Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? (8333 Views)

My Neighbour's Wife Peeps Through My Door, Should I Report To The Husband? / My Neighbour And His Fiancee / Help!!! My Neighbour Is A Screamer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by LadyWinona: 5:10pm On Dec 01, 2011
In our compound, we share the same NEPA bills with our neighbour. This has been ongoing for years despite pleas been made to the NEPA office with additional fees paid for meters and stuff to rectify this. Currently, our light has been cut off and all because our neighbour claims he is unable to afford to pay his own share of the NEPA bills for 2 good months. This has been ongoing for two weeks now. The man who claims he is unable to pay however has no problems putting on his generators every other night and sometimes in the afternoons as well. Why in the world he doesn't think it cost effective to just pay the damn bills and save on fuel just confounds me. I type this so frustrated since there is light all around us but in our two flats. My husband does not want any trouble and is choosing to keep quiet. I also want to take the same stance since my not too subtle method of addressing my neighbour's excesses in the past no matter how polite and courteous has always managed to get me into trouble. So, pls, is there anyway i can get this fixed without causing chaos between the two families. Thank you.
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by kadirecipe(f): 5:37pm On Dec 01, 2011
This is a hard situation indeed but i would advise you not to create any trouble since your husband doesn't like it. Just Ask your husband to seat the guy and talk to him, like men. Make him understand that what is doing is not fair at all.
Or you can talk to the wife, she is a woman and i am sure if you use the right worlds, she will understand. Explain to them how to situation is affecting you and your family and why they should stop doing this.
Wish you luck.
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by Honeycity(f): 5:48pm On Dec 01, 2011
dont you guys have a landlord or a caretaker?
get your neighbors light disconnected offset the whole bill, dont connect him back till he has paid up his own part shikenah!
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by LadyWinona: 5:50pm On Dec 01, 2011
Thanks. I really wish it were that easy. The best person to have resolved this should have been our Landlord since he is elderly and quite composed but our neighbour has gotten into a lot of squabbles with him over non-payment of rent on time and other bills that I'm so sure he wouldn't want a part in this. He has gathered quite a reputatation for himself which is why i'm confused my husband is just letting him be. I can't talk to his wife, my landlord's wife has already tried that in the past and was insulted by the man later on even taking it a step further by warning the landlord to control his wife. I just need a solution that does not play by the books. Something desperate-housewivesish that will get the job done without hurting anyone.
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by LadyWinona: 5:57pm On Dec 01, 2011
Honeycity:

dont you guys have a landlord or a caretaker?
get your neighbors light disconnected offset the whole bill, dont connect him back till he has paid up his own part shikenah!
You don't understand. We are both connected to the same line, hence the sharing of any Nepa bills accrued. Anything that affects the line, affects us both. We are currently been cut off cos my husband gave him his own half of the bill for the past 2 months but he is yet to pay his own half. I don't want to go into what he has done to my husband's own half of the money since nothing has been paid so far as is shown in the last NEPA bill brought to us. The whole thing is just frustrating
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by ronkebp(f): 7:23pm On Dec 01, 2011
Sometimes the peace thing does not solve any problem, and there is nothing you can do without your hubby know ing what fully went down, just buy your own generator or get another place to live in, but before you leave, make sure you pour sand into that your neighbours generator, wink wink wink wink wink so that he will know how it feels.
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by LadyWinona: 9:07pm On Dec 01, 2011
ronkebp:

Sometimes the peace thing does not solve any problem, and there is nothing you can do without your hubby know ing what fully went down, just buy your own generator or get another place to live in, but before you leave, make sure you pour sand into that your neighbours generator, wink wink wink wink wink so that he will know how it feels.
lol
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by armyofone(m): 9:19pm On Dec 01, 2011
i would suggest you and your family move to another place. i don't like troublesome neigbor.

just cause trouble and dial 911 grin grin
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by Smilenw(f): 10:34pm On Dec 01, 2011
Ok, assuming your neighbour has just 1 gen, go ahead and spoil the gen smiley
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Dec 01, 2011
OP,just get an electrician to  hook up your flat to the gen and your problem is solved. Shebi, he does not want to pay Nepa abi? Ehn let him pay for fuel for both flats na!
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by LadyWinona: 11:33pm On Dec 01, 2011
armyofone:

i would suggest you and your family move to another place. i don't like troublesome neigbor.

just cause trouble and dial 911 grin grin
praying and hoping that we get to move soon. I've heard about difficult neighbours but this takes the cake for me.   As for going medieval on his gen, well, i have to think about it. I can tell you straight away though that i can't do it, it will just negate all they've done and give them something to talk about.
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by chioma134: 11:56pm On Dec 01, 2011
We have a similar problem in my compd. Some refuse to pay 1k monthly,but burn fuel worth dt amt in just 2 days. They'll always claim they don't have money,but this attitude is mostly a rxn to what everone considers as cheating. A couple took their laundry business out of their shop to the compd,and ironing alone uses up to half of the total credits.
@poster,is there anything u're using dt they're not,cos this may be d cause of d problem?
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by Nobody: 4:33am On Dec 02, 2011
@poster
as someone previously said, get someone from NEPA to disconnect his side of the house(cut him off), pay the full bill and be at peace forever. the day he is ready to pay his debt, you can have him pay someone to be reconnected.

ps: warn your neighbor before you do such extreme measure, so that he can reconsider, and advise him that to get reconnected would cost much more than the bill he supposedly cant pay.

how can you guys accept this and live without light, while this person has a gen?!
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by LadyWinona: 5:34am On Dec 02, 2011
Thanks guys. I'll ask my husband to consider calling nepa to cut him off and reconnect.  i mean if it were that easy, he wld have done it in d past or even now but will ask again. I just hope he agrees to this cos he might consider his friendship wit this guy causing him grief, too important to trifle with. I really don't get guys, really, u all have my respect. To be able to communicate wit someone who's more or less screwing with you is something I don't think i can pull thru. It's just too much for me to handle but u guys make it look easy, or is it? Typing this just made me realise my husband's cool demeanour can't just be normal. Maybe there's something else going on here and I'm worrying over nothing. Oh well, i just hope that's true. If there's one thing i know act my husband, every action has already been tot of as a pre requisite to the next. I guess, i should be patient and let him handle this. Thanks guys, wouldn't have realised this without this forum and talk. Ve a nice day.
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by Nobody: 7:02am On Dec 02, 2011
Lady Winona:

Thanks guys. I'll ask my husband to consider calling nepa to cut him off and reconnect.  i mean if it were that easy, he wld have done it in d past or even now but will ask again. I just hope he agrees to this cos he might consider his friendship wit this guy causing him grief, too important to trifle with. I really don't get guys, really, u all have my respect. To be able to communicate wit someone who's more or less screwing with you is something I don't think i can pull thru. It's just too much for me to handle but u guys make it look easy, or is it? Typing this just made me realise my husband's cool demeanour can't just be normal. Maybe there's something else going on here and I'm worrying over nothing. Oh well, i just hope that's true. If there's one thing i know act my husband, every action has already been tot of as a pre requisite to the next. I guess, i should be patient and let him handle this. Thanks guys, wouldn't have realised this without this forum and talk. Ve a nice day.

if there was ever ANY "friendship between your hubby and this neighbor then it should have had this crazy neighbor settle the damn bill. this man is SURELY not acting like a friend of your family. . . . . . . . and the fact that your husband even acts "friendly & nice" while doing nothing is probably why he doesnt pay up. it is also a sign of your hubby being either scared or afraid of what this guy may do. sometimes, the only way to solve "crazy" is with CRAZY!

pls ask your husband if this friendship is more important than your well being?
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by maclatunji: 9:45am On Dec 02, 2011
Lady, save your anger for the PHCN staff; go and cause an earthquake at their office and threaten to go directly to their bosses if they don't give you a meter and restore electricity to your home immediately. Show PHCN the stuff you are made-of.

Do not leave until they get you a meter and someone to restore your power. Tell them you are taking their case to the National Electricity Regulation Commission (NERC).

Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by simpleseyi: 6:59am On Dec 05, 2011
With about 45,000 naira, you can get a pre-paid metre in ONE MONTH. I have a friend who works with PHCN. To avoid fraud, I can give the guy the money to process this for you if you will give me a post-date cheque for the amount. Remember however, that bounced cheque can get you to EFCC and prison even when Ibori, Tinubu, Alao Akala, Gbenga Daniel, Bank-ole, Obasanjo, IBB are still free men.
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by Nobody: 9:15am On Dec 05, 2011
//
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by Godalone(m): 9:30am On Dec 05, 2011
I had similar problem with my neighbour a couple of years ago. I just went straight to PHCN office, paid for new pre-paid meter and service wires. I was connected that same day on a temporary line without the pre-paid meter. My neigbour later paid the bill after a month after.
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by ifyalways(f): 9:41am On Dec 05, 2011
Naija na proper jungle.No matter how refined and gentlemanly you think you are,it takes just a visit and perharps 72 hours of interacting with people and you'd be amazed at how fast you'd be transformed!

How can one retain sanity in this case?Everybody eye dey red,transferring aggression and ready to pounce and eat you up.

@OP,Just go make noise for Nepa people and get a new meter for your house.Ignore the troublesome neighbor,he would meet his kind someday.
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by DisGuy: 12:03am On Dec 06, 2011
Gentlemanism no dey work for naija

Approach a sane looking PHCN manager for advice, beg in him the name of GoD and call him sir several times
if it doesn't work take the option above re: prepaid meter

or pay a pchn/lagos environmental agency to seize his generator for environmental pollution; intentional hardship and goatmanish

I think PHCN should start publish names of debtors on the street grin
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by HISchild: 1:32am On Dec 06, 2011
@op,

In a gentle, respectful, yet in a firm way, go to your neighbor with your husband and explain the economics of paying for electricity, as opposed to fueling and running his generator alone. You should at least begin there, - "And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;" - 2 Tim 2:24-25

"Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men." - Rom 12:17-18. You will not be in this situation forever, so do the right thing, particularly what is right in GOD's sight, by HIS grace, to HIS glory.

Remember - "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger." - Prov 15:1, "For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God." - James 1:20

------
"But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth." - Col 3:8

"Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil. For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth." - Psa 37:8-9

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by Nobody: 2:36am On Dec 06, 2011
This is a none issue, happens all †ђξ time. Ask your husband to bring in an electrician to separate †ђξ lines and purchase meters for †ђξ 2 so that there is no excuse to start a quarrel. Ɣøû will be surprised that once this is done, your neighbour will always be up to date with his bill.
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by DisGuy: 1:36pm On Dec 06, 2011
HISchild:

@op,

In a gentle, respectful, yet in a firm way, go to your neighbor with your husband and explain the economics of paying for electricity, as opposed to fueling and running his generator alone. You should at least begin there, - "And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;" - 2 Tim 2:24-25

"Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men." - Rom 12:17-18. You will not be in this situation forever, so do the right thing, particularly what is right in GOD's sight, by HIS grace, to HIS glory.

Remember - "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger." - Prov 15:1, "For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God." - James 1:20

------
"But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth." - Col 3:8

"Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil. For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth." - Psa 37:8-9

Na Wa o, the neighbour is probably the first in church every sunday
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 06, 2011
I had d same issue with my landlord some years back. The land lord is an old man so his children r not dat responsible to pay d bills
since we were using d same line but separate meters, i just called PHCN officials to reconnect my line. All i paid then was like13k to run separate wire from the pole.
They threatened to send me out cos i relocated the meter but dey culdnt do anythg!!
Whn PHCH comes now, they just disconnect dir wire from the pole and leave my own wire.
its very simple, just appeal to ur husband and u guys can just run a separate wire from from the pole so anytime PHCN officials come, dey disconnect his line from the pole even if u r using the same meter.
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by DisGuy: 3:19pm On Dec 06, 2011
nikkykay:

I had d same issue with my landlord some years back. The land lord is an old man so his children r not dat responsible to pay d bills
since we were using d same line but separate meters, i just called PHCN officials to reconnect my line. All i paid then was like13k to run separate wire from the pole.
They threatened to send me out cos i relocated the meter but dey culdnt do anythg!!
Whn PHCH comes now, they just disconnect dir wire from the pole and leave my own wire.
its very simple, just appeal to your husband and u guys can just run a separate wire from from the pole so anytime PHCN officials come, dey disconnect his line from the pole even if u r using the same meter.

she can do that herself, get in touch with the pchn officials with some money
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by monkeyleg: 4:08pm On Dec 06, 2011
@ Poster, where is the meter located? and why are Nepa stalling installing a seperate meter for you guys?

This s=is really bad though, why are liek this to each other. Sometime we Nigerians can be very inconsiderate. This is very wicked, so in the process of the chap not paying his bill, he takes you down with him. I really dont think this is an issues for you are your husband to shy away from. You husband must confront it head on, if the co-tenant does not care about your welfare, then really you shouldnt have a problem doing what is right. Please tell you husband to grow balls and confront the issue
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Dec 06, 2011
Dis Guy:

she can do that herself, get in touch with the pchn officials with some money
She just needs to inform her husband abt her move first! am sure he wil support and if he refuses to support , she can go ahead then if she is financially okay! am sure her husband wl appreciate dat later
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by Odunnu: 7:14pm On Dec 06, 2011
Leave your neigbour alone, he is too troublesome for me. Go to PHCN office and disturb them if you go there a week, i'm sure you'll make a headway. Since your neigbour ate your own part of the money, dont bother asking him for it again, let it be, pursue the new meter idea instead.
ronkebp:

Troublesome neigbour!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by ngusvi: 7:57pm On Dec 06, 2011
The Nigerian US Virgin Islands Reunion Festival Invites all Nigerians and friends of Nigeria to our Annual Nigerian Reunion Festival 2012 .

This festival will take place on May 25th- 28th on the Beautiful US Islands of ST Thomas.
More details here @ www.nigerianusvifestival.com

See yall soon.
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by Yinkay: 8:06pm On Dec 06, 2011
Put Salt in the fuel tank of the gen. Besides, there is no argument a punch in the nose cannot settle.
Re: How Do I Handle My Neighbour's Excesses? by Wilfredng: 8:09pm On Dec 06, 2011
Yinkay:

Put Salt in the fuel tank of the gen. Besides, there is no argument a punch in the nose cannot settle.

[size=20pt]Q.E.D[/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" / Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? / My Husband Insists I Remove My Maiden Name From My Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.