Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,811 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:42 PM

Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt (24150 Views)

11 State Varsities Shun ASUU, FG Threatens Unions / Nigerian Govt Threatens ASUU; Begins Registration Of Rival Union / ASUU Strike:-Ambrose Alli University Management Attacks Chapters ASUU With Thugs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by IamDietiesGod: 6:53am On Oct 08, 2022
The Federal Government has threatened to sue the striking lecturers, who are members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities if they fail to resume as ruled by the National Industrial Court.

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, who issued this threat on Friday during an interview monitored on Channel TV, disclosed that he had directed labour controllers to monitor compliance at all tertiary institutions across the states.

He said, “The court says ASUU must obey today (Friday). I have asked labour controllers in the 36 states and the zones to reach out to the universities; number one, to see if the vice chancellors have opened the gates because that is one of the imports of the judgment of the Industrial Court.

“You must open the gates, you must open the class rooms and to see whether those workers, those teachers reported today, tomorrow Friday and Saturday. My labour controllers will write me a report.

“The Education Ministry through the NUC will also do their bit and we will compare it. By Tuesday, if they have complied with this, first, they will have the right to appeal as the court says.

“If they come back to their classroom, they will have time to attach evidence and do their appeal. My labour controllers will also give me things to support education in the country. If they don’t, go and read that portion of the NICN Act, they will be charged for contempt,” he said.

Meanwhile, the ASUU has said it will study the ruling of the appeal court which ordered its members to return back to work.

The union’s national president, Professor Emmanuel Osodeke reacted on behalf of the union.

Saturday PUNCH reports that the Court of Appeal in Abuja, on Friday, ordered the Academic Staff Union of Universities to call off its strike.

The court gave the order after dismissing the union’s application for a stay of execution of an earlier ruling of the National Industrial Court directing the university lecturers to resume work

The three-member panel of the Court of Appeal led by Hamma Barka granted the union permission to appeal the ruling of the industrial court but ruled that it must first resume work to be allowed to file the appeal.

It said should ASUU fail to re-open the universities, the permission it gave the union to appeal against the interlocutory injunction of the National Industrial Court “will be automatically vacated.”

It gave the university lecturers’ union seven days within which to file its notice of appeal against the order of the National Industrial Court.

“I am inclined to grant the application to appeal the decision of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria. But the order of the lower court shall be immediately obeyed,” the court held in its unanimous ruling.

But reacting to the court order, Osodeke said, “We will review the judgment with our lawyer and we will decide on the next step.”

The National Industrial Court had on 21 September ordered ASUU to call off the strike.

The court granted the motion on notice filed by the federal government, directing the lecturers to return to classrooms.

Ruling on the interlocutory injunction, the trial judge, Polycarp Hamman, restrained ASUU from continuing with the industrial action pending the determination of the suit filed against ASUU by the federal government.

Displeased by the ruling, the union headed to the appeal court to appeal the ruling.

It also filed a stay of execution of the ruling of the industrial court.

But the Court of Appeal ordered the striking lecturers to “immediately” call off the eight-month strike, having struck out ASUU’s application for a stay of execution of the lower court’s order.

It said it was within ASUU’s right to appeal the decision of the industrial court.

Agreeing with the Federal Government’s argument that ASUU cannot approach the appellate court with “dirty hands”, the panel held, “should the applicant fail to obey the order (of the lower court), the leave granted shall be automatically vacated.

https://punchng.com/strike-fg-threatens-ASUU-with-contempt/

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by IamDietiesGod: 6:53am On Oct 08, 2022
"Knowing when to leave may be the smartest thing anyone can learn" Burt Bacharach

"A wise man is he who knows when and how to stop" Victor Hugo

This should have been ASSU some month ago, most especially after NIC verdict,

But ASSU and their gragra, even with their suppose intellects and wisdom fail to acknowledged;

"A wise man don't need advice. Fool won't take it" Benjamin Franklin.

Moreover, Ngige does not need this charade. After all, both him (FG) and ASSU are bird of a feather. Mad people.

63 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by money121(m): 6:54am On Oct 08, 2022
Wahala
Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by Youngwiz71(m): 6:55am On Oct 08, 2022
No need for threat, they have been cornered already

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by whizzler: 7:00am On Oct 08, 2022
Youngwiz71:
No need for threat, they have been cornered already

Clear and simple, Falana keep deceiving them

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by Whitecoal711: 7:02am On Oct 08, 2022
Are they themselves compliance

2 Likes

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by Anigreat: 7:03am On Oct 08, 2022
shocked

ASUU have no choice than to resume immediately. They foolishly fight a battle that they can never never win . I pity the students sha

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by itsRhamzy: 7:16am On Oct 08, 2022
I used to support ASUU but it seems ASUUs selfishness have driven them to their Waterloo this time around.
I support this move by Ngige and the FG should be prepared to replace any mumu lecturer found wanting or not discharging their duties well.

What exactly is their problem? Went in strike for 9 months in 2020 and they still got paid for those months. Went on strike again 2022 for over 8 months and counting and they still want to be paid 8 months salaries as usual but I'm happy FG is calling their bluff to deal with them. No union is allowed to be a pain in the as$ of the people and government anywhere in the world.

The students have lost 8 months of their lives for ASUUs agitations, they also lost 8 months out of the rents they've paid in their respective campuses, that's enough sacrifice anyone could make yet ASUU doesn't want to sacrifice anything not even their salaries and instead, they're here threatening they won't lecture and using students as blackmail cos they won't be receiving the free 8 months salaries they looked forward to. FG should be prepared to fire any lecturer that as much as not carry out his/her duties well. Nonsense.

131 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by MEGA4BILLION(m): 7:37am On Oct 08, 2022
Who said he who fights and runs away lives to fight another day.

ASUU will call off the strike only to embark on another one after few weeks

Ebubu:
they will simply be proscribed. you think you can be anti-government

And you think CONUA is anything different from ASUU? Just give them time.
If FG proscribe ASUU, the same lecturers that were in ASUU will move to CONUA and continue their agitation. Ngige isn't smart, to proscribe and register CONUA is tantamount to emptying kaikai into a bottle of Fanta.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by Ebubu: 8:17am On Oct 08, 2022
MEGA4BILLION:
Who said he who fights and runs away lives to fight another day.

ASUU will call off the strike only to embark on another one after few weeks
they will simply be proscribed. you think you can be anti-government

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by Ebubu: 8:18am On Oct 08, 2022
itsRhamzy:
I used to support ASUU but it seems ASUUs selfishness have driven them to their Waterloo this time around.
I support this move by Ngige and the FG should be prepared to replace any mumu lecturer found wanting or not discharging their duties well.

What exactly is their problem? Went in strike for 9 months in 2020 and they still got paid for those months. Went on strike again 2022 for over 8 months and counting and they still want to be paid 8 months salaries as usual but I'm happy FG is calling their bluff to deal with them. No union is allowed to be a pain in the as$ of the people and government anywhere in the world.

The students have lost 8 months of their lives for ASUUs agitations, they also lost 8 months out of the rents they've paid in their respective campuses, that's enough sacrifice anyone could make yet ASUU doesn't want to sacrifice anything not even their salaries and instead, they're here threatening they won't lecture and using students as blackmail cos they won't be receiving the free 8 months salaries they looked forward to. FG should be prepared to fire any lecturer that as much as not carry out his/her duties well. Nonsense.
i support you

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by BadGenius(m): 8:29am On Oct 08, 2022
Very useless union.

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by System202: 8:56am On Oct 08, 2022
This Ngige_buhari has created more problem to the university system than finding solutions they have already killed education now in nigeria, those uchins up their supporting directionless government bcs of one malu's ambition don't know what is coming for them. to Buhari u can force a horse to river but u can't force it drink water.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by dex4sure: 9:21am On Oct 08, 2022
Is high time fg scrap this shitty union that finds joy in wasting students' time just for there own selfish interest.....ASUU are not fighting for the betterment of any university or its students...it's just for there own selfish interest. We all know that. Fg should just deregister them

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by itsRhamzy: 9:36am On Oct 08, 2022
System202:
This Ngige_buhari has created more problem to the university system than finding solutions they have already killed education now in nigeria, those uchins up their supporting directionless government bcs of one malu's ambition don't know what is coming for them. to Buhari u can force a horse to river but u can't force it drink water.
No one is begging you to work by force. If you're not happy working with the FG, resign and go look for work elsewhere. Don't come here and complicate students lives by making them spend extra years in school for your own sake. Our universities must open right now with or without any striking lecturers. Nonsense.

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by seunlayi(m): 9:44am On Oct 08, 2022
Nothing for ASUU than to resume disgracefully after missing the opportunity to resume with honour in the past few weeks.

I prefer govt should focus more on primary and secondary schools more, they need attention now than those universities.

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by seunlayi(m): 9:45am On Oct 08, 2022
itsRhamzy:
No one is begging you to work by force. If you're not happy working with the FG, resign and go look for work elsewhere. Don't come here and complicate students lives by making them spend extra years in school for your own sake. Our universities must open right now with or without any striking lecturers. Nonsense.

Abi naw. Let me add this.
Do you know most of this ASUU members owned private business or at least, employed assistants like drivers, house helps, gardener,etc where they don't joke with attendance and punctuality of their workers. Try any irregularities, they will prove to you they know economics more than Alfred Marshall or Adam Smith by deducting your salary or wages not to talk of you having the mind to challenge them with strikes.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by Masturbator2020: 9:46am On Oct 08, 2022
IamDietiesGod:
"Knowing when to leave may be the smartest thing anyone can learn" Burt Bacharach

"A wise man is he who knows when and how to stop" Victor Hugo

This should have been ASSU some month ago, most especially after NIC verdict,

But ASSU and their gragra, even with their supposed intellects and wisdom fail to acknowledged;

"A wise man don't need advice. Fool won't take it" Benjamin Franklin.

Moreover, Ngige does not need this charade. After all, both him (FG) and ASSU are bird of a feather. Mad people.
Bully,fg newest tactics. Foolish people

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by seunlayi(m): 9:48am On Oct 08, 2022
System202:
can you tell this to your boss? grin grin grin cheesy
ASUU don bite Wetin pass am. This striking pattern for demands must STOP. lol, they may not even receive their salaries sef grin grin grin cheesy

Do you know most of this ASUU members owned private business or at least, employed assistants like drivers, house helps, gardener,etc where they don't joke with attendance and punctuality of their workers. Try any irregularities, they will prove to you they know economics more than Alfred Marshall or Adam Smith by deducting your salary or wages not to talk of you having the mind to challenge them with strikes.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by seunlayi(m): 9:51am On Oct 08, 2022
itsRhamzy:

Well said. I have 2 rents wasted for my children still in University to renew by December, who will compensate me? No work no pay must be effected.

54 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by Stephenmoka4(m): 10:22am On Oct 08, 2022
seunlayi:

Well said. I have 2 rents wasted for my children still in University to renew by December, who will compensate me? No work no pay must be effected.
2 rents! you parents are trying oo. God bless ona for us... Rents are expensive these days.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by Smile4me01(m): 10:30am On Oct 08, 2022
This administration has succeeded in killing education sector in other to promote their private university i pity those who supporting this evil government no lecturer can lecture students rightly without good state of mind the psychological capital must be there in other for the lecturer to impact quality knowledge to students.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by Fbboyo: 11:27am On Oct 08, 2022
ASUU has lost our sympathy, too much of everything is bad, whatever action the FG takes on you people is highly welcomed by us, lecturers that are out there to frustrate the lives of students. That is why most students don't value their lecturers the way they value their primary and secondary school teachers.

45 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by System202: 1:00pm On Oct 08, 2022
seunlayi:
can you tell this to your boss? grin grin grin cheesy
ASUU don bite Wetin pass am. This striking pattern for demands must STOP. lol, they may not even receive their salaries sef grin grin grin cheesy

If they did not receive their salaries its students that will be at the receiving end

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by System202: 1:07pm On Oct 08, 2022
itsRhamzy:

The government are elected to improve standards of living, education and so on for citizens, and this Buhari government failed in all that, if it were in sane countries he would have resigned or impeached but bcs its in nigeria uchins are even supporting him

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by Nobody: 1:31pm On Oct 08, 2022
itsRhamzy:

But there is one Budaatum who will disagree with you?

Let's wait

ASUU (Association of Quack Professors)

Mr Learned

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by JJuanMiguel: 1:35pm On Oct 08, 2022
System202:

If they did not receive their salaries its students that will be at the receiving end
What will they do that they haven't done before?
They haven't started lamenting about empty stomachs when they have been chanting " A is for God, B is for me" from many years ago

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 08, 2022
seunlayi:

Watch Out!

One Budaatum Will Attack you now...

Meanwhile my own rent is EXPIRING this Month angry (Will ASUU Renew my Rent) ...
I should be GRADUATING by December (God's Grace), But the Useless Board of Quack Professors won't Allow the Students sad

Mr Learned

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by JJuanMiguel: 1:38pm On Oct 08, 2022
System202:

The government are elected to improve standards of living, education and so on for citizens, and this Buhari government failed in all that, if it were in sane countries he would have resigned or impeached but bcs its in nigeria uchins are even supporting him
So is the constant wasting of students time the remedy to that?
What have they achieved with the 8 months they've wasted so far other than to force the government to increase their salaries?

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by itsRhamzy: 1:45pm On Oct 08, 2022
System202:

the FG has granted increment of salaries of lecturers in this current debacle. Tell us, what is your problem still? Why do you keep on frustrating students wasting their precious time away?

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by itsRhamzy: 1:54pm On Oct 08, 2022
System202:

salaries for what? Did you work for the 8 months you sat at home shutting down universities? I ask again salaries for what? The students are already suffering and paying for your own decisions to shut down schools and there's absolutely nothing left you can do that is new, and how do you intend paying the students who have lost almost a year rent? How do you intend to compensate some students that'll no longer be eligible for NYSC? You see that's where the problem is, you're talking about your own benefits but nothing concerns you with the students and what they've lost.

If Government job isn't conducive for you there's always the exit to use. Leave lecturing job and go find work elsewhere where all your demands will be met.. Don't come here threatening our students after forcing them to sit at home for close to a year wasting their time away.

I'm not a Buhari fan but before leaving next year, Buhari should kindly make it possible in the law to forfeit salaries of any striking body after three months. If Buhari can do that, he'll be praised by parents whose children have suffered in the hands of ASUUs agitations. That'll teach you overzealous lecturers what to expect when you decide on wasting student's time again. Nonsense.

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Strike: FG Threatens ASUU With Contempt by sreamsense: 3:17pm On Oct 08, 2022
System202:

Are you the only union government is elected to improve its standard? You hide under canopy of fighting for students when truely you are fighting for yourselves in selfishness.

It is never by force to work as lecturers if you think the money is too small. Since you know politician are getting jumbo pay, why not go to where you know money is in politics instead of constituting nonsense into our institutions? Prof, doctors, engineers are also in politics, go and join them instead and let those young and vibrants that want to work and satisfy with the pay get recruited. After all many of you are only collecting salary without being productive.

Research that will attract funds from organizations, you can not do except publishing students' copied work, teaching, majority of lecturers can not transfer knowledge to younger generations because many of you never work in the industries for one day before comming into academic which make many of you transfer so dull knowledge to students graduating on yearly basis without basic relevant skills from so called ASSU-universities.

Now, you just want to get your own national cake by force and thereby ends up putting yourselves at ridicule. Now, to embark on another strike in the future now will attract shame and ridicule from masses. Your wings have been cut

16 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

CRUTECH Student & Nursing Mother Electrocuted In Calabar / ABU Sacks Professor For Intimate Harassment / (18+) The Japanese Unclad Art Class Photos & Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.