Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . (1107 Views)

Ekiti Govt Begins Work At Airport Site / Workers Salary: APC Should Stop Being Shameless – Ekiti Govt / Deputy Governor Has Not Resigned - Ekiti Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Gbawe: 12:49am On Dec 07, 2011
Good development for Ekiti State and its good people. This is very encouraging from Fayemi ; "The next 12 months are crucial. It is a period of see and feel. Our people will feel the impact of government like they have never felt before, especially in the area of infrastructure development. We have laid the necessary foundation for a proper take-off and nothing will stop us.''

Ekiti govt to spend N11b on 13 roads

December 6, 2011 12:38PM

The Ekiti State Government has awarded N11.5 billion contracts for the construction of 13 roads spanning 187.87kilometers.

Gov. Kayode Fayemi, who flagged off five of the road projects in Ado-Ekiti at the end of his tour of the 16 local government areas, gave the contractors between six and 12 months to complete the jobs.

The contract documents made available to newsmen showed that the projects include the conversion of the Old Garage-Ojumose Road to a dual carriage way at N866.7 million and Atikankan-Post Office-First Baptist Church Road at N891.8 million.

Others are the Ojumose-Basiri-Police Headquarters-Iyin Road, at N1.55 million; Fajuyi-University Teaching Hospital Road, at N447.54 million; and Ijigbo-Baptist College-Ilawe Road, at N788 million.

They also include the Igede-Awo-Ido Road, at N995.7 million; Ikere-Igbaraodo Road, at N495 million; Ikogosi-Ipole-Iloro-Efon Alaaye Road, at N877 million; Ijan-Ise road, at N702 million; and Ijero-Ipoti-Ayetoro Road, at N888 million.

The rest are the Ilawe-Igbara Odo-Ibuji Road, at N894.7 million; Ikole-Ijesa-Isu-Iluomoba Road, at N1.139 billion; and Oye-Ikun-Otun Road, at N1.003 billion.

Fayemi, who met with the contractors later, reminded them of government's zero tolerance for shoddy jobs, and warned them against entering into any deal with government officials, a development which he said had accounted for poorly executed contracts in the past.

He said the bulk of the money for the road projects would come from the N20 billion bond being sourced from the Capital Market and the money allocated for urban renewal project in the state budget

The governor assured the contractors of prompt payment for the jobs, but warned against embarking on unnecessary holidays once money had been paid.

He told newsmen later that the state was entering a new phase of ``see and feel,'' adding that having put in place necessary policy framework and legislative backing, Ekiti was bound to witness a more rapid development in the area of infrastructure development in the next 12 months.

``The next 12 months are crucial. It is a period of see and feel. Our people will feel the impact of government like they have never felt before, especially in the area of infrastructure development. We have laid the necessary foundation for a proper take-off and nothing will stop us.''

Fayemi said the massive construction work that would commence in the state from December would translate to employment opportunities and economic advantage for the people of the state

He said 12 road projects that were terminated by his administration last month would be re-awarded very soon.

Fayemi added that the 5km road projects embarked upon by each of the 16 local government councils would increase the total coverage to 267 km.

``If we can achieve this within the next one year and embark on another phase by 2013, then by 2014, all Ekiti roads would have become quite motorable, thereby making life more comfortable for our people.''

He appealed to residents to bear with government throughout the period the construction work would last, adding that when the roads were completed, they would not only ease transportation, but also enhance commercial activities in the state.

The governor promised that those who were affected by the demolition exercise that commenced in August would be compensated.

The Commissioner for Works and Transport, Mr Sola Adebayo, said most of the contractors had promised to deliver the jobs before the deadline.

He warned that government would be strict on the issue of deadline, in view of past experiences of abandoned projects.
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by OAM4J: 1:25am On Dec 07, 2011
Good one.
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Gbawe: 1:45am On Dec 07, 2011
OAM4J:

Good one.

Indeed. Fayemi , like Oshiomhole, comes with a good history and pedigree of defending ordinary Nigerians. I always took it for granted he would do well as a Governor. I guess the folks of Ekiti are now set to experience 'implementation phase'.
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Nobody: 1:51am On Dec 07, 2011
He said nothing about toll angry angry angry, The roads here lead to Kwara state especially Ayetoro and the commercial buses  will enjoy the roads without toll shocked shocked shocked shocked  

11b shocked shocked This ain't charity you know. To reduce taxes on other commodities, the govt should charge for commercial usage of infrastructures so they can become self sustainable. Toll cards should be introduced so commercial vehicles pay both road insurance for the state and also pay @ tollgates. No cash payments; just buy toll card and call in or pay @ a bank. Enforce that and you can generate 1b monthly with no qualms from roads alone!
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Ufeolorun(m): 6:01am On Dec 07, 2011
Toll the roads,no more free passage to Abuja,etc!
Let's make them a transit points so I can chase the youth corpers out of my grans house lol! and turn it into hotel.

@Topic,
Hopefully, cos am growing impatient with this lengthy paper-work.
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Nobody: 6:09am On Dec 07, 2011
Ufeolorun:

Let's make them a transit points so I can chase the youth corpers out of my grans house lol! and turn it into hotel.

@Topic,

Abi. Are you uptodate with the Dec ultimatum that Fayemi gave to them?

I havent heard anything about it since then. It's pissing me off.
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Ufeolorun(m): 6:28am On Dec 07, 2011
The last I heard of it was the ultimatum itself lol!
My expectations are quite high but so far little has been done but I have not written him off sha
I am buoyed by the facts that he's been Making the right statements,meetings and alliances/network.
Ileke-IdI:

Abi. Are you uptodate with the Dec ultimatum that Fayemi gave to them?

I havent heard anything about it since then. It's pissing me off.
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Nobody: 6:33am On Dec 07, 2011
Ibi ti emi a ti e ti different ni yen.
I'm not a patient woman. I want my roads done before i go home again.

PS: Have you ever used the Akure airport? I desperately dont want to go through lagos again.
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Ufeolorun(m): 10:05am On Dec 07, 2011
^
Nope.
Flying within Naija is one thing I would think twice on,scary man! lol
All those flying caskets like someone rightly called the planes. No falling out of the sky stories in the news lately sha.

I feel he needs to open up the whole place.An Aregbsola kind of Bold plans but Fayemi is 'poshing' thru things ni.

We can make a lot of money from agric and also latching unto the education perception,build top notch (yes top) private secondary boarding school or encourage (grant) private guys to.We can make loads from education.
Still very much hopeful sha cos I personally don't want to get stuck in lagos only,no flipping way!
I love country life.
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Gbawe: 10:44am On Dec 07, 2011
Ufeolorun:

^
Nope.
All those flying caskets like someone rightly called the planes. No falling out of the sky stories in the news lately sha.

I feel he needs to open up the whole place.An Aregbsola kind of Bold plans but Fayemi is 'poshing' thru things ni.

We can make a lot of money from agric [/b]and also latching unto the education perception,build top notch (yes top) private secondary boarding school or encourage (grant) private guys to.We can make loads from education.
Still very much hopeful sha cos I personally don't want to get stuck in lagos only,no flipping way!
I love country life.

Indeed. The key is to aggressively diversify economic activities of State by , first and foremost, seeking areas of comparative advantage to develop urgently and commercially . Not a fan of OBJ but he gets it right below.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5749058-146/obasanjo_makes_case_for_alternative_sources.csp

[b]Obasanjo makes case for alternative sources of revenue

December 6, 2011 12:22PM

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has urged government at all levels in the country to explore alternative sources of revenue rather than depend solely on oil proceeds.

He said at a workshop organised by the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC) in Abeokuta on Monday that there were more avenues to generate more funds rather than resources from oil.

``We have been sharing resources from one commodity, which is oil. The only thing left is for us to be drinking oil, but we have it intoxicating us.

``We have been using oil as a means of uniting the country, developing and ensuring peace as well as the stability of the country.''

Obasanjo identified agriculture, manufacturing/industrialisation, solid minerals and tourism as alternative areas of generating revenue.

He underscores the importance of exploring the four areas of generating revenue at both state and federal levels.

Obasanjo said Nigeria's population was large enough to satisfy the basic needs of the country if the four areas could be focused on and efectively explored.

``The commitment and passion for what people do matters in whatever success they want to achieve.

``No other means alone can give us food except agriculture, and without food, there is no life. The population is increasing on daily basis and we cannot do without food.

``We must first of all satisfy our need for food security and take it as a serious business in revenue generation and allocation.''

He also advised key players in the economy to take unemployment as a serious challenge that must be tackled head-on.

``People now talk of 'Arab Spring' which was due to high level of unemployment.''

Mr Elias Mbam, the RMAFC Chairman, had earlier said the workshop was to enlighten stakeholders on alternative means of generating revenue.

He said the topic of the workshop, ``Economic Diversification and Enhanced Revenue Generation,'' was specifically chosen because of over-reliance of government at all levels on oil.

Mbam said the commission was determined to sensitise the three tiers of government to shift focus from oil to other avenues of generating wealth.

The Director-General, Nigerian Tourism Development Corporation (NTDC), Otunba Olusegun Runsewe, said the workshop was timely and also of utmost importance.

He said the workshop was coming at a time the Federal Government was vigorously pursuing programmes that were aimed at transforming the nation's economy.

Runsewe said the nation would generate more resources from tourism if the sector was well integrated into the national economy.

He reiterated NTDC's determination to use cultural festivals as veritable means of generating funds and development.
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Ufeolorun(m): 11:46am On Dec 07, 2011
^
This is disgraceful coming from baba who had it all and blew it,very annoying.

The cocoa belt (real people)  are probably the hardest hit by the silly rent seeking system. the Northerners still kept their agric. going and they are earning well for it,they always fight for the ministry of agriculture position.
We got a Sw there now which should make the place more accessible for someone like Fayemi but apart from serving cassava bread to Jonathan I  have not  seen anything from the minister
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by anafest: 3:10pm On Dec 07, 2011
great development
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Akanbiedu(m): 10:08am On Dec 08, 2011
Ufeolorun:

@Topic,

This is one thing that pisses me off, really. I have seen a lot vehicle, even trailers, pass Ekiti state roads while trying to avoid dilapilated federal roads. A vehicle travelling from Kano to Lagos should ordinarily make use of federal roads as they are usually shorter but because of the bad state of some of those roads, resorts to using state roads. This is a big disadvantage to the state as the state derives no economic value from the transaction between Lagos and Kano in this case. Meanwhile the road degrades faster with more use. The most logical thing to do therefore is to toll those roads.

The state residents however must be given consideration for a free passage or they be made to pay smaller amount of money depending on the sociopolitical situation of the state at that time.

Ufeolorun:

^
Nope.

We can make a lot of money from agric and also latching unto the education perception,build top notch (yes top) private secondary boarding school or encourage (grant) private guys to.We can make loads from education.
I love country life.

Not particularly impressed with Fayemi in this regard. Education is the pride of Ekiti people, Fayemi should be talking about creating an economy around this perception. There are over 150million people in Nigeria and every year about a million seek admission into universities. That's a big market for the state.
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Gbawe: 11:15am On Dec 08, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Not particularly impressed with Fayemi in this regard. Education is the pride of Ekiti people, Fayemi should be talking about creating an economy around this perception. There are over 150million people in Nigeria and every year about a million seek admission into universities. That's a big market for the state.

Maybe so but deriving income from education , in the first year of his governance, cannot be catapulted above other areas of comparative advantage. If asked, everyone would have their own opinion of what leaders should pursue aggressively but Governors still have to prioritise. Education , because it is about intangibles and the personal development of man, should pragmatically be placed , for example, behind agriculture as a way of deriving income.

As per education, Ekiti should simply attempt to overhaul it totally so that its people benefit from it first and maintain their position as a highly literate and intelligent people . Many other sectors can produce income for Ekiti. They deserve to be looked at first before a sector that should , for a Government, not really be about profit.
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Akanbiedu(m): 11:51am On Dec 08, 2011
Gbawe:

Maybe so but deriving income from education , in the first year of his governance, cannot be catapulted above other areas of comparative advantage. If asked, everyone would have their own opinion of what leaders should pursue aggressively but Governors still have to prioritise. Education , because it is about intangibles and the personal development of man, should pragmatically be placed , for example, behind agriculture as a way of deriving income.

As per education, Ekiti should simply attempt to overhaul it totally so that its people benefit from it first and maintain their position as a highly literate and intelligent people . Many other sectors can produce income for Ekiti. They deserve to be looked at first before a sector that should ,[b] for a Government, not really be about profit. [/b]

We have different ways of viewing this then. I don't believe it is enough to get educated just to be "highly literate and intelligent".

And in the case of Ekiti, I am actually talking about seeing it as a business with a ready market. Let me give an insight into what I expect from the govt.

The govt can keep the current state public university as it is. keep it cheap and efficient to educate based on priority Ekiti indigenes and residents (who have spent an appreciable amount of time in the state).

The govt can create a sort of private/public university/ies with Ekiti govt as a shareholder. Private investors should be in control of this university/universities. This university should be run like every other business with profit in mind. This kind of university should be set up to compete with best in Africa, at such the investment in infrastructure and other essentials should not be compromised. Of course, this school will be expensive but if the quality is there, trust me there are Nigerians willing to pay huge amounts to get quality education. People pay millions in covenant, American university, Redeemers etc just to get a degree. When you even think about the number of candidates willing to get into a university, it becomes particularly attractive. My own thinking is that Ekiti should be able to find a way to make this sector into a commercial activity instead of social service.
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Akanbiedu(m): 11:52am On Dec 08, 2011
May be we shouldn't derail this thread.
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Ufeolorun(m): 1:33pm On Dec 08, 2011
Akanbi,
Yes those notorious routes need to be tolled and shops built somewhere around  to encourage people in transit to park and buy stuff.

Education,
I am not really talking about Uni. Education cos I think private unis in Nigeria are just parodies,seriously.
The amount of money spent on secondary school education is very likely to be higher compared to  uni,from my experience parents spend whole lot more on top notch secondary education. Setting up a PROPER  boarding secondary schools wouldn't cost much compared to setting up a mediocre University
We got teachers in abundance
Gbawe,

Aregbesola wants to revolutionise Agric in Osun and he's been very loud and 'rascally' about it. He (Fayemi) needs to stop being posh and make big announcements at least for us to  have a sense of where he's going really.

Fayemi is  well educated and exposed.
Am  proud  to have someone with good antecedents as governor and he's a true reflection of who we are but Work! work!! work!!!.
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by chino11(m): 2:14pm On Dec 08, 2011
Ndi Yoruba and illusions. Projects that will die on the pages of newspaper, na today. lol. Anyways what is my take with rural states. grin grin Sorry for trolling, just passing to go pissing.
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Gbawe: 2:44pm On Dec 08, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

We have different ways of viewing this then. I don't believe it is enough to get educated just to be "highly literate and intelligent".

And in the case of Ekiti, I am actually talking about seeing it as a business with a ready market. Let me give an insight into what I expect from the govt.

The govt can keep the current state public university as it is. keep it cheap and efficient to educate based on priority Ekiti indigenes and residents (who have spent an appreciable amount of time in the state).

The govt can create a sort of private/public university/ies with Ekiti govt as a shareholder. Private investors should be in control of this university/universities. This university should be run like every other business with profit in mind. This kind of university should be set up to compete with best in Africa, at such the investment in infrastructure and other essentials should not be compromised. Of course, this school will be expensive but if the quality is there, trust me there are Nigerians willing to pay huge amounts to get quality education. People pay millions in covenant, American university, Redeemers etc just to get a degree. When you even think about the number of candidates willing to get into a university, it becomes particularly attractive. My own thinking is that Ekiti should be able to find a way to make this sector into a commercial activity instead of social service.

Indeed we do. I am one of those who thinks overt capitalism is ultimately divisive and ruining the world. Yes resources are scarce but , ideally, man must find a way to ensure education is not one of the sectors cynical capitalism and profiteering takes a grip of. Government leaders are not and should never be businessmen. If money accrue to the Nation/State beneficially from thorough investment in high educational standards, then that is good.

To court the education sector as a profit making arm of Government is simply wrong in my opinion. It goes against socially responsible policies the likes of Awolowo are still famous for today. Government should focus primarily on providing quality education for indigenes. If they do a good job, this will bear its own incidental rewards. taking examples from many nations of the world, I don't think education is a sector Governments should develop for the sake of attracting income.
Re: Ekiti Govt To Spend N11b On 13 Roads . by Akanbiedu(m): 3:23pm On Dec 08, 2011
Gbawe:

Indeed we do. I am one of those who thinks overt capitalism is ultimately divisive and ruining the world. Yes resources are scarce but , ideally, man must find a way to ensure education is not one of the sectors cynical capitalism and profiteering takes a grip of. Government leaders are not and should never be businessmen. If money accrue to the Nation/State beneficially from thorough investment in high educational standards, then that is good.

To court the education sector as a profit making arm of Government is simply wrong in my opinion. It goes against socially responsible policies the likes of Awolowo are still famous for today. Government should focus primarily on providing quality education for indigenes. If they do a good job, this will bear its own incidental rewards. taking examples from many nations of the world, I don't think education is a sector Governments should develop for the sake of attracting income.

If you read my comment again, you will notice I said the state govt should retain status quo in its state university for the purpose of educating its people. The proposal is about tapping into the opportunities/possibilities of demand for quality education in Nigeria as whole. A market has been established in this case and there is nothing wrong in Ekiti benefitting from such.

Well, we differ on the bolded. It was reported that Nigerians spent $1 billion in getting university education from UK in two years. That sounds like developing education for the sake of attracting income to me. Its even obvious with the presence of agent of UK schools that the objective is not to educate only, rather to make income.

Now think about other indirect benefit of having many students come from all walks of life to Ekiti to acquire education. They are going to need accomodation, the are going to need communication systems (internet for example), they are going to need typist, books, food, clothes, transport and so many other things. These is capable of increasing the economic activity of the state. So I guess we basically are not seeing it the same way then.

(1) (Reply)

Attack Your Own Ethnic Looters Not Ebele / Briton Demands 1billion Naira Compensation From Nigerian Police / Why I Sacked Azazi, Defence Minister –jonathan !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.