Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,918 members, 7,817,691 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? (1514 Views)

Where Are The Buses GEJ Promised Us After Subsidy Protest? / Nigerians In The Uk Cleared For Fuel Subsidy Protest On Friday 6th / Another Fuel Subsidy Protest In Ibadan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by Nchara: 10:57pm On Nov 28, 2011
Why we can’t tax Osun people, by Aregbesola
By Adesoji Adeniyi 21 hours 46 minutes ago
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
Rauf Aregbesola Rauf Aregbesola

Osun State Governor Rauf Aregbesola at the weekend explained why his administration has refused to tax the people.

Aregbesola said his people are very poor and tax would be an unnecessary burden on them.

He spoke at the Banquet Hall of the State House in Osogbo, the state capital, during a dinner with representatives of various financial institutions.

The dinner was part of activities marking the one year anniversary of the Aregbesola administration in office.

The governor urged the institutions to assist in eradicating poverty in the state, assuring them of security and a business friendly environment.

He solicited for funds to finance capital projects and programmes that would improve the state’s economy.

Aregbesola said: “I am in Osun State to eradicate poverty. If you are talking about Unclad poverty, it is here in the state. We can not tax anybody here because we do not want them to die.

“Are we going to tax people waiting to die? We were able to save 13 million in the last year, not through tax, but by blocking leakages in the system. So you bankers have no choice than to help us deliver good governance to the people. We need your support to eradicate poverty.

“I am amused about the uninformed comments of our predecessor in office about the finances of the state. They are confused and cannot comprehend what we are doing because they are not financially literate.

“We have the vision, passion and action. I am here to change the fate of the black man through the various programmes and projects of our unusual and unconventional government.

“My predecessor left the state’s account in a bad state. We met a suffocating loan of N18.3 billion, which the Olagunsoye Oyinlola administration secured in an unprofessional manner.

“But within a year in office, my administration was able to increase the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) of the state from N300 million to N600 million and pay the loan through the access of N25 million bond from the bank, with the monthly servicing of less than N100 million, instead of the N800 million used to service the former loan.”

The governor said his administration does not wait for the federal allocation before it pays its workers, adding that any state waiting for it is doomed. 

He said states rejected the October allocation because of President Goodluck Jonathan’s decision to deduct some amount from it for the creation of Sovereign Wealth.

Aregbesola said nobody has the right to deduct from any state’s allocation without the governor’s consent.

He advised state governments to exploit other avenues for generating revenue.

Commissioner for Finance, Economic Planning and Budgeting, Dr. wale Bolorunduro said the government plans to increase the IGR to N1 billion next year.

On incessant bank robberies in the state, Bolorunduro said the government has collaborated with security agencies to forestall a recurrence. He said the governor has ordered for five Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) and established a security trust fund to combat the menace.

Many of the bank executives acknowledged the governor’s passion for development and promised to support his administration.

They include: Ayo Abina, Skye Bank; Elias Akenzua, Zenith Bank; Akinleye Ogunleye, Diamond Bank; and Boyin Oladokun, Unity Bank.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/27811-why-we-can%E2%80%99t-tax-osun-people%2C-by-aregbesola.html
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by Nchara: 10:58pm On Nov 28, 2011
Emerging trend of social almajiri in Yorubaland
By Hakeem Jamiu

There is a social malaise which is gradually creeping into the lexicon of Yorubaland and this is the ugly spectre of hungry children begging for food and alms at social events. Older women are equally not left out in this ugly but strange practice in Yorubaland. It is strange in Yorubaland because the concept of almajiri which simply means street urchin is common in the Northern part of the country. Yorubas use to refer derisively to anybody soliciting for arms in Yorubaland in the olden days as almajiri. The almajiri of the North are usually children between the age bracket of 7 and 20 in most cases. Almajiris are so desperate for food that any unsuspecting visitor to the Northern part of the country who goes to a restaurant to eat but mistakenly left his food to wash his hands is likely to lose such to waiting almajiris before he comes back for the food.

I first noticed this ugly trend at a ceremony I attended a few months ago at Ayetoro Ekiti. Elderly and middle aged able bodied women from Kwara, Osun and Oyo states invaded the burial ceremony uninvited and were embarrassing guests who refused to give them money. Also noticeable were children with their begging bowls who thronged the venue of the ceremony soliciting for left over food and alms. The children were a pitiable sight. Poverty was clearly written on their faces. I have attended many social functions after that and the same trend was noticeable. But I became worried a few days ago, when I attended the burial ceremony of a friend's father in Ilesha , Osun State . They came in various groups and employ different methods in soliciting for alms. There were the elderly women who were busy harassing guests in the name of praise singing and would not leave until you part with money, there were the men with their public address system which they use in praise singing but which is disturbance and yet, there were Yoruba children in the mould of almajiris with their begging bowls scrambling for left-over and at the same time soliciting for alms.

Fellow guests on my table at the event who were also journalists expressed their concern in unison about the growing trend of almajiri of various categories in Yorubaland. They all agreed that it has become a social problem. We started discussing and realised that the culture of begging in the mould of almajiris is alien to Yoruba culture. In those days before the advent of the British, the Yorubas are a proud people known for their hard work and industry. They practiced hoe agriculture and were well known as traders and for their crafts. Yoruba artists have produced masterpieces of woodcarving and bronze casting, some of which date from as early as the 13th century. Many of Nigeria 's best-known artists and writers are Yoruba. Other occupation of the Yorubas at that time were drumming and masquerading which would now be called showbiz. They engage in all the foregoing occupation but a Yoruba man or woman (able bodied) would not beg for alms as it is considered shameful and something akin to a curse. The Yorubas cherish their oriki (folklore) which is a poetic version of eulogizing the exploits of their progenitors which is an incentive for them to excel and even surpass their progenitors. The Yorubas have harsh words for lazy people. Such people are objects of ridicule and butt of jokes in the society. With this background, it is understandable why we became worried with the array of beggars at the Ilesha ceremony.

After leaving the party, I reflected on the scenario of the almajiris in Ilesha and I was able to draw a relationship between Political almajiris and social almajiris. I discovered that social almajiri had its root in the advent of the politics of do -or-die introduced into the political lexicon of Yorubaland by apostles of mainstream politics especially ex-President Obasanjo. The grand Patron of political almajiris who recently passed away was Chief Lamidi Adedibu. Many have argued that his death has led to the proliferation of almajiris in Yorubaland. This is because those he hitherto dole handouts to must look for other means of survival since he is no more. These political almajiris are ready to exchange their mothers for few coins. A new political class of men without integrity and anything goes was created and they became political almajiris who survive on crumbs from their masters. They would rig, kill, maim and do all sort of things to acquire political power. With the ascension of these men in power, good governance became a thing of the past. Our collective patrimony was squandered by these political almajiris. Nigeria has never been so blessed with petro dollar with oil selling for $156 dollars per barrel but Nigeria has never been so poor with a chunk of the population living below poverty line. So versions of the political almajiris are the social almajiris that now invade ceremonies in Yorubaland. With these children begging for alms, a ready made market for thuggery and other social vices is assured. The activities of the beggars are not limited to parties. At bus stops in our cities, it is a common sight to see women most of who are still in their mid thirties, who would strap a baby at their backs and approach men with stories of despair to solicit for alms. Many of them would end up in bed with such men. This is another brand of alamajiri and these are Yoruba women. A violent version of almajiri but which is gradually being tackled in Lagos is the 'Area Boys' syndrome. These are Yoruba street urchins who are semi- armed robbers.

The underlying factor in this new trend is failure of the Nigerian State on one part and the laziness on the part of these women. Most of them don't want to work,  In those days, when everybody's occupation was farming you dare not beg. You must find something to do. But these days, our women and children are too lazy. It is either they steal or beg. In most cases a mother and child become almajiris at social events. So the question now is can a Yoruba man now refer derisively to a Hausa beggar as almajiri when we have many of them now in Yorubaland? The answer is no! This trend must be arrested before it goes out of hand. The almajiris in the North these days engage in novel forms of drug abuse like sniffing of gutter water to get intoxicated, sniffing of adhesives and other drugs so that they are ever ready to unleash terror on the rest of the society whenever they are called upon to do so by the political wing of almajiris. I strongly recommend that guests at public functions must stop encouraging almajiris by giving them money.

But can government which itself owns the political wing of almajiris arrest this trend? Time will tell.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-149827.0.html
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by Nchara: 2:54am On Nov 29, 2011
So if you wanna invest in a tax haven Osun is the place to head to grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Just go there, lie low, no flaunting of wealth, make your dough and pay nothing in return grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by chino11(m): 10:48am On Nov 29, 2011
Yoroobas are damn too poor.
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by jason123: 10:53am On Nov 29, 2011
LOL @topic grin grin grin
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by FACE(m): 10:54am On Nov 29, 2011
Nchara:

Why we can’t tax Osun people, by Aregbesola
By Adesoji Adeniyi 21 hours 46 minutes ago
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
Rauf Aregbesola Rauf Aregbesola

Osun State Governor Rauf Aregbesola at the weekend explained why his administration has refused to tax the people.

Aregbesola said his people are very poor and tax would be an unnecessary burden on them.

He spoke at the Banquet Hall of the State House in Osogbo, the state capital, during a dinner with representatives of various financial institutions.

The dinner was part of activities marking the one year anniversary of the Aregbesola administration in office.

The governor urged the institutions to assist in eradicating poverty in the state, assuring them of security and a business friendly environment.

He solicited for funds to finance capital projects and programmes that would improve the state’s economy.

Aregbesola said: “I am in Osun State to eradicate poverty. If you are talking about Unclad poverty, it is here in the state. We can not tax anybody here because we do not want them to die.

“Are we going to tax people waiting to die? We were able to save 13 million in the last year, not through tax, but by blocking leakages in the system. So you bankers have no choice than to help us deliver good governance to the people. We need your support to eradicate poverty.

“I am amused about the uninformed comments of our predecessor in office about the finances of the state. They are confused and cannot comprehend what we are doing because they are not financially literate.

“We have the vision, passion and action. I am here to change the fate of the black man through the various programmes and projects of our unusual and unconventional government.

“My predecessor left the state’s account in a bad state. We met a suffocating loan of N18.3 billion, which the Olagunsoye Oyinlola administration secured in an unprofessional manner.

“But within a year in office, my administration was able to increase the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) of the state from N300 million to N600 million
and pay the loan through the access of N25 million bond from the bank, with the monthly servicing of less than N100 million, instead of the N800 million used to service the former loan.”

The governor said his administration does not wait for the federal allocation before it pays its workers, adding that any state waiting for it is doomed.

He said states rejected the October allocation because of President Goodluck Jonathan’s decision to deduct some amount from it for the creation of Sovereign Wealth.

Aregbesola said nobody has the right to deduct from any state’s allocation without the governor’s consent.

He advised state governments to exploit other avenues for generating revenue.

Commissioner for Finance, Economic Planning and Budgeting, Dr. wale Bolorunduro said the government plans to increase the IGR to N1 billion next year.

On incessant bank robberies in the state, Bolorunduro said the government has collaborated with security agencies to forestall a recurrence. He said the governor has ordered for five Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) and established a security trust fund to combat the menace.

Many of the bank executives acknowledged the governor’s passion for development and promised to support his administration.

They include: Ayo Abina, Skye Bank; Elias Akenzua, Zenith Bank; Akinleye Ogunleye, Diamond Bank; and Boyin Oladokun, Unity Bank.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/27811-why-we-can%E2%80%99t-tax-osun-people%2C-by-aregbesola.html

Hmmm, is this not the same Osun with an IGR in excess of N5 Billion according to the stats posted by someone a couple of weeks ago ? It's good to let the "horse" talk in order to hear directly from him.

In any case, the governor is right. You don't tax people just because they are in existence. Tax should be reserved for people at work, businesses and commodities.

Nchara, O kwa i ma na i na achokwanu okwu ?
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Nov 29, 2011
Give them one slap each, them the money would come out. Aregberascal
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by Nchara: 5:46pm On Nov 29, 2011
FACE:

Hmmm, is this not the same Osun with an IGR in excess of N5 Billion according to the stats posted by someone a couple of weeks ago ? It's good to let the "horse" talk in order to hear directly from him.

In any case, the governor is right. You don't tax people just because they are in existence. Tax should be reserved for people at work, businesses and commodities.

Nchara, O kwa i ma na i na achokwanu okwu ?

Nwanna,

Kedu kwa nu ihe ichoro kam kwue? Obughi onye di ndu na akwu tax?
BTW, I read you battling with Kobojunkie and her fellow junkies in the Abia diagnostic centre thread. Jisie ike
Una na edifendi, anyi na ataki. Hahahahahha!!!
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by Nchara: 4:42pm On Jan 17, 2012
This has to do with why the protest was so loud in the SW: poverty
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by ak47mann(m): 5:04pm On Jan 17, 2012
i believe that self employ is not meant 4 everybody,but time has come for others to use their heads to make a living,
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by Nchara: 5:41pm On Jan 17, 2012
ak47mann:

i believe that self employ is not meant 4 everybody,but time has come for others to use their heads to make a living,

Not everyone can muster the intellect to be self employed. E dey for blood. grin grin grin
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by ak47mann(m): 5:44pm On Jan 17, 2012
^^
very true!!!
abeg listen to this EDO babe wey dey tell igbo boy sayy she no like igbo people at the same time she no wan condom cheesy cheesy say woman water dey make man skin light grin grin grin i don die from laugh i swear,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyv6mxWvCTs
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by GeneralGEJ: 5:48pm On Jan 17, 2012
These Ibos think i gave shitttt about thems.  All i need is your vote
the owners of Nigeria my boss - will never allow an ibo president.  

but let meshare a secret with you  - the voting block of se/ss can nver deliver presidency for you - fact. hence you wil have no choice but to beg the yaribas for vote.  another secret - the relationship btw ss/se is fake. I has an ijaw man dont trust an ibo man.
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by Nchara: 5:50pm On Jan 17, 2012
GeneralGEJ:

but let meshare a secret with you  - the voting block of se/ss can nver deliver presidency for you - fact. hence you wil have no choice but to beg the yaribas for vote.  another secret - the relationship btw ss/se is fake. I has an ijaw man dont trust an ibo man.

Is this the original GEJ or the mutant one? We know GEJ, who are you? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by ak47mann(m): 5:53pm On Jan 17, 2012
GeneralGEJ:

angry angry
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by GeneralGEJ: 5:53pm On Jan 17, 2012
Nchara:

Is this the original GEJ or the mutant one? We know GEJ, who are you? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

dont forget my secret.  share it with the rest of ibos - I am trying my best to deliver a ibo president  - but it is going to be tough.  Please go easy on the anti yaribas threads , u will need their votes
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by Nchara: 6:30pm On Jan 17, 2012
GeneralGEJ:

dont forget my secret.  share it with the rest of ibos - I am trying my best to deliver a ibo president  - but it is going to be tough.  Please go easy on the anti yaribas threads , u will need their votes

Every Nigerian zone needs the vote of the other. This is  a time-tested fact. However, it is a matter of rub my back I rub yours. Igbos have rubbed others' back. We have rubbed North's, SW's (Abiola, OBJ) and SS's back. For the purpose of equality and justice, 2015 is our turn to get our back rubbed. Otherwise, it is going to be a political stand off that we will have to sit down and harsh out. As you can see from the last election, Igbos are beginning to see the strength in their numbers and the strength in using that number for a common goal. We practically put GEJ there, damning all the juicy lures from his opponents.
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by Nchara: 2:10am On Jan 18, 2012
bump
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by sbeezy8: 2:24am On Jan 18, 2012
poster is a sick B astard- See delta state protest

[size=14pt]Protesters shut down Warri, Effurun, Udu
[/size]

on JANUARY 9, 2012 · in NEWS

By Emma Amaize, Emma Arubi, Akpokona Omafuaire

WARRI- THE oil city of Warri, neighboring Effurun ,Udu and environs in Delta State were shut down Monday following a mass protestby irate citizens protesting the removal of fuel subsidy by the FederalGovernment.

The protest, which was in compliance with thedirective of the organized labour and civil society was led by the Delta statecoordinator of the NLC/TUC and civil society group, Casely Omon-Irabor Esq.

The response was massive and total from what Vanguardwitnessed a position that was corroborated by the state coordinator of the Forumfor Justice and Human Rights Defence, FJHD, Oghenejabor Ikimi Esq.
As at 6.00 am, Omon-Irabor was already at thetake-off point of the mass protest in Warri, according to our findings tocoordinate the day’s event, while people started gathering at about 7.30 am.
The protest commenced in Warri some few minutes to 9.00 am at the old Warri Port gate withprayers and advice from the organizers to the protesters to be orderly.

The previous night, there was an unconfirmed report that Boko Haram suicide bombers andmembers with guns and machete had infiltrated the subsidy protests in Lagos,Abuja, Edo, Delta, Kaduna, Kwara and Rivers states to cause mayhem.

Labour leaders and citizens were urged to be watchout for infiltrators, but in Warri, there was a heavy presence of security agents,as the protesters marched from old Warri Port enroute Effurun roundabout toGovernment House Annex, along the NPA expressway.

There was total compliance as shops, markets,offices and banks were all locked up. The main market, Warri and Okere marketwere also closed.
Omon-Irabor addressed the public at Okere marketjunction, stating reasons for the mass protests by Nigerians and calling all citizensto reject the bad policy, no matter the inconvenience. He said the will of peoplewould certainly triumph over the dictates of the powerful few in Aso Villa.
He said the motion passed, Sunday, by the House ofRepresentatives calling on the Federal Government to suspend the about 120 percent increase in the price of fuel was an indication that even those ingovernment know that the decision was ill advised, adding that except the priceof petrol was reverted to the old price of N65, the protests would continue.

As at 11.51 am, the protesters have reached EnerhenJunction and in the words of Oghenejabor Ikimi, “It is a peaceful protest and ahuge success. I can tell you that there is total compliance. Warri and environswere shut down. The protest here is a massive one”.
“I urge the president to respect the views of Nigerians and their representatives in theHouse of Representatives by suspending the removal of subsidy on petrol beforedialoging with Nigerians on the way forward”, he asserted.
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by sbeezy8: 2:25am On Jan 18, 2012
[size=14pt]Removal of Fuel Subsidy - Protesters Ground Benin City
[/size]

Simon Ebegbulem 5 January 2012
Email|Print|Comment
Share:

Benin City — ECONOMIC activities were grounded in Benin City, Edo State capital Thursday, when market women, youths, Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress (TUC), Civil society organizations under the umbrella of the Coalition to Save Nigeria, in their thousands, stormed the streets of the ancient city, protesting the Federal Government's removal of fuel subsidy.

The peaceful protest which started at about 6:30am, commenced at Ring Road, the heart of the city, forcing banks and other business organizations to be under lock and key till 12pm. The protesters called for the immediate resignation of the Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, accusing her of coming to implement the agenda of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank.

The protest was led by the Chairman of the State chapter of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), Dr Philip Ugbodaga, President of the Environmental Rights Action (ERA), Nimo Bassey, President of the Conference of NGOs in the state, Comrade Austin Osakwe, Executive Director of the African Network for Environment and Economic Justice (ANEEJ), Rev. David Ugolor, Sabina Osehobo, Igbotako Nowinta and Dr (Mrs) Victoria Amun.

Relevant Links
West Africa
Nigeria
Petroleum
Governance
Labour
NGO
The protesters carried a coffin and placards reading "Jonathan you are a disappointment, resign now", "Edo people say no to fuel", "Jonathan, we are disappointed with you", "Resign if you are incapable". A combined unit of mobile policemen and soldiers were following the protesters to ensure that the peaceful protest was not hijacked by hoodlums.

Dr Ugbodaga who addressed the crowd, lamented that Nigerians have suffered for too long and argued that rather than removing subsidy, the Federal Government should cut the cost of governance and fix the economy for the better.

In a letter addressed to President Goodluck Jonathan, which the Coalition handed over to Governor Adams Oshiomhole at Government House yesterday, it stated that "in the interest of peace, unity and progress in Nigeria, we recommend the immediate reverse of the price of fuel to N65.00k in the first instance and thereafter to N39.50k, which is the ideal price of a liter of petrol.
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by Nobody: 2:38am On Jan 18, 2012
Nchara:

Not everyone can muster the intellect to be self employed. E dey for blood. grin grin grin

Of course, especially if most of you have the intellect of a bonobo.
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by Nchara: 2:51am On Jan 18, 2012
Sbeezysy the fool

Read the topic. It is about loudness of the protest as opposed to the protest in itself. Of course every zone protested but differently. Some (SW/North) protested as though their lives depended on it, while the SE and SS protested like civilized gentlemen.
Re: Is poverty D reason for D loudness of D subsidy protest in some parts of Nig? by ak47mann(m): 9:48am On Jan 18, 2012
they are learning from us naah cool

(1) (Reply)

Wristwatch Designer Other Govt Cronies Got Fuel Import Allocation / How International Conspiracy Robbed Nigeria Of Bakassi / Economic Impact Of Yahoo Boys And Juju Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.