Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,111 members, 7,845,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State (10062 Views)

Ballot Boxes Hijacked In Two Polling Units In Rumuolumeni Rivers State / Gov. Rotimi Amaechi Convoy Attacked At By Rumuolumeni Youths This Evening / NYSC members involved in Boat Mishap In Bonny, Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by ayodot(m): 4:51am On Dec 15, 2011
How many day to new year and people are still dying. May the souls rest in peace. And may God have mercy upon me and my family and all my friends
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by otondo55: 5:39am On Dec 15, 2011
May their souls Rest In Peace
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by Btruth: 6:23am On Dec 15, 2011
Oh Lord! This is too much for us in Nigeria now; please Lord, give each victims families a fortitude to bear this great loss. And for the rest of us in Nigeria, we need a lot of prayer for protection against more misfortune, For those travelling this period, please cover yourself with the blood of Jesus against all evil on the roads. Lord will see us through into the new year in Jesus name.
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by princedant: 6:47am On Dec 15, 2011
chuksme:

May their souls rest in peace.Sad story. How manage did they rescue two year old baby
, bros, its a miracle & all glory to God, u'll discover that children & infants are often survivors of most tragic events, He is a miraculuous God, don't forget his love for children,
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by olajide8(m): 7:07am On Dec 15, 2011
That's to show how much we value I was thinking these kid of rivers would have been turn into sports venues out side nigeria what exactly is governments problem in this country with so many establishments along these water ways can't they just look for hopw reduce the tidal rate or learn from a country called turkey that is divided into two the asian part and the european part by this same kind of river, or if that's to massive this is where they need regulation of all the operators of this form of transport though we know its the same carefree atitude on our roads
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by chukz4real(m): 7:34am On Dec 15, 2011
Ex Governor, Chief (Dr) Peter Odili awarded the trans Kalabari road stretching from Ogbakiri Junction (after Choba) as a bypass cutting off the East/West down to Iwofe - Eagle Cement Road - Mgbu Odahia with a supposed bridge crossing the Rumuolumeni River to Eagle Island. Only a portion of the project was completed - Eagle Cement to Pathfinder (Naval Barrack). Saipem Contracting (a sister coy to NAOC) managed to do some portion from the Pathfinder gate to their yard. It was alleged that Nigerian Agip Oil Company hindered the bridge construction till date reason been that the bridge will pose as hindrance to the smooth movement of their cargo ships. Whether this allegation is true or false is what I cannot verify. I have visited the bridge site once and the cranes and other equipments are intact,

Rumuolumeni to Mile 3 costs N150 by bus and N20 by boat, hence the heavy traffic on the waterway.

If not of the insensitivity of the government of Rivers State, why can't that project be revisited? Not saying Gov. Rotimi Amaechi is not trying but why concentrate only in Port Harcourt City L.G.A alone leaving the rest L.G.A as no go areas?

I rest my case,
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by phantom(m): 7:51am On Dec 15, 2011
Thats the price we pay for corruption, odili awarded a major project like that to his kalabari croonies who misappropriated funds for a project that ll benefit their own people, its a pity really.if that highway had been completed, by now there would be no difference between PH and kalabari kingdom.
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by member479760: 8:24am On Dec 15, 2011
RIP 40 times!
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by Nobody: 8:49am On Dec 15, 2011
Nigeria is the only country that never abide by health and safety rule.
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by omoeso(m): 8:53am On Dec 15, 2011
Just imagine how many people dey die for this 9ja everyday! Bombblast, road accidents, boat misharp, arm robbers, malaria and other preventable diseases. Its damn crazy men!
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by Kx: 8:54am On Dec 15, 2011
If the state can provide and operate a better coordinated bus transport system, why dont they do same for water transport knowing too well that the state is over 60% rivers?
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by Okijajuju1(m): 9:08am On Dec 15, 2011
R.I.P to the victims.

Another misharp due to negligence of what should be "Mandatory safety" precautions.

Like someone said, FRSC seems to have more importance than water safety. The saddest part is that they do indeed have a water safety regulatory agency that collects levies and fees from these operators and just look the other way. Why wasnt that boat equipped with Life vests for every passenger, a tracking beacon and a radio for distress calls.

This country needs to start placing value on the lives of its citizens.
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by juman(m): 9:20am On Dec 15, 2011
Unfortunate

omoeso:

Just imagine how many people dey die for this 9ja everyday! Bombblast, road accidents, boat misharp, arm robbers, malaria and other preventable diseases. Its damn crazy men!
^^^^
Craziness. The country is too big.
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by alex406(m): 9:20am On Dec 15, 2011
This is sad,May their gentle soul rest in peace.
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by kayswag100(m): 9:27am On Dec 15, 2011
cry
such a waste!!!
WTF? what happen to the life-saving gear called 'life jacket'?
waste,waste, waste,
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by jude33084(m): 9:38am On Dec 15, 2011
kayswag100:

cry
such a waste!!!
WTF? what happen to the life-saving gear called 'life jacket'?
waste,waste, waste,
May their souls rest in peace.
Wait a minute, River state people nor sabi swim? I didnt xpect that large casualties 4 real. Why r they called Rivers?
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by joe4christ(m): 10:00am On Dec 15, 2011
[size=75pt]Dem self, why would someone in his or her right senses be sailing by 9:30pm? Haba mana! [/size]
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by Baawaa(m): 10:04am On Dec 15, 2011
God have mercy
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by tonte23(m): 11:17am On Dec 15, 2011
Nairalanders! Our road is the worst in the state at the moment; accessing other parts of the city from here is difficult, so people have resorted to this means. I blame the situation on the poor state of roads which had forced people to use the Ngbuodohia water route. The state government is being insensitive to the plight of the people in terms of providing such critical infrastructure. This would not have happened if the roads were in good shape. The roads in portharcourt are one of the worse in the whole country. Do your research yourself and find out.
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by Remii(m): 6:39pm On Dec 15, 2011
joe4christ:

[size=75pt]Dem self, why would someone in his or her right senses be sailing by 9:30pm? Haba mana! [/size]

Please don't blame the dead, we all take some unreasonable risks everyday, depending on where you live and circumstances of your existence. People in riverine areas travel on water any time. They must have been doing this for years, even if the mishap happened in broad daylight, in absence necessary safety gears, ability to swim or some water survival training, people would still die.

In fact, I lost a close friend in this mishap so I feel the pain. He actually was rescued alive, even in the darkness, but died before getting to hospital. .
Re: 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State by mansmith(m): 3:28am On Dec 16, 2011
the people had t use the boat ferry because the road leading to that area are so bad and now they are dead

(1) (2) (Reply)

#revealed: Emmanuel Ibe Kachikwu First "Igbo" GMD Of NNPC - The FCT Post / Nigeria’s Hunger Level ‘Serious’, Ranks 103 Out Of 121 Countries / Renewed Hope: Tinubu’s March Scorecard - PBAT Media Centre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.