Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,075 members, 7,821,704 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here - Career (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here (86736 Views)

Psychology Graduates Lets Meet Here / Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here / Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by amadiwati(m): 10:27pm On May 22, 2017
levisco16:

please so you mean that physics education even though studied in the university and not college of education they don't get to study physics like physics only ?

with physics alone can i easily get job like physics edu in nigeria

AND also with physics only and not with edu can i work as a lecturer

also with physics compared m EEE which has a better chance of employment?

Im really discouraging you from any. I want to what exactly do you want, phy or phys edu. Why do you want physics or edu. In tge first place?
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by levisco16(m): 10:53pm On May 22, 2017
amadiwati:

Im really discouraging you from any. I want to what exactly do you want, phy or phys edu. Why do you want physics or edu. In tge first place?

i want to be a lecturer.

i made my jamb 273 and i intend studying physics edu in UI but now you telling me that physics is more than physics edu, because i would love to learn physics in full and not halfed baked so i want to know if leave physics edu and go for physics can i be a lecturer and also do i have better chance of job employment than physics edu?
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by amadiwati(m): 7:36am On May 23, 2017
levisco16:

i want to be a lecturer.

i made my jamb 273 and i intend studying physics edu in UI but now you telling me that physics is more than physics edu, because i would love to learn physics in full and not halfed baked so i want to know if leave physics edu and go for physics can i be a lecturer and also do i have better chance of job employment than physics edu?

The thing is you can't learn physics "in full" with physics education. You can also be a lecturer with physics.
Physics in science education and physics in science are not really the same. If I'm to choose I will choose science. Because I'll gain more. I'm a graduate of physics(b.sc)and by year end I'll take up theoretical physics at second degree. This you can't do in edu . rather m.ed in edu.

Another thing you should note is Physics(science) is broad. If you decide to go for physics( faculty of science) at some point you'll have topic an interest. Depending on what option ui have to offer. I dont want to discourage from what you want. But physics science is best.i bet you wont regret. If feel the education thing, you can do pdge in education and it balances

You can be a lecturer and also work in the industry with physics science
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by levisco16(m): 7:57am On May 23, 2017
amadiwati:

The thing is you can't learn physics "in full" with physics education. You can also be a lecturer with physics.
Physics in science education and physics in science are not really the same. If I'm to choose I will choose science. Because I'll gain more. I'm a graduate of physics(b.sc)and by year end I'll take up theoretical physics at second degree. This you can't do in edu . rather m.ed in edu.

Another thing you should note is Physics(science) is broad. If you decide to go for physics( faculty of science) at some point you'll have topic an interest. Depending on what option ui have to offer. I dont want to discourage from what you want. But physics science is best.i bet you wont regret. If feel the education thing, you can do pdge in education and it balances

You can be a lecturer and also work in the industry with physics science

confirm advice i thought of what you said because i love physics and i believe get 1st class in that field
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by amadiwati(m): 8:16am On May 23, 2017
levisco16:

confirm advice i thought of what you said because i love physics and i believe get 1st class in that field

Best wishes.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by levisco16(m): 11:03am On May 23, 2017
amadiwati:

Best wishes.
how many years is pgd?
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by amadiwati(m): 1:06pm On May 23, 2017
levisco16:

how many years is pgd?

Max, 2years.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Treasuredvessel: 1:00pm On Jul 07, 2017
Pls does ui run MSC med physics
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by ojotu4real(m): 3:59pm On Jul 07, 2017
levisco16:

nice spirit... Brace up for Qmechanics, Emag....
This sections will let u knw d broad difference between secondary school physics (newtonian) and modern physics.. Eg Ohms law is no longer I=V/R grin
levisco16:

nice spirit... Brace up for Qmechanics, Emag....
This sections will let u knw d broad difference between secondary school physics (newtonian) and modern physics.. Eg Ohms law is no longer I=V/R
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by sapphire0: 7:45am On Nov 15, 2017
Hello guys, I'm a physics and solar energy graduate about to finish NYSC. I'm thinking of doing my Msc in geophysics or renewable energy but I'm really confused. Please I need advice on which is best if someone wants to work in Nigeria
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by pabostt: 1:58pm On Nov 15, 2017
Treasuredvessel:
Pls does ui run MSC med physics

UI runs M. Sc radiation and health physics
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Sciencehigh1(m): 8:14am On Nov 28, 2017
I gained admission in Futa this year in Physics electronics, what is the difference between Phy electro and pure physics? which is broader?
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by dlaw70(m): 9:00am On Nov 28, 2017
tanimola22:
Although your last sentence is exasperating, I will nonetheless comment on your thread for the sake of other physicists on this forum.

Now, there is no special challenge that physics graduates face in the labor market and other graduates do not face. Being a graduate of physics is never a disadvantage in any way. In fact, it is a huge advantage. Just like mathematics, physics trains people to be very analytic. Many companies, both in Nigeria and elsewhere, are looking for people who are sound and can think analytically. Physics trains people to have these traits and even more.

Another thing I would like to draw to your notice is the fact that no company in Nigeria goes around saying we need physicists. I don't know where you got your data from, but I know that there are plenty physicists in many oil and gas companies, telecoms, banks, consulting and even accounting firms, but they are not working as physicists. We don't do high level research in Nigeria and thus many physics graduates do not work as physicists in Nigeria.

It is a nauseating piece of falsehood for anyone to assert that physics graduates will only end up in a classroom teaching physics. A very close family member of mine who read physics( and finished NYSC this year) just got a bank job there in Nigeria. Many of the physics graduates I know are not high school teachers. The best quants on Wall Street are physicists, not even economists or finance grads. These quants earn as much as $$750K/year. I can go on and on.

The advice I have for you guys is what we call 'the scatter gun approach'. Apply to as many companies as possible, say, like 100-200 companies per month. Depending on the strength of your paper qualifications, at least one of the companies should call you for a test.

Good luck!

bro,not only u guys,
As a graduate of political science, I av been told to go and die.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by CFAMadeEasy: 9:07am On Dec 02, 2017
For your 2018 CFA study materials level 1-3 (notes) both hard and soft copies available, qbank also available too.

Call/WhatsApp 08055047648
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by DAVEZONIGLTD: 3:52pm On May 02, 2018
Ok.
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by kenesth96: 9:05pm On Sep 09, 2018
good evening everyone please we school offer msc medical physics in Nigeria?
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by amadiwati(m): 5:07pm On Sep 10, 2018
kenesth96:

Futmina
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by cumz(m): 6:25pm On Sep 28, 2018
kenesth96:
OAU
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Amehsam(m): 9:56pm On Apr 15, 2019
icequeen93:
hi physicist, I am a graduate of industrial physics and I want to go for my masters in medical physics at unn, unizik or unilag and a friend of mine just told me that after the masters I still have to go down to sokoto for some training don't know how true it is. don't know if anyone have a suggestion
Helo.... Were u able to do ur MSc in Medical physics? Am interested
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by amadiwati(m): 1:35am On Apr 17, 2019
Please which school is the best in solid state physics in the east
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Sheggun1: 6:45pm On Jun 25, 2019
please which school offer pgd in physics telecommunications in Nigeria and it is possible to get scholarships as a third class graduate abroad
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Adasun(m): 6:20pm On Jan 06, 2020
E be like say all the bosses don abandon thread o shocked
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Elnino9(m): 9:03pm On Jan 06, 2020
hMm jst finished from uniport studied physics elect tech. 4.02 cgpa, preparing for clearance. Wanna apply for trainee jobs b4 service .
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Peterlawyer(m): 11:31pm On Jan 06, 2020
hi dear any information I'm also interested
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Peterlawyer(m): 11:36pm On Jan 06, 2020
Hi great people I'm a graduate of physics (BSc) about to round up my nysc. I'm planning of going for master in geophysics or medical physics in any of d Private institutions.because of  fear of strikes in public universites pls i need ur advice I'm totally confuse . ur advice would be highly needed or any other good alternative will be welcomed
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by joshbj(m): 5:09pm On Mar 18, 2020
Adasun:
E be like say all the bosses don abandon thread o shocked
Hahaha.... grin grin
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by hardeshynor: 9:00am On Mar 20, 2020
Let's create a whatsapp group ,with that we all can connect and network. Great Physicists!

3 Likes

Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by olamoses75(m): 4:06pm On Mar 30, 2020
Jusome:
am a physics graduate with second class upper....i love this trend...pls to enhance my career in safety jobs wht professional exams should i go for....
can you share with me some of your course materials or recommend some good textbook? I am an undergraduate studying physics. Thanks
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by seasonteachers: 8:52pm On Mar 30, 2020
Teachers are needed in the following areas in a college in Lagos Ikorodu.

1. English language
2. Mathematics, physics,
3 .biology or chemistry
3. Geography

Note.. you must be residing in lagos/ikorodu and with at least 3 years experience in teaching. candidate outside ikorodu/lagos may also apply if u are very good

Send your CV to... seasonedteachers@gmail.com
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by calculator123(m): 5:16pm On Apr 06, 2020
tanimola22:

Are you ready to do a fully funded PGD for one year and then upgrade to a fully funded PhD? Sounds silly, right? Well, many guys I know did exactly this. One is now in Harvard for his Postdoc. The others are scattered around Canada, South Africa, England, Europe and elsewhere in this our world. In fact, I myself got a fully funded PhD position in NY but had to turn in down because I wanted to do a money money course and wasn't ready to invest the next five years doing research, hahahahah. Just let us know if you are interested.

I read a thread where you stated that your Master's degree grades covered for your not so great BSc grades. It is because of this that I am making the above proposition. I think you stand a chance in the fierce competition.

Meanwhile, endeavour to apply for a PhD position at KAUST before the deadline of January 15 2012 reaches. That research university is a money bag, cash cow! My guy doing his PhD there earns 30K Dollars per annum and this money excludes accommodation and school fees. It is only for feeding. Say Saudi 'owo epo' and you would be correct! You can do a PhD and also earn fine cash. hahaha.

T22.
Sir Tanimola, can I PM you?
Re: Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here by calculator123(m): 5:18pm On Apr 06, 2020
bukkytroni:

Hi all,

I am a full fledged physicist but I also delved into a lot of things, Programming, Wired and wireless networking, Mathematics, Electrical/Electronics and now finally FINANCE. You all know that as physicists, our quest for knowledge no de end.

I plan to be a quant and recently wrote my CFA L1 exams. Dont tell me I lost focus. If you see the Quantitative Methods and Portfolio Management, its all pure mathematics and physics. You will use poisson distribution, correlation, regression, skewness, kurtosis, confidence interval, variance, standard deviation AND pure calculus etc to Model returns and risk of an investment and summarize what a stock, porfolio or investment will look like in future.

It was very very very very interesting for me because I had a fully quantitative background and eventually turned to a lecture among my finance peers because IF YOU WERE NEVER A PHYSICIST (ANALYTICAL), YOU CAN NEVER BE/THINK LIKE A PHYSICIST.

I am very proud that I studied physics and If given the opportunity to go to university again, I will definitely do a double major in PHYSICS/ACTUARIAL SCIENCE/QUANTITATIVE FINANCE.

Meanwhile, I work with a firm where I crunch all their data and tell them in simple sentences what the figures and trends are saying,

This means you must be a Data Scientist. Can I pm you?

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

CEO Back Home Now Cleaning Nyash In UK - Curvy Nigerian Lady Breaks Down In Tear / Woman Working At A Building Site In Lagos (Photo) / Lady Sacked On Her First Day Of Work After Asking Her Boss This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.