Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,760 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Obama Bans Daughters From Facebook - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Bans Daughters From Facebook (1364 Views)

Ghana Bans Public Officials From Travelling First Class / Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook / President Barack Obama's Daughters at the Inauguration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Bans Daughters From Facebook by wellmax(m): 11:30am On Dec 18, 2011
IN what appears to be an irony, the United States President Barack Obama who relied heavily on social media to win election in 2008, has admitted that he banned his daughters from using Facebook. Giving reason for his action, Obama said he did not want 'strangers knowing our business,' adding that it 'does not make much sense' to put the most private detailsof his family life on public view. His eldest daughter, Malia, is 13, and just old enough to use Facebook. Her younger sister Sasha is 10. 'But Mr. Obama said he won't consider allowing them to join the site until they are both four years older,' said a report in Britain's Daily Mail recently. 'His admission seemssomewhat ironic, given that he made full use of Facebook and other websites to encourage the young to vote for him in the presidential election - and to raise millionsof dollars for his campaign. Asa result, he became known asthe 'First Social Media President,' the paper added. Obama's Facebook page - which has 24 million 'likes' - remains a key part of his ongoing efforts to seek re-election. In an interview, the president described the thinking behind the Facebook ban as: 'Why would we want to have a whole bunch of people who we don't know knowing our business? That doesn't make much sense.' He added: 'We'll see how they (his daughters) feel in four years.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201112180009.html
Re: Obama Bans Daughters From Facebook by obowunmi(m): 11:56am On Dec 18, 2011
Who bloody cares ?
Re: Obama Bans Daughters From Facebook by aspabay(m): 12:42pm On Dec 18, 2011
As a parent, I think it is a good move. 13 is too young, she might unknowingly be exposing the family to risks. I wished all parents can enforce this control of what their children do on the net.
Re: Obama Bans Daughters From Facebook by Lasinoh: 1:18pm On Dec 18, 2011
Kudos!
I will not allow mine to go to such a place to meet psychos!
Good move. Minors should not be allowed to go to such a site. . . Very distracting and unfavorable for proper brain development.
All about competition and idle gossip from cyber riff-raffs. . . ALL LIARS by the way.
The most unproductive social medium ever created for mankind.
Nothing but the most annoying retaaaards abound! The UGLIEST, most jobless, most meddlesome gossips you would find on the globe. . .you find there.
Only people looking to fill a social void in their lives go to such a place. The cheapest hookers too! Male or female. . . you garrit there! cheesy
Most importantly. . . EXTREMELY BORING. . . dry jist! My peh-nis is bigger than yours. . . and my toto is tighter than yours! cry
God forbid.

If I have not contacted you at this stage of my life. . . you are most definitely irrelevant! kiss
Re: Obama Bans Daughters From Facebook by otokx(m): 1:27pm On Dec 18, 2011
He is in order.
Re: Obama Bans Daughters From Facebook by Yeske2(m): 3:47pm On Dec 18, 2011
Whatever
Re: Obama Bans Daughters From Facebook by ochukoccna: 6:24am On Dec 19, 2011
How this news give 9ja man help?
Re: Obama Bans Daughters From Facebook by justwise(m): 3:00pm On Dec 19, 2011
wellmax:

IN what appears to be an irony, the United States President Barack Obama who relied heavily on social media to win election in 2008, has admitted that he banned his daughters from using Facebook. Giving reason for his action, Obama said he did not want 'strangers knowing our business,' adding that it 'does not make much sense' to put the most private detailsof his family life on public view. His eldest daughter, Malia, is 13, and just old enough to use Facebook. Her younger sister Sasha is 10. 'But Mr. Obama said he won't consider allowing them to join the site until they are both four years older,' said a report in Britain's Daily Mail recently. 'His admission seemssomewhat ironic, given that he made full use of Facebook and other websites to encourage the young to vote for him in the presidential election - and to raise millionsof dollars for his campaign. Asa result, he became known asthe 'First Social Media President,' the paper added. Obama's Facebook page - which has 24 million 'likes' - remains a key part of his ongoing efforts to seek re-election. In an interview, the president described the thinking behind the Facebook ban as: 'Why would we want to have a whole bunch of people who we don't know knowing our business? That doesn't make much sense.' He added: 'We'll see how they (his daughters) feel in four years.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201112180009.html

Obama is absolutely right, considering his position it will be madness to allow such young kids on social network site like Facebook, it will be a dangerous move security wise.
Re: Obama Bans Daughters From Facebook by armyofone(m): 5:55pm On Dec 19, 2011
right thing to do. what is 13 years old doing on sites like facebook and the rest?

going online to do research for her class work is enough.
the girls are better off reading and helping in the kitchen or playing with toys.
they are too young for facebook no matter how tall they are. 18years, okay not now.

good decision.

b.tw OP, no 13 years voted for him so your point is not sticking undecided

(1) (Reply)

Brainless Conservatives . . . I Laugh In Swahili / SAD! Children Go Into Prostitution, Sleep In Graves To Survive In Liberia / Two North Korea Teens, 16 And 17, Executed For Watching K-drama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.