Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,665 members, 7,823,883 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

The Truth About Ojukwu And His Biafran War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Truth About Ojukwu And His Biafran War (1461 Views)

Abacha, Ojukwu And Gowon In A Private Jet (Throwback Photo) / Ojukwu And Gowon Eating Together At Aburu,ghana 1967 - Photo / Throw Back Picture Of Odimegwu Ojukwu And Wife Stella (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Truth About Ojukwu And His Biafran War by scribble: 12:46am On Nov 30, 2011
The following is an excerpt from an exclusive interview with Chief Awolowo

CHANGE OF CURRENCY

And it is on record that Ojukwu admitted that two things defeated him in this war, that’s as at the day he left Biafra. He said one, the change of currency, he said that was the first thing that defeated him, and we did that to prevent Ojukwu taking the money which his soldiers has stolen from our Central bank for sale abroad to buy arms. We discovered he looted our Central bank in Benin, he looted the one in Port Harcourt, looted the one in Calabar and he was taking the currency notes abroad to sell to earn foreign exchange to buy arms.

So I decided to change the currency, and for your benefit, it can now be told the whole world, only Gowon knew the day before, the day before the change took place. I decided, only three of us knew before then- Isong now governor of Cross River, Attah and myself. It was a closely guarded secret, if any commissioner at the time say that he knew about it, he’s only boosting his own ego. Because once you tell someone, he’ll tell another person. So we refused to tell them and we changed the currency notes. So Ojukwu said the change in currency defeated him, and starvation of his soldiers also defeated him.

These were the two things that defeated Ojukwu. And, he reminds me, when you saw Ojukwu’s picture after the war, did he look like someone who’s not well fed? But he has been taking the food which we send to civilians, and so we stopped the food.

You can read the whole part on the Biafran war somewhere down the page in this link
http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/newsflash/exclusive-chief-obafemi-awolowo-on-biafra-in-his-own-words.html
Re: The Truth About Ojukwu And His Biafran War by hakanai(m): 12:19pm On Nov 30, 2011
So sad it had to end that way.While people are mentioning ethnic managers of the war,how come i have not heard of a Hausa man or far northerner?Apart from people like Ojukwu,Gowon,Obasanjo & Awolowo.Yet the hausa man and the far north takes all the heat undecided undecided undecided

(1) (Reply)

Unconfirmed Rumour. Boko +aram Plans To Bomb Lagos On Jan 1st 2012 / Nigeria: New Evidence Reveals How Ken Saro-wiwa Was Allegedly Framed / Abusing Nigerians Who Criticise Nigeria Abraod - Why Are We So Shallow?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.