Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,486 members, 7,770,186 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:56 AM

How To Prepare Stew - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Prepare Stew (69852 Views)

Christmas Stew Got Burnt Because I Was Carried Away By A Movie"caroline Shoes" / Please Teach Me How to Prepare Stew With Fish Or Meat / How To Prepare Stew (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Prepare Stew by oyie(f): 10:21am On Oct 06, 2007
@ nwando

u can learnt to swim in their stew.the only thing i find manage-able is the pepper.the palm oil they pack is horrible! undecided

@numen
thats my style too
Re: How To Prepare Stew by redsun(m): 5:11pm On Oct 06, 2007
@ibis,i have always tried to crack the sour taste of stew but to no avail.I will give your tip a try,thanks.
Re: How To Prepare Stew by 1forall: 7:35pm On Oct 06, 2007
To the first poster: You dont need tomato puree (tinned tomatoes) to cook a delicious stew. Just use fresh ingredients, and 1 good ol' Knorr (or Maggi) cube. Try it!
Re: How To Prepare Stew by omoge25(f): 8:08am On Oct 07, 2007
1forall:

To the first poster: You don't need tomato puree (tinned tomatoes) to cook a delicious stew. Just use fresh ingredients, and 1 good ol' Knorr (or Maggi) cube. Try it!

this is actually how one of my roommates makes stew, no tin tomatoes and no water and it does come out nicely too, but i dont cook it like this because tatashe is expensive one is $2.99 I've seen it for as much as $3.50 and she will put like 5 or 6 in one pot of stew, i cant spend that much on one ingreident.
Re: How To Prepare Stew by omoge(f): 12:39am On Oct 08, 2007
omoge25, true and i'm yet to come across the real tatashe with its dinstinct scent (like we have over nigeria).

I don't cook my tomatoe for stew unless I'm making Jollof rice. excessive cooking of tomatoe is not good.
Re: How To Prepare Stew by Nobody: 12:46am On Oct 08, 2007
omoge how now grin
Re: How To Prepare Stew by omoge(f): 12:47am On Oct 08, 2007
i dey ooo. i dey kampe grin. how u dey?
Re: How To Prepare Stew by Nobody: 12:52am On Oct 08, 2007
your brother don show me alligator pepper.
see how i dey waka nicodemously
Re: How To Prepare Stew by omoge(f): 1:12am On Oct 08, 2007
lol
grin
Re: How To Prepare Stew by Veracious(f): 2:25pm On Oct 08, 2007
Nice recipes you all have in here,but i would like to add that some find it difficult to boil the grinded/blended tomato because of the time it takes to dry.

here is mine Recipe:

Get very ripe and fresh tomato,fresh papper and red onion,tin tomato,curry,thyme,nutmeg,seasoning of your choice,meat,fish,chicken or turkey as you so desired.

method:

wash the tomato and pepper and tatashe put into a dry pot and put on your stove reduced heat don't add water,cover and allow to simmer, the heat will bring out the water in the tomato and when its dried remove from pot and allow to cool,blend and set aside and you will have a thick tomato paste in just 15min.boil your meat or fish with thyme curry salt onion maggi and nutmeg when done fry(not too dry) and set aside. wipe your pot clean, add vegetable oil of your choice allow to heat properly then add your onion stir fry when translucent put in your tin tomato fry to reduce the strong taste then add your tomato puree allow to fry for some minutes by stiring continuosly afterwhich you add your curry thyme and meat not fish and continue to fry for about 3min then you can add some stock not all to help in the cooking process allow to cook for some few minute then you add your seasoning(maggi)cover and simmer with the heat turn low to prevent burning,taste and serve on your boiled rice with fried plantain.
Re: How To Prepare Stew by nawa1(m): 1:34pm On Oct 09, 2007
it's very sad to read all this post to discovered that none of the posters here can cook. too bad.
Re: How To Prepare Stew by Veracious(f): 11:22am On Oct 10, 2007
na wa can you pls show us a better way of making stew.
Re: How To Prepare Stew by freelancer(m): 3:17pm On Oct 10, 2007
If you feel they can't cook, teach us and let us know how you make yours!
Re: How To Prepare Stew by rexfx2: 10:28am On Oct 12, 2007
Jehovaaaa my Father, see as unahhhh just de make ma mouth de water,

Freelancer no mind Na Wa, her/his name alone self de hail all d recipe.

@ Poster, i hope ur potin all this recipies to practice? If u r, hit me on ma digits so i'd be d judge wink wink wink
Re: How To Prepare Stew by nawa1(m): 10:55am On Oct 12, 2007
i'm just too busy to put my recipe in typing and post here for now. but you shall read from me soon. i promise
Re: How To Prepare Stew by rexfx2: 11:16am On Oct 12, 2007
na wa:

i'm just too busy to put my recipe in typing and post here for now. but you shall read from me soon. i promise

abi oooo, u have all d time 2 reply posts but u lack d tym 2 pst a recipe, shows how difficult posting one could be, to you.

na real waaaa for u
Re: How To Prepare Stew by nawa1(m): 11:53am On Oct 12, 2007
let me tell you one thing about cooking.

cooking is not just about. . .boil your fresh tomato, heat the veg oil, fry the onion, add the pre-boiled tomato, then the tin tomato, add salt, seasoning, curry e.t.c.

cooking is about, patience, proper organization of your ingredient and condiment, timely addition of all the condiment and most importantly, making good use of your sense of smell.

i was about posting my recipe, but seeing your post i decided to answer you first. now duty has called, so see you later.

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Stew by freelancer(m): 12:48pm On Oct 12, 2007
@na wa

na real wa for you. We're still waiting for you.
Re: How To Prepare Stew by tomX1(m): 10:50pm On Oct 12, 2007
@Poster
There are many solutions to your problems but the tastiest I've tried was taught me by I friend. I was skeptical until I tried it. It is still my most Prefered Way of Making Stew.

You may use all the standard ingredients you will usualy use for your stew but the trick is this:
Tommatoes actualy have a sour under taste and this tend to reflect in the tase of your stew. How much it Shows depends on how fresh or sour your tommatoes have gone. Boycott the fresh tomatoes all together and use the big sweet pepers instaed. The ones they call Tatashe (You know the sort you can use to garnish fried rice, they have very few seeds in them, almost non-pepery, and have a sweet taste). Use the red variety to replace you frsh tommatoes. Blend them and use them instead. Prepare your stew the regular way. The difference Will be remarkable.
Note that you will still need to use normal peper since the variety described above in not pepery.
Enjoy.
Re: How To Prepare Stew by rexfx2: 2:11pm On Oct 13, 2007
no be small wa o? Big one--
I'd rather fail in posting a recipe than critisizing d person/people that did and not even posting one at all.
Tu fia kwaa
Re: How To Prepare Stew by mellow(m): 2:45pm On Oct 13, 2007
I have assembled Panel of judges or is it Jury of Panels to judge all y'all.

You are going to be judged according to recipee you posted. Happy judgement.
[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]
Re: How To Prepare Stew by Leilah(f): 2:34am On Oct 16, 2007
nutmeg adds a sweet distingtive flavour
Re: How To Prepare Stew by Nobody: 1:13am On Oct 17, 2007
nutmeg in stew? shocked shocked shocked
are you cooking stew or chin chin?
Re: How To Prepare Stew by omoge(f): 1:23am On Oct 17, 2007
nwando:

nutmeg in stew? shocked shocked shocked
are you cooking stew or chin chin?

Puzzled me too undecided

cinnamon will be next in stew.
Re: How To Prepare Stew by freelancer(m): 12:18pm On Oct 19, 2007
That will be something! grin
Re: How To Prepare Stew by Nobody: 2:24am On Oct 20, 2007
stew-chin
Re: How To Prepare Stew by almondjoy(f): 7:24am On Oct 21, 2007
Leilah:

You are so right! Good for Jollof Rice so good for stew! wink Use it all the time!
Re: How To Prepare Stew by bibiking1(m): 5:12pm On Oct 21, 2007

God help us men o!!!!!
these days women we wil marry will only lead us to the dark world of eating outside.
haba!!!!! nutmeg?

If i marry you now, na for fastfood joint i go dey get my daily meals abi?
Re: How To Prepare Stew by almondjoy(f): 11:09am On Oct 23, 2007
bibiking1:

God help us men o!!!!!
these days women we wil marry will only lead us to the dark world of eating outside.
haba!!!!! nutmeg?

If i marry you now, na for fastfood joint i go dey get my daily meals abi?

When you eat agoyin jollof rice--you no know say nutmeg dey for inside?  shocked Look at this people?

Please you guys should do yourselves a favour and hang around agoyin cooks!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!  You guys really do not know much or cook much at all! You might learn a thing or two! Cheers!

Orisirisi!  Ignorance is bliss.  No wonder most are still single and others threatening to divorce! grin

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Stew by Leilah(f): 4:12am On Nov 03, 2007
Well I got this from my sister in law who is an igbo lady and she puts little bit nutmeg in while cooking the meat and it takes the sourness away.
Re: How To Prepare Stew by Leilah(f): 4:14am On Nov 03, 2007
If you take time out to read varacious's reply above she also adds nutmeg
Re: How To Prepare Stew by Nobody: 10:12pm On Nov 03, 2007
I will try the nutmeg
but if i give my guests "running stomach"
I'm coming after you people, especially almondjoy grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Guys! See The Lunch I Wasted 1700 For. Abeg, Ill Rather Cook My Meals Henceforth / The Big Rat My Dog Caught Overnight / Aju Mbaise For Flat Tummy

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.