Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,724 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television (8045 Views)

Homosexuality Movie “I Am Jazz” Banned On Nigerian TV Stations / Top 15 Sexiest Female Nigerian Television Personalities (Photos) / How To Watch Nigerian Television Stations Overseas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by publisher(m): 9:24am On Dec 06, 2011
Growing up in Lagos-Nigeria as a child around the 1980s and early 1990s was without doubt a very eventful and memorable period. While our parents and other grownups back then spent their time pondering and worrying about the drowning economy, value of the naira, new price of bread and petrol or the next military coup, some of us were busy enjoying our childhood. As children, our routine was streamlined from Mondays to Fridays; go to school early in the morning, close from school in the afternoon, get home around 3pm, put on the television, stumble upon rainbow colour lines with background music and wait for NTA to start its programming by 4pm. Once the national anthem starts playing, we all rush to the telly and for the next two to three hours, we stay glued to our television set. Weekend television programming was also somewhat exciting especially on Sunday evenings when we look forward to watching ‘Tales by moonlight’ and by 8pm, the latest Nigerian soap opera would air. All television and radio stations were owned by^^^ continue reading on http://thestanleynwabia..com/2011/12/entertaining-our-children-on-nigerian.html
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by iice(f): 7:56pm On Jan 14, 2012
Nostalgia.

There was this program in the afternoon, forgotten the name. Children will act out a short script. Then there would be music and dancing.
That and tales by moonlight i enjoyed. But really i grew up on things like Terrahawks, Super Ted, Thundercats and many others. I think parents should provide some supervision and explanation. I still watch alot of toons and kiddie programs grin
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by AdamuW: 8:53am On Jan 20, 2012
@Publisher I read your blog article and I couldn't agree with you more. Everything from the fact that our local children's TV industry has been destroyed by ours own TV networks to the fact young kids are now singing inappropriate adult songs at parties. I know if the local TV stations knew the effect of their policy of only buying mainly third rate foreign children's programs. But the short story is we are where we are today which is a very bad place in opinion. We need to start producing more local children's content. Here's a video rant I did about the matter when I got angry about this issue.
[flash=560,315]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ApuN2MBvf8?version=3&hl=en_GB[/flash]

I think part of the problem is that children's educational programming is not 'sexy' and full of hype! It's boring for many people when they're now adults. For example many Nigerians will rather want to hear about Jay Z, D'banj, Beyonce, 2face etc than know or even care about local kids shows. And I fully understand why. But if you ask them their favourite show when they're kids they can give you answer straight away!

My company's produced a new Nigerian educational cartoon for kids called Bino and Fino. It's aired on TV in South Africa, and is currently showing on Sky TV in the UK. We aim to get it on Nigerian TV screens early this year. But it's been proving tough.  Here's it is the UK trailer.
[flash=560,315]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHIAQ2lXPL4?version=3&hl=en_GB[/flash]

@Jennypinky Keep pushing it. Things are changing slowly but surely.
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by Bawss1(m): 11:20am On Jan 20, 2012
I'd be surprised to find children today watching Nigerian TV when there are a dozen foreign, and I daresay, more entertaining stations out there. I grew up watching NTA and RSTV just like the OP described but when the better packaged foreign stations started becoming available me and my friends all made the switch. Those were the golden days. I think that with the way the Nigerian TV stations are run they will continue to have a hard time competing with the foreign ones.
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by babaowo: 3:26pm On Jan 25, 2012
This is computer's age folks!!!
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by mbulela: 3:28pm On Jan 25, 2012
i was discussing a similarly related issue on a different blog (not nigerian site). the fundamental problem is simple.
there is an inherent laziness pervading the tv industry at present. they will rather invest millions in tasteless and tacky reality programs than invest in educative and entertaining dramas and other types of programs.
the local ones would rather show endless reels of Nigerian music videos than invest or commission proper local programs for kids to watch during daytime.
when they are not showing silly music videos, they are showing those cheesy mexican and indian soaps.
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by AdamuW: 3:41pm On Jan 25, 2012
Bawss1:

I'd be surprised to find children today watching Nigerian TV when there are a dozen foreign, and I daresay, more entertaining stations out there. I grew up watching NTA and RSTV just like the OP described but when the better packaged foreign stations started becoming available me and my friends all made the switch. Those were the golden days. I think that with the way the Nigerian TV stations are run they will continue to have a hard time competing with the foreign ones.

I think you'd be surprised what we could do at home. The problem is the focus isn't there yet. Our Bino and Fino cartoon is doing well in the UK and it was all done in Nigeria. We could do it. It just takes joined up thinking and a will to do it.

babaowo:

This is computer's age folks!!!

I agree. But Television is still very powerful. It's still the core delivery mechanism for family entertainment until parents really feel safe letting children use computers unsupervised.

mbulela:

i was discussing a similarly related issue on a different blog (not nigerian site). the fundamental problem is simple.
there is an inherent laziness pervading the tv industry at present. they will rather invest millions in tasteless and tacky reality programs than invest in educative and entertaining dramas and other types of programs.
the local ones would rather show endless reels of Nigerian music videos than invest or commission proper local programs for kids to watch during daytime.
when they are not showing silly music videos, they are showing those cheesy mexican and indian soaps.

I totally agree with everything you said.
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by dozai: 3:44pm On Jan 25, 2012
Which programmes will children watch in our local stations. They re all filled up with one pastor telling us to come to his church and the other saying his is the best. the rest is news, thats all. Gone are the days of Tales by moonlight, new masquerade, village headmaster, bassey and company, samanja and the rest. We have really lost our direction. My niece watched Cartoon network so much that it took her 5yrs before she could start talking. and that was after i warned the parents that the girl is acting like stuff in the cartoon.
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by Akintola11(m): 3:53pm On Jan 25, 2012
This Week in Nigeria:  Inspector-General of Police RESIGNS!!, Scores of Boko Haram suspects arrested, Fuel Importers summoned by EFCC & much more!!

http://thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/blog/week-nigeria-police-chief-resigns

http://thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/blog/week-nigeria-police-chief-resigns
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by Kpac(m): 5:09pm On Jan 25, 2012
All those programs then are ingredients to an intelligent child
My childhood was such a moment of envy and I wish our goverment balance our society, our present society is full of political views.
My best programmes then was Dr Who, Super Ted, Renta Ghost and Seseme street.
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jan 25, 2012
please can anyone in this forum tell which other Nigeria station I can watch online apart from Channels tv. ( link if available would be helpful ). Thanks.
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 25, 2012
the funny thing is that most of the really good educational tv for kids in the west is govt funded

cbeebies in the uk stuff like (alphablocks, numberjacks)
pbs in the us (sesame street, word world, superwhy)

i think nickelodeon is private

kids programs that don't come with marketable action figures / merchandising dont drive business , so its up to your govt . if your govt is not serious about kids education lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed you're fked.
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by pato405(m): 8:33pm On Jan 25, 2012
they have deliberately decided to ignore the younger ones and I hope this doesn't manifest it's toll of effect on their lives later on. popular Tv programs for the young ones as you have rightly mentioned such as tales by moonlight, kidi-vision 101, sesame street, e.t.c were didactic and had lots of moral lessons along with them. oh! thinking about how devoted I was to watching those programmes really make me feel nostalgic. things are rather changing very fast now, the IT age and younger ones are exposed to a lot of adult movies, little wonder sexual pervasiveness is on the increase. I just hope they see these media as a tool for proper education and setting kids along the right path. though parents are doing their best and teachers aren't doing badly (I suppose), the media has a LOT of role to play!
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by sizzlers(m): 11:39pm On Jan 25, 2012
pato405:

they have deliberately decided to ignore the younger ones and I hope this doesn't manifest it's toll of effect on their lives later on. popular Tv programs for the young ones as you have rightly mentioned such as tales by moonlight, kidi-vision 101, sesame street, e.t.c were didactic and had lots of moral lessons along with them. oh! thinking about how devoted I was to watching those programmes really make me feel nostalgic. things are rather changing very fast now, the IT age and younger ones are exposed to a lot of adult movies, little wonder intimate pervasiveness is on the increase. I just hope they see these media as a tool for proper education and setting kids along the right path. though parents are doing their best and teachers aren't doing badly (I suppose), the media has a LOT of role to play!

Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by eghost247(m): 4:51am On Jan 26, 2012
memories
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by ojubi(m): 7:19am On Jan 26, 2012
Shabe all ye re complaining. DSTV and other cables subscription is the problem here. If u do not subscribe every body 'll think u re selfish or old school. But if refuse to subscribe the kids 'll have no option than to make do with NTA, AIT etal. I still miss my dad black and white TV, i miss Gringory and Jebrudaya, i miss Jaguar, and many more.
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by pato405(m): 11:20am On Jan 26, 2012
ojubi:

Shabe all ye re complaining. DSTV and other cables subscription is the problem here. If u do not subscribe every body 'll think u re selfish or old school. But if refuse to subscribe the kids 'll have no option than to make do with NTA, AIT etal. I still miss my dad black and white TV, i miss Gringory and Jebrudaya, i miss Jaguar, and many more.

i agree completely with you. i saw this same DSTV  badly shape the lives of my uncle's children while i stayed with them over a period of 8years. they were so addicted to 4 particular channels - channel O, E-channel, MTV music & super sports. it's impact on the lives became so evident over time but the harm was already done. the youngest one (addicted to cartoon network) talked (even till date) like a pupet, always snivelling and whinning. the older ones belived life's all about wearing expensive branded designer clothes, pulling their trousers way below waist line -called it 'sagging' and wearing fat chains in the name of necklace -fat enough to chain a german shepherd or any notorious criminal - they called it 'bling-bling'. they could tell you off-hand the names of all players in all football clubs in the world; just name it, EPL, Laliga, Serie A, Argentine or Brazilian league and tell you how he was transferred and how much he earns but they can't tell you jack about their own state governor, neither can they confidently name 1 Nigerian minister.

i observed that when their friends came around, their discussions were also about what they watched on DSTV and the flamboyant lives of the celebrities they watched on DSTV. they all want to travel abroad and make BIG money like celebrities and that defined their dreams. little attention was paid to studies and I don't even want to go there because as I speak with you now, that is a NO-Go area- nothing to show for it o! not even from any of them.

it's hight time we all speak-up against the toll of effect the media has on children particularly over-time.
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by IanTee: 9:08pm On Jan 27, 2012
I choose not to subscribe to cable or satellite for the kids just because i have no control over the programs they show.

instead i just buy them dvd's and they love it

anyways you can stay up to date with news from home.

for those in the US and Canada visit w w w. t e l a f r i c t v. c o m

Its free and allows you watch NTA AIT, BEN TV and others.

w w w. t e l a f r i c t v. c o m
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by Nobody: 7:48am On Jan 28, 2012
pato405:

i agree completely with you. i saw this same DSTV  badly shape the lives of my uncle's children while i stayed with them over a period of 8years. they were so addicted to 4 particular channels - channel O, E-channel, MTV music & super sports. it's impact on the lives became so evident over time but the harm was already done. the youngest one (addicted to cartoon network) talked (even till date) like a pupet, always snivelling and whinning. the older ones belived life's all about wearing expensive branded designer clothes, pulling their trousers way below waist line -called it 'sagging' and wearing fat chains in the name of necklace -fat enough to chain a german shepherd or any notorious criminal - they called it 'bling-bling'. they could tell you off-hand the names of all players in all football clubs in the world; just name it, EPL, Laliga, Serie A, Argentine or Brazilian league and tell you how he was transferred and how much he earns but they can't tell you jack about their own state governor, neither can they confidently name 1 Nigerian minister.

i observed that when their friends came around, their discussions were also about what they watched on DSTV and the flamboyant lives of the celebrities they watched on DSTV. they all want to travel abroad and make BIG money like celebrities and that defined their dreams. little attention was paid to studies and I don't even want to go there because as I speak with you now, that is a NO-Go area- nothing to show for it o! not even from any of them.

it's hight time we all speak-up against the toll of effect the media has on children particularly over-time.

haven't you heard of parental control?
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by pato405(m): 10:31am On Jan 28, 2012
oyb:

haven't you heard of parental control?

parental control indeed. how many parents use it?
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 28, 2012
pato405:

parental control indeed. how many parents use it?

perhaps you should aslo drive without seat belts

on the one hand you complain about what is on dstv, on the other when reminded that dstv comes with the option for parental control, you blather about how many parents use it

what sort of defeatist argument is that?
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by pato405(m): 10:44am On Jan 28, 2012
oyb:

perhaps you should aslo drive without seat belts

on the one hand you complain about what is on dstv, on the other when reminded that dstv comes with the option for parental control, you blather about how many parents use it

what sort of defeatist argument is that?

nitwit, dstv has suddenly turned to a car. as if we r not all aware of the tug of war between drivers n traffic officials b4 compliance with using seat belt policy. even till date, many still don't use it. perhaps u woke from d wrong side of the bed and looking for someone to bandy words with. it's too early sha. look else-where. FYI, many parents dont use it and even when dey do, som stubborn kids have a way of decoding it.
Re: Entertaining Our Children On Nigerian Television by mbulela: 11:33am On Jan 30, 2012
pato405:

nitwit, dstv has suddenly turned to a car. as if we r not all aware of the tug of war between drivers n traffic officials b4 compliance with using seat belt policy. even till date, many still don't use it. perhaps u woke from d wrong side of the bed and looking for someone to bandy words with. it's too early sha. look else-where. FYI, many parents dont use it and even when dey do, som stubborn kids have a way of decoding it.
guy, take it easy.
no need for the insults.
you made a complaint and a solution was suggested and you turned down the solution. that sounds a bit defeatist to me.
crux of the matter is, have you tried using the parental control to avoid the problem you mentioned?
we are not discussing other parents.we are discussing YOU.

(1) (Reply)

Hitv Gives Out 100,000 Free Decoders To Nigerians / Big Brother Africa, The Chase / Television Shows You Can't Do Without

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.