic / religious bigotries that are ravaging the country.

If there is no unity in the South, there is slim hope for any fundamental constitutional change. The two stumbling blocks to immediate national dialogue are IBB and Tinubu; without these two highly moneyed men with low morals, all other power blocks would since have crumbled.
Re: American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria by Kilode1: 10:33am On Nov 27, 2011
^
LOL eye ke? I don pay Ufuoma dowry finish, Wetin you dey talk, Na to add Ejiro join am remain now.  angry

Beaf:

The divide in the House of rep might seem minor to the onlooker, but it isn't. Tinubu's rhetoric is sweet on the surface, but you only need to scratch the surface to find his motivation which is strongly anti-people. Tinubu connived with IBB to instal Tambuwal so as to trip the FG, if all Southern leaders had the same progressive goals, that unthinkable link up would not have occurred; if we would have lost, at least we would have done so as a united front. Today the House of Rep is split into the IBB/Tinubu and GEJ factions; a recipe for running on the spot. I do not see anything getting done by the House of Rep in the next 4 years.

As for Tinubu's rhetoric about true federalism, pay close attention to the details and you will find that he is arguing to further strengthen the unitary system (which will benefit him more personally), rather than for true federalism. There have been two giveaways so far.
The first is Tinubu's call for even more funding from Abuja, a position that is antithetical to true federalism. If the FG gives more money, then it must exert proportionally or exponentially more control; he who pays the piper dictates the tune. The calculation for Tinubu is simple, he gets more from milking Lagos and the benefits of true federalism can be buggerred.
The second, is his outright rejection of GEJ's suggestion that LG's be empowered, while the states and FG are weakened. Any supporter of true federalism would have welcomed this. LG's are the power houses of development and service provision (fire brigade, policing, certain areas of taxation etc) in all developed countries. Of even greater appeal for a country like Nigeria, is the fact that an LG based system would go very far to decentralising power in ways that directly loosen the rampant ethnic / religious bigotries that are ravaging the country.

If there is no unity in the South, there is slim hope for any fundamental constitutional change. The two stumbling blocks to immediate national dialogue are IBB and Tinubu; without these two highly moneyed men with low morals, all other power blocks would since have crumbled.

I don't have access to Tinubu's inner chamber, I can only put two and two together from what is available. I see no IBB Tinubu alliance. I refuse to believe that.

Now let me be clear, I'm not saying they are bitter enemies or can't form an alliance, but nothing points to that at the moment,

As a matter of fact, Tinubu will end his political career in the SW if he align with IBB, at least publicly, I don't know any other leader outiside the SW that is despised more than IBB by SWners ( at least the SWners that I know)

Actually that brings up the question of why this well "meaning FG" is not fighting and exposing the unprotected of the Tinubu/IBB alliance. Maybe because there's nothing to expose.

Beaf, let's be candid, IBB is one of the owners of Nigeria, he's not about to weaken his own power by aligning with the ACN and Tinubu, IBB is a PDP shareholder whose influence is powered by his connection to his proxies in the business and political establishment, he's not about to sacrifice that by joining the opposition.

See, what I'm more worried about has been stated in previous posts, Tinubu is not in power, GEJ is. The Nigerian presidency is one of the most powerful in any democracy I know, it's like a dictatorship, GEJ will do well to reach out to those who are ready to address and fix fundamental issues. They abound in Nigeria. Political will has to come from the president.

I know many in the SW are ready to meet GEJ halfway, the flawed April election proved that in many ways, as highly rigged as it was, the sentiments about unseating perceived status quo was clear, although many assumed the problem was tribal and religious, unfortunately it was more than that. We have an elite group in this country who are ready to die maintaining the status quo, they have no respect for anything but power and money.

The president needs to reach out to the opposition so as to checkmate those hawks in the PDP establishment and jump start the overhauling of Nigeria. I see little movement from his side. It's not too late tho, but if he truly want to address fundamental issues, he'll need to look beyond PDP for support.

Mistrust and political inflexibility is the reason for the lack of unity in the South, same with the North vs South, a lot of that is because of history and how this nation was founded, it's nothing a few good leaders cannot change, although I'm not a GEJ supporter but I fail to see why his inner circle of people like Oronto Douglas and co can't guide the president in this direction.

The SW is ready, the president needs to get over the divisive election and work with passionate people across the board, if GEJ can work with Oronto, he should be able to work with Fayemi, Fashola and co. And by extension, Tinubu.
Re: American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria by Areosapien(f): 11:02am On Nov 27, 2011
Honestly, me sef don tire for this kind country.
Country wey dey call imself Federal Republic of Nigeria, yet na glorified Feudalism e dey practice.
Country wey pretend say na economic capitalism e dey practice, yet, when it comes to federal allocation im begin dey practice Socialism immediately.
Country wey the ruling party dey answer People's Democratic Party, but when you win party primaries (Araraume), a rotund kleptomaniac (Obasanjo) go come from nowhere to say "Bros, your candidacy get small K-Leg", and instantly, dem go now carry that same candidacy give to a guy wey finish LAST PLACE with 30 votes (Ugwu).
A country where the so called 'progressive' party itself dey practice caveman politics (as seen with Tinubu's imposition process), yet people really dey fool themselves by thinking this party is any different from the PDP they hate so much.
Mehn, I'm tired of defending this fraudulent unity. Biko dissolve the whole thing jor!
Re: American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria by Horus(m): 12:41pm On Nov 27, 2011
Do we need an "American thinker" to think for ourself?.
Do the Chineses need an "American thinker" to think for themselves?
Remember, it was an "American thinker" who told us that Saddam Hussain had weapon of mass destruction.
Re: American Thinker - Boko Haram: New Security Threat for US in Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 2:26pm On Nov 27, 2011
^^^^^

and this is my taken

dalu ooo!!

(1) (Reply)

Arewa Consultative Forum Disowns Boko Haram / Security Detail Of Dankwanbo's Wife Be-headed! / ‘north Should Decline Participation In National Dialogue’ - Ahmed Daku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.