Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,050 members, 7,956,924 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:38 PM

Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" (10703 Views)

Armed Robbers Raid Sam Mbakwe Airport, Take Away N20m / Fayose Raises Committee For Airport Take –off / President Jonathan Commissions Ahmadu Bello Int'l Airport, Kebbi (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:44pm On Dec 06, 2011
KWENU: Our Culture, Our Future

11/11/11: Occupy Your Thoughts -(4)

M. O. ENE

egbedaa@aol.com

Friday, November 4, 2011

An international airport in the southeast region of Nigeria has been on my mind since the 1990s. Enugu has been an international airport since my childhood, with the common sight of BOAC flights; hey, then Colonel Odumegwu-Ojukwu flow to Aburi, Ghana from Emene (Happy Birthday, Ikemba--Oke Ogo--and long may you live), and I have lined up there as a pupil to welcome international leaders like Julius Kambarage Nyerere! The desire rekindled after a group of us successfully pushed Sani Abacha’s regime to internationalize Port Harcourt Airport.

This was how I came to know Chief Chris Chukwu (Ekwueme), who with fellow Washingtonians later formalized the first Igbo statewide association in USA that became Enugu State Association in 1998. You could imagine my joy when Dr. Kemafo Chikwe (Daa Kema) was appointed minister of aviation. A fellow Jerseyan,  sort of, I organized a reception and shopped the idea to her. She was receptive. Under Kema’s watch, the federal government conferred the “international” status.

I travelled to Naija in 2002 and followed up on ways to actualize it before 2003 elections. My oracular instincts had told me she was not coming back. She waved off the thought. Kema did not return. She left with the marvelous jobs she did at Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Nnamdi Azikiwe Internatiomal Airport, Abuja, and Aminu Kano International Airport, Kano. Zilch at Emene. The much she did at Owerri was under Udenwa's alleged gun battle!

During the WIC chairmanship of Dr. Kalu Kalu Diogu (KKD), I made a presentation to the US State Department in Washington, DC on the need for a US Consulate in Enugu. Part of my argument, besides population of southeasterners in America and our high mobility, was the coming an international airport to Enugu. They were impressed, but things don’t work just like that in DC, a lobbyist later told us outside. You get my drift. The government in Enugu was supportive, but WIC never followed up.

At the 2003 EnuguUSA convention in MD/DC area, I anchored a panel that examined the “international” issue in great details. Moderated by Dr. Uzzi Chukwu, it included Engr. Aloy Attah (of Boeing), Chief Chris Chukwu (who crunched all the economic numbers), Dr. Isaac Ike (Ukehe Deeje), Dr. Frank Akubuilo, and myself (M. O. Ene).

In late 2005, Governor Chimaroke Nnamani granted me audience in Enugu. The issue came up. He assured me that it will be a fait accompli before he left office. I had heard that the Chinese were going help and that OBJ had a soft spot for the Ebeano-epoch Enugu executive. Brother Chima looked too sure of what he said; I moved on to other matters. OBJ’s pre-2007 political jiggery pokey came to town, and it never happened.

Enter Umaru Musa Yar’Adua (UMYA). According to reports, the man was surprised when told that Enugu did not have a functional international airport! His minister of aviation, a Yoruba dude, said it was news to him that Enugu was even labeled “international.” Of course, there was no sign saying so yet. Umaru was going to do something about it. Through contacts, I sought to know if the “international” was in any state gazette. No trace. And Umaru died. May he continue to rest. Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan (GEAJ) emerged. A second sister -- a Coal City cultivated, tapioca-fed, Akwunanaw-Anglicanized Waawa women -- became the minister of aviation: Fidelia Akuabata Njeze.

Hurray!

Not so fast: Akuabata had to serve Lagos and Abuja and Kano some more,  start where Kema left off. More direct flights from USA to Lagos happened; none lined up to Enugu. I wrote severally that she wouldn’t be reappointed regardless, that it would be another missed opportunity if a pilgrimage plane didn’t leave Emene by December 2010.

The details of how President Jonathan (GEAJ) commissioned Akanu Ibiam INTERNATIONAL Airport, complete with a sign announcing it at last, will be told someday; but, without claiming any kudos, I can state that throwing out ideas helps. Of course, Governor Sullivan Chime and his team will get their kudos. The issue to address now is simple: “O’u gini jizi nkita onwu?” How come the only “international” flight since then has been the private plane that took Ikemba to London that December 2010? [May he come back soon,  alive and well,   thru AIIA, Emene.]

In 2011, GEAJ dropped Akuabata, as I had foreseen, and appointed another sister, an Anambraian married to an Edo man: Mrs. Stella Oduah-Ogiemwonyi. Like her predecessors, our sister donned her jeans and went to work on Aminu Kano International Airport! If she has visited Enugu ONCE to resolve the lingering issues, no one reported. Very soon, this sister’s tenure will be history. Maybe, it will take the appointment of an Ebonyi woman from Ehugbo (Afikpo) to lock it up!

I tell these stories, and there are many more from other patriots’ perspectives, to illustrate that we have heard and told too many stories already. As we say in Igbo: “Akuko akaria!”

One more reason to occupy your thoughts on 11/11/11 and make our so-called leaders listen: Let us demand for a no-more-excuse date for the commencement of international flight to Enugu. Customs and immigration services should be in place immediately and whatever landing aids are required need to be put in place.

The idea of long runways is passé; we are not launching spacecrafts to Mars. For those of who travel frequently or drive by big airports, check how far it takes a plane to land and come to a TOTAL stop? Emene has the length already, plus latest additions. Recently Dame Patience Jonathan landed at Sam Mbakwe International Cargo Airport in Owerri from Canada. I didn’t hear anything about difficulty in landing. I bet they didn't fly in in cargoes!

The southeast is the only zone without an international airport. Southsouth has Margaret Ekpo International Airport in Calabar and Port Harcourt International Airport, and Asaba and Uyo are set to crowd the scene soon. There should be no more excuses. If Ndiigbo REALLY want an international airport and to reduce the toll on the killing fields of Benin-Lagos road, the dumping of resources in Lagos, Abuja, and Port Harcourt, we should plan a TOTAL boycott for December 2012 and hold Sister Stella personally responsible for installing technical aids to make sure the airport conforms to the Standards and Recommended Practices of International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), adequate airport lighting, new control tower, new local and international terminals/gates, parking and enhance vehicular access.  This much we can do.

Remember Frederick Douglass’ words: “Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.

Courtesy Kwenu.com

***************                                               ****************
From the above article by M.O. Ene and the picture below (taken last year), i was right in thinking on another thread (though erroneously) that runway construction issues had been finalised regarding Enugu Airport. Why it's still on-going is partly due to the laid-back/lackadaisical approach to projects located in the South East, and (as seen from the above article) also partly of our making as we've had three sisters as ministers of Aviation thus far with little on nothing to show for it.

As Mr Ene noted, it's not like they're constructing a runway to Mars, that it should take this long to complete. Pressure should be put on the relevant authorities to stop faffing about trying to fool people with building "a runway to Mars", and just commision the Airport for full Int'l flights. This will surely save life and property that would otherwise have been lost on that highway to hell: A.K.A, Benin-Ore expressway.

The article was written b/4 Ikemba Nnewi passed on. RIP Uncle Emeka.

Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by Onlytruth(m): 4:08am On Dec 07, 2011
When will this airport become operational? Please anyone with latest information should tell us.
Honestly, this airport is supposed to start operation soonest. It is so viable and people are waiting for it.
What is really going on
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by EkoIle1: 4:26am On Dec 07, 2011
lol grin grin grin grin
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:07am On Dec 07, 2011
Eko Ile:

lol grin grin grin grin

Why are you laughing ?

Onlytruth:

When will this airport become operational? Please anyone with latest information should tell us.
Honestly, this airport is supposed to start operation soonest. It is so viable and people are waiting for it.
What is really going on

^^^At least one bruh is joining me to wonder out loud. In this country you need to demand, pester and fight for what's your due otherwise you get nada; zilch; zippo; fuc*k-all; etc.

And i'll be keeping an eye on the Onitsha River Port that we were told would be commissioned in October.
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by marocguy(m): 1:00pm On Dec 07, 2011
i tuk pictures,created and uploaded a thread on progress of the runway last week on NL.
@onlytruth,you can search my previous posts to view them and my report.

Sadly i missed a twitter meeting with the minister,stella oduah yesterday. I had loads of questions for her.
But frm last week to now,even by this morning on my way to work,i observed that the runway which i reported 98% completed last week,is almost completed. The fine layer has been completely constructed.
Other issues now remain the lighting and safety equipments on it which was obvhously not installed yet.
I just hope madam oduah does not dissapoint us like the former.
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by aljharem3: 1:11pm On Dec 07, 2011
i really hope these airport becomes the third major int airport in nigeria

good move wink
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by DisGuy: 1:22pm On Dec 07, 2011
Why is PH not getting any direct flight? is it not viable?

Marginalisation of the highest order cheesy

the previous Aviation ministers have been northerners thats why - Fidelia Njeze, Omotoba, Ms Oduah
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by otokx(m): 1:27pm On Dec 07, 2011
PH has direct flights in principle via Lufthansa and Air france.
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by DisGuy: 1:29pm On Dec 07, 2011
otokx:

PH has direct flights in principle via Lufthansa and Air france.

Thanks otoks, How PH treating you
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by marocguy(m): 1:34pm On Dec 07, 2011
@dis_guy women! Dats why. Put someone like senator. Chukwumerije or anyother strong willed southerner there and watch the transformation. Not stooge wives of politicians that play given scripts
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by ezeagu(m): 1:41pm On Dec 07, 2011
I don't think this airport will work as well as it is intended. Anyway, judging from the pictures and how little the entire construction is, and also from other airports in Nigeria, I really don't think this airport will be of international standard, apart from the runway, like the new Lagos terminal. It would probably be like the tiny Port Harcourt airport.

When I say international standard, I mean several ramps and gates with bridges. Elevators, information desks, voice overs, lost and found, cafe's, restaurants, shops, several stories, taxi parking, general parking, several coaches to different gates, etc.

[center][/center]
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by DisGuy: 1:43pm On Dec 07, 2011
ezeagu:

I don't think this airport will work as well as it is intended. Anyway, judging from the pictures and how little the entire construction is, and also from other airports in Nigeria, I really don't think this airport will be of international standard, apart from the runway, like the new Lagos terminal. It would probably be like the tiny Port Harcourt airport.

You dont just build a big airport gbam, you start from somewhere, how many international airline have been promising to go to the east, and still the traffic with all the chest beating is nothing to write home about, let them build a standard airport then expand from there
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by ezeagu(m): 1:48pm On Dec 07, 2011
Dis Guy:

You dont just build a big airport gbam, you start from somewhere, how many international airline have been promising to go to the east, and still the traffic with all the chest beating is nothing to write home about, let them build a standard airport then expand from there

Are you sure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Brandenburg_Airport

I just don't like things being done half and half, anyway I know this is Nigeria.
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by DisGuy: 2:03pm On Dec 07, 2011
ezeagu:

Are you sure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Brandenburg_Airport

I just don't like things being done half and half, anyway I know this is Nigeria.

Gbam

Berlin Brandenburg Airport (IATA: BER, ICAO: EDDB) (German: Flughafen Berlin Brandenburg Willy Brandt) is a new international airport under construction 18 kilometres (11 mi) south of central Berlin, the capital city of Germany. It is scheduled to open on 3 June 2012.[2] The airport is located in Schönefeld on the border between the states of Berlin and Brandenburg and will be named after the former German Chancellor and Nobel Peace Laureate Willy Brandt. Construction costs are estimated at 2.5 billion euros.[3]

The new airport will replace three airports in Berlin
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by musiwa43: 2:10pm On Dec 07, 2011
Then Why has Enugu state government not built an airport.

there are too many airport in the eastern part of nigeria. I think that why Enugu state government does not want to waste its time in building airport.

When you compare with the west that need serious attention by the Nigeria govt.   Nigeria second largest cities Ibadan has the worst airport in Nigeria.   the airport runway in akure is below damage,     there is  no runaway in Osogbo. Ekiti has no airport.  the benin airport is damage.  when the east already have very good airport. the east have the best airport in Nigeria , after the north.

The eastern part of nigeria airport.  some pictures.  WARRI IS NOT IN THE EAST.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-hEeE1BfsQbQ/TcQvtdhICkI/AAAAAAAAAJk/DgQjLoQOaXk/s1600/margaret_ekpo_inte_galleryfull.jpg[/img]

Warri airport

North

Yorubaland airport.

[img]http://1.bp..com/_vbMo7BlNTZM/TGl__o1rUwI/AAAAAAAACCM/onAGjwUHWfw/s400/f4201014AugFowlerKSAirport.jpg[/img]

The western Niger of Nigerian has the most population than any part of Nigeria. The only airport , you can claim is lagos.

Ibadan is the second largest city in Nigeria from satellite picture, followed by Benin city which is the third largest cities. Ibadan and Benin cities do not have real airport, it makes it hard for the government to build in Enugu because even the one in Enugu now is better than tha Ibadan airport or the benin airport or the akure airport or the ilorin airport. All of this cities are basically bigger than enugu from satellite pictures. You can call your igbo family who live abroad to telll you, if I am telling you lies.

This is benin city airport.

Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by ezeagu(m): 2:17pm On Dec 07, 2011
Dis Guy:

Gbam

Berlin Brandenburg Airport (IATA: BER, ICAO: EDDB) (German: Flughafen Berlin Brandenburg Willy Brandt) is a new international airport under construction 18 kilometres (11 mi) south of central Berlin, the capital city of Germany. It is scheduled to open on 3 June 2012.[2] The airport is located in Schönefeld on the border between the states of Berlin and Brandenburg and will be named after the former German Chancellor and Nobel Peace Laureate Willy Brandt. Construction costs are estimated at 2.5 billion euros.[3]

The new airport will replace three airports in Berlin

Of course I meant the Nigerian attitude to cut corners on things, there's no reason why an international airport in Nigeria shouldn't be of the same standard or better than one in Germany, apart from incompetence.
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:02pm On Dec 07, 2011
ezeagu:

Of course I meant the Nigerian attitude to cut corners on things, there's no reason why an international airport in Nigeria shouldn't be of the same standard or better than one in Germany, apart from incompetence.

^^^Speaking as a Nigerian, i'd like the best airport to be constructed in Lagos, and the present one bombed into oblivion. I know i'm not the only one that gets ashamed anytime i use that prehistoric monstrosity: As you step of the plane, the heat at that airport hits you like a blast furnace; like you've stepped into the inner recesses of hell. You notice the difference esp' after flying in from a cutting-edge designed airport like Terminal-5 in London.

For fairness, every geo-political zone should have a federal government enabled/partly financed airport. And then any region that so desires can seek for extra finances to improve on the design/facilities if so desired.

@Egbon Musiwa: Abeg no make me laugh with those pics. You posted the best possible pics of other airports, and when it comes to the South West, you go and post a pic of a semi-arid dry landscape (that wouldn't be out of place as a scene from mars) to engender sympathy. Nice try!!
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by Okijajuju1(m): 5:37pm On Dec 07, 2011
The issue of Enugu airport is one that needs to be addressed from a purely unbiased standpoint.

First of all, here is a list of all the "INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTS IN NIGERIA" as it is;

Murtala Mohammed International - Lagos

Nnamdi Azikiwe International - Abuja

Omagwa International Airport - Rivers State

Aminu Kano International Airport - Kano

Sam Mbakwe International Cargo Airport - Imo.

Margret Epko International Airport - Cross Rivers

Akanu Ibiam International Airport - Enugu

Sadiq Abubakar International Airport - Sokoto.

Now!! Lets list the number of Airlines both international and Domestic that fly everyday out of Nigeria; (I will be needing help on this one)

AirFrance - KLM - Luftansa - British Airways - Iberia - Ethiopian Airways - Arik - Air Nigeria - Air Afrique - China Southern Airlines - Delta airlines - Emirates - Kenya Airways - Middle East Airlines - South African Airlines etc.

If you notice, apart from Kano which gets prolly just one flight, Sokoto (maybe during pilgrimage), Port-Harcourt (2 flights Airfrance and Lufthansa), Abuja (BA and KLM), all others fly out of lagos. The proximity of Enugu to port-harcourt (3hrs) also does not help. Lets also look at the operational cost for the airlines as well, can Enugu Airport boast of daily passenger traffic, enough to fill a boeing 737 to any destination?! If yes! then please! Im all for it, if not then I'm sorry, this case would be difficult to plead. Just saying!
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by blacklion(m): 5:49pm On Dec 07, 2011
Okija_juju:

, can Enugu Airport boast of daily passenger traffic, enough to fill a boeing 737 to any destination?! If yes! then please! Im all for it, if not then I'm sorry, this case would be difficult to plead. Just saying!

At least one-third and possibly up to half of the passengers on certain routes through Lagos airport originated their journeys from the East and are returning to the East. Have you ever been at MMA in the mid-afternoon when the Emirates, Qatar Airways and Egyptair flights come in? 50% of the passengers are actually Igbo business people returning from Dubai and the Far East; many of them will connect that same day via flight or night bus to the East. Direct flights from Enugu to the Far East via Dubai or Doha will easily fill a Boeing 777 or Airbus 340 daily.

An international airport in Enugu will serve the business community in Onitsha as well as Enugu, Ebonyi and Anambra states generally. Despite its proximity to Aba, Owerri and Umuahia, PH airport is not necessarily optimal for business people in those areas due to the bad conditions and insecurity on the roads to PH airport.
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by ezeagu(m): 5:55pm On Dec 07, 2011
Okija_juju:

The proximity of Enugu to port-harcourt (3hrs) also does not help.

How? There can be international airports within 1 hour of each other if the air traffic permits. The isn't exactly an Autobahn route linking Enugu, and the rest of Nigeria, to Port Harcourt.
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by Onlytruth(m): 6:01pm On Dec 07, 2011
blacklion:

At least one-third and possibly up to half of the passengers on certain routes through Lagos airport originated their journeys from the East and are returning to the East. Have you ever been at MMA in the mid-afternoon when the Emirates, Qatar Airways and Egyptair flights come in? 50% of the passengers are actually Igbo business people returning from Dubai and the Far East; many of them will connect that same day via flight or night bus to the East. Direct flights from Enugu to the Far East via Dubai or Doha will easily fill a Boeing 777 or Airbus 340 daily.

An international airport in Enugu will serve the business community in Onitsha as well as Enugu, Ebonyi and Anambra states generally. Despite its proximity to Aba, Owerri and Umuahia, PH airport is not necessarily optimal for business people in those areas due to the bad conditions and insecurity on the roads to PH airport.

Thank you my brother!
You articulated the truth POWERFULLY. Part of the lies behind our disenfranchisement via this airport, has been this odd argument surrounding its viability.
However, true Igbo sons/daughters always know the truth, no matter how loudly charlatans shout!  undecided

Methinks that this airport, coupled with a good Enugu-Port Harcourt expressway, would couple with Owerri International Cargo Airport to cover the whole Igbo heartland properly.  cool
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by Onlytruth(m): 6:04pm On Dec 07, 2011
ezeagu:

How? [b]There can be international airports within 1 hour of each other if the air traffic permits. [/b]The isn't exactly an Autobahn route linking Enugu, and the rest of Nigeria, to Port Harcourt.

Thank you my brother ezeagu!
There are two international airports within 40 minutes drive here in the US.
I wonder why people say things they don't know. undecided
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by Onlytruth(m): 6:07pm On Dec 07, 2011
loolz@ musiwa! hehehe! grin grin grin grin grin

C'mon musiwa, na lie be that! [size=5pt]I de fear that your open field airport o.[/size]
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by DisGuy: 6:26pm On Dec 07, 2011
Onlytruth:

Thank you my brother!
You articulated the truth POWERFULLY. Part of the lies behind our disenfranchisement via this airport, has been this odd argument surrounding its viability.
However, true Igbo sons/daughters always know the truth, no matter how loudly charlatans shout!  undecided

Methinks that this airport, coupled with a good Enugu-Port Harcourt expressway, would couple with Owerri International Cargo Airport to cover the whole Igbo heartland properly.  cool

argh marginalisation again, when did the Northerns bar BA, KLM, etc from flying to these airports?
Is it the FG that will force  them to fly straight to the east or its the Operators themselves that will lobby to be given landing slots

These Airlines are always marginalising the Igbos  angry

I wont be surprised to the Northerners on the board of BA, KLM, Delta etc even Arik is not flying from the East imagine the cheating
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by blacklion(m): 6:42pm On Dec 07, 2011
BA and KLM flights from Europe to Enugu would not be economically optimal. Passengers on UK/Europe routes are mostly Yoruba, Edo/Delta plus some Hausa/Middle Belt. But Delta flights from Houston, Atlanta or Chicago to Enugu would be very profitable due to the large Igbo diaspora communities in those locations.

Likewise, Emirates, Qatar Airways, China Southern to Enugu would be economically profitable to due to the high volume of Igbo business people travelling to and from Dubai and the Far East.

Let the requisite facilities plus govt agencies [customs, immigration etc] be installed to make Enugu an int airport first and then we'll see if the airlines will ignore the profit opportunities.
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by Okijajuju1(m): 9:19pm On Dec 07, 2011
Onlytruth:

Thank you my brother ezeagu!
There are two international airports within 40 minutes drive here in the US.
I wonder why people say things they don't know. undecided

so the question i asked was it wrong or bad?!

stop talking about the us in a conversation such as these because we do not even begin to compare, all these international flights i listed are barely even full on some occassions, i have been on an airfrance flight that was barely up to 50% of its capacity, you just cant redirect the traffic of an airline purely out on ethnis or sentimental reasons, it would be more profitable if the clamour was for the dredging of the river niger and establishment of a port in anambra because from my brief stay working with the nigerian ports authority, i can tell you that alot of business men would greatly appreciate one,

if humann traffic where so plenty on international routes, most airlines would be running two flights daily out of here or you would have multiple airlines flying the same route.

lets be logical in our discussion please, according to ezeagu, easterners make up the bulk of passengers on certain routes and I find that quite interesting to note, I had no idea, Yet there are no daily local flights out of these eastern airports, That's rather hard to swallow, Just sayin
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by Nchara: 9:44pm On Dec 07, 2011
Okija_juju:

so the question i asked was it wrong or bad?!

stop talking about the us in a conversation such as these because we do not even begin to compare, all these international flights i listed are barely even full on some occassions, i have been on an airfrance flight that was barely up to 50% of its capacity, you just cant redirect the traffic of an airline purely out on ethnis or sentimental reasons, it would be more profitable if the clamour was for the dredging of the river niger and establishment of a port in anambra because from my brief stay working with the nigerian ports authority, i can tell you that alot of business men would greatly appreciate one,

if humann traffic where so plenty on international routes, most airlines would be running two flights daily out of here or you would have multiple airlines flying the same route.

lets be logical in our discussion please, according to ezeagu, easterners make up the bulk of passengers on certain routes and I find that quite interesting to note, I had no idea, Yet there are no daily local flights out of these eastern airports, That's rather hard to swallow, Just sayin

fyi

The Re-opening of Enugu Airport

Thisday Editorial

Monday, December 27, 2010

Hundreds of thousands of air passengers who use the Akanu Ibiam airport, Enugu, have every reason to be happy at the re-opening of the facility a few days ago. The airport, now upgraded to an international status, had been shut down for more than ten months so that refurbishing work could take place.

While the airport was in disuse Enugu-bound passengers had to endure the routing of their flights through the much smaller Sam Mbakwe airport in Owerri. They would then drive another three hours to Enugu through a federal highway that is in shambles. For most part the journey by road to or from Owerri was like running a gauntlet between armed robbers and kidnappers. Many paid dearly while the closure of the Enugu airport lasted. However, as the saying goes, all is well that ends well.

The reopening of the airport following the expansion of the runway is a welcome development. The Akanu Ibiam airport is one of the oldest in the country. Years of neglect had, however, left the facility in a less-than-befitting state. Not only were the run ways not long enough for international flights, even the departure and arrival lounges had become utterly seedy, lacking some of the basic facilities that standard airports are known for all over the world. News of the upgrading of the airport was understandably therefore well received by most people who use the facility regularly.

As an international airport, the Akanu Ibiam facility is expected to be equipped with modern facilities to enable travelers flying out of the country to take off from Enugu without having to go to Lagos, Abuja or even the Port Harcourt international airport. That it took so long to upgrade the airport is one of those ironies of the Nigerian state. A survey of foreign trips made by Nigerians over the past decade, for instance, indicates that a good deal of it involves people from the Southeast who would have loved to take off straight from Enugu. Yet they had to fly first into some other city before they could catch an overseas flight. Such circumnavigation! Now that the airport has been upgraded to an international status it must live up to the billing in terms of the amount of facilities available there.

Expanding the runways is not enough. Attention also needs to be paid to other operational facilities that conduce to safety. One that cannot wait is the completion of work on the facilities that would enable airplanes take off and land in the night. We hear that right now that cannot happen because the installation of the necessary facilities is yet to be completed.

The airport's terminal building also needs expansion and more modern restrooms. The existing ones are hardly befitting of an international airport. The hope of the users of the Akanu Ibiam international airport is that the airport will match the best anywhere.

For most of them, the upgrading of the airport is prayer answered. The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) must not disappoint them. All that needs to be done to make the airport truly international should be provided. Already some of the foreign carriers are reported to have expressed their preference to originate and terminate their flights in Nigeria from Enugu because of the high volume of their passengers that come from that region. That will be good for not only the prospective passengers but also for FAAN. Let nothing therefore stand in the way of the airport. By and large, we expect the federal government to also upgrade more Nigerian airports to international status.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/dec/27/207.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-575467.0.html
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by Ufeolorun(m): 9:56pm On Dec 07, 2011
Dis Guy:

argh marginalisation again, when did the Northerns bar BA, KLM, etc from flying to these airports?
Is it the FG that will force  them to fly straight to the east or its the Operators themselves that will lobby to be given landing slots

These Airlines are always marginalising the Igbos   angry

I wont be surprised to the Northerners on the board of BA, KLM, Delta etc even Arik is not flying from the East imagine the cheating

Lol!
They all sound the same way that you wonder whether its a just an individual using different monikers.
If it's not a pity party,it must be a chest beating convention lol!
Una no dey tire?
Han han! Kilode!?looool!
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by realchange: 10:02pm On Dec 07, 2011
Ufeolorun:

Lol!
They all sound the same way that you wonder whether its a just an individual using different monikers.
If it's not a pity party,it must be a chest beating convention lol!
Una no dey tire?
Han han! Kilode!?looool!

i thought it is ah ah? lol
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by Ufeolorun(m): 10:06pm On Dec 07, 2011
^
Han han kilode not English mae!
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by blacklion(m): 10:26pm On Dec 07, 2011
Okija_juju:

Emirates operates 2 daily flights Lagos-Dubai and is seeking to expand to Abuja soon. At least half of the passengers on the Emirates flights began their journey in the East and are returning to the East. About 50-60% are going to Dubai while the rest are connecting in Dubai to Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and other Far East destinations.

Most of the passengers on Qatar Airways, Kenyan Airways, Ethiopian Airlines and Egyptair are actually travelling to Dubai and the Far East - at least half of those originated their journey in the East. People going to Dubai use these airlines because they are usually $200-300 cheaper than Emirates direct flight if you don't mind waiting a few hours in transit at Doha, Nairobi, Addis or Cairo. From Jan 2012, Royal Jordanian Airlines will operate Lagos-Amman; again, this is basically a Dubai/Far East flight. Its said that Etihad will start operating Lagos-Abu Dhabi next year also. There is also China Southern Airlines operating Lagos-Beijing.

As for local flights to Enugu -

Aero, Arik and Air Nigeria operate Lagos-Enugu flights daily.

Aero and Arik operate operate Abuja-Enugu flights daily.
Re: Thoughts On Delayed Enugu Int'l Airport "take Off" by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:29pm On Dec 07, 2011
http://www.faannigeria.org/documents/statistics/2009-Annual-Aircraft-Movement.pdf

The link above shows a document for Aircraft movement numbers for 2009. Besides the obvious big ones of Lagos Port Harcourt and Abuja, the only other Airports that surpass Enugu Airport for Aircraft traffic are Benin Airport ( shocked ?) and Osubi Airstrip. This was at a time when Enugu Airport was on its last legs just b/4 it closed for so-called upgrade works. Also consider that many passengers that use Owerri Airport (which is also very busy) to connect Lagos and Abuja would prefer to use Enugu Int'l when its finally up and running, esp' if Onitsha-Enugu and Onitsha-Owerri expressways are fixed properly.

I don't think a lack of patronage would be a problem facing the airport when its finally ready.

What i can't understand is why Kano Int'l is less busy than Enugu even at a time when Enugu Airport was just managing to stay operational. I thought Kano was the industrial nerve centre of the North with a population to rival Lagos. Or do they prefer to use Abuja? Just doesn't add-up undecided.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Court Rejects Motions To Stop Saraki, Dasuki, Metuh’s Trials / Breaking News!!! Femi Kayode Is Dead! / Another Battalions Of Nigerian Soldiers Touch Down Lagos Today - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.