Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,417 members, 7,826,606 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Justified—by Faith Or Works? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Justified—by Faith Or Works? (4223 Views)

My Pastor Justified Taking Another Wife With Scripture, Is He Right? / Are We Saved By Faith Or By Water Baptism? / How Is One Justified? By Works (laws) Alone Or By Faith Alone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:58am On Nov 30, 2011
Justified—by Faith Or Works?

"Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified" (Galatians 2:16).

Some have argued that James contradicts Paul at this point, since James emphasized that both Abraham and Rahab, among others, were justified by works (James 2:21,25).  In fact, this seeming conflict between Paul and James has often been cited as one of the "contradictions" of the Bible.

There is no contradiction, however.  Neither Abraham nor Rahab could have been justified by the "works of the law," and James never said they were.  Abraham lived before God even gave the law to Moses, and Rahab lived in a pagan culture which knew nothing about it.  Furthermore, James himself knew that no one could really be saved by the law, for he said that "whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all" (James 2:10).

Actually, both Abraham and Rahab were "justified" —which means "seen as righteous"—by faith in God and His provision of salvation (note James 2:23; Hebrews 11:31).  The righteousness of Christ, who did keep perfectly the law of God, is imputed to believers by faith (Romans 4:3–5).  God sees him or her as "in Christ," and so they are justified (recognised as righteous) solely through faith.

However, other men cannot see our faith, and therefore we must be justified in the sight of men by our works.  True saving faith inevitably will manifest itself in works of righteousness.  "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: . . . For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained, that we should walk in them" (Ephesians 2:8,10). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by tpia5: 5:46am On Nov 30, 2011
faith, which is the spiritual aspect manifested in or by works.

works are physical, dealing with earthly things.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by italo: 12:05pm On Nov 30, 2011
tpia@:

faith, which is the spiritual aspect manifested in or by works.

works are physical, dealing with earthly things.

you are mistaken. works are not only physical; they can also be spiritual e.g prayer, meditation, self-control etc

@olaadegbu:

Your question: Justified--by faith or works?

My answer: Justified--by faith AND works!

1 Like

Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by tpia5: 12:28pm On Nov 30, 2011
^You can post your response without going into unnecessary argument and without quoting me.

The op asked a questión- feel free to give your opinion without turning everything into a game of oneupmanship.

Now having said that, you need to support your position with relevant bible verses since you're clearly in error and its not even certain you're a christian at all.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by italo: 12:55pm On Nov 30, 2011
The rich young ruler: "good teacher what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

Jesus: "keep the commandments; go and sell all you have, give the money to the poor, then come and follow me". (Faith and Works)

If it were just faith, Jesus could have said, 'believe in me'

Are you okay or you still want more?

By the way, I hope you are not like olaadegbu that is known for twisting scripture to suit his own misguided opinions. It would be of know use showing you scriptural backing for my position if that's the case.

And wether its certain that I'm a christian or not? You can feel that I'm a muslim or an atheist or a pagan or even the devil himself but if God sees me as a Christian, then my Joy is complete.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by Zikkyy(m): 3:40pm On Nov 30, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

True saving faith inevitably will manifest itself in works of righteousness.

This is the 'koko' of the faith/works issue. Faith and works are inseparable.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by tpia5: 9:30pm On Nov 30, 2011
@ italo

so in what way are you contradicting what i said?

plz go back and reread my post.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:56am On Dec 03, 2011
italo:

you are mistaken. works are not only physical; they can also be spiritual e.g prayer, meditation, self-control etc

@olaadegbu:

Your question: Justified--by faith or works?

My answer: Justified--by faith AND works!

If you can be justified by works why then do you need faith?
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by kelz88(f): 2:03am On Dec 03, 2011
James 2:14-26
New King James Version (NKJV)
Faith Without Works Is Dead
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:10am On Dec 03, 2011
italo:

The rich young ruler: "good teacher what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

Jesus: "keep the commandments; go and sell all you have, give the money to the poor, then come and follow me". (Faith and Works)

If it were just faith, Jesus could have said, 'believe in me'

Are you okay or you still want more?

By the way, I hope you are not like olaadegbu that is known for twisting scripture to suit his own misguided opinions. It would be of know use showing you scriptural backing for my position if that's the case.

And wether its certain that I'm a christian or not? You can feel that I'm a muslim or an atheist or a pagan or even the devil himself but if God sees me as a Christian, then my Joy is complete.

If you must understand the point Jesus was making here. Jesus made it clear to the rich young ruler that no man is good enough to get to heaven. The rich young ruler kept all the commandments bar one and that is not good enough because God's standard is 100%. The one thing that kept him from this standard was love for money, which breaks the first commandment. It is only when we put our trust in Jesus Christ just as a man will trust in the ability of a parachute to keep him from crash landing, that we would be saved when we pass through the gates of death.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:11am On Dec 03, 2011
Zikkyy:

This is the 'koko' of the faith/works issue. Faith and works are inseparable.

Was Abraham, the father of faith justified by faith or by works?
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:14am On Dec 03, 2011
kelz88:

James 2:14-26
New King James Version (NKJV)
Faith Without Works Is Dead

Explain. cool
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by kelz88(f): 3:30am On Dec 03, 2011
Dude, haven't you got a bible?
You could have easily asked google for the scripture.

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[a] works, and I will show you my faith by my[b] works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?[c] 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[d]And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

>>Believing AND actually doing something.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by PastorAIO: 4:25am On Dec 03, 2011
In fact, the only reason that these guys are DOING NOTHING and reveling in it, even lauding their lack of WORKS, is because they do not have FAITH in the first place. It is so obvious. It is a purposeful twisting of christianity to accomodate their total lack of spiritual substance.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by PastorAIO: 4:26am On Dec 03, 2011
How do you twist this? Please try, I want to be entertained.

24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by Joagbaje(m): 8:01am On Dec 03, 2011
The confusion on this is based on the differences between . James and Paul's revelation.

Romans 3:28
28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

James 2:24
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

A man is justified by faith only. But faith has works, there are certain things which we require to do as our expression of faith. We can call them "works of faith" but it is not the these works that justifies but faith itself. So my point, faith has works,but the works are merely expression of faith.

We should rather dwell on Paul's revelation. James point to the fact that there are works of faith. But the only problem is that it is not the works that justifies. he alluded Abrahams justification to his work. That is not correct.

James 2:21
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

Romans 4:2
2 If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about–but not before God.

A good example is our salvation and moral living. If you are saved , you live morally ,but it is not the moral living that brings salvation, it is only an expression of the God life in you. If a man lives morally without Christ ,he can't be saved , because it is not of works.

Ephesians 2:9
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:10am On Dec 03, 2011
Joagbaje:

A man is justified by faith only. But faith has works, there are certain things which we require to do as our expression of faith. We can call them "works of faith" but it is not the these works that justifies but faith itself. So my point, faith has works,but the works are merely expression of faith.

God bless you for that answer. Our works is truly an expression of our faith. Works is a product of our faith.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by Enigma(m): 8:58am On Dec 03, 2011
There is no contradiction between the teachings of Jesus, James and Paul. Yes, the perception of contradiction has existed for a long time but really careful readership reading and scholarship have long reconciled the perceived contradiction.

According to Jesus, faith will produce works

John 15:5

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

According to James, faith will produce works

James 2:18
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

According to Paul, faith will produce works

Titus 2
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; 14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

- also earlier in same Titus 2
7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by Joagbaje(m): 9:04am On Dec 03, 2011
I understand James perspective. He made a good point. Faith is dead without work. But the truth remains. A man is only justified by faith. Not by the works .that doesnt negate the place of the works
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by Enigma(m): 9:08am On Dec 03, 2011
James did not preach salvation by works.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by PastorAIO: 3:32pm On Dec 03, 2011
It might be worth considering that when Paul was railing against works of the laws he was actually specifically referring to the ritual acts of circumcision and the dietary code. These were the sticking points in Paul's ministry and as he went on and on about it it is quite possible that he didn't realise that things he said against these particular aspects of the law would eventually be applied to the entire law, including the aspects of moral conduct.

If you don't have to be circumcised then by the same argument you don't have to honour your neighbour's wife.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by PastorAIO: 3:34pm On Dec 03, 2011
Joagbaje:

I understand James perspective. He made a good point. Faith is dead without work. But the truth remains. A man is only justified by faith. Not by the works .that doesnt negate the place of the works

This is a good example. I think what Paul is trying to say here is that the Circumcision ritual is not what will make you justified before God. This argument is then later applied to the entire law.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by Daiquiri: 4:57pm On Dec 03, 2011
Pastor AIO:

It might be worth considering that when Paul was railing against works of the laws he was actually specifically referring to the ritual acts of circumcision and the dietary code. 

These were the sticking points in Paul's ministry and as he went on and on about it it is quite possible that he didn't realise that things he said against these particular aspects of the law would eventually be applied to the entire law, including the aspects of moral conduct. 

If you don't have to be circumcised then by the same argument you don't have to honour your neighbour's wife.

Joagbaje:

I understand James perspective. He made a good point. Faith is dead without work.

But the truth remains. A man is only justified by faith. Not by the works .that doesnt negate the place of the works

Pastor AIO:

This is a good example. 

I think what Paul is trying to say here is that the Circumcision ritual is not what will make you justified before God.  This argument is then later applied to the entire law. 

@Pastor AIO

before I post and share on Abraham's "faith", his "work(s)" and the "Circumcision ritual"

explain or shed some light on the bolded part please (i.e.  ". . . you don't have to honour your neighbour's wife"wink undecided undecided undecided
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by PastorAIO: 5:25pm On Dec 03, 2011
circumcision is in the law. it is annulled. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours wife is in the law. it is annulled.

Daiquiri:

@Pastor AIO

before I post and share on Abraham's "faith", his "work(s)" and the "Circumcision ritual"

explain or shed some light on the bolded part please (i.e.  ". . . you don't have to honour your neighbour's wife"wink undecided undecided undecided
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by Daiquiri: 5:42pm On Dec 03, 2011
Pastor AIO:

circumcision is in the law.  it is annulled.  Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours wife is in the law.  it is annulled.

@Pastor AIO

Thank you for the prompt reply

Of course, dont we all know that

However  isnt "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours wife is in the law" and " . . . don't have to honour your neighbour's wife" dissimilar

Inadvertently confugulating. Yeah?

Anyway, what I'll be sharing is in accord with your "circumcision is in the law.  it is annulled"

and is about what brought it and/or how it came about (i.e. Abram and/or Abraham stringing God along etc)

grin grin grin Just making me laugh, thinking about it

Abram and/or Abraham holding God up with his various antics & how God showing him how He meant business

(i.e. by asking Abram to set himself & his household up for a kick, literally, where it hurts the most)

Faith? Work? Faith and work? Counted for righteousness? pfft smh
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:05pm On Dec 03, 2011
Joagbaje:

The confusion on this is based on the differences between . James and Paul's revelation.

There is neither any confusion nor is there any difference between Apostles James and Paul's revelation when you look at the big picture.

Joagbaje:

Romans 3:28
28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

James 2:24
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

Paul was saying a man can stand before God as though he never sinned (Justified by faith alone) while James is saying that the evidence seen by men that a person is justified before God is his works.  God sees the heart while men see the physical appearance.  You see how one comes before the other.

Joagbaje:

This is where I agreed with you before you edited your post with the "contradictions."  Works are the products (evidence) of one's faith in Christ.

Joagbaje:

We should rather dwell on Paul's revelation. James point to the fact that there are works of faith. But the only problem is that it is not the works that justifies. he alluded Abrahams justification to his work. That is not correct.

You missed the whole point here.

Joagbaje:

James 2:21
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

Abraham's work here was a manifestation of his justification by faith that he had about 40 years earlier.  It was faith that led Abraham to this act of obedience.

Joagbaje:

Romans 4:2
2 If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about–but not before God.

He could only boast before men but not before God of his works.

Joagbaje:

A good example is our salvation and moral living. If you are saved , you live morally ,but it is not the moral living that brings salvation, it is only an expression of the God life in you. If a man lives morally without Christ ,he can't be saved , because it is not of works.

Ephesians 2:9
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

This moral expression is what people see to say that he is justified.  As Enigma said, if the branch is not abiding in the vine there is no fruit to show for it.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:14pm On Dec 03, 2011
Enigma:

There is no contradiction between the teachings of Jesus, James and Paul. Yes, the perception of contradiction has existed for a long time but really careful readership reading and scholarship have long reconciled the perceived contradiction.

According to Jesus, faith will produce works

John 15:5

According to James, faith will produce works

James 2:18

According to Paul, faith will produce works

Titus 2
- also earlier in same Titus 2

Splendid.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:19pm On Dec 03, 2011
@Daiquiri,

I can perceive the smell of Esau and hear the voice of Jacob.  wink
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by Enigma(m): 7:35pm On Dec 03, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

Abraham's work here was a manifestation of his justification by faith . . . .

And the apostle James agrees and pointed this out (even while emphasising "actions/works" in relation to faith).

James 2:23

And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend.

Additionally, when people accuse the apostle James of preaching 'salvation by works'. they forget that he was the one who said {in fact I'm sure many assume this was a statement of Paul smiley}:

James 2:10

For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

cool
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by italo: 7:52pm On Dec 03, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

If you can be justified by works why then do you need faith?

i will answer you when you show me where i said 'i can be justified by works'.

OLAADEGBU:

If you must understand the point Jesus was making here.  Jesus made it clear to the rich young ruler that no man is good enough to get to heaven.  The rich young ruler kept all the commandments bar one and that is not good enough because God's standard is 100%.  The one thing that kept him from this standard was love for money, which breaks the first commandment.  It is only when we put our trust in Jesus Christ just as a man will trust in the ability of a parachute to keep him from crash landing, that we would be saved when we pass through the gates of death.

Even when you trust in the ability of a parachute, you still have to do something. You must use it. The parachute will not use itself. If you don't set it off during your descent, your trust in its ability will not save you. You will crashland!

OLAADEGBU:

Was Abraham, the father of faith justified by faith or by works?
Both! his faith led him to walk in the commands of the Lord and do good works,

Joagbaje:

So is it possible to be saved with faith and no works? Can "DEAD faith" save you?

Enigma:

James did not preach salvation by works.

what did James preach?
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by italo: 8:25pm On Dec 03, 2011
"You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone."--James 2:24.

This is the only place in the whole of scripture that you find "FAITH ALONE", and see what it says.

Later you people will say you are following scripture, when all you do is twist it.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:32pm On Dec 03, 2011
Joagbaje:

We have to understand the distinction James was making when he said faith is dead without works.

"Even so faith, if it has not works, is dead, being alone" (James 2:17 The Evidence Bible).

Let's consider two types of faith. It was reported that a Christian farmer in western Kansas felt sure that God spoke to him to give his $40,000 hail insurance to missions. So, in faith he gave the money, trusting that God would protect his crop. Sure enough, the hail came and severely damaged all his neighbours crops, but not his.

The other case was a well known story about a brilliant tightrope artist named Blondin, who pushed a wheelbarrow across Niagara Falls. After he had walked to the other side, the crowd roared with applause at his amazing feat.

He asked a small boy in the crowd if he believed that Blondin could walk back. The boy said, Yes, sir! He then asked if the boy thought he could do it with him in the wheelbarrow. The boy said he believed he could do it, to which the famous tightrope walker said,

"Good! Jump in then and I will take you!" The boy would not get in.

Now compare the faith of the farmer who was sure he heard from God that he was prepared to step out and the faith of the boy who wasn't prepared to step out, and get in. You see that many sincere folks have a measure of faith in Jesus, but they have never trusted in Him. In that sense, their faith, because it doesn't have works with it, is dead.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why I Am Not An Atheist / How I Used The Bible To Recover My Stolen Money. / Where Was God???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.