Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,901 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? (19770 Views)

Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria / Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem / ***how To Check Automatic Transmission Before Buying A Used Car*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by Cyberknight: 10:32pm On Nov 07, 2013
Tempers, tempers, everyone. Lets all take a deep breath and calm down for a minute. A lot of opinions have been expressed here, some rather forcefully, and others not, but in the end we're here to swap opinions and learn from each other and not to denigrate said opinions.

Let me fly my colours first - I'm a manual tranny man all the way. I learnt how to drive with a manual (in the same much - abused Lagos traffic) and have been driving manual cars almost continuously since then. I own one manual and an auto tranny car at the moment and I drive them both almost equally, not really favouring one over the other - i.e. I haven't got a daily driver.

Having said that, I'd like to say that I agree with the part of Ikenna's opinion where he vociferates against the herd mentality of many Nigerians here and I have to say that I agree with him and have been faced with this many times. Many people retail statements and conventional wisdom that they take as gospel without having first thought them through or investigated them and this is what Ikenna was railing against. His opinions were expressed forcefully, granted, but that does not rob them of their basic truth regarding the fact that a lot of Nigerians allow others to do their thinking for them and not just with respect to cars but in other areas as well, religion being a notable example. This perhaps has to do with the fact that too few people value information or the virtue of being well-informed, even in these days where information is theoretically at everyone's fingertips.

An auto tranny may or may not be easier to drive in stop-and-go traffic or just generally. I do not believe that it is easier to drive an auto in such situations, but that is a matter of opinion. It's subjective. But an objective discussion of the merits of one kind of tranny over the other (objective, mind you, based on hard facts not surmises and conventional wisdom) should result in a comparison of durability, cost, maintenance as opposed to comforts derived, ease of operation, etc, and I am of the opinion that on such a careful weighing of the facts, the manual transmission wins out.

Let's also remember that years ago conventional wisdom had it that automatics were the very devil and were to be avoided at all costs and at that time virtually all cars on Nigerian roads (including Lagos roads) had manual transmissions. I don't recall people complaining about driving manual tranny cars in Lagos traffic then, even in the horrible situation we had before the third mainland bridge was built.

I used to like to take trips with my car and for me motoring nirvana is a V6 engine mated to a manual transmission. That includes the two viscerally hated bugbears of Nigerian conventional wisdom - the V6 engine and the manual transmission. Everything has its pros and its cons, but I believe it is the hallmark of a reasonable man to take his decisions and form his opinions by basing himself, as much as is possible, on proven facts and not conventional wisdom.

7 Likes

Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by Nobody: 11:18am On Nov 08, 2013
Had this arguement with a couple of guys yesterday evening and the arguement is still same;Auto tyranny lovers most times look down on those that loves manual as backward guys that do not like the fine things in life. Some even accuse us of being too broke to afford auto cars

Manual lovers on the other hand perceive auto lovers as dummies.

Fact is its all a matter of choice and personal taste. What I like may not necessarily ‎​be what the next guy likes.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by DisGuy: 9:15pm On Nov 09, 2013
@ Sienna

True then true now!!

I mean almost every topic on the car talk section is about trans oil, faulty gears

1 Like

Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by sultaan(m): 4:54am On Nov 10, 2013
From what I read in Siena's post

Ford, a client of Getrag have problem with parts supplied for some models, my fusion uses a Aisin unit.

There are other manufacturers out there using the same part do I think it could be said that Ford is a victim of this failures just as owners but unfortunately the price is paid by both in reputation and a little cash from oeners grin

I think if users understand the part business they are less likely to write off certain models

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getrag
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by HenriettaTee: 10:18pm On Nov 16, 2013
My opinion about this?, Most private cars owers in Logos dn not know hw to drive, the reason why they all jump on auto trans, slot to D and step on paddles.

I uses both auto and manual trans,but manual mostly due to economy and others, my colleagues that use auto trans are always complaining about ankle and knell pains, ask my WHY? They always hung their legs throughout the traffic, u ve the prevailege of execising ur legs up and down when u use manual trans.

THE BITTER TRUTH: A lot of us can't drive!!!, I stand to be corrected, but if you can't drive a manual trans and u drag an auto trans along anywhere u go and calls ur self a driver, you are just deceiving urself. As our politicians and NFF guys would always say, go back to the drawing board!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by yungboss(m): 8:48am On Nov 17, 2013
Good morning Siena,
my email address has been suspended by yahoo for no clear reason. I have retired in trying to retrieve it. I will communicate a new one to you soon. Thank you.
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by Nobody: 11:50am On Nov 17, 2013
yungboss: Good morning Siena,
my email address has been suspended by yahoo for no clear reason. I have retired in trying to retrieve it. I will communicate a new one to you soon. Thank you.

No worries bro.
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by soljade80(m): 8:44am On Nov 29, 2013
Nissan Altima 2007
Nissan VIN: 1N4BL21E37C107709
P1729 [0, 17, 26] PAST
P0746 PRS CVT SOL/A FCTN PAST
P0868 [0, 0, 8, 68] PAST

Please can anyone help and advice?
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by wisesystem: 9:55pm On Nov 30, 2013
elektra80:

+10 for u. Why should we be forced to drive manual just because some James Bond wanna be find it fun. One man's food is another man's poison. I'll save my energy for better things rather than engaging clutch and shifting sticks. Give me a manual any day i will still drive it like a pro. Ask me to make a choice i will choose automatic.

'FORCED TO DRIVE MANUAL?' I think I need to Re-read this thread, am so lost.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by auhanson(m): 2:04am On Jul 21, 2014
Me wether manual or auto tranny , whichever enters my hand i "Domic Torreto(fast and furious )" with it; i kickdown , downshift, revolves, burnout and drag race with both of them as no mans biz.

When i drive my auto , guys ask wether it is manual, cos i'm no " D " driver . When i drive my manual, i kept on wondering what is meant by burning of clutch cos it refuses to happen despite the hard drive, abuses and hold ups.

Auto is good and manual as well is gud and far cheaper to maintain over the years with no hassles, wether you Domic Torreto with it or not. I enjoy every minutes of my driving, wether in the city or on the higway, its usually a great fun. If i feel like manual, i give it a shot; if i feel like auto, i give it a shot in much the same way and manner too.

Manual makes u feel kinky on the steering ; Manipulating an auto tranny too into manual is even another form of fun, a wonderful experience on the steering but fuel consuming. So keep what gives you passion and relief from hard days work, make driving a pleasure and fun. see ya

1 Like

Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by mejai(m): 9:49pm On Aug 27, 2014
Oga Siena and Ikenna r ryt. dis topic is not even abt personal choice.... it's about which gives problems. auto tranny is a no go area.
an interesting thread.
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by fidelio2002: 4:36pm On Aug 28, 2014
I learnt how to drive wt a manual And my first car which i used for 5yrs was manual. But immediately i switched to auto i told myself i ll neva drive a manual again. Whoever thinks auto cars r problematic because of gear issues which is actually their fault because of poor maintenance should keep on driving their manual. As for me, there is № going bck to manual. Shikena!

3 Likes

Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by mfm04622: 10:15pm On Aug 29, 2014
oblo: If we manual tranny fans talk about our love for them as against maintenance cost the auto fans want to "fall our hand" by saying that if one has money to maintain his auto they see no reason not to stick to autos. But ikenna/ siena said it all. I love manuals, and yes some people dnt know how to drive manuals in the right way, and yes till date(I stand to be corrected) no auto tranny has ever outlived the lifespan of that car as against the manual tranny, maintenance cost of the auto far outweighs a manual or how can any auto fan here explain why a particular bank I know first hand(if not all banks in naija) all have up to 97% manual tranny official cars

Banks buy manual vehicles because they are cheaper! Simple
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by Nobody: 3:05am On Aug 30, 2014
mfm04622:

Banks buy manual vehicles because they are cheaper! Simple
Not cheaper, because they are easier to maintain! Cost cutting brah.
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by San2ski(m): 3:37pm On Nov 10, 2014
=Cyberknight

....I used to like to take trips with my car and for me motoring nirvana is a V6 engine mated to a manual transmission. That includes the two viscerally hated bugbears of Nigerian conventional wisdom - the V6 engine and the manual transmission. Everything has its pros and its cons, but I believe it is the hallmark of a reasonable man to take his decisions and form his opinions by basing himself, as much as is possible, on proven facts and not conventional wisdom. ...."

Sorry Oga.
Abeg v6 get manual transmission?
Your grammar dey beyond me I beg. If it has, which Japanese or European makes can they be found. I am seriously interested.

[/quote]
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by Ikenna351(m): 4:31pm On Nov 10, 2014
San2ski:
=Cyberknight

....I used to like to take trips with my car and for me motoring nirvana is a V6 engine mated to a manual transmission. That includes the two viscerally hated bugbears of Nigerian conventional wisdom - the V6 engine and the manual transmission. Everything has its pros and its cons, but I believe it is the hallmark of a reasonable man to take his decisions and form his opinions by basing himself, as much as is possible, on proven facts and not conventional wisdom. ...."

Sorry Oga.
Your grammar dey beyond me I beg. If it has, which Japanese or European makes can they be found. I am seriously interested.

My current 2 Lions are all V6 stick. In fact, 3 stick V6 Lions so far.

Ikenna
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by Edunwa302(m): 7:00am On Nov 12, 2014
gist4real:
I am not an auto guru, when people like Siena, Ikenna et al talk about cars, I read and humbly learn and believe me I've learnt a lot from these guys, but when it comes to the "battle" between auto and manual I think I can talk not as a Guru but based on my personal experience. I live lagos and I used to have a business in Benin. For 7years I was driving from lagos to Benin @ least thrice a week in my small nissan sunny 1.6 with a manual gear (lil Sunnie I still miss u) later changed it to a 96 honda accord still manual. Apart from this I used an aunt's Honda Pilot and Crv for a while. When in comes to responsiveness you cant compare a manual transmission with auto. Manual automobiles are responsive. My God they are! They are best for long journeys you are part of the action every second of the journey. They are engaging to drive, they are sweet to drive. The driver is in control. Personally I cant drive a vehicle with auto tyranny longer than 2hrs for fear I'll dose off no matter how modern or luxurious. If I want to ‎​be driven, then I'll get a driver. But if I really want to drive, then I'll get a manual.
In terms of maintenance you cant even begin to compare the two I bought my wife a 99 honda accord auto, nice interior, but what I spent on the transmission was enough to buy @ least one other car.

And for those saying it causes leg pain I don't know how because in all my years of driving manual never for once have I had an unusual leg pa

Manual all the way.

Based on my personal experience.

Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by Edunwa302(m): 7:03am On Nov 12, 2014
gist4real:
I am not an auto guru, when people like Siena, Ikenna et al talk about cars, I read and humbly learn and believe me I've learnt a lot from these guys, but when it comes to the "battle" between auto and manual I think I can talk not as a Guru but based on my personal experience. I live lagos and I used to have a business in Benin. For 7years I was driving from lagos to Benin @ least thrice a week in my small nissan sunny 1.6 with a manual gear (lil Sunnie I still miss u) later changed it to a 96 honda accord still manual. Apart from this I used an aunt's Honda Pilot and Crv for a while. When in comes to responsiveness you cant compare a manual transmission with auto. Manual automobiles are responsive. My God they are! They are best for long journeys you are part of the action every second of the journey. They are engaging to drive, they are sweet to drive. The driver is in control. Personally I cant drive a vehicle with auto tyranny longer than 2hrs for fear I'll dose off no matter how modern or luxurious. If I want to ‎​be driven, then I'll get a driver. But if I really want to drive, then I'll get a manual.
In terms of maintenance you cant even begin to compare the two I bought my wife a 99 honda accord auto, nice interior, but what I spent on the transmission was enough to buy @ least one other car.

And for those saying it causes leg pain I don't know how because in all my years of driving manual never for once have I had an unusual leg pain.

Manual all the way.

Based on my personal experience.

Well said........if I want to b driven I ll get a driver but if I want to drive I get a manual tranny
I luv my 2000 camry L4 manual tranny,on high way it rocks

1 Like

Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by Edunwa302(m): 7:21am On Nov 12, 2014
San2ski:
=Cyberknight

Sorry Oga.

Oga u can get a manual tranny fitted on a v6. Engine on camry 96,99. En even 00/01

2 Likes

Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by Cyberknight: 1:57am On Nov 14, 2014
San2ski:
=Cyberknight

Sorry Oga.

My brother, you can get yourself a V8 or a V10 engine with a 6- or 7-speed manual if you so desire - manual transmissions come with all engine configurations...

1 Like

Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by Kashif(m): 6:13pm On May 08, 2015
Interesting thread.

No doubt, manual trans are more durable than autos. No matter how you pamper your auto trans, it goes into coma one day. Many factors contribute to auto transmission failure. An auto transmission in Enugu will outlive one in Lagos.

We are still helpless in Naija, when it comes to auto transmission repairs.
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by caesaraba(m): 7:58pm On May 09, 2015
Kashif:
Interesting thread.

No doubt, manual trans are more durable than autos. No matter how you pamper your auto trans, it goes into coma one day. Many factors contribute to auto transmission failure. An auto transmission in Enugu will outlive one in Lagos.

We are still helpless in Naija, when it comes to auto transmission repairs.

Honestly, thank God I stumbled onto this thread today. I love the insight offered by ogas Siena and Ikenna351 respectively. Have been considering ditching my manual for an auto but this has given me enough reasons stick to manual. Pls @ Ikenna351, I presently have VW Golf 3 and would love to switch to Peugot 307 manual (I love ``small-body cars``). Any insights as to cost of maintenance would help sir since the Golf is very low maintenance. Thanks.
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by eherbal(m): 11:50am On May 12, 2015
#teammannytranny grin grin grin for life! friends and colleagues think I'm so yesterday .thanks Sienna for proving them wrong. So showing this beautiful write up to them.
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by blessedjohny4u: 6:21am On Jun 02, 2015
UNDERSTANDING THE DYNAMICS OF THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION MAKES IT SIMPLER TO MANAGE AND MAINTAIN IT, FOR MORE INFO ABOUT THE AUTO TRANSMISSION PLEASE VISIT http://johnyblogscars..com/
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by skylinegarage: 1:10pm On Aug 28, 2015
hmmm, Nice post but before you give pass mark to manual transmission, have you take out time to find out most vehicles user attitude toward maintenance and the right fluid for their vehicle transmission. This complain about auto tranny became popular because majority of the auto technicians in town are still trying to understand it.
for example ask your technician the type of transmission oil that is been used for your vehicle and you will be amazed the responds. Also many at times we have found out that during repairs the cooling line for the auto tranny is been disconnected by technicians with the view that "it does not matter" so why won't the system overheat and break down. Besides the servicing of transmission is not just oil change, remember when you go for your regular engine service, you change the oil and the oil filter even though most persons that even remember they have air filter in the car that need to be clean. The tranny also have it's own oil filter even if some does not require change but it deserve to be clean during servicing. Remember, whenever you drain your transmission fluid during regular servicing, there are still upto 50% of the fluid stuck in the Torque Converter that you can't get out unless by flushing. The truth is that Nigerians do not service their Vehicles by mileage rather everyone has its own definition of how and when to service. finally Vehicle fuel consumption has nothing to do with tranny!!
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by Ikenna351(m): 9:00pm On Aug 28, 2015
skylinegarage:
. finally Vehicle fuel consumption has nothing to do with tranny!!

It does.

Ikenna
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by MarkTephlon1: 5:37pm On Jun 28, 2016
Hi, I hve an ish with my cherokee laredo 2002 model gear,it just stopped selecting after I drove it through a water log area..i checked everything I needed to check, bt still not selecting...please anyhelp on what to do?
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jun 28, 2016
MarkTephlon1:
Hi, I hve an ish with my cherokee laredo 2002 model gear,it just stopped selecting after I drove it through a water log area..i checked everything I needed to check, bt still not selecting...please anyhelp on what to do?

The first thing to do, is get your car scanned. Engine and transmission. Then post the codes here.
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by sultaan(m): 7:44pm On Jun 28, 2016
MarkTephlon1:

Or turn the key from of to acc 3 times and codes will pop up.

Automatic transmission is now very common because it's more intuitive and easier way to control vehicle speed
Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by Pengolian: 10:30pm On Oct 22, 2016
Amazing thread here!

Sienna and Ikenna, I greet you guys. There's plenty I can learn from you guys. I'm currently eyeing a peugeot 504 best line. I need your views/advice on if it is possible to convert/ upgrade the engine and also convert from manual to automatic transmission.

If you can give like a price estimate, that would be super

Re: Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? by kengodson: 2:28pm On Oct 23, 2016
Pengolian:
Amazing thread here!

Sienna and Ikenna, I greet you guys. There's plenty I can learn from you guys. I'm currently eyeing a peugeot 504 best line. I need your views/advice on if it is possible to convert/ upgrade the engine and also convert from manual to automatic transmission.

If you can give like a price estimate, that would be super

call or watsap my number 08160618424 cool, but the car cost o, but its sharp

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Not Washing Your Car Properly In Australia Could Earn You A Fine Of N162,000 / What Happens If You Take The Car Key Out While Driving? / New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.