Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide (4260 Views)

Which Phone Will You Recommend For A Programmer? / Want To Be A Developer And Need Some Resources? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by SUCCEED3: 1:37pm On Nov 27, 2011
Hello NL Programmers

I am going through a transition at the moment; I recently switched careers from paid employment to becoming an entrepreneur as a result of the present financial/economic crisis. After much thinking, deliberation and soul searching on what next to do and what line of business to tow, I have decided to settle for and make a career in programming and application development. I have a background in programming, I read computer Science in my first degree and I was a programmer in my early career years, but later my job role shifted to a marketing role so I stopped programming and haven’t programmed much for some years now.

I intend to focus on web and mobile solutions. So lately I have been reading, learning and practicing a whole lot to catch up with lost grounds. I have been reading material in C#, Java, PHP, MS SQL server, MySQL etc. I have also delved into Joomla a bit just for the knowledge because I noticed it’s one of the most popular CMS, and a few other things.

Having brushed up on the above tools, I have decided to adopt C# and .Net frameworks for my future projects (I hope the projects come soon enough), that is not to say that I am not open to other technologies and will not use the other tools if need be.

I know there are a lot of experienced and successful programmers on Nairaland and there may also be Nairalanders who may be going through similar phase as myself. I am sharing this experience with you with the hope of getting your view on whether I have approached my new profession rightly or wrongly and get your opinion on the questions below:

1) Is there anything wrong in the method I have adopted above in learning some of the tools?

2) Being new in this field, how do I source for clients that need my services?

3) Presently I intend to work from home but hope to get a proper office space when I start getting clients and start making some money from the business. I don’t want to tie up the little capital I have on an office space (I have a wife and children). I hope I can get clients if I work from home?

4) What are the limitations of using C# and .Net frameworks over the other tools?

5) I intend to embark on a personal project, the project is going to be a Social Networking site (Not Facebook like) dedicates to a particular course and I expect it to draw a reasonable traffic when launched. However, I’m not too sure if C# .net and SQL server will be most appropriate because the site speed is my major concern because I expect traffic on the site to grow. I notice a lot of web application are developed using PHP and MySql, and I’m wondering if I must tow the same line.

I am not that young anymore, I’m in my late 30s but I believe with determination and dedication, I can still carve a niche in my chosen endeavor, I hope it is still possible for me.

I will also desire information regarding software design and analysis; I really want to approach any project I embark on professionally, not just writing codes. I will appreciate it if anyone can point me to useful tools/books and online materials to aid me. Also I have bought some programming book on Java, C# and MS SQL server, but would still need good books and pdfs on PHP and Mysql, most of the online books I have downloaded just treat basic stuff and I would need more advanced books.

I have followed a host of programmers here (Seun, Omo_to_dun, Fayimora etc) and I am really inspired.

Thank you in anticipation of your responses and willingness to help and bear with me for the lengthy post.
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by worldbest(m): 6:26pm On Nov 27, 2011
A programming career is wonderful, its what I would recommend to anyone who is serious because at the end of the day it pays big time. So my friend, you have made a good choice.

For your questions,

1. I do not see anything wrong in your approach. I see you have been reading a lot of programming resources and trying to catch up. However, you need to focus on the language(s) that is suitable for the field you are interested in.

2. First of all you need to learn for while before talking about clients. Atleast learn the basics. You need to get money out of your mind until you are certain that you have the skills to satisfy a client. I do not know much about getting clients, maybe guys like dhtml,dualcore etc can help.

3. Yep, you can get clients from home. A lot of guys on NL work from home.

4. To be honest I do not know. But, I suggest you dump those languages and go with the one used by a lot of people - PHP and MySQL. It has massive support - you can get help when you don't know what to do.

5. A social Network? Good but hope its not your first project o. PHP and MySQL will do the work. Facebook was built with PHP at the begining. Building a SN is a tasking but exciting job, but if you rush it or think about all the cash you would make, you may end up not completing it.

I hope the above helps. I wish you all the best in this hammering venture. If you are determined, you will get to you destination.
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by SUCCEED3: 7:23pm On Nov 27, 2011
worldbest:

A programming career is wonderful, its what I would recommend to anyone who is serious because at the end of the day it pays big time. So my friend, you have made a good choice.

For your questions,

1. I do not see anything wrong in your approach. I see you have been reading a lot of programming resources and trying to catch up. However, you need to focus on the language(s) that is suitable for the field you are interested in.

2. First of all you need to learn for while before talking about clients. Atleast learn the basics. You need to get money out of your mind until you are certain that you have the skills to satisfy a client. I do not know much about getting clients, maybe guys like dhtml,dualcore etc can help.

3. Yep, you can get clients from home. A lot of guys on NL work from home.

4. To be honest I do not know. But, I suggest you dump those languages and go with the one used by a lot of people - PHP and MySQL. It has massive support - you can get help when you don't know what to do.

5. A social Network? Good but hope its not your first project o. PHP and MySQL will do the work. Facebook was built with PHP at the begining. Building a SN is a tasking but exciting job, but if you rush it or think about all the cash you would make, you may end up not completing it.

I hope the above helps. I wish you all the best in this hammering venture. If you are determined, you will get to you destination.

@worldbest, thanks so much for your genuine advice, I appreciate it. The main reason I chose .Net is because I want to target enterprises like banks, insurance companies, pension companies etc and from my study, most of them use Microsoft products so I want develop apps that can seamlessly integrate with their existing platforms.
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by worldbest(m): 10:21pm On Nov 27, 2011
SUCCEED!:

@worldbest, thanks so much for your genuine advice, I appreciate it. The main reason I chose .Net is because I want to target enterprises like banks, insurance companies, pension companies etc and from my study, most of them use Microsoft products so I want develop apps that can seamlessly integrate with their existing platforms.

You are welcome bro. Since enterprises are your target then I would have to agree that .Net and Java are what you need.
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:31am On Nov 28, 2011
@OP while the tools you use are important, the idea is ultimately what will bring in the big bucks - i had a career too, switched and become an entrepreneur- i grant you this - you need an idea that gives you a Competitive and Strategic Advantage. I often read on NL most budding programmers working on similar projects and expecting a windfall whenever they are done coding. nutting wrong there, but if everyone is selling apples and oranges (fruits) how do you make break-away monies from it.

I will advise you fit your perceptions into an image of an Entrepreneur who has Programming skills rather than a Programmer with Entrepreneurial skills. Any programmer can code,but only an exceptional entrepreneur can turn code into money. As Seun wink
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by ManXTreme: 11:23am On Nov 28, 2011
Nice One Poster, I am in the same predicament, i would actively follow you on NL to see how your journey proceeds.
Investigate SharePoint (just a thought)
One idea, thats all you need, just one, you can not reinvent the wheel, but you can surely design better, safer and more durable tyres.
Not to knock your idea for a subject matter based social network, have you done (an informal) statistics of the volume of people interested in this subject matter, who are active online? Have you thought of another way to make money online other than advert traffic?
Another thought, instead of simply Enterprise Application, look into "SERVICES" developing applications that offer services such that you sell the service (and get a recurring income as against one of) to individuals and organisations.
These are things i am currently looking at
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by routik(m): 11:24am On Nov 28, 2011
I will advise you fit your perceptions into an image of an Entrepreneur who has Programming skills rather than a Programmer with Entrepreneurial skills. Any programmer can code,but only an exceptional entrepreneur can turn code into money.

I buy your concept, especially in the present economy. Talent/skills must be converted to money if not it will be a waste.
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by Fayimora(m): 11:29am On Nov 28, 2011
Sorry @OP am late, I see nothing wrong with what you are doing. In as much as I HATE C#, dere is nufin wrong with it. Stackoverflow was built and is still running on the .NET framework. Java is a good one as you can use frameworks like GWT or Spring for enterprise applications. Also, you get to easily write android apps.

I can flood your system with resources, just mail me saying what you need and I wud help you out.

Wish ya good luck.
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by richy5(m): 11:44am On Nov 28, 2011
@worldbest please i want o know about programming too,please can you tell me something i need to know or where do i start
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by moderatorr: 12:02pm On Nov 28, 2011
hey!
i am currently scripting a social network, i could help.

Hey again!
Am not reinventing any wheel, i am building a buldozzer tyre!
ADVICE:
if you want to learn programming, concentrate one and forget all the others, treating them as if they dont exist.

Only then can you attain proficiency.
Currently, i can raise the dead with php.
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by silvernus0: 12:13pm On Nov 28, 2011
Fayimora:

Sorry @OP am late,   I see nothing wrong with what you are doing. In as much as I HATE C#, dere is nufin wrong with it. Stackoverflow was built and is still running on the .NET framework.  Java is a good one as you can use frameworks like GWT or Spring for enterprise applications. Also, you get to easily write android apps.

I can flood your system with resources, just mail me saying what you need and I wud help you out.

Wish ya good luck.

Hi Fayimora i will lov to get some resources too on php ,cshp,java pls send to gozie_nwachrist@yahoo.com

many thanks
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by richy5(m): 12:22pm On Nov 28, 2011
I think i will like ot know more on php since its one of the most popular programmer language
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by richy5(m): 12:26pm On Nov 28, 2011
richy_mo@ymail.com @ fayimora and @ the moderator.plz i will like to to mail for some keys and tutorial on how to work on php.thankx man
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by MrWhy1(m): 2:37pm On Nov 28, 2011
Hey man, concentrate on the tools and become efficient in it. Then you will how to turn your ideas into practical work with these tools.
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by routik(m): 3:05pm On Nov 28, 2011
ADVICE:
if you want to learn programming, concentrate one and forget all the others, treating them as if they don't exist.

Only then can you attain proficiency.
Currently, i can raise the dead with php smiley .

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by vladimiros: 3:58pm On Nov 28, 2011
dude

I WANT TO WARN YOU

many people think they are good enough to form tech startups cuz they read too many succes stories,

DO IT CUZ YOU LOVE IT, MATE, I REPLY THE WORK IS HARD BUT FUN
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by vladimiros: 3:59pm On Nov 28, 2011
and another warning

the secret to social networking is SIMPLICITY,

don't walk away from that

hope you make it
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by udokpuenyi(m): 5:02pm On Nov 28, 2011
Just to add to what other fellows have said.
1. always look for opportunity to test your knowledge if at a liitle fee, that is the only way you can grow and gain confidence.
2. Secondly, you must know how to google for information and use forum to gather information
3. Start now to negotiate with your wife cos programming involves working late nites when your wife might need your attention
4. Start now to study database progamming and sql cos no mater the language or script you decide to use at last , you must interact with database

All the you made a good choice
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by SUCCEED3: 5:22am On Nov 29, 2011
@All

Thank you all for all the useful comments and tips, I sure am going to use them, I really appreciate you guys a lot. Please still keep the comments coming.
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by Bossman(m): 7:05pm On Nov 29, 2011
You will certainly SUCCEED if you work very hard. What you have going for you is that, you already have a background in computer science/programming. Like others said, pick the tools you need and learn it very well, then go from there. Even if it means working for someone, you will generate income and use that time to formulate your ideas.

In my opinion, you really have to love programming and be up to the challenge to be successful at it. Yes, it pays well, but it's certainly not easy. And this is where a lot of people go wrong. They go into it thinking 'money', however they can't withstand the challenge that goes with it.

There are lots of resources at your fingertips. Best of luck!
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by SUCCEED3: 7:30am On Nov 30, 2011
Bossman:

You will certainly SUCCEED if you work very hard. What you have going for you is that, you already have a background in computer science/programming. Like others said, pick the tools you need and learn it very well, then go from there. Even if it means working for someone, you will generate income and use that time to formulate your ideas.

In my opinion, you really have to love programming and be up to the challenge to be successful at it. Yes, it pays well, but it's certainly not easy. And this is where a lot of people go wrong. They go into it thinking 'money', however they can't withstand the challenge that goes with it.

There are lots of resources at your fingertips. Best of luck!

Thank you @Bossman for your advice and words of encouragement, I have taken the decision and I'm quite determined at it.
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by abbyode(m): 11:57am On Nov 30, 2011
Since you are just starting up, I will like to introduce you to Alpha five Version 11 tool. You can google it like that. That's what you need, trust me. If you have any question you may send me an email on abiodunode@aol.com. Best of luck !!!
Re: I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide by Nobody: 9:49pm On Dec 02, 2011
Guy jump into a free phpmysql class - http://www.classes..net/

(1) (Reply)

wizGrade School Manager is Open Source - 100% free + source code / Internships With Google / Any Assembly Language Programmer Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.