Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,443 members, 7,816,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? (5185 Views)

f / Supreme Court Accepted Bribe From Yar'adua Campaign? (Wikileaks) / Nigeria Accepted US Army Barrack In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by PHIPEX(m): 11:27am On Dec 19, 2011
Beaf:

There is no difference. If we stand up to the bribe extorters, no matter the pain (except life and limb are at risk), they weill no longer be able to demand routine bribes.
What we really have is an ecosystem of bribery and corruption; from the police check points to the passport office; from lecturers to invigilators. It is everywhere and our society is rightly labelled corrupt; I have long since learnt that what is normal and routine in Nigeria is absolutely shocking in almost every other country (including neighbouring Benin Republic).

U said it all, the problem persists cos we are either too afraid to challenge the statusquo or too much in a hurry to get to our destinations.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Nobody: 11:31am On Dec 19, 2011
Beaf:

There is no difference. If we stand up to the bribe extorters, no matter the pain (except life and limb are at risk), they weill no longer be able to demand routine bribes.
What we really have is an ecosystem of bribery and corruption; from the police check points to the passport office; from lecturers to invigilators. It is everywhere and our society is rightly labelled corrupt; I have long since learnt that what is normal and routine in Nigeria is absolutely shocking in almost every other country (including neighbouring Benin Republic).
those poor drivers that failed to pay their tax to the police always end up dead.I dont think Nigeria is a country where you'd have challenge a bribe taker to claim any right.Visit a police station and see what i'm talking about.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Rhino5dm: 11:43am On Dec 19, 2011
I lived, eat and breath bribes/corruption while growing up from the ghetto. Infact, it was a fashion to us to commit crimes.

As teenager, i became thick and very aggressively immune to corruption/bribery, sorting or whatever. That was one of the prime force that push me to join the military.

I remember a custom officer threatening to stop me from flying, saying i must pay money for my passport to be dis-virgin at MMA. Can you believe that?

It takes alot of deep courage and audacity for any one living in Nigeria to avoid bribes or corruption. The system is very weak and nourish on corruption.

How can you escape bribes and be able to devolop any of your property in Nigeria?

Portharcourt is the worst of ALL. . .Marching ground, entering bush, Community boys, LGA, Cheifs,youths and touts will constantly harrass your project if you dont sort them. So, bribery can be forced on you.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by executinal(m): 11:51am On Dec 19, 2011
Given out bribe? steady, no bribe no contract Nigeria system. but taking bribe not at all
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Afam4eva(m): 12:00pm On Dec 19, 2011
Can one survive this country without giving bribes? It's the status quo and every one has to abide by it, unfortunately. It's when you're stopped by a police man for carrying a laptop(as if laptop is a crime), that's when you'll know that you have no rights in this hell hole we call a country. The moment you start arguing with them, they can shoot you and label you an armed robber that was trying to escape. So, giving bribes can save lives.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by jmaine: 12:35pm On Dec 19, 2011
Giving bribe or settlement . . Yes i have , even back in the boarding school days when we had to settle some brutal senior students or else you get bullied and picked upon unnecessary . . Even ironical . . we still got  maltreated even after the settlement . .

Our only difference with those who did not settle was that, those students are constantly on deathrow . . . if them catch you . . na die you dey . .

NB: I have never given bribes to excel in academics . .

Taking bribes . . .No, I have never taken bribes . .and i hope to keep it like that . .

Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Godmann(m): 1:13pm On Dec 19, 2011
As an undergraduate, I learned to give bribes, but never for academic stuff. I recognized it as a weak point that can take me to hell, together with fornication. I promised God to stop both.

Bribe I have since stopped for even before I left University (over 12 years ago), but fornication, I have not been able to.

I tried but one thing led to the other that I have not been able to.

may be after marring I can.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Oluschenco(m): 1:17pm On Dec 19, 2011
I gave a police officer recently becos i drove a car without a drivers license despite my pleadings that i am rushing for lecture.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Pennywise(m): 1:24pm On Dec 19, 2011
If you want to have a liveable life in Nigeria, then you have to accept bribery as a norm.

If you dont, na you go take your head carry am                                       

If we are talking bribing the police, it doesnt matter whether u give it willingly or not bc they are going to take it anyhow. So it is better that you respect your arze.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Damilorlah(m): 2:07pm On Dec 19, 2011
I have given one before, my despiration then prompt my giving. Jesus himself said"give to caecers' what belong to caecer" to me, it is sometimes good to give it . In that context, it is no more a bribe but 'precaution'.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Btruth: 2:22pm On Dec 19, 2011
God knows how many times I had given out, especially the police on both our roads and highways. They will always find something wrong with your vehicle particulars. I can't count how many times to be honest, At the airports; coming in and going out. At the sea port as well, get to Apapa wharf now, loading Gypsum for Dangote, your truck cannot go in without paying at least N500 to those leech they call security. Imagine how much they are raking in everyday if one consider the numbers of trucks that goes in. Abeg bribery no be case again for Nigeria, instead, it's natural now.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by TenKobo1: 3:30pm On Dec 19, 2011
I gave bribe during my waec to enable me cheat

I gave my junior brother a sandwich bribe not to tell ma mum that

I jumped fence and went to a night club

I gave bribe at the airport before i left the country for the first time

I gave bribe in to a russian boss not to transfer me to santiago, chile

I hereby change your name to Mr Corruption. grin grin
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by MarcAnthon(m): 3:54pm On Dec 19, 2011
Beaf:

I completely agree with Beaf on this one. It is not something that can be eradicated ASAP though. We have to deliberately and consciously work towards it. Let's begin to take a little delays here and there from the police, and not be in a hurry to 'sort' them. Make sure your papers are complete beforehand. I have been in those situations myself, and I know that if your papers are complete, sometimes they let you go, and some other times they ask you 'oya wetin you get for us nah?' at which point you can smile and say nothing. Even if you give them something at that point it will not be bribe, because it is out of your freewill. But often times we are too much in a hurry or are on the wrong side of the law, and we offer these bribes even before we are asked so we don't get delayed. I have been there also.
I also stayed a few years at home because I couldn't 'sort' to get into the university, and when I finally did I got one of my two Cs because I wouldn't 'sort' a lecturer. He couldn't fail me outrightly, there'd have been raised eyebrows in my department then, so he marked me down best as he could.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Woke4all(m): 4:00pm On Dec 19, 2011
I bribe everyday!

I don`t have time for stress jor grin
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Ndkings1(m): 4:26pm On Dec 19, 2011
Halleluja!!!
I neva colect bribe b4, but i think, that's because am not in the position liable 2 b bribed.
But if 2day i find my self
indat _ fokin position' i wil not hesitate to colet the bribe'__but not the one that implicate? afect my prestij or destroy my carrier. But just 2 help a fellow.
This because i hav givin many people bribe - the police, the army , the road safty, the hospital atendant , vilej heads, kings My god!!! ONLY 2 NAME but few _nigeria don kpuf i swear.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Woke4all(m): 4:55pm On Dec 19, 2011
Okija_juju:

I dey give steady!!

I actually have a stack of 50 Naira bills in my glove compartment at all times for olopa!

But corporate bribery, NO! angry
You be molue driver?
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by domack99(m): 5:27pm On Dec 19, 2011
Am about to give a bribe and this is what happen.
Around middle of 2009 i notice that the NEPA official bring flat rate bill every month. ( some of you night have notice earlier). this amount ranges from like 900 Naira to 12000 Naira every month. I challenge the Marketing department of NEPA concerning this outrageous billing then i was told that though they charge  flat rate base on numbers of hours we had light and flat type and also  our meter is a three phase meter.
I return home to discover that our meter is a single phase meter, clearly written on it and with a single phase connection. I return to the NEPA office to inform them that my meter is a single phase meter with a single phase connection on it. I was told to write a letter which i did immediately.
Till date i have written up to twelve different letters most of which where acknowledge by the marketing manager secretary, till now my bill still carry R3 with N11 as multiplier instead of R2 which carry N7 as multiplier.Based on the analyses that was done with single phase meter my monthly bill will be maximum around 4,652 Naira, forget about the multiplier there are some unnecessary charges attached to three phase meter.
Late 2010 when i wanted to summit another request letter to effect the change i saw a guy at NEPA office who mention alternative way of making my request process snappy but i have to pay them 7,000 Naira then i refuse. Last Thursday when i went to NEPA office to pay another outrageous bill i saw this guy again, he didn't even recognize me anymore but upon explanation i was told to pay 12,000 Naira this time, that i can even made part payment and once the deal is done i will balance the rest.   We are still negotiating and hope he will come down to 10,000 Naira, guess i have no choice now.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 6:06pm On Dec 19, 2011
Pennywise:

If you want to have a liveable life in Nigeria, then you have to accept bribery as a norm.

If you dont, na you go take your head carry am                                       

If we are talking bribing the police, it doesnt matter whether u give it willingly or not bc they are going to take it anyhow. So it is better that you respect your arze.

What you considering the norm today still rubbed people the wrong way back 20 years ago. Instead of 'accepting' this, why not stand up against it instead . . . let that be the norm instead.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by ikechukz(m): 6:17pm On Dec 19, 2011
i gave my first national bribe in jss3.we were told to pay some g's for **,then i bribed a policeman for the first time when i was 16 cos i was caught while driving a car.will u prefer getting shot or paying a policeman his dues?
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Concept(m): 7:31pm On Dec 19, 2011
My answer is simply, I am a Nigerian & my work takes me to the domain of people in private and public sector then if you continue to ask me that question in a million time I will disappoint you. I am not answering johh!!

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Yeske2(m): 8:38pm On Dec 19, 2011
Unfortunate as it is, living in Nigeria would necessitate your greasing some palms one time or another; driving along the road, pushing up your file, meeting some oga, getting something done faster etc. I am not innocent of giving but dont think i've ever received, guess not seen any reason to receive for now but dont know of tomorrow sha.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by humblebee: 8:43pm On Dec 19, 2011
well for me to get to work early and for me to avoid experiencing accidental discharge, thereby reducing the number of seconds i spend talking to those ediots in black, I DO

you need to see how a guy was killed just because he was negotiating with the policemen, and then a bus loaded with banned items was trying to drive through the check point unstopped, the first shot hit this innocent guy and he's not here to tell the story so i wont just risk that at all,

Infact, my little under-steering safe is their special donation purse, i just put my hands there and take a note, i dont have to wait an extra second
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Misterpaul(m): 10:49am On Dec 20, 2011
Well for me,i collect bribe like everyday. I currently work in one of the federal govt.'s commissions,and bribrey is the order of the day here,from the zonal head down to the security men,nobody dey even depend on salary again, And wehttin man go do naw,i gat to get paid,buh hey thats the way it is,
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by iDo3: 6:57am On Dec 21, 2011
Theory and Practice sometimes are far apart. Easy to talk of NOT paying bribes when u live in Europe or USA. But in Naija unfortunately the system has been corrupted from the TOP down. Since the so called leaders President first for the past 35 plus years have enriched themselves and left nothing for the nation the small people have no choice often but to pay up.

Really sad what has become of this nation sad

God will punish all the politicians, government officials, etc. that have contributed to degrading the nation. Their children and heirs will not enjoy the ill gotten wealth!
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by knotty(m): 7:33am On Dec 21, 2011
I am a customs and work in Lagos ports, i don,t receive bribes.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by ektbear: 7:41am On Dec 21, 2011
I paid a bribe to get an expired passport renewed quickly.
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 7:47am On Dec 21, 2011
knotty:

I am a customs and work in Lagos ports, i don,t receive bribes.

What position make I take advantage? Since you do not accept bribes, that makes it even better. grin grin grin
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by tlops(m): 7:58pm On Dec 21, 2011
no
Re: Have You Ever Given Or Accepted Bribe? by Jakumo(m): 8:57pm On Dec 21, 2011
The word "bribe" does not exist in the Nigerian lexicon, but a number of creative euphemisms have been coined over the years to denote the handing over of cash in order to oil the wheels of progress.   Below are but a few samples of bribe collection MODALITIES in Nigerian culture and commerce.

A "Settlement" is traditionally forked over by motorists to police riflemen at roadblocks, so as to make the gunmen smile, which is certainly preferable to the alternative, wherever one drives away from a road-side interview with armed and possibly drunk individuals.

"Something for the weekend" is traditionally tendered in hard currency, along with ones travel documents, to Nigerian airport customs and immigrations officials, so that a full 4-hour search of the traveller's luggage and person is not deemed necessary.

Undocumented "Public Relations" fees are paid to state tax officials by all Nigerian corporate entities, to discourage the imposition of fabricated tax liabilities large enough to liquidate businesses.

"Estimated Bills" are paid in cash to state utility officials, to "neutralize" much larger "official" bills for electricity neither delivered nor consumed, with the understanding that failure to pay up means monkeys shimmying up utility poles to remove wire cables which are then sold in nearby markets.

Untraceable cash "Tithes" are paid to bible-thumping, money-laundering miracle pastors, by corrupt government officials, armed robbers and internet fraudsters all seeking God's blessing for their respective lives of crime.   

"Royalties" are passed under the table into the waiting hands of ALL Nigerian government officials expected to engage in anything more strenuous than dozing at their desks or bellowing on the phone.

While many a visitor or resident of Nigeria may coyly CLAIM to get by without paying bribes per se, it is safe to assume that un-receipted money will inevitably change hands under any of the above guises, in the majority of instances where a semblance of efficiency is preferred over stone-walls and stalemates at every turn.

Praise the Lord !

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Presidential Campaign Rally In Sokoto Live On NTA And AIT / Igbos Are Right! / Fg Finally Scraps Hnd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.