Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,695 members, 7,820,428 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

Who Is An Educated Man? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who Is An Educated Man? (24285 Views)

At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? / Difference Between A LEARNED And An EDUCATED Person. / The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is An Educated Man? by Nobody: 3:00am On Dec 21, 2011
Your thoughts please.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Afam4eva(m): 3:09am On Dec 21, 2011
A man who's educated in anything. Please be specific.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Nobody: 3:33am On Dec 21, 2011
Can one be considered educated without degrees?
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Afam4eva(m): 10:21am On Dec 21, 2011
The best form of education comes without a degree.

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by MissyB3(f): 10:54am On Dec 21, 2011
afam4eva:

The best form of education comes without a degree.
Such as?
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Afam4eva(m): 2:41pm On Dec 21, 2011
Missy_B:

Such as?

The education we obtain from our day to day life.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by superior1: 3:59pm On Dec 22, 2011
educated man, how?. Nobody is educated in everything now, if you say learned man maybe you for make more sense
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by ak47mann(m): 4:01pm On Dec 22, 2011
Their are difference b/w an educated person and common sense,which our leaders lack in Nigeria.being an educated person is one thing applying common sense is another,i was arguing with some lawyers in  one their chamber in Lagos last year,they were saying that most Nigerian politicians are not educated that's why they don't no how to handle their sensitive positions like their western counterpart,i laughed i say to them that is not so,even the ones that you believe they are educated still messing up and the country is lacking behind badly.

In house of LORDS in UK most of them don't have a degree,but play a vital role making laws and keeping a check on government.They got common sense,is not by qualification Nigeria needs to think out of the box and apply common sense for the country to meet up.

Facebook drop out

bill gate drop out

these two guys alone can buy Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by beknown(m): 4:01pm On Dec 22, 2011
afam4eva:

The education we obtain from our day to day life.

That cannot be classified as education, it is life experience.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by beknown(m): 4:02pm On Dec 22, 2011
An Educated Man is a man who has been to school (or a form of structured training), gained a qualification and he is able to apply his learning in real world situation.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by bigshow123: 4:02pm On Dec 22, 2011
a man who respects and will never physically abuse a woman
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by nagoma(m): 4:05pm On Dec 22, 2011
In house of LORDS in UK most of them don't have a degree,but play a vital role making laws and keeping a check on government.They got common sense,is not by qualification Nigeria needs to think out of the box and apply common sense for the country to meet up.

I see some insight coming to some of my countrymen - wel done !
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by newacca: 4:11pm On Dec 22, 2011
A man who have skills in using his common sense to produce extra ordinary results. Also,someone who can handle his finances without the service of financial officer/Accountant. Someone who has financial education is also an educated man. with or without degree. GBAM!
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Dawdy(m): 4:13pm On Dec 22, 2011
Every body is ignorant, only in different subjects.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by slingfox: 4:15pm On Dec 22, 2011
@ ak47man

These drop outs you mentioned own/ran companies that consistently recruit the best engineers out of the worlds best universities. If Facebook and Microsoft were filled with dropouts then maybe you'd have a point.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Dec 22, 2011
An educated fellow is one who is able to separate religious life from social laws, one who believe in "live and let live", who doesn't force his opinions on others and respect their wishes if it even collides with his.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by babaowo: 4:25pm On Dec 22, 2011
There are millions illiterate degree older in nigeria who think they are  educated.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by mikron(m): 4:27pm On Dec 22, 2011
person wey go school.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by ak47mann(m): 4:30pm On Dec 22, 2011
slingfox:

@ ak47man

These drop outs you mentioned own/ran companies that consistently recruit the best engineers out of the worlds best universities. If Facebook and Microsoft were filled with dropouts then maybe you'd have a point.
so why cant those engineers from the best universities invent and employ people for a change?when you look at it you will still see that being creative is a great talent on it own,than going to universities and study engineering which will give you the knowledge to work for Microsoft.

Because engineers and scientist are often confuse to the public,with the former being closer to applied science. While scientists explore nature in order to discover general principles, engineers apply established principles drawn from science in order to create new inventions and improve upon the old ones.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by ak47mann(m): 4:31pm On Dec 22, 2011
babaowo:

There are millions illiterate degree older in nigeria who think they are  educated.
correct!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Okijajuju1(m): 4:32pm On Dec 22, 2011
Person wey dey enlightened.

Education varies. Formal and informal.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Bolt2011(m): 4:36pm On Dec 22, 2011
An EDUCATED MAN is one whose mind is open and receptive to knowledge, whether formal or informal. Whose degrees and experiences are not used for dubious and criminal purposes but channeled towards personal and societal development. NOT A BOKO HARAM!!!

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Deage(m): 4:42pm On Dec 22, 2011
Quoting the words of Napoleon Hill in his book; THINK AND GROW RICH. "The word education is derived from the Latin word 'educo', meaning to educe, to draw out, to develop from within. An educated man is not, necessarily, one who has an abundance of general or specialized knowledge. An educated man is one who has so developed the faculties of his mind that he may acquire anything he wants, or its equivalent without violating the rights of others. Any man is educated who knows where to get knowledge when he needs it, and how to organize that knowledge into definite plans of action". The words of this great man have I cherished and nurtured, that over time, I have come know that education is far bigger than what we see inside our citadels of learning. We, especially in Nigeria acquire specialized knowledge, partially organize it to pass our examinations and get certificates, but we barely apply this knowledge which is the hallmark of all new knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by HISchild: 4:44pm On Dec 22, 2011
Without question and of a truth -
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever." - Psa 111:10; "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." - Prov 9:10

====
"Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:" -1 Co 2:6
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by adventisty: 4:49pm On Dec 22, 2011
An educated man is someone who is able to solve his day today challenges of life!
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Yorisb: 4:52pm On Dec 22, 2011
An educated Man = YORISB. wink

Blom Blom!
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Dec 22, 2011
HISchild:

Without question and of a truth -
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever." - Psa 111:10; "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." - Prov 9:10

====
"Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:" -1 Co 2:6

So you'd call pastors and spiritual leaders educated?
Is education, by your scriptures, limited to Christianity?

Thankz Seun for putting this on front page. Early Xmas gift for me, cheesy
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Dec 22, 2011
[b]education is not the same as schooling. when you are schooled, you learn to read and write, and they prepare you to pass exams, but all this doesnt leave the corridors of the class rooms. real education comes from day to day experience, discipline, self-awareness, intuition, and the ability to learn daily, and THE ABILITY TO APPLY THESE GARNERED PRINCIPLES.

The difference between our western educated counterparts, and the Nigerian graduate is this:
1. their education system is built on practical, hands on, upgraded based on new challenges, and doing its best to be at pace with the ever changing world. Going to the whiteman school opens your eyes to possibilities. It horns your abilities, and changes your perception of life and the world. problems becomes opportunities and not curses that DRIVE EVERY NIGERIAN TO PASTORS AND IMAMS AS WELL AS SPIRITUALISTS.

2. In the other hand, our education here if not just a copy and paste, download and offload spate, does not in anyway prepare us for the real world. I was in the office last year when 3 cute NYSC girls came to my office. Then we needed an accountant, we one happens to be. I told her to sell herself to me, and the girl turned to stone. She had no inkling of idea what SELLING means. I was enraged, but later when our boss and mentor heard about the melee, he just grinned and said: the Nigerian Education System is a slaughter house where your originality and zeal gets crushed. And those lecturers do their best to intimadate you up to the extent you lose the last drop of self-confidence.

Its hard to find any Educated Nigerian. All you just need to do is look around. So many graduates, and it keeps getting worse. We need a complete overhaul or Re-engineer and Dynamic transformation to fix this problem.[/b]
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by bigbish: 5:00pm On Dec 22, 2011
Educated man means One who has the ability to behave in such a way that will not hurt other peoples feelings.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Dec 22, 2011
aasog1:

[b]education is not the same as schooling. when you are schooled, you learn to read and write, and they prepare you to pass exams, but all this doesnt leave the corridors of the class rooms. real education comes from day to day experience, discipline, self-awareness, intuition, and the ability to learn daily, and THE ABILITY TO APPLY THESE GARNERED PRINCIPLES.

The difference between our western educated counterparts, and the Nigerian graduate is this:
1. their education system is built on practical, hands on, upgraded based on new challenges, and doing its best to be at pace with the ever changing world. Going to the whiteman school opens your eyes to possibilities. It horns your abilities, and changes your perception of life and the world. problems becomes opportunities and not curses that DRIVE EVERY NIGERIAN TO PASTORS AND IMAMS AS WELL AS SPIRITUALISTS.

2. In the other hand, our education here if not just a copy and paste, download and offload spate, does not in anyway prepare us for the real world. I was in the office last year when 3 cute NYSC girls came to my office. Then we needed an accountant, we one happens to be. I told her to sell herself to me, and the girl turned to stone. She had no inkling of idea what SELLING means. I was enraged, but later when our boss and mentor heard about the melee, he just grinned and said: the Nigerian Education System is a slaughter house where your originality and zeal gets crushed. And those lecturers do their best to intimadate you up to the extent you lose the last drop of self-confidence.

Its hard to find any Educated Nigerian. All you just need to do is look around. So many graduates, and it keeps getting worse. We need a complete overhaul or Re-engineer and Dynamic transformation to fix this problem.[/b]

GOD BLESS YOU SIR.

One who understands the underlying reasons this thread was opened.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Mgbele1: 5:10pm On Dec 22, 2011
The  concept of an Educated man is someone who knows the Culture of his land. It does not really matter if the aquisition of this knowlegde was within the four walls of a University or not. In otherwords with or without Degree. If one has a degree to show for your Education ,fine.If not,so long as one can show absolute knowlegde of the Culture of his land,that person should be counted as an Educated person.
Thanks
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by indoorlove(m): 5:17pm On Dec 22, 2011
An educated man is one who is always ready to act when needed, think before acting,manage to act in an imperfect environment, and introduce ideals that will not only be of his personal interest but also the interest of the society he lives. ( just my own definition)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Investigations On The Alleged "New Jamb Eligibility Regulation" / Why Do Nigerian Students Fail Jamb Exams? / Yosi Yusuf: Gombe State College Of Education Student Murdered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.