Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? (14807 Views)

Stock Brokers Sue Oyedepo For Not Paying Them / Winners Chapel's Reply To Allegations On Bishop Oyedepo / Chris Oyakhilome's Lawyer Threatens To Sue Media Houses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by hrhobi1(m): 10:51am On Dec 21, 2011
Pastor told the girl to go to hell if she likes too.
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by Sike(m): 11:01am On Dec 21, 2011
fola_Beads:

What are you guys talking about?I cannt get the trust of this story.please expatiate.

Keep Reading!
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by Ignatio(m): 11:08am On Dec 21, 2011
@Cicero, abeg park well. Back your sayings/support with the scripture and stop being emotional about the issue. Do you follow Oyedepo or God? Be honest. That slap wasn't right.
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by dasarge(m): 12:37pm On Dec 21, 2011
@cicero, people like you who bask in religious charade and hypocrisy are the main reason Nigeria is still in the state of backwardness, the Bishop was absolutely wrong to assault and publicly humiliate that lady in public and those members of the congregation that openly applauded the act were also wrong on that,

In Nigeria today, the pastors are having a field day putting fear in the hearts of the common Nigerian person. Please note that the average Nigerian has poverty problem or health problems, these men of God capitalise on that, preaching either prosperity or Miracles! the poor and the sick(which most people are anyways) rush to these places of worship and continue to deceive themselves that the problem is about to end; so many have died in this state of ignorance either poor or sick!

In Britain, they dont do God and its well known, but in America, a man of God will never do that and we can see that America is what it is because the men of God mostly preach salvation and the people embrace salvation and the Gospel of our lord Jesus and that's the reason America is great today. Nigerian christians mostly embrace hypocrisy, and pride! with these two, you can never make heaven; the ultimate destination of every right-thinking christian!

Need I remind you about many more, ?
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by Beautymc(f): 1:50pm On Dec 21, 2011
U guys are here making a whole lot of noise. Some of u knows the girl's parents, why not encourage them to sue Oyedepo in other to show ur concern? Let me knw the court, even in America u guys are shouting. U will not allow the man of God to rest. The man u guys are gossiping about, God is busy making him great. Better mind ur business for no one says anything against the man of God and go scot free. God is watching.
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by Beautymc(f): 2:03pm On Dec 21, 2011
cicero:

Can you see how deep your ignorance is?
Your post is typical of the ignorance that I see everywhere regarding Bishop Oyedepo.
You don't know him and you can never know him because you obviously have no capacity to appreciate the stories of great men. That is where their secrets are found.
Don't mind them, they are the accusers of brethren. They don't have work. There is nothing different btw them and that witch. Let them go to Bishop Oyedepo and say they are witch, he will still slap them and go free. They are free to talk rubbish online.
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by CHUKANWEZ: 2:25pm On Dec 21, 2011
HEY!HEY! THIS IS AN INTERESTING ONE HERE READERS grin
FIRST OF ALL WHY ARE PEOPLE FIGHTING HERE CALLING EASH OTHER NAMES AND SWEARING!!!!!!I DON'T SEE THE PRICE HERE!!!!
PLEASE MODERATORS LOOK INTO PEOPLE PUBLICING HERE IS GETTING RIDICULE!!!!!!! grin
STRAIGHT TO THE POINT B4 I FORGOT
THE GIRL WHOM DECLARE HERSELF AS A WITCH FOR JESUS shocked
I HAVE SEEN WHEN I WAS IN NIGERIA MANY PLACES WHERE DELIVERANCE WAS TAKEN PLACE AND THE DEMONIC PERSON SOMETIME ASK THE PASTOR QUESTIONS EVEN SOMETIMES IT GET UP TO THE STAGE BOTH THE DELIVERANCE TEAMS AND THE DEMONIC PERSON WILL BE HAVING IT OUT TILL THE PEOPLE OF GOD WILL USE  QUOTATIONS IN THE BIBLE TO BACK DOWN THE EVIL SPIRIT IN THAT VICTIMS BODY, SO THE IDEA OR SHALL I SAY WHAT OYEDEPO(MOG)HE DID WAS OVER RE-ACTED AND YOU ALL HERE HAVE TO EXCUSE HIM FOR HIS REACTION TO IT BECAUSE,DON'T FORGET THAT OYEDEPO IS A HUMANBEING LIKE YOU AND I SO HE IS NO DIFFERENT FROM MAKING A MISTAKE,I SEE THE REASON WHY PEOPLE HERE ARE HOLDING HIM FOR IT,AND FOR WHAT HE DID TO THE GIRL,,,,,,HE SHOULD ASK GOD FOR FORGIVNESS AS HE SHOULDN'T CONDEMN THE GIRL INSTANTLY THAT SHE IS GOING TO HELL,,,OF COURSE WHEN YOU HAVE DEMONIC ATTACK YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OF YOUR ACTIONS MOST TIMES,,,,,,,AS IT REMIND ME OF JESUS AND THE MAD MAN IN THE BIBLE HE DID NOT CONDEMN HIM TO HELL BUT HE KNOWS THAT HE HASN'T GOT ANY CONTROL OF HIS ACTION THATS WHY OUR LORD IS MERCIFUL,SO MR Oyedepo NEED A SERIOUS PRAYER TO CLEAN HIMSELF FROM THAT RE-ACTION AND IGNORE WHAT SO EVER CRITICIZATION THAT PEOPLE ARE THROW ABOUT HERE,AND TRY TO FIND THAT GIRL AND MAKE SURE THAT HE PROVE TO THAT WITCH INSIDE HER THAT HE THAT IS IN OYEDEPO IS GREAT THAT HE /SHE THAT IS INSIDE HER,,,,,,,,WORD OF  WISDOM TO YOU ALL,,IS TO STOP SEE ING NEGATIVE SIDE OF THINGS AND TRY TO FIND A SOLUTION NOT THREATEN EACH OTHER WE ALL ARE HERE TO LEARN AND SHARE EXPERIENCE WITH EACHOTHER IN LOVE , NIGERIAN'S GOD LOVES US WE KEEP IT UP.MERRY XMAS AND WONDERFUL BEGINING IN ADVANCE PEOPLE, GOD IS LOVE smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by taigee: 3:42pm On Dec 21, 2011
We have learnt a lot from these men. (Adeboye/Oyedepo)
We have been immensely blessed by their ministries, your criticism on this mindless and rude forum not withstanding.
This forum is supposed to be a religious forum, but it is dominated by irrational critics who just feel like making the loudest noise on the free net.
I am waiting for the first to sue Oyedepo on the "crime" who will bell the cat?
Hypocrites!
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by dare2think: 3:59pm On Dec 21, 2011
Beautymc:

Don't mind them, they are the accusers of brethren. They don't have work. There is nothing different btw them and that witch. Let them go to Bishop Oyedepo and say they are witch, he will still slap them and go free. They are free to talk rubbish online.

As you are a woman, you are a disgrace to your fellow women. I'm sure you must have come across females who are victims of abuse, I wonder what you say to them.

I hope one day this Charlatan will accuse you of being a witch, and rather than give you the chance to explain yourself, I hope he slaps the living hell out of you.
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by Outstrip(f): 4:50pm On Dec 21, 2011
cicero:

Now I see where you are coming from, fela is your mentor.
May I suggest you visit Redemption Camp or Canaan land some day, you will see 'zombies' that you are not fit to even wash their cars, they are smarter and wiser than you a thousand times over.

Cicero you are not a christian. You are a heathen. I say this because you lost your way a long time ago. You do not even see that you have lost it so how can you find yoru way back. The man is unrepentant. If he was a man of God he would come back and apologize. Instead he bragged about it. You are talking about atheist having a field day. Who gave them the fodder they needed. Your Oyedepo did that. He should be worried about the temperature in hell today because he has made a mockery of Christ. God is not a man. Oyedepo sits to sh1it just like the girl he slapped shi11ts to sleep. He is not more important to God than she is. He is possibly even held to higher standard. The Bible even says that if eating meat will cause your brother to sin then you should not eat it. This man has made a mockery of Christ worldwide. At the end of the day those who follow Christ and not some MOG as you people call it know that this man needs to repent. There is no place for this nonsense in Christianity
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by MOM1(m): 5:19pm On Dec 21, 2011
well with my little law knowledge, lol, Pastor Oyedepo will win the case if the girl decided to sue him

Firstly, He didnt go to her but she came to him
Secondly, Going to him for prayers or whatsoever you have agreed to abide by his principles and ways so whatever he does to you is what you deserve, chikena

Am not a fan of any pastor but am a christian,
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by lepasharon(f): 5:30pm On Dec 21, 2011
But the incident happened over two yeaars ago,why is every body talking about it now??
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by Outstrip(f): 5:32pm On Dec 21, 2011
M.O.M:

well with my little law knowledge, lol, Pastor Oyedepo will win the case if the girl decided to sue him

Firstly, He didnt go to her but she came to him
Secondly, Going to him for prayers or whatsoever you have agreed to abide by his principles and ways so whatever he does to you is what you deserve, chikena

Am not a fan of any pastor but am a christian,

You shouldn't have said with my little knowledge of law you should have said "with my total lack of knowledge of the law"
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by MOM1(m): 5:36pm On Dec 21, 2011
@ Outstrip,tell me what i dont know?
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by keenchiori(m): 6:29pm On Dec 21, 2011
I can giv anything to get a slap from papa oyedepo.His words are life,his slap would be life eternal.Haters are loosers
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by fred2265: 6:43pm On Dec 21, 2011
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by nlMediator: 7:28pm On Dec 21, 2011
Outstrip:

You shouldn't have said with my little knowledge of law you should have said "with my total lack of knowledge of the law"

Actually, his knowledge of the law seems pretty good. Of course, nobody can be 100% sure of the outcome, but the girl is likely to lose if she sues. If you submit yourself to certain situations, you take what normally goes with it. Volenti non fit injuria. Or Assumption of Risk. And the references to the Constitution, such as right to dignity, are off-point. The rights in the Constitution protect us from abuse by the government and its agents, not from fellow citizens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volenti_non_fit_injuria
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by Enigma(m): 8:55pm On Dec 21, 2011
^^^ I don't think the above is a correct presentation of the law. I do not think either that 'volenti non fit injuria' will avail the pastor ordinarily - even in these circumstances. The fact that a person "submits" him/herself for "prayer" or even "deliverance" does not mean s/he consents to gratuitous and wholly unwarranted and unnecessary violence which was just an outlet of the pastor's own violent nature and his absence of self-control.

In my view, a civil action stands a very good chance of succeeding and in some jurisdictions could (and rightly should) result in substantial damages against the pastor.
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by nlMediator: 9:29pm On Dec 21, 2011
I don't think you're in a position to say what a correct presentation of the law is, if your objection is based on facts with which you have little familiarity. Unless you're convinced that deliverance does not involve any physical conduct, and you can't claim to know about Nigerian deliverance sessions and confidently make such assertion, then your confidence about the chances of success are highly misplaced. In fariness, you stated it as your personal opinion, which is fine by me. Since that's what all of us are doing here. A court of law will make the necessary call, if the occasion arises. I simply do not think it's a slam dunk in the girl's favor.
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by Enigma(m): 9:35pm On Dec 21, 2011
I'm afraid I am in a position to say what is a true presentation of the law because I have quite a decent knowledge of Nigerian law as well as the law of other common law jurisdictions. I had deliberately tried to be soft in that post. The fact really is that what you said is inaccurate in law --- to be honest.

You have as much information on the facts as I do (unless you have some inside knowledge) and on those publicly known facts, you made a claim on the law but the fact is that your application of the law to the known facts is wrong. The parameters of application of 'volenti non fit injuria' were not presented accurately.
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by mrover(m): 10:11pm On Dec 21, 2011
Sue for what?

Don't forget dis is Africa, parents still beat their kids to rebuke certain behaviours and that will never change.
I see absolutely nothing wrong in correcting the young girl. That's an effective way to correct kids in africa.
I grew up with such beatings n dat has molded nearly everyone i know

Look, There's a mosque beside my house, kids go there on Saturdays to learn the qua-ran n Islamic doctrine, the alfa der
never spares any child (big or small). He beats them at will, all so they could effectively learn. And the parents totally support it.

Stop this western mentality. It cant work. This is Africa, Nigeria!
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by cicero(m): 10:43pm On Dec 21, 2011
Outstrip:

Cicero you are not a christian. You are a heathen. I say this because you lost your way a long time ago. You do not even see that you have lost it so how can you find yoru way back. The man is unrepentant. If he was a man of God he would come back and apologize. Instead he bragged about it. You are talking about atheist having a field day. Who gave them the fodder they needed. Your Oyedepo did that. He should be worried about the temperature in hell today because he has made a mockery of Christ. God is not a man. Oyedepo sits to sh1it just like the girl he slapped shi11ts to sleep. He is not more important to God than she is. He is possibly even held to higher standard. The Bible even says that if eating meat will cause your brother to sin then you should not eat it. This man has made a mockery of Christ worldwide. At the end of the day those who follow Christ and not some MOG as you people call it know that this man needs to repent. There is no place for this nonsense in Christianity
Thank you, you are a christian, sister outstrip.
I can't even reply your post, your level of understanding requires a wrong essay to teach you a few things and I don't have that kind of time right now.
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by cicero(m): 10:52pm On Dec 21, 2011
Ignatio:

@Cicero, abeg park well. Back your sayings/support with the scripture and stop being emotional about the issue. Do you follow Oyedepo or God? Be honest. That slap wasn't right.
I follow Oyedepo as he follows Christ, I also follow any Man of God that follows Christ. 1 Cor 11:1
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by nlMediator: 11:25pm On Dec 21, 2011
Enigma:

I'm afraid I am in a position to say what is a true presentation of the law because I have quite a decent knowledge of Nigerian law as well as the law of other common law jurisdictions. I had deliberately tried to be soft in that post. The fact really is that what you said is inaccurate in law --- to be honest.

You have as much information on the facts as I do (unless you have some inside knowledge) and on those publicly known facts, you made a claim on the law but the fact is that your application of the law to the known facts is wrong. The parameters of application of 'volenti non fit injuria' were not presented accurately.

Great! Forgive my mistaken impression that you're basing your position on the facts. Now, that it is clear that you're basing it on the law, I'm quite confident that you're very wrong. For a start, could you "educate" us on the "[t]he parameters of application of 'volenti non fit injuria'"? Since you don't know what I know about the facts and probably have never been to that church, we can leave the facts for now, until we sort out the law. I can also see you're making one of the first mistakes of debaters on forums of this nature: that because you have a knowledge of a subject (in this case Nigerian law and other common law jurisdictions), you're the only person in the audience with such knowledge. May surprise you what others know.
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by Enigma(m): 11:28pm On Dec 21, 2011
Now you are asking me! Start by explaining the doctrine of "volenti non fit injuria" in Nigerian law or in common law generally.

Outline the circumstances or types of circumstances in which it applies.

Explain whether the courts tend to adopt a wide or narrow view/scope for application of 'volenti non fit injuria'

Explain the relationship of "contributory negligence" and "volenti" that informs the attitude of the courts to "volenti non fit injuria".

Let's start with those.
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by nlMediator: 12:09am On Dec 22, 2011
Ha ha ha! I already did all that. Read the wikipedia article I linked to. That's why I knew your claim was baseless. I have stated my position and since you branded it an inaccurate presentation of the law, the simple thing to do is to present an accurate one. So, I'm still waiting. And with your out-of-this-world knowledge of the subject - that you hinted at - this is your golden opportunity to enlighten lesser mortals. For the record, I stand by the legal presentation and insist the only thing that needs to be cleared is the factual component, i.e., Is this far removed from what people expect when they go for deliverance sessions at Oyedepo's church?
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by lepasharon(f): 12:11am On Dec 22, 2011
the video has made it to world star hip hop o
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by Enigma(m): 12:17am On Dec 22, 2011
nlMediator:

Ha ha ha! I already did all that. Read the wikipedia article I linked to. That's why I knew your claim was baseless. I have stated my position and since you branded it an inaccurate presentation of the law, the simple thing to do is to present an accurate one. So, I'm still waiting. And with your out-of-this-world knowledge of the subject - that you hinted at - this is your golden opportunity to enlighten lesser mortals. For the record, I stand by the legal presentation and insist the only thing that needs to be cleared is the factual component, i.e., Is this far removed from what people expect when they go for deliverance sessions at Oyedepo's church?

I had read the Wikipedia article; even a student studying Tort law for the first time can tell you that it is grossly inadequate on the topic --- if only for incompleteness.

I have also noticed that despite my deliberate attempt to be polite you have maintained this insolent attitude --- which I find both surprising and disappointing.

In that case: I will say now that on the facts that are in public knowledge and on the elements of the doctrine of 'volenti non fit injuria', the doctrine analytically does not avail the pastor in this case and a court will almost certainly throw it out.

I am not going to explain the doctrine for you I'm afraid. For that reason, you are free to continue presenting the viewpoint that the pastor has such a defence. I will continue to argue that the defence does not avail the pastor on the known facts.

cool
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by aloyemeka1: 1:48am On Dec 22, 2011
desthan:

Lets looks at this un-emotionally

First of all, there is no way Oyedepo will see that girl outside the walls of his church and slap her nor will that girl see Oyedepo in the open and kneel before him.

She went to that church on her freewill. Even went as far as coming out and kneeling before Oyedepo for deliverance. This simply means she has accepted Oyedepo's authority, and has also consented to any method Oyedepo chooses to use to cure her of her predicament. whether it be by flogging, hanging her upside down or whatever.

So sueing Oyedepo is out of the question because she was not coerced or forced, she came out voluntarily.

I really did not see any moral in what the bishop did, but what can i say. . . . you go to people to dig up dirt in you, then you expect them to use a spoon. . . . c'mon y'all.

So if you come to my house, I am free to rap.e, abuse, assault or even cut off your head because you were not coerced into coming to my house?. Did she sign any disclaimer that waives her rights to protection in case of any form of abuse from the bishop?  
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by Outstrip(f): 2:16am On Dec 22, 2011
sigh
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by Claus(m): 12:02pm On Dec 22, 2011
I'm amazed at the opinions offered by nlMediator and desthan!

desthan, you conclude that going up to the altar for deliverance = "consenting to any method Oyedepo chooses"!

nlMediator, you conclude that being assaulted is a risk that a reasonable person should expect when they go and seek spiritual help.

If anyone actually takes the above conclusions to be valid, then clearly they are too far gone and one cannot expect any reasonable discussion to take place.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Re: What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? by nlMediator: 7:07pm On Dec 22, 2011
Enigma:

I had read the Wikipedia article; even a student studying Tort law for the first time can tell you that it is grossly inadequate on the topic --- if only for incompleteness.

I have also noticed that despite my deliberate attempt to be polite you have maintained this insolent attitude --- which I find both surprising and disappointing.

In that case: I will say now that on the facts that are in public knowledge and on the elements of the doctrine of 'volenti non fit injuria', the doctrine analytically does not avail the pastor in this case and a court will almost certainly throw it out.

I am not going to explain the doctrine for you I'm afraid. For that reason, you are free to continue presenting the viewpoint that the pastor has such a defence. I will continue to argue that the defence does not avail the pastor on the known facts.

cool

My apologies if you found any of my responses insulting. That was not intended. My intention is to have a light-hearted discussion, believing that there's no need to draw daggers. One person may be right and another may be wrong. It's not the end of the world. On volenti, while I would have loved to read your explanation, it's also OK if you want to leave it at that. I went back and checked and found out that nothing in my position is wrong. If anything, it's in your responses that I find some holes, e.g., basing your case only on known facts, as though those are the only relevant facts. The normal way of conducting a particular activity is relevant in determining whether the victim voluntarily consented to it, not just what happened on that day. Also you introduced contributory negligence, which I do not see how it helps your argument or how it does not run counter to your initial assertion that the girl would win the case, since contributory negligence only weakens or even defeats a victim's case in some places. I would also think that if you assert or allege a fact - that I stated the law inaccurately - that the burden is on you to prove your assertion. Not the other way round. Under any commonal law jurisdiction.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can A Good Atheist Make Heaven? / Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome / Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.