Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,144 members, 7,842,288 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 04:39 AM

Justified—by Faith Or Works? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Justified—by Faith Or Works? (4236 Views)

My Pastor Justified Taking Another Wife With Scripture, Is He Right? / Are We Saved By Faith Or By Water Baptism? / How Is One Justified? By Works (laws) Alone Or By Faith Alone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by tpia5: 5:43pm On Dec 17, 2011
italo is still going on and on about fornication?

must s/he shout fornication on every thread?
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:29am On Dec 18, 2011
Simply A New Creature

Like Paul the Apostle rightly notes, in his epistle to the Ephesians, it is only by grace that you can be save and finally make it to heaven. But while you are alive here on earth, grace takes hell right out of you and makes you sit together with Christ Jesus in the heavenly places. In fact, grace changes your position from that of a dead man to a living soul.

"He hath quickened us together with Christ, and hath raised us up together." "We cannot live where we used to live," Charles Spurgeon notes. "We cannot wear what we used to wear. If you had been raised from the dead, and had come out of your tomb, you would not go about with your shroud on." How is it that some who claim to be God’s children are still fond of wearing their grave clothes?

Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by 5solas(m): 6:02pm On Dec 18, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

Simply A New Creature

Like Paul the Apostle rightly notes, in his epistle to the Ephesians, it is only by grace that you can be save and finally make it to heaven. But while you are alive here on earth, grace takes hell right out of you and makes you sit together with Christ Jesus in the heavenly places. In fact, grace changes your position from that of a dead man to a living soul.

"He hath quickened us together with Christ, and hath raised us up together." "We cannot live where we used to live," Charles Spurgeon notes. "We cannot wear what we used to wear. If you had been raised from the dead, and had come out of your tomb, you would not go about with your shroud on."

Great post.

OLAADEGBU:

How is it that some who claim to be God’s children are still fond of wearing their grave clothes?
Lol. I hope this is not in reference to my last post. I believe believers still sin, but it is not typical for them so to do; their lives are not characterized by sin/sinning.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by 5solas(m): 6:09pm On Dec 18, 2011
tpia@:

italo is still going on and on about fornication?

must s/he shout fornication on every thread?

Lol. In particular, he wants to know if we become perfect on being born again.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:50pm On Dec 18, 2011
5solas:

Great post.
Lol. I hope this is not in reference to my last post. I believe believers still sin, but it is not typical for them so to do; their lives are not characterized by sin/sinning.

You are well on track.  Believers' in Christ should not habitually or deliberately commit sin and this can be confirmed in the verse below.

"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God" -- 1 John 3:9
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by 5solas(m): 8:31pm On Dec 18, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

You are well on track. Believers' in Christ should not habitually or deliberately commit sin and this can be confirmed in the verse below.

"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God" -- 1 John 3:9

I totally agree with you.

However, how would you respond to the bolded below:

italo:

Why are you so in a rush to shout me down?

Did you see the 'eg' before the fornication?

If you don't know which post I'm making reference to why not ask patiently, or be quiet about it?

Who - on this thread - has said that salvation is deserved? Again, if after reading the title, you still don't know the bone of contention on this thread, why not go on another thread?

Anyway I was referring to the post above the one you think, where he said "salvation produces good works" and "saving faith will be demonstrated in good works".

So I wonder, since salvation alone produces good works, it cannot produce bad works. Does this mean that if I see a man doing a bad thing, he hasn't been saved?

In other words, can a born-again christian sin? YES or NO!

Or, to personalize it, since you became born-again, have you sinned? YES or NO

Italo is a gainsayer whose mouth must be stopped and it will help if we give answers to his queries. Surely, this is a simple question, or is it not?
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:00pm On Dec 18, 2011
italo:

Why are you so in a rush to shout me down?

Did you see the 'eg' before the fornication?

If you don't know which post I'm making reference to why not ask patiently, or be quiet about it?

Who - on this thread - has said that salvation is deserved? Again, if after reading the title, you still don't know the bone of contention on this thread, why not go on another thread?

Anyway I was referring to the post above the one you think, where he said "salvation produces good works" and "saving faith will be demonstrated in good works".

So I wonder, since salvation alone produces good works, it cannot produce bad works. Does this mean that if I see a man doing a bad thing, he hasn't been saved?

In other words, can a born-again christian sin? YES or NO!

Or, to personalize it, since you became born-again, have you sinned? YES or NO!

I have broken all of the Ten Commandments in spirit, if not in letter and that is why we all have a sin nature and need God's forgiveness.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:13pm On Dec 18, 2011
5solas:

I totally agree with you.

However, how would you respond to the bolded below:

Italo is a gainsayer whose mouth must be stopped and it will help if we give answers to his queries. Surely, this is a simple question, or is it not?

It is a simple question which can be answered with 1 John 3:9 that I quoted earlier.  A Christian does not deliberately commit sin, if a Christian sins, it is against his will.  One who is born again does not habitually commit sin.  He falls rather than dives into sin, he resists rather than embraces sin.  Any dead fish can float downstream.  It takes a live fish to swim against the flow.  Born again Christians still experience temptations and can sometimes fall into sin, but they are no longer slaves to sin (Roman 6:6).  We have God's Holy Spirit within us to help us to say no to temptation, and to convict our conscience of wrong doing when we do sin.  This you cannot say of a dead fish.

"Forasmuch then as Christ has suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin" (1 Peter 4:1 The Evidence Bible).
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:25pm On Dec 18, 2011
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by italo: 3:27pm On Dec 19, 2011
@5solas,

Do you agree with olaadegbu's statement in post #71 that "a Christian does not deliberately commit sin, if a Christian sins, it is against his will"?
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by Zikkyy(m): 4:23pm On Dec 19, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

A Christian does not deliberately commit sin, if a Christian sins, it is against his will.   

How is this possible?

OLAADEGBU:

One who is born again does not habitually commit sin.  He falls rather than dives into sin, he resists rather than embraces sin. 

grin what's the difference? stop deceiving yourself. one can fall, dive, run, jump or crash into sin. The approach to sin does not really matter
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by 5solas(m): 9:13pm On Dec 19, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

It is a simple question which can be answered with 1 John 3:9 that I quoted earlier. A Christian does not deliberately commit sin, if a Christian sins, it is against his will. One who is born again does not habitually commit sin. He falls rather than dives into sin, he resists rather than embraces sin. Any dead fish can float downstream. It takes a live fish to swim against the flow. Born again Christians still experience temptations and can sometimes fall into sin, but they are no longer slaves to sin (Roman 6:6). We have God's Holy Spirit within us to help us to say no to temptation, and to convict our conscience of wrong doing when we do sin. This you cannot say of a dead fish.

"Forasmuch then as Christ has suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin" (1 Peter 4:1 The Evidence Bible).

I completely agree with the bolded.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by 5solas(m): 9:36pm On Dec 19, 2011
italo:

@5solas,

Do you agree with olaadegbu's statement in post #71 that "a Christian does not deliberately commit sin, if a Christian sins, it is against his will"?

Sometimes, words fail us. I agree completely that a christian does not deliberately sin , in this wise- it is not in his nature so to do. However, it should not be stretched to imply that a believer CANNOT deliberately sin . I believe most sins are willful. The thrust of his post is that the believer does not delight in sin/sinning.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by italo: 10:40pm On Dec 19, 2011
5solas:

Sometimes, words fail us. I agree completely that a christian does not deliberately sin , in this wise- it is not in his nature so to do. However, it should not be stretched to imply that a believer CANNOT deliberately sin . I believe most sins are willful. The thrust of his post is that the believer does not delight in sin/sinning.

Ok, I actually only asked if you agree with the statement. From your post, you obviously don't agree, at least, not completely.

But you did a little more. Your post seems to suggest that olaadegbu might not have meant it the way it looks. That the words he used probably don't convey what he must have had in mind. That - I think - is unnecessary. Olaadegbu is the only one that can tell us if 'words failed him'. Let him say.

Now coming back to you. Since you admit that a born-again Christian can commit sin willfully, what then happens to a born-again Christian who commits a serious sin e.g adultery or murder, and then he doesn't repent before he dies. Let us imagine that he didn't repent, not because he didn't want to, but because he procastinated until it was too late.

Does such a man go to heaven because he was born-again or does he go to hell because of the gravity of his sins?
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by 5solas(m): 11:49pm On Dec 19, 2011
italo:

Ok, I actually only asked if you agree with the statement. From your post, you obviously don't agree, at least, not completely.

But you did a little more. Your post seems to suggest that olaadegbu might not have meant it the way it looks. That the words he used probably don't convey what he must have had in mind. That - I think - is unnecessary. Olaadegbu is the only one that can tell us if 'words failed him'. Let him say.

Now coming back to you. Since you admit that a born-again Christian can commit sin willfully, what then happens to a born-again Christian who commits a serious sin e.g adultery or murder, and then he doesn't repent before he dies. Let us imagine that he didn't repent, not because he didn't want to, but because he procastinated until it was too late.

Does such a man go to heaven because he was born-again or does he go to hell because of the gravity of his sins?

Sometimes, I said, words fail us. Let it be clear what I said: that it is possible for believers to sin (not that they can sin/should sin) and that often, sins, (I generalize) are willful.
Lol, at the bolded. Come on now, Italo, if you don’t know the alphabets, you cannot read; neither can you solve quadratic equations, if you can’t solve linear ones. Let’s take a very simple case first; assuming Ananias and Sapphira were believers (saved), which I think they  were, and they were good Christians till the lies that led to their deaths, do you think they would go to heaven or hell?
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:16am On Dec 20, 2011
The Danger of Wilful Sin

"Because he hath despised the word of the Lord, and hath broken his commandment, that soul shall utterly be cut off; his iniquity shall be upon him" (Numbers 15:31).

Under the Mosaic law, there was ample provision for forgiveness of sins committed unintentionally.  "If any soul sin through ignorance, then he shall bring a she goat of the first year for a sin offering.  And the priest shall make an atonement for the soul that sinneth ignorantly, . . . and it shall be forgiven him" (Numbers 15:27-28).  However, as in our text, it was altogether different for one who deliberately disobeyed God's law.  One who would so despise God's commandment was to be put to death.

In this Christian dispensation, many would say that this harshness of God's law has been replaced by His love.  There is abundant pardon for all, since Jesus died for all our sins.  Now, all we need is to confess our sins, and He will forgive us (1 John 1:9). But, "if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, . . . He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God?" (Hebrews 10:26, 28-29).

Even assuming this warning applies specifically only to those who have wilfully renounced faith in Christ, the question still remains whether one with true saving faith will wilfully sin against the known will of God, as revealed in His Word.  "He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him" (1 John 2:4).  Only God knows the heart, but those "Christians" who deliberately reject and disobey His Word should at least "examine |them|selves, whether |they| be in the faith" (2 Corinthians 13:5). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by italo: 10:29am On Dec 20, 2011
@5solas,

Do you mind answering my question first; then I'll answer yours. Thanks.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by italo: 12:19pm On Dec 20, 2011
@olaadegbu,

I'm having a hard time trying to understand the meaning of your last post. Are you maintaining your stance that 'a Christian CANNOT deliberately sin or you're somewhat changing it. If you're changing it, what is your new stance? Feel free.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by 5solas(m): 8:43pm On Dec 20, 2011
italo:

@5solas,

Do you mind answering my question first; then I'll answer yours. Thanks.

If you cannot consider a simple case or an average case (but would rather stick to your extreme case), I am going to allow a stalemate (for now), but note you are on check grin .
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:30am On Dec 21, 2011
italo:

@olaadegbu,

I'm having a hard time trying to understand the meaning of your last post. Are you maintaining your stance that 'a Christian CANNOT deliberately sin or you're somewhat changing it. If you're changing it, what is your new stance? Feel free.

I can understand the difficulty you are having because these are spiritual things. Read the excerpt below and see whether it answers your question.

"He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him" (1 John 2:4).

Only God knows the heart, but those "Christians" who deliberately reject and disobey His Word should at least "examine |them|selves, whether |they| be in the faith" (2 Corinthians 13:5).
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:47am On Dec 21, 2011
Zikkyy:

How is this possible?

Do you deliberately lie, steal, commit adultery/fornication, fight etc. (in the act) and then say that you will repent later? undecided

Zikkyy:

grin what's the difference? stop deceiving yourself. one can fall, dive, run, jump or crash into sin. The approach to sin does not really matter

An eagle that is airborne is different from a fish that is aquatic, the fact that the eagle occasionally falls into water doesnt make it a fish, does it?  Do you swim in sin like a fish will swim in water?  Is sin natural to you as water is natural to a fish?
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:51am On Dec 21, 2011
How to Keep from Falling

"For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living" (Psalm 56:13)

Once a person receives Christ as Saviour, he must begin, then continue, in the Christian life. There will be many temptations along the way, however, as well as many pressures to recant, many sorrows, many difficulties. How is the "babe" in Christ to keep from stumbling and falling?

The answer, of course, is that we are kept by the same grace that saved us in the first place! The Lord Jesus died to save us from eternal death in hell; surely we can "be saved by his life" from falling while living (Romans 5:10). Our beautiful text verse anticipates this great New Testament truth. If the Lord can deliver my soul from death, surely He can keep my feet from falling! Other wonderful verses in the psalms give the same assurance. For example: "The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand" (Psalm 37:23-24).

It is important, of course, that each person professing faith in Christ be sure that his faith is real, founded on the true Jesus Christ as Creator, Redeemer, and Lord, not a sentimental faith in "another Jesus, . . . or another gospel" (2 Corinthians 11:4). As Peter urges: "Give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall" (2 Peter 1:10).

And then, in the last words of the New Testament before the book of Revelation, we are directed again to Christ. "Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, to the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen" (Jude 24-25). What a blessed assurance is this! HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by italo: 7:12am On Dec 21, 2011
5solas:

If you cannot consider a simple case or an average case (but would rather stick to your extreme case), I am going to allow a stalemate (for now), but note you are on check  grin .

I didn't say I cannot consider your case, I'm all to eager to do that. Its infact you preventing me from answering because you are ignoring MY question. Why? I don't know.

And your case is not simple or 'average'; I'll show you how its even more complex than mine as soon as you answer.

"Stalemate" "check" Is that how you handle this? A game to be won? I'm more interested in winning a soul or two (either mine or yours or both) by discovering a truth I never knew or confirming the truth I always knew. . .Even though I think its you on check, and in dire need of - and eager for - a stalemate.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by Zikkyy(m): 8:34am On Dec 21, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

Do you deliberately lie, steal, commit adultery/fornication, fight etc. (in the act) and then say that you will repent later?

If you want to plead 'not guilty', you have to come with defenses similar to what i have listed below:

1. False accusation - Somebody did it on your behalf.
2. Prove insanity
3. It happened in your dream

Otherwise you have to plead guilty angry Oga OLAADEGBU, there is always an option; it's either yes or no. You can't commit adultery then go to God and claim you were forced to do it. Who forced you? Even Jesus was tempted.

OLAADEGBU:

An eagle that is airborne is different from a fish that is aquatic, the fact that the eagle occasionally falls into water doesnt make it a fish, does it?  Do you swim in sin like a fish will swim in water?  Is sin natural to you as water is natural to a fish?

It is not bout the eagle or fish; it's about the water. Do you or do you not swim? Did the instruction state that permanent swimmers are not allowed, but occasional swimmers are welcome?
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:18pm On Dec 21, 2011
Zikkyy:

If you want to plead 'not guilty', you have to come with defenses similar to what i have listed below:

1. False accusation - Somebody did it on your behalf.
2. Prove insanity
3. It happened in your dream

Otherwise you have to plead guilty angry Oga OLAADEGBU, there is always an option; it's either yes or no. You can't commit adultery then go to God and claim you were forced to do it. Who forced you? Even Jesus was tempted.

If you insist on playing the "gility or not gility" game I suggest you visit the link below.  I certainly didn't pass that test. Click on the link and see what I did to qualify for heaven.

http://www.areyouagoodperson.org/

Zikkyy:

It is not bout the eagle or fish; it's about the water. Do you or do you not swim? Did the instruction state that permanent swimmers are not allowed, but occasional swimmers are welcome?

It's about the water, is the water then your natural habitat like it is to a fish?  Are you a permanent swimmer that only comes up briefly for fresh air?  Are you a saint or a sinner?  Righteous or unrighteous?  Upright or crooked? undecided

"If you squeeze a lemon, you should get lemon juice.  If you squeeze an orange, you should get orange juice.  If you squeeze a Christian, you should get Christ."
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by italo: 5:19pm On Dec 21, 2011
@olaadegbu,

Are you still saying that it is impossible for a Christian to knowingly commit a sin? YES or NO!
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by Zikkyy(m): 6:04pm On Dec 21, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

If you insist on playing the "gility or not gility" game I suggest you visit the link below.  I certainly didn't pass that test. Click on the link and see what I did to qualify for heaven.

http://www.areyouagoodperson.org/

I think you are confused grin tell me how the above address the issue of Christians being 'forced' to sin.

OLAADEGBU:

It's about the water, is the water then your natural habitat like it is to a fish?  Are you a permanent swimmer that only comes up briefly for fresh air?  Are you a saint or a sinner?  Righteous or unrighteous?  Upright or crooked? undecided

LOL grin Please tell me, what other difference (aside frequency grin) exist between the man that commits adultery once a year and the man that commits same act once weekly? grin

OLAADEGBU:

"If you squeeze a lemon, you should get lemon juice.  If you squeeze an orange, you should get orange juice.  If you squeeze a Christian, you should get Christ." 

I agree with you on this one. I guess the problem has to do with a lot of lemons masquerading as Christians grin There is that possibility you could be a lemon grin Have you been squeezed lately
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:10pm On Dec 21, 2011
Zikkyy:

I think you are confused grin tell me how the above address the issue of Christians being 'forced' to sin.

You have to first address the issue of whether you are a new creature or not.  If you are a new creature why will you want to move around in your grave cloths?

Zikkyy:

LOL grin Please tell me, what other difference (aside frequency grin) exist between the man that commits adultery once a year and the man that commits same act once weekly? grin

If you commit the act of adultery at all you should examine yourself whether you were in the faith in the first place.

Zikkyy:

I agree with you on this one. I guess the problem has to do with a lot of lemons masquerading as Christians grin There is that possibility you could be a lemon grin Have you been squeezed lately

The truth is like lemon, it is bitter or sour, it hurts but then heals.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by italo: 1:14am On Dec 22, 2011
Olaadegbu is so not making sense!
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by Zikkyy(m): 8:44am On Dec 22, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

You have to first address the issue of whether you are a new creature or not.  If you are a new creature why will you want to move around in your grave cloths?

Nna, why do you keep shifting the goalpost? Now you've taken the goalpost off the pitch and kept in your bedroom angry Oga, i was responding to a post where you said Christian sins are not willful. Now you are telling me i have to "first address the issue of whether the Christian is a new creature or not"

OLAADEGBU:

If you commit the act of adultery at all you should examine yourself whether you were in the faith in the first place.

You told us a Christian "falls rather than dive into sin". Now you are telling me to first examine whether the Christian that "falls into sin" was a Christian in the first place. Oga OLAADEGBU, na wa for you angry
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by 5solas(m): 10:13am On Dec 22, 2011
Zikkyy:

Nna, why do you keep shifting the goalpost? Now you've taken the goalpost off the pitch and kept in your bedroom angry Oga, i was responding to a post where you said Christian sins are not willful. Now you are telling me i have to "first address the issue of whether the Christian is a new creature or not"

You told us a Christian "falls rather than dive into sin". Now you are telling me to first examine whether the Christian that "falls into sin" was a Christian in the first place. Oga OLAADEGBU, na wa for you angry

Keep in mind as you go along, that the word,'christian' is perhaps, the most abused of all words.
Re: Justified—by Faith Or Works? by Atabase92(m): 10:19am On Dec 22, 2011
Both, FAITH & WORKS. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Let Us Work On A Strategy Fellow Pagans! Let Us Destroy XTIANISM & Save 9JAAAAA / Jihad - Is It Only For Defence? / Are Trinitarians Ignorant Of What Moses Said?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.