Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,403 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

Ikeja City Mall At Alausa - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ikeja City Mall At Alausa (37388 Views)

Accra Gets First ‘chop Bar’ Mall At Achimota / Heritage Mall At Dugbe Ibadan,oyo State Burn Beyond Recognition / Help! What's Rent Like For a Retail Space at SilverBird, The Palms And City Mall? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by otokx(m): 5:40pm On Dec 14, 2011
when i said it was small; these are some of the pictures that came to my mind. Just take a look at the mall in cassablanca, Morrocco.

Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by Gentleboby: 10:12pm On Dec 14, 2011
Bros these are too much u know dem don carry our money run go there and the people there are using our money for all dis thing.
Make we thank God for dis little we see is better than none,
I tired joo.
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by billante(m): 10:25pm On Dec 14, 2011
otokx:

when i said it was small; these are some of the pictures that came to my mind. Just take a look at the mall in cassablanca, Morrocco.

you go bring computer auto card graphics wey dey never build come dey show us for here, if you want fantastic gigantic auto card protype projects nigeria can surpass Morocco own! you know how many times they don build world tallest for auto card in nigeria grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by aribisala0(m): 4:15am On Dec 15, 2011
after some people will tell us they are the best business men in naija.
only their ethnic group can do business
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by Felixv: 4:47am On Dec 15, 2011
so while the rest of the whole is building factories,creating new technologies , etc, aka china, naija is busy building malls, lol

interesting!!!!
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by Felixv: 4:49am On Dec 15, 2011
so while the rest of the world is building factories,creating new technologies, ie. china , naija is building malls,

amazing,

i guess we have different priorities,
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by aribisala0(m): 5:32am On Dec 15, 2011
that is one way of looking at it.
nothing wrong in building malls. a mall is just a marketplace really.
a modern shopping mall is a contemporary marker of globalisation and is present in virtually every city in the world with the kind of population that Lagos has
It is actually owned by a FOREIGN  private investor(s) so there is really no need to sneer
i know  there are many malls in china. i also know there is more poverty in China than in Nigeria
anyway everyone can't build factories.
people should focus on areas where they have comparative advantage
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by Felixv: 6:48am On Dec 15, 2011
'i know there are many malls in china. i also know there is more poverty in China than in Nigeria
anyway everyone can't build factories. '

these are the kind of statements that really bother me, I am actually in Shanghai at the moment, and believe you me, it would take naija a million years to get to the level of this city.sure maybe there is a level of poverty,but there is an extremely high level of affluence and the citizens here have jobs,westerners come here looking for work,the security here is unreal for a city of over 30M.Crime is extemely rare.5 star hotels cost only about 200 dollars a night, and these are hotels that do not exist in our centre of excellence,

now to the matter at hand.
a foreigner comes to naija and opens a mall, ummm, why cant that same foreigner come to naija and build a factory.you see the irony of the situation is that you are being bled of the little money you have.

no nation develops without being productive.

J

2 Likes

Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by poweredcom(m): 8:58am On Dec 15, 2011
so while the rest of the whole is building factories,creating new technologies , etc, aka china, naija is busy building malls, lol

interesting!!!!

Truth i pity our society where nothing works, no electricity , how can investors take us serious to come and establish factory, wel they can come and build malls around lasgidi , why we ther dancing woow we are opening eyes, Mugus nigerians, just because a mall with a cinemas and luxury atmosphere.to hang out with friends, we dont wanna think again, damm Nigeria
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by dastudent(m): 9:08am On Dec 15, 2011
Fashola banned the public wearing of Bathroom slippers sometime ago so all this arguments don't make sense.

Most the Oyinbos i see i Nigeria going to the mall wear shorts and Flip Flops, so i don't see why i shouldn't wear it.
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by blacklion(m): 10:14am On Dec 15, 2011
aribisala0:

after some people will tell us they are the best business men in naija.
only their ethnic group can do business

So that's the real source of all your aggro and gra-gra over Nollywood grin shocked
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by baslone: 11:04am On Dec 15, 2011
You can never satisfy people sha!!!

poweredcom:

Truth i pity our society where nothing works, no electricity , how can investors take us serious to come and establish factory, wel they can come and build malls around lasgidi , why we ther dancing woow we are opening eyes, Mugus nigerians, just because a mall with a cinemas and luxury atmosphere.to hang out with friends, we dont wanna think again, damm Nigeria

So what exactly is wrong with building this market?
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by jason123: 11:10am On Dec 15, 2011
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by dagboss(m): 12:47pm On Dec 15, 2011
According to my man Osuofia in the popular MTN new advert., he told his kid sister who requested for a BB fone that she had to start with an AA before BB. Many of us here in NL have visited many gigantic shopping malls in Europe and South East Asia. So let this size be for now i know another consortium that will build another one will make it bigger, lets start somewhere first
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by aribisala0(m): 1:50pm On Dec 15, 2011
Felixv:

'i know  there are many malls in china. i also know there is more poverty in China than in Nigeria
anyway everyone can't build factories. '

these are the kind of statements that really bother me, I am actually in Shanghai at the moment, and believe you me, it would take naija a million years to get to the level of this city.sure maybe there is a level of poverty,but there is an extremely high level of affluence and the citizens here have jobs,westerners come here looking for work,the security here is unreal for a city of over 30M.Crime is extemely rare.5 star hotels cost only about 200 dollars a night, and these are hotels that do not exist in our centre of excellence,

now to the matter at hand.
a foreigner comes to naija and opens a mall, ummm, why cant that same foreigner come to naija and build a factory.you see the irony of the situation is that you are being bled of the little money you have.

no nation develops without being productive.

J

If any kind of statement bothers you insulate yourself from them. IF YOU ASSOCIATE WITH PEOPLE WHO THINK LIKE YOU THAT SHOULD BRING GREAT ENLIGHTENMENT
Shanghai is NOT all there is to China. It is a snapshot not a film on China. Again I repeat there are more people living in third world conditions in China than there are people living in Nigeria.Remember we are talking of a country with more people than there are in THE WHOLE OF AFRICA
No it will NOT take us a million years, it will NOT take a hundred years even for us to develop and Nigeria does NOT have to go down the route of China.
China was very much a poor country 30 years ago and so I don't see why we cannot grow too. They were a communist nation and decided to change course and it  paid off. We have seen the rewards for them and also in places like Brazil too.
Much of China's growth has been down to foreign investment too so I see nothing wrong with foreigners investing in malls.
Rather than saying we will never reach so and so in a million years consider what you have done to improve Nigeria or is it Chinese that will improve it. Yes we need to up our game with regards to productivity and I believe we will. The way the world is shaping up Nigeria will need greater economic integration and trade with our neighbours and other African Nations. If they do not develop it will be hard for us but nothing is impossible for the human spirit once it says I WILL.
Foreigners do come to Nigeria to build factories maybe not enough but with respect, there are modern economies that do not rely so much on factories as they do on services. The United Kingdom and to a lesser degree the US are good examples. So I suggest that it shows  a blinkered view of modern economics to believe if we do NOT have factories we cannot develop. Technologies change so rapidly now that a multi-million dollar factory can be rendered obsolete in months with the emergence of a new  disruptive technology. But traders tend to think in terms of physical things they can buy and sell. The software industry will dominate the future and you don't need factories for that. What you need is education and training. Afterall much of what they make in China is designed elsewhere.
Let us not make a mountain out of a molehill we are talking about the opening of a MARKET that's all. It just happens that this is a market for the richer segment of Nigeria. But an investment of under $100m is no reason for us to indulge in self loathing

1 Like

Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by aribisala0(m): 2:16pm On Dec 15, 2011
blacklion:

So that's the real source of all your aggro and gra-gra over Nollywood grin shocked

To be honest I am not sure about the source of your Baba's aggro why not ask him directly? I hear he has regained speech
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by java002: 4:12pm On Dec 15, 2011
Can't wait to pay a visit
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by anonimi: 5:00pm On Dec 15, 2011
where exactly is the Mall located in Alausa?
Street/junction/major landmarks please.
Thanks.
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by mbulela: 5:34pm On Dec 15, 2011
Aall of una weydey complain about slippers,no go anywhere near Down Under o!
those guys wear bathroom slippers 24/7 during summer. even to church.
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by samyng(m): 5:41pm On Dec 15, 2011
[size=13pt]wow cool nice one we don't need to travel before going to Shoprite or Cinemas [/size]
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by james1(m): 7:34am On Dec 16, 2011
Hello NLers.
The mall at alausa ia a good development;it will save shoppers who ordinarily come to lekki to shop plenty of time for other things.
@dayakanu,the palms is at lekki,not lagos island.
As for the guy shouting his heading off about slippers,you want ask yourself,who called it bathroom slippers?let me help you,some Nigerians got around to that.
I had,I did not read,that gov fashola said the police should arrest people wearing(bathroom)slippers on the streets,that is pure madness,people should wear what they feel comfortable in,inasmuch as they are not butt naked.the police so far has not made any such arrest.
Some state governments come up with oppressive laws and if a know not the law,the relax,if the know,they fight back,making state or federal government understand that"sovereignty belong to the people".
I have once been talked to rudely by a bouncer inside a club;the reason for the wahala,I was wear a leather slippers,I simply pointed out as many white dudes,some near me,some passing by wearing rubber slippers of all manners and design,many on shorts!he hadn't gone near them and never will,cos he is simply scared of them.in his thoughts,they have money(we nigerians or people of african origin are the only people that go to the pubs or clubs and spend money like some one will die if we don't)I asked why is he not asking them,about their rubber slippers and shorts,the brain washed,lowlife and obviously failed being said cheerfully(and he thought he was giving me fresh information)this club is for white people.honestly,I can excuse some nigerians stupidity regarding certain things they know nothing about but are they cursed not to learn something new,that will save them a lot?I proceeded to ask him how long he has been with the club,he answered,less than 3 years;I then told him I have coming to the club a little over ten years,wondering if he was not in high school as at then,his managers name,the club owners name and pointed him out telling him am reporting him straight up,his ego bruised and knowing I can't be bullied by his bouncer image and he will be sacked right there,he started begging,calling others to come help him beg.among the bouncers and waiters he called were people who had been seeing me around many years,they scolded him like the fool he was and imagine how many of his countrymen he would have done that to?due to his inferior reasoning.shit like this happen everyday here.
@felixv,the 9ja/shanghai guy,am sure you are in china for business.have you stopped to reason that you can have that factory here that have you scrambling to china?am sure you have not pondered that fact so stop your criticising until you have done your part toward the industrialization of your country.you are probably one of the many igbo men that like the less challenging life and toga of importer/exporter.
Our nigerian moneybags are busy building mansions and buying cars that run into millions of dollars;rather than invest in manufacturing the much needed goods people scramble to china to buy every day.the FG has since directed among other things that oil rigs must be repaired and serviced here;they have so far failed to go into this multi billion dollar business,guess who are there and the only players so far?nigerdock and one china company based at port harcourt.
Nigeria will rise again.
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by Guardian(m): 8:55pm On Dec 16, 2011
hmmmmmmm. So much talk over just a little hall Nigerians call Mall
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by RuuDie(m): 7:23am On Dec 17, 2011
Guardian:

hmmmmmmm. So much talk over just a little hall Nigerians call Mall

Well. . . . .we can't talk about what we don't have, don't do or don't know about; can we!?
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by baslone: 3:40pm On Dec 17, 2011
RuuDie:

Well. . . . .we can't talk about what we don't have, don't do or don't know about; can we!?

SPOT ON!!!!
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by jajaopobo(m): 8:51am On Dec 18, 2011
I am just sick and tired of all these jack asses who sit in the US or China or wherever and just keep talking rubbish about any new development in Nigeria as if it is nothing. That guy who says he lives in Shanghai and that foreigners building a mall in Nigeria means they are reaping us off is ignorant. First of all, no nation on earth can develop without FDI (Foreign Direct Investment), secondly, what is the point of having factories without robust distribution network like malls and wholesalers who support malls, etc. In fact at the commissioning of the new mall, Fashola stated that approx 75% of the goods on display are manufactured locally - maybe not in factories, but at least, now local manufacturers have a structured outlet fr their goods.
Moreover, countries are shifting from production to services now with countries like US and Uk having little or no factory output (having re-located most to China & co.), so not having factories is not necessarily a death knell for an economy. Rather what is needed is small-scale operations and businesses the likes of which will make economies more robust and the likes of which can only be supported by malls such as these.
Finally, who cares if the new mall is a small hall compared to the mega-malls they have outside the country. Im sure if they build megamalls here it is the same nimcompoops like these that will complain that they are spending all the money to build malls that are too big. Instead of you abroad guys running off your mouth about developments here, why don't you come back home and try to contribute to the development of the country if you were so smart. I guess you left because you couldn't survive here in the first place.
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by larez(m): 11:27am On Dec 18, 2011
I just don't understand what the issue is about these negative people who criticize malls. Malls are more than shopping centers. They are also recreational facilities for young people. They are social meetup areas for them. As much as I hear about deals at Yaba or Mile2, I will never venture to shop in those places. It is infact traumatic when all types of hoodlums make you want to hit somebody. They pull on women and harass you to come to their shops.

Most people who have lived abroad understand the value and necessity of malls. They are a far cry from the shops out there in Lagos now. They are civilized and places to sometimes go relax your mind and window shop at. Anyone that cannot see this must be some village bred enemy of progress. As I am a Lagosian without a village (unless you want to call Isale Eko a village), I am happy to see malls coming up. Next we need to have more to create competition. Then we start phasing out the jungle markets. Then the mindset of people will improve.

I go to Shoprite, Surulere at least 2ce a week. Their kitchen is kept hygienic, and I can comfortably eat the variety of food prepared there. I will reduce my visits there, because they are now jacking up their prices at least 20% from what I used to pay for the same items. This is greed! I make a habit of comparing their prices to Kroger and other Grocery stores in the United States. I was comfortable with a markup of 15%-20% when compared. However, I will not pay the 40%-60% that I am seeing now. It is now cheaper to buy food from Tastee Chicken for example than to buy from the Shoprite kitchen, which removes the point of going to a grocery store in the first place.

The only thing that I can do now is to shop less at shoprite, until they realize that their business practices need to be consumer friendly. They had something that was working and have started spoiling it. If many more Nigerians will follow my steps, then we can force them to give us value for our money. More competition will force them anyhow.

Another important point that many have missed, is that Malls are the main employment places for Students who need to work part-time, as well as recent graduates. Malls have a large employment turnover because of this. They are usually transition jobs for students, and recent graduates. Many times, they are recruited by customers that they have provided great service to at the mall. In my case, I have already spotted a couple of young people at the Surulere mall, that I will gladly steal from their jobs when the opportunity arises. Let's all embrace progress!!
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by Princek12(m): 4:16am On Dec 19, 2011
I welcome the building of these malls and its impact on changing the way products, especially foodstuff, are being retailed. People shopping in malls rather than on the streets will reduce the transmission of food-borne diseases and the amount of foot traffic on our roads. Less foot traffic on our roads will facilitate the flow of traffic and reduce traffic congestion.
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by aribisala0(m): 5:01am On Dec 19, 2011
Princek12:

I welcome the building of these malls and its impact on changing the way products, especially foodstuff, are being retailed. People shopping in malls rather than on the streets will reduce the transmission of food-borne diseases and the amount of foot traffic on our roads. Less foot traffic on our roads will facilitate the flow of traffic and reduce traffic congestion.
where is the evidence for this
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by aribisala0(m): 5:04am On Dec 19, 2011
larez:

I just don't understand what the issue is about these negative people who criticize malls. Malls are more than shopping centers. They are also recreational facilities for young people. They are social meetup areas for them. As much as I hear about deals at Yaba or Mile2, I [/b]will never venture to shop in those places. It is infact traumatic when all types of hoodlums make you want to hit somebody. They pull on women and harass you to come to their shops.
[b]
Most people who have lived abroad understand the value and necessity of malls. [/b]They are a far cry from the shops out there in Lagos now. [b]They are civilized
and places to sometimes go relax your mind and window shop at. Anyone that cannot see this must be some village bred enemy of progress. [/b]As [b]I am a Lagosian without a village (unless you want to call Isale Eko a village), I am happy to see malls coming up. Next we need to have more to create competition. Then we start phasing out the jungle markets. Then the mindset of people will improve.

I go to Shoprite, Surulere at least 2ce a week. Their kitchen is kept hygienic, and I can comfortably eat the variety of food prepared there. I will reduce my visits there, because they are now jacking up their prices at least 20% from what I used to pay for the same items. This is greed! I make a habit of comparing their prices to Kroger and other Grocery stores in the United States. I was comfortable with a markup of 15%-20% when compared. However, I will not pay the 40%-60% that I [/b]am seeing now. It is now cheaper to buy food from Tastee Chicken for example than to buy from the Shoprite kitchen, which removes the point of going to a grocery store in the first place.

The only thing that [b]I
can do now is to shop less at shoprite, until they realize that their business practices need to be consumer friendly. They had something that was working and have started spoiling it. If many more Nigerians will follow my steps, then we can force them to give us value for our money. More competition will force them anyhow.

Another important point that many have missed, is that Malls are the main employment places for Students who need to work part-time, as well as recent graduates. Malls have a large employment turnover because of this. They are usually transition jobs for students, and recent graduates. Many times, they are recruited by customers that they have provided great service to at the mall. In my case, I have already spotted a couple of young people at the Surulere mall, that[b] I [/b]will gladly steal from their jobs when the opportunity arises. Let's all embrace progress!!
very biographical and interesting  view of the world.
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by Nobody: 9:48am On Dec 19, 2011
^
Lol.

Anyways. I finally checked the place out yesterday, and I must say it's a very commendable development. The parking space is massive; I can't help but wonder how/where they carved out the land. However, I was quite disappointed at Game's absence. Shoprite is not enough.

But then my worst fear was also confirmed: the traffic from Allen Avenue down to Alausa and back will be worse than a nightmare in the coming days.
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by mbulela: 10:40am On Dec 20, 2011
pro01:

^
Lol.

Anyways. I finally checked the place out yesterday, and I must say it's a very commendable development. The parking space is massive; I can't help but wonder how/where they carved out the land. However, I was quite disappointed at Game's absence. Shoprite is not enough.

But then my worst fear was also confirmed: the traffic from Allen Avenue down to Alausa and back will be worse than a nightmare in the coming days.
I am not sure GAME in Palms is doing well enough and i assume the new owners (Walmart) maybe planning a new strategy for further development.
Re: Ikeja City Mall At Alausa by HRHGambino(m): 3:09am On Dec 21, 2011
Be it a mall or a factory, I think what should be of utmost importance here is the amount of money that has been invested into our economy by these foreigners. The mall costs about a $100m or N16b and would employ about 900 people so I really don't understand why someone would say that building this mall isn't a welcome development. So many factories I know of didn't cost this much and certainly did not employ as much as 900 people when they started off. After seeing the place both during the construction and after making a visit there last week, I can say without a doubt that the Ikeja City Mall is the biggest mall in this country and probably West Africa as the owners say.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dilapidated Union Bank In Chibok Town / Traders At Mile 12 Relocate To Lagos/Ibadan Expressway / Error On New ₦100 Website Has Been Corrected (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.