Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,526 members, 7,770,332 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:30 AM

Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy (10833 Views)

Remove Subsidy, Stimulate Infrastructure, Tinubu Tells Buhari / Youth Leaders To Jonathan: Don’t Contest 2015 Election / Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by kokoA(m): 8:09am On Dec 19, 2011
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo at the weekend told President Jonathan to forget the idea of ending fuel subsidies for now so as to allow stability to reign in the country, sources told Daily Trust.
Obasanjo met Jonathan at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Saturday at the instance of the president, apparently in continuation of his series of consultations over the plan to remove fuel subsides beginning from January.

A source who is privy to the meeting told Daily Trust that the former president cautioned Jonathan that removing fuel subsidies could ignite chaos in the country.

Jonathan last week announced the Federal budget for 2012, making no provision for fuel subsidies, apparently in line with his plan to scrap the support regime. But finance minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala said on Wednesday that the president was still holding consultations on the matter.

Labour unions and civil society groups have been warming up for confrontation with the government in the event the subsidy is cut. The Nigeria Labour Congress is to meet tomorrow to decide on ways of staging protests.

But the president seems bent on implementing the plan, arguing that cutting fuel subsidies would free up more than a trillion naira yearly for infrastructure development.

During their meeting, Obasanjo, according to our source, told Jonathan that subsidy removal may destablise the nation and the resultant trouble may be too much for the president to handle. He urged the president to put the plan on hold.

Daily Trust could not confirm what the president’s response was.

“Chief Obasanjo did not mince words in telling the President to drop his plan of removing fuel subsidy. He told the president that the nation already has enough problems to contend with, and removing fuel subsidy at this time could compound the problems,” the source said.

Presidential spokesman Reuben Abati did not reply to a text message sent to him seeking for comments yesterday.

A source close to Obasanjo confirmed that the two leaders met but said the meeting was held behind closed doors and so “nobody can say what they really discussed.”

It was not clear why Jonathan invited Obasanjo for consultations, having earlier rejected the former president’s roadmap for peace with the Boko Haram sect.

Obasanjo in September offered Jonathan a plan to end the Boko Haram violence, which included amnesty and compensation for the sect, but Jonathan has not implemented the plan.

Our source said an angry Obasanjo has not visited the Villa since that time until Saturday.

President Jonathan had over the past months met separately with Federal lawmakers, civil society groups, private sector operators, student unions, political parties and media owners to try to persuade them to buy into his subsidy ending plan.

His meeting with labour unions billed for last week Monday was postponed because of the absence of the Trades Union Congress. It is due to hold this week.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=150276:obasanjo-to-jonathan-dont-remove-subsidy&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by doctokwus: 1:26pm On Dec 19, 2011
Obasanjo,ever d down to earth man;I personally feel he lost 8good yrs to set this country on d path to glory,but one thing I admire him for is that he has never bn one to hide frm saying tins d way he sees it,right or wrong.
For GEJ,he can say who is OBJ to now advise him since he also reduced subsidy during his term,but d circumstances of d country then& now are clearly dfferent,this his rush to remove subsidy is ill timed.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by Kx: 1:30pm On Dec 19, 2011
Hm, we are waiting.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by kokoA(m): 2:47pm On Dec 19, 2011
Even old Obj is seeing what young GEJ can not see, No wonder IBB said the younger generation ain't capable of runing things
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by nku5: 3:03pm On Dec 19, 2011
Honestly I couldn't and still don't care for in OBJ but I learned from a source or two that he understands the mess he and his cronies have put us in and wants to make it right as much as he can before he dies or becomes too old to do anything.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by 1025: 3:23pm On Dec 19, 2011
obasanjo is the sole reason we are in the mess called jonathan. after wasting 8 years, obasanjo is supposed to allow nigerians choose who the next president will be but for his crimes, he choose to impose dullards on us. God will surely reward him while he is still alive for all the suffering and deaths nigerians are going through for his recklessness.
as for jonathan, i am not surprised that he is not ruling well but now that his god(obasanjo) has spoken, let us see what will happen. the prayer of many nigerians is to see all these criminals(rulers) die along side their families like saddam and gadahfi.
might there be any revolt, they will be the targets and whatsoever is related to them will be destroyed.
all their security personnels will run for their lives and maybe the ones to kill them.
we need a jerry rawlings here to wipe out these stealing bastards.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by kokoA(m): 3:31pm On Dec 19, 2011
1025:

obasanjo is the sole reason we are in the mess called jonathan. after wasting 8 years, obasanjo is supposed to allow nigerians choose who the next president will be but for his crimes, he choose to impose dullards on us. God will surely reward him while he is still alive for all the suffering and deaths nigerians are going through for his recklessness.
as for jonathan, i am not surprised that he is not ruling well but now that his god(obasanjo) has spoken, let us see what will happen. the prayer of many nigerians is to see all these criminals(rulers) die along side their families like saddam and gadahfi.
might there be any revolt, they will be the targets and whatsoever is related to them will be destroyed.
all their security personnels will run for their lives and maybe the ones to kill them.
we need a jerry rawlings here to wipe out these stealing bastards.

Obasanjo did not impose anybody on us. Is he God? Nigerians chose GEJ by themselves because of some sentimental reasons best known to them. Let us stop blaming Obj for everything abeg. Obj did not force anybody to "press unblerra" during the election.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by worm(f): 4:58pm On Dec 19, 2011
lipsrsealed

Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by kokoA(m): 5:01pm On Dec 19, 2011
^^^^^ grin grin lol
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by Ymodulus: 6:57pm On Dec 19, 2011
kokoA:

Obasanjo did not impose anybody on us. Is he God? Nigerians chose GEJ by themselves because of some sentimental reasons best known to them. Let us stop blaming Obj for everything abeg. Obj did not force anybody to "press unblerra" during the election.
thank you my brother it really baffles me how stu#pid a lot of nairalanders are. They were d one shout FRESH AIR now they are shouting OBJ imposed GEJ on them. What dafts dey are. Truly i now understand when IBB said and i quote " young men has not got what it takes to rule this country ".
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by otokx(m): 9:40pm On Dec 19, 2011
It appears JONATHAN needs some doses of fresh air.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by 1025: 10:15pm On Dec 19, 2011
thank you my brother it really baffles me how stu#pid a lot of nairalanders are. They were d one shout FRESH AIR now they are shouting OBJ imposed GEJ on them. What dafts dey are. Truly i now understand when IBB said and i quote " young men has not got what it takes to rule this country ".

@Ymodulus,
i am the one that said obj imposed jonathan and yar adua on us and i expect you to ask me how but since you did not do that instead u insult me, i believe u and i are not mates so i say to all your insults, SAME TO YOUR PARENTS.
if you want to know how obasanjo imposed jonathan and yar adua, go back to the history of 2007 elections and find out if yar adua and jonathan were in any way interested in the presidency of this country. more than 100 candidates indicated interests and odili and marwa for example were forced to drop their presidential ambitions or face the efcc.
i am not in anyway the only nigerian that knows that obasanjo sole handedly brought yar adua and jonathan on board. when it was election time last year, we all saw things play out. the northerners were supposed to complete their 8 years before the igbos take their turn in 2015 but the same obasanjo who is the chairman board of trustees of pdp played his games and jonathan again showed up.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by dayokanu(m): 10:20pm On Dec 19, 2011
Even OBj now realises that Odechukwu Jonathan is Retardeed?
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by kokoA(m): 8:14am On Dec 20, 2011
^^^^^
And I will gladly tell him thesame thing he said to IBB: "A regret at 70, is a regret to the grave" grin
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by 1025: 9:45am On Dec 20, 2011
to obasanjo - make God punish u for the kind of people you bring and impose on us. pdp members and their families will not see happiness for the happiness they have denied us over the years.
all those who live by sword will die by sword.
the suffering of the poor masses will be multiplied to all of u and your generations unborn.
you have murdered peace and u all will know no peace.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by Nobody: 9:46am On Dec 20, 2011
the fuel subsidy most go for this country to move forward.

Nigerians who are against this are retardians.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by Demdem(m): 9:48am On Dec 20, 2011
dayokanu:

Even OBj now realises that Odechukwu Jonathan is Retardeed?
Right on point.
The retardeen stiffneck will lead him to destruction shortly.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by Demdem(m): 9:51am On Dec 20, 2011
East:

the fuel subsidy most go for this country to move forward.

Nigerians who are against this are retardians.

U are definately referring to your kinds grin our problem with this policy is the timing and not subsidy removal itself.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by isleman(m): 10:06am On Dec 20, 2011
1025:

to obasanjo - make God punish u for the kind of people you bring and impose on us. pdp members and their families will not see happiness for the happiness they have denied us over the years.
all those who live by sword will die by sword.
the suffering of the poor masses will be multiplied to all of u and your generations unborn.
you have murdered peace and u all will know no peace.

PDP only produced a candidate for their party. other parties also produced. why didnt you out-vote pdp's yardua and jonathan. dodnt understand your basis of blame on OBJ over GEJ. YOU VOTED!!!
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by isleman(m): 10:08am On Dec 20, 2011
never the less, you can still instruct your elected reps to impeach him if you feel you've had enough. curses and blames wont help you.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by Reggie2(m): 10:11am On Dec 20, 2011
Something extraordinary must happen for this country to move forward. Everyone's life appear to dangle upon oil, yet some countries do not possess it. Let subsidy go! If fuel dries up, are we not going to live? Do you abort a pregnancy for fear of what the child will become? Jonathan and his cabinet have a mandate, posterity is theirs whether good or bad. Obj ought to shut up because his best was not good enough for Nigeria.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by jude4real: 10:12am On Dec 20, 2011
kokoA:

Even old Obj is seeing what young GEJ can not see,  No wonder IBB said the younger generation ain't capable of runing things
You guys should leave Obasanjo alone. Jonathan is unable to see what an old man like Obj is seeing. Removing the fuel subsidy will bring a great revolution to this country. President Jonathan, a word they say is enough for the wise.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by kokoA(m): 10:14am On Dec 20, 2011
Reggie2:

Something extraordinary must happen for this country to move forward. Everyone's life appear to dangle upon oil, yet some countries do not possess it. Let subsidy go! If fuel dries up, are we not going to live? Do you abort a pregnancy for fear of what the child will become? Jonathan and his cabinet have a mandate, posterity is theirs whether good or bad. Obj ought to shut up because his best was not good enough for Nigeria.

So convinient for you to be writing from Italy. Abi?
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by Reggie2(m): 10:22am On Dec 20, 2011
kokoA:

So convinient for you to be writing from Italy. Abi?

Past rulers of that country forced many of us on self imposed exile. No one likes likes to live away from home.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 20, 2011
remove the subsidy.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by cyril10(m): 10:25am On Dec 20, 2011
Nairaland posters with insult, no respect for their elders again what a country. We tend to know too much but in our various homes and offices we still mess up, only talks and no action, i believe we are missing alot of things concerning this fuel subsidy and other issues. Research very well before posting insults on your leaders here.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by Onyocha: 10:26am On Dec 20, 2011
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY WAS YAR'ADUA ABLE TO DECREASE THE FUEL PRICE FROM 70 Naira PER LITRE TO 65 Naira PER LITRE?

WHY WAS YAR'ADUA ABLE TO DO THIS WHILE JONATHAN ISN'T EVEN ABLE TO MAINTAIN THE CURRENT PRICE BUT TRYING TO INCREASE IT?

WHENEVER EITHER JONATHAN OR OBASANJO WANT TO INCREASE FUEL PRICE,THEY USE THE SUBSIDY AS EXCUSE.WHEN IS THE GOVERNMENT SUBSIDY GOING TO FINISH? HOW MUCH IS THE GOVERNMENT SUBSIDY SO WE CAN KNOW THAT AFTER THIS TIME,THERE WOULD BE NO MORE INCREMENT? DOESN'T THIS SUBSIDY EVER FINISH?

THIS SAME OBASANJO INCREASED THE FUEL PRICE AND PLAYED WITH IT FROM 22 Naira PER LITRE TO 70 Naira PER LITRE.NOW HE IS TRYING TO BE THE "GOOD GUY".IF HE WAS THE ONE IN OFFICE,WHO WOULD HAVE BEING ABLE TO CONVINCE HIM NOT TO INCREASE THE PRICE?
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by gaddafe(m): 10:33am On Dec 20, 2011
isleman:

PDP only produced a candidate for their party. other parties also produced. why didnt you out-vote pdp's yardua and jonathan. dodnt understand your basis of blame on OBJ over GEJ. YOU VOTED!!!
+1

This is a multi-party system. Must PDP always win in all elections. OBJ did what he felt was right and if the electorate felt otherwise, they had so many other choice to choose from. Almost 50 political parties, yet you voted for PDP, who is the bigger fool?
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by Afam4eva(m): 10:39am On Dec 20, 2011
Despite the fact that i despise OBJ for contributing to the many problems plaguing this nation but i however feel he's not a sycophant. he says it the way it is without fear or favour.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by kokoA(m): 10:46am On Dec 20, 2011
Reggie2:

Past rulers of that country forced many of us on self imposed exile. No one likes likes to live away from home.

Thats true though, but maybe you have to come back let me take you some places in you father land where people live practically on refuse dumps with no hope for the next meal, now the government wants this people to 'sacrifice' while your politicians sit on fat salaries.
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by soma042(m): 11:14am On Dec 20, 2011
let them remove the fuel subsidy  so that revolution will hit the dame country . this the only chance we got to fix things right in this so called nigeria.[size=8pt][/size]
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy by rexokemute: 12:08pm On Dec 20, 2011

(1) (2) (Reply)

Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents / Exchange Rate Under Buhari, The Truth. / President Buhari To Inaugurate His Cabinet On Wednesday By 10 AM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.