Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

'Dictatorial Democracy' in Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'Dictatorial Democracy' in Nigeria (3032 Views)

No Nigerian Leader, Democratic Or Dictatorial, Has Ever Succeeded - Aljazeera / Punch Editorial. Jonathan’s Unfolding Dictatorial Tendencies. / Nigerians Protest In London Over Jonathan's Dictatorial Tendencies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Dictatorial Democracy' in Nigeria by stevo(m): 2:54pm On Jul 12, 2005
DICTATORIAL DEMOCRACY NIGERIAN PERSPECTIVE

The coming of civilian democratic governance in 1999, replacing the so-called abberation in government. Nigerians till today experience pseudo-democracy, with our politicans dancing Makossa whenever democratic issues are being discussed. They only know how to give shameless excuses on the poor state of Nigeria. Who is fooling who?

In spite of all we are blessed with abundantly. For God's sake, FG, prudent management has always eluded us. Talk of the ordinary human rights it is zero implementation, zero justice. Citizens have no right of franchise, no welfare amenities, no jobs, always fear of retrenchment, mass unemployment with the current threat by the FG to effect mass sack in public service.

What am I saying, my mouth shut-up according to Zebee? The current statement by American scientists that Nigeria will disintegrate because of certain things in place and not in place. I, as a political scientist, see it not as a mere propaganda but absolute study of the past to better predict the future. It's left for our actors not to neglect this phenomenon, but think about it.

In spite of Obasanjo's brainstorming all economic equations which have worked for other countries have failed to work in Nigeria. Our major source of wealth, the deposits of oil and gas, have only added to the problem. To avert this, FG should stop declaring prayer and fasting for the country just to the detriment of the masses, but to effect adequate policy implementation.

"Nigeria is a great country!" Indeed.
Re: 'Dictatorial Democracy' in Nigeria by stevo(m): 2:56pm On Jul 12, 2005
Help support Nigeria.
Re: 'Dictatorial Democracy' in Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 3:03pm On Jul 12, 2005
okay.
Re: 'Dictatorial Democracy' in Nigeria by Danasco(m): 6:33pm On Jul 12, 2005
If for nothing, we must give thanks to God for the peace and harmony existing in Nigeria today. Democracy or any form of govt, the Nigeria attitude and old ways of doing things still persist. with time, we are for sure going to get to the promised land. From debt relief, we may be shifting to attitude change.

The impending problem beclouding the average Nigerian is indiscipline. discipline entails you to fear God, our elders, respect our law and constitution and several other things that make man and existence worthwhile. But we lack total and absolute discipline to grow in all facet of human endeavor.

The present administration, try as it may, is finding it very difficult to change the attitude of an average Nigerian man on the street. Why do you aspire to be the Governor of your state? Is it to help improve the common man's worth or to make money for you and your family yet unborn? This is the common thinking of a Nigerian man.

Ask a Nigerian child what he want to be in future. 7 years ago, he would have told you for sure he want to be a soldier. And today? He wants to be a politician!

We must change our attitude before things around us will start to change.
Re: 'Dictatorial Democracy' in Nigeria by makgod(m): 1:37pm On Jul 13, 2005
lord we thank u for Nigeria,
for every goodman,.lord lead
to every bad man..pls forgive
to the nation as a whole
deliver us.
amen!!
Re: 'Dictatorial Democracy' in Nigeria by kodewrita(m): 3:51pm On Jul 13, 2005
Its true that we operate a dictatorial democracy but it would be naive to expect us to move straight from a militocracy to a civilian environment. the transition will be fraught with danger of course. i believe in spite of all the noise we make, we will never break up. why? because some regions have become so dependent on others that they cannot bear to allow them to leave that easily e.g (the three northern regions) and almost all the major companies are in the Lagos-Ogun-Oyo area and as such the merchant-politicians or political contractors will not allow that to happen.

Sometimes a well-intentioned dictatorship can be better than a graft-ridden democracy. example: saddam rebuilt iraq witihin 1000 days of his defeat in kuwait in 1991
Re: 'Dictatorial Democracy' in Nigeria by Easyy(m): 5:10pm On Jan 09, 2007
kodewrita:

Its true that we operate a dictatorial democracy but it would be naive to expect us to move straight from a militocracy to a civilian environment. the transition will be fraught with danger of course. i believe in spite of all the noise we make, we will never break up. why? because some regions have become so dependent on others that they cannot bear to allow them to leave that easily e.g (the three northern regions) and almost all the major companies are in the Lagos-Ogun-Oyo area and as such the merchant-politicians or political contractors will not allow that to happen.

Sometimes a well-intentioned dictatorship can be better than a graft-ridden democracy. example: saddam rebuilt iraq witihin 1000 days of his defeat in kuwait in 1991

I love your optimism about the Nigerian nation.

However, I must admit I have found myself sometimes questioning the union which doesn't seem to have worked
Re: 'Dictatorial Democracy' in Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 4:50am On Mar 08, 2011
It is 2011, has much changed?
Re: 'Dictatorial Democracy' in Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:06pm On Mar 08, 2011
;d

(1) (Reply)

Susan Rice Possible Killer Of Abiola And Abacha - Chief Femi Fani-kayode / We PDP Governors Shared The $56bn Stolen Oil Money - Gov Akpabio / APC Replies Pastor Oyedepo Over The “gate Of Hell” Statement.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.