Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,461 members, 7,954,810 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:54 AM

Media Is The Nigerian Problem - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Media Is The Nigerian Problem (2919 Views)

Mile 12 Clash: A Nigerian Problem Or An Hausa Vs Yoruba Problem / The Only Solution To Nigerian Problem / Is Democracy The Solution To Nigerian Problem? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Media Is The Nigerian Problem by adesanni(m): 3:12pm On Sep 28, 2007
Am one of those that believe that the majority of the problems in nigeria is caused by the nigerian media. I cant imagine how the media men would rally around somebody like Adedibu to seek his opinion on public issues. Going to somebody like that makes them think they are important in the country. I surprised when a welcome party was organised for Alamasihier in his state,what the hell was nigeria press doing there.they are just making these thieves important. Let us render these rogue useless and irrelevant in the society and see how it would solve some of our problems. Seeking opinion and recommendations from them makes them feel the are important. Obj was trapped in traffic in lagos the other time,and it was made a headline the next day. The nigerian press should have a rethink about what the talk about,there are many important and urgent issues that need to be discussed but the choose to ignore them
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by Mamajama(m): 3:24pm On Sep 28, 2007
I strongly agree with you they are causing friction in Nigeria, but none the less every country does need a media house

The issue of honesty and credibility is what Nigerian media houses are lacking. Most of their stories are fictitious with no relevant substance.

My question is why don't we have legislation in a country like Nigeria to penalize this media houses or Ban some of their over zealous journalist for wrong publications?

What will it take before we challenge this rough to be trustworth?
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 28, 2007
Yes, the media is causing more harm in the country.
Especially the print media. They manipulate info to cause chaos among citizens so as to sell their leaflets. I have decided to stop reading to some newspapers and listening to some radio stations because of this.
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by Mamajama(m): 3:34pm On Sep 28, 2007
Not until a multi million litigation is brought against this media houses to rectify their illicit and propaganda.

Nigeria will never change. yes they play a vital part in the development of the country and they owe it to the citizens of Nigeria to tell the truth
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by Kobojunkie: 3:45pm On Sep 28, 2007
OH , yeah, the same old BLAME THE MEDIA ROUTINE cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

KoboJunkie
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by Mamajama(m): 4:18pm On Sep 28, 2007
DO you want me to start listing all the fake stories they've printed in the past?
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by ono(m): 4:45pm On Sep 28, 2007
adesanni:

Am one of those that believe that the majority of the problems in nigeria is caused by the nigerian media. I can't imagine how the media men would rally around somebody like Adedibu to seek his opinion on public issues. Going to somebody like that makes them think they are important in the country. I surprised when a welcome party was organised for Alamasihier in his state,what the hell was nigeria press doing there.they are just making these thieves important. Let us render these rogue useless and irrelevant in the society and see how it would solve some of our problems. Seeking opinion and recommendations from them makes them feel the are important. Obj was trapped in traffic in lagos the other time,and it was made a headline the next day. The nigerian press should have a rethink about what the talk about,there are many important and urgent issues that need to be discussed but the choose to ignore them

Alamasihier. . . . . .

Hmn. . . .You have done great disservice to the name of the former governor-general of the Ijaw people.

The Egbesu Spirit will not forgive you for this. LOLOL
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by Kobojunkie: 4:45pm On Sep 28, 2007
Since when has all the media has ever reported or put out been 100% Factual with no bias ?? When you have human beings involved, there is bound to be some level of bias involved. The media is no different regardless of what they claim. I am not saying it is bad that it is that way but it is what it is. I mean we as individuals are that way.

Egbesu cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

ROMBL

KoboJunkie
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by Mustay(m): 5:25am On Sep 30, 2007
When i was 'small' wink, I used to think like the poster too. I used to wonder why the media used to interview these bloody military men, evil men of this world. . . but later u get to realise that there's something called PROFFESIONALISM.

They've to bring all sides of the story to us. They've to be fair to e'one; whether u like the interviewee or not

I cant imagine what 9ja would ';ve turned to without em. Yes, some of them cause otiose problems but we 've 2 commend em in a country where the FOI bill hasn't be passed.

without em, who would 've known Nkojo Iweala and co were 'owing' the nation money?

without em, who would 've known Obj neva used to read 9ja papers (that shows the kinda leader he was)

without em, who would 've known ABacha and OBJ wanted 2 be life presidos et cetera

without em, who would 've known about OKIJA?

without em, who would 've known CLIFFORD ORJI

. . , .
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by chidichris(m): 10:32am On Sep 30, 2007
mamajama and obj do not read nigerian newspapers - bravo.
i wanted not to contribute here but for the contribution of mustay, i am doing so.
professionalism is the name of the game. the two sides of the stories are surposed to be on ground and it is always the duty of the reader to seperate paul from banabas. biblically, it is wise that you do not forget your mind while u recieve advise.
i would want to inform you here that nigerian press has a place in the world or journalism and i respect them for the sacrifices they have been doing in the polity of nigeria even in the days of the military, even when most of them receive death threats and letter bombs, they stood their grounds even when the are been humiliated they never siezed to inform us on the day to day gists.
if they don't interview adedibu, how am i going to know that in a country that corruption is that greatest enemy of the gov, such beasts do exist? how will oyo people know that the president had approved his actions and had given go ahead order to him while urging the people to manage and tolorate him because he is too old to be reformed.
the press serve both sides of the coins and by so doing, secrets and revealed and third term was no secret as the participants had to be very careful or press will expose them.
look at nigeria's advert on cnn which was cut short because cnn reported other sides of nigeria in the oil rich niger delta. the press made people to think otherwise about america when new orlands was shown on the cnn.
a country with press will sink 10 million times iran and zimbabwe can serves as cases in hand.
nigerian press is and will remain the best thing that happen to nigeria.
no matter their shorcomings, we need them more than they know.
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by adesanni(m): 1:20pm On Sep 30, 2007
I think some people dont understand what i wrote. Am not saying that the nigerian media are that bad,what am saying was that there are some people in the society that needs to be rendered irrelevant. There are some people that you and i know that attention need not be given to. There are confirmed rogues and thieves who have looted all our money yet you rally around them to seek opinion on public issues. Adedibu was asked about the mass sack in his state,he sees noting wrong with it. Who is he,what does he know about labor laws. Alamashier was also question by the media about given suggestion on how to solve niger delta problem. Who the hell is,was he not governor of the state for many years,what happen? Noting happened other than looting over 15 billion of oil and yet you seek opinion from him. The media should please give us something good than listening to some crooks
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 30, 2007
they have caused more harm than good. You see people arguing on baseless issues being fed them by The media.
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by Nushi77: 10:08pm On Sep 30, 2007
The media men are liars and just love asking much useless questions to people. Why asking questions to put confusion in the system. Why can't you put more efforts to investigate ELECTRICITYY and WATER problems in Nigeria. Rumour mongers and liars.
CFAJUNKIE.
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by WarfyBoy(m): 8:40am On Oct 01, 2007
how media men take b liars now shooooooo, we kno say dem dey make mistakes sometimes, but no b dem b d govt of this nation nar, i tire for una ohhh, na media dey rule/govern nigeria, wetin concern media concer d props of nigeria, no b wetin dem hear/see dem go write/talk, if no b dem self who for kno wetin dey happen for NA n House of rep, all those pipo for don sell us take build their own different countries

1ce again, if una kno c topic post, abeg make una dey bring d old ones we go still continue the discussion, rather dan bring annoying and worthless topic like this
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by oybv101: 1:10pm On Oct 02, 2007
there are good/bad doctors, lawyers, engineers, teachers, professionals.
it is absurd to blame the media for the nigerian problem

one might as well blame engineers (collapsing buidings)
doctors( high patient mortality)
Lawyers( Governemnt refusing to follow the rule of law)
teachers(half baked graduates)

this sort of unhealthy, unreasoned criticism will only demoralize those journalists who are trying to do the right thing.
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by gbeboy(m): 4:06am On Oct 03, 2007
i really dont understand why people are really talking like this, dont you realise that the media is the watchdog of society, believe me without the media, we can all be sold into slavery without our knowing it. afterall, it is our leaders(supposedly elected) who are running us dry. how else can you explain the role of the media in the 628 million naira renovation saga currently plaguing the house of reps, along with some other issues of a former president who doesnt read nigerian papers(how else did he govern for 8 years without really keeping abreast of happenings within his domain).

let the truth be told that the media as the fourth estate of the realm(after the executive, legislature and judiaciary? is the next most important thing that has happened to nigeria.

i don talk my own oooo.
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by denex: 12:27pm On Oct 03, 2007
The media is not "the" problem of Nigeria, but it makes a major chunk of it.

Most of them did not go to school of journalism but the school of stories.

When you listen to CNN, you hear "3 people died of extreme temperatures the US state of Arizona" and at time you would hear "3 Nigerians were killed in by floods in Lagos state".

Nigerian journalists do not know that there is a big difference between those two statements. They will carry them verbatim and broadcast to the Nigerian public.

But nothing annoys me more than the NTA that tries to make everything seem lofty when people are seeing obviously that they are not. I am looking at a death body on Oshodi expressway, yet NTA will tell me it does not exist.

Even that stupid and ever subservient Tony Iredia made it clear that the NTA is the mouthpiece of the Government to the masses ie we can only hear what the Government wants us to hear on NTA.

If not for news stations like Channels television, I would have committed suicide a long time ago.

I'm actually writing a paper on the problem of poor media in developing democracies. It's still on paper, but when I prepare the final soft copy, I'll post it here.
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by bibiking1(m): 12:44am On Oct 06, 2007
@ ALL
The print media is same everywhere else in the world, ours differ less and as such we should not be bothered. Rather its the state owned media outlets that ought to get the whiplash in stead. We have a situation where that "communist station" NTA tells us all blatantly obvious lies just to please the government that be! whoever has read George Orwell's "nineteen eighty-four" will easily understand how this trend works.
Murray Bruce came with a revolution and dared to reform the NTA, but they quickly made away with him like a fly perched on some hungry man's food.
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by Mustay(m): 11:31pm On Oct 10, 2007
adesanni:

I think some people don't understand what i wrote. Am not saying that the nigerian media are that bad,what am saying was that there are some people in the society that needs to be rendered irrelevant. There are some people that you and i know that attention need not be given to. There are confirmed rogues and thieves who have looted all our money yet you rally around them to seek opinion on public issues. Adedibu was asked about the mass sack in his blabla bla

The thing is that if these guys are not mentioned, they'll continue wreak havoc in the society.
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by Kobojunkie: 12:29am On Oct 11, 2007
Instead of viewing the media as the problem, I believe the people should force them to do the right thing. Support media outlets that print the truth and dig to the deep when it comes to issues. I mean if people in Nigeria did this,at least we get more truth out of the rest of the media when they learn that in order to compete they need to start giving the people the truth and not wasting time on who obasanjo's daughter is marrying or what color the gown is. That is all ridiculous news and they keep giving it cause they somehow believe it is their place to force the people with what they believe they should want.
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by kunleajulo: 5:42pm On Jul 30, 2013
On Point. Corruption is becoming a major issue in the profession and the NUJ needs to do more to save the media.
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by Nobody: 7:48am On Jul 31, 2013
In a country where anybody could pay police to arrest an innocent person?

It shouldnt surprise that the media can be paid to write lies.

most of our major news media a continuously presenting lies as they are on the pay roll of the corrupt political elite.
Re: Media Is The Nigerian Problem by thoth: 9:59am On Jul 31, 2013
When Buhari arrested them for spreading lies they all screamed about some rights rubbish. i believe what they mean is the right to lie defame innocent people,create tension, and deepen the sense of insecurity and distrust among Nigerians.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Should Akpoyibo Resign For His Involvement In Cultism? / North Trades IGP Seat For Customs Top Job / Obasanjo Must Visit The Families Of All Those Killed By Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.