Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,855 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre (14781 Views)

President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline / The Economist On Naija Fuel Subsidies / Okonjo-iweala Announces Fuel Subsidies Will Be Removed - GEJ Please Sack Her Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by Nobody: 4:28pm On Dec 29, 2011
votes) Ghana has cut fuel subsidies following an increase in crude oil prices and the depreciation of the Ghana cedi currency, the Chief Executive Officer of Ghana's National Petroleum Authority, Alex Mould, said in a statement on Thursday. Reuters reports that Ghana, which joined the club of oil producers in West Africa last year, has come under increased pressure from the International Monetary Fund to remove the fuel subsidies. The IMF has urged countries across West and Central Africa to cut fuel subsidies, which they say are not effective in directly aiding the poor, but do promote corruption and smuggling. The past months have seen governments in Nigeria, Guinea, Cameroon and Chad moving to cut state subsidies on fuel. Mould said the cumulative effect of the rise in crude oil prices this year and the about 5.7 per cent depreciation of the cedi meant a 25 per cent increase in cedi terms in the cost of procuring crude oil and petroleum products since January. Mould said Ghana had spent about 450 million cedis (N 44,725,608,210.76) on fuel subsidies in 2011. The price change effective from December 29, will see the cost of Liquefied Petroleum Gas increase by 30 per cent while petrol and diesel will go up 15 per cent at pump. Mould said the NPA would be monitoring crude oil prices and will not to increase or decrease pump prices if the average crude price stay within the $ 107-110 per barrel range. Brent crude rose 4 cents to $107.60 a barrel by 0933 GMT on Thursday after falling nearly $2 the day before, while the Ghana cedi was trading at 1.6370/95 to the US dollar. Ghana's Minister for Finance Kwabena Duffour said the removal of subsidies would have a positive impact on Ghana's economy. By this increase, according to the NPA, the price of petrol to GNp175.48 (N184.972) per litre; diesel is now GHp 177.09 per litre ((N186.668); while LPG will go up by 30 per cent at GHp 136.19 per kilo (N143.765). This means a 12.5 kg gas cylinder will now sell at GHc17.02 (N1,796.76) while a 14.5 kg cylinder will sell at GHc19.75 (N2,084.96). The prices of kerosene, premix fuel and Renewable Fuel Oil (RFO) remain unchanged. Read 617 times | Like this? Tweet it to your followers! Published in NEWS Tagged under Ghana cuts fuel subsidies fuel rises to N184 per
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by VoodooDoll(m): 4:51pm On Dec 29, 2011
ogbeche77:

Ghana has cut fuel subsidies following an increase in crude oil prices and the depreciation of the Ghana cedi currency, the Chief Executive Officer of Ghana's National Petroleum Authority, Alex Mould, said in a statement on Thursday.

Reuters reports that Ghana, which joined the club of oil producers in West Africa last year, has come under increased pressure from the International Monetary Fund to remove the fuel subsidies. The IMF has urged countries across West and Central Africa to cut fuel subsidies, which they say are not effective in directly aiding the poor, but do promote corruption and smuggling.

The past months have seen governments in Nigeria, Guinea, Cameroon and Chad moving to cut state subsidies on fuel. Mould said the cumulative effect of the rise in crude oil prices this year and the about 5.7 per cent depreciation of the cedi meant a 25 per cent increase in cedi terms in the cost of procuring crude oil and petroleum products since January. Mould said Ghana had spent about 450 million cedis (N 44,725,608,210.76) on fuel subsidies in 2011.

The price change effective from December 29, will see the cost of Liquefied Petroleum Gas increase by 30 per cent while petrol and diesel will go up 15 per cent at pump. Mould said the NPA would be monitoring crude oil prices and will not to increase or decrease pump prices if the average crude price stay within the $ 107-110 per barrel range. Brent crude rose 4 cents to $107.60 a barrel by 0933 GMT on Thursday after falling nearly $2 the day before, while the Ghana cedi was trading at 1.6370/95 to the US dollar.

Ghana's Minister for Finance Kwabena Duffour said the removal of subsidies would have a positive impact on Ghana's economy.

By this increase, according to the NPA, the price of petrol to GNp175.48 (N184.972) per litre; diesel is now GHp 177.09 per litre ((N186.668); while LPG will go up by 30 per cent at GHp 136.19 per kilo (N143.765). This means a 12.5 kg gas cylinder will now sell at GHc17.02 (N1,796.76) while a 14.5 kg cylinder will sell at GHc19.75 (N2,084.96). The prices of kerosene, premix fuel and Renewable Fuel Oil (RFO) remain unchanged. Read 617 times | Like this? Tweet it to your followers! Published in NEWS Tagged under Ghana cuts fuel subsidies fuel rises to N184 per
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by efisher(m): 5:31pm On Dec 29, 2011
And Nigerians are there dragging their feet. Swallow the bitter pill NOW lazy folks!

1 Like

Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by koruji(m): 5:38pm On Dec 29, 2011
Foolish African economies - this is the only continent where raising the price of an essential commodity by 50% is sold to the populace & believed by government officials to have a "positive" effect on the economy.

You better go to the developed economies, look at the innumerable number of subsidies they maintain, but more importantly how thorough the decision process is on any proposals to reduce or eliminate such subsidies.

Your economies that have experienced remarkable growth over the last few years are being slowed down for you.

efisher:

And Nigerians are there dragging their feet. Swallow the bitter pill NOW lazy folks!
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by Nobody: 5:46pm On Dec 29, 2011
@ Koruji But the subsidies you refer to are given to domestic manufacturers and farmers, not importers.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by efisher(m): 5:49pm On Dec 29, 2011
If we remain adamant, regional economics will have us in even worse positions than we are now with the removal of subsidy in Ghana and other neighboring countries.

Developed economies will not subsidize a commodity that cannot stimulate local growth or that doesn't have any future strategic impact on the economy. Even worse is a global commodity in a mature market. In other words, subsidies in these countries usually act as economic stimulants for long term gains.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by jmaine: 5:54pm On Dec 29, 2011
Interesting . . . .
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by koruji(m): 6:04pm On Dec 29, 2011
Correct. And that is exactly why the problem cannot, and will not, be solved solely by removing subsidies.

We would still have to pay for fuel imports in the same foreign currency as before. This is why CBN governor Sanusi Lamido's statement about losing $16 billion foreign currency to subsidies says very little. Fuel imports would still require the nation to come up with the foreign currency. Unless we plan to pay in Naira for all those other items the government is promising, they will not see the light of day. The only thing that would really change here is who pays and receives the Naira equivalence of that $16 billion, if fuel consumption remains the same.

What you can be sure of is that the price increase would impose a burden that would reduce fuel consumption and economic performance. This is the net effect on the real economy - a slow down of growth.

The real issues are deeper than our government seems to understand, but in the usual manner the proposal is simplistic and supported by allogical arguments - aka the increase in fuel prices will have positive effects on the economy.

A ray of hope is that, unlike the "big giant" Nigeria, Ghana and some of our smaller neighbours are actually making sincere efforts to produce their own products.

The issue is not whether to remove subsidies or not, but how do you go about it and under what conditions.

HNosegbe:

@ Koruji But the subsidies you refer to are given to domestic manufacturers and farmers, not importers.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by koruji(m): 6:06pm On Dec 29, 2011
Again, you are right on the initial observations. The real issue is that the government's approach will not correct the anomalies - see my previous post. The issue is deeper, the approach must be equally deep and thorough.

efisher:

If we remain adamant, regional economics will have us in even worse positions than we are now with the removal of subsidy in Ghana and other neighboring countries.

Developed economies will not subsidize a commodity that cannot stimulate local growth or that doesn't have any future strategic impact on the economy. Even worse is a global commodity in a mature market. In other words, subsidies in these countries usually act as economic stimulants for long term gains.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by russellino: 6:53pm On Dec 29, 2011
@topic - has ghana started producing oil yet. As far as i know he havent, they are still importing their fuel. Our case is different so we should be careful how we compare the two countries
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by koruji(m): 7:00pm On Dec 29, 2011
Ghana has being producing oil since 2010.

In addition, Ghana has a 40,000+ bpd refinery in Telma just outside Accra, and have a 200,000 bpd refinery in the offing.

russellino:

@topic - has ghana started producing oil yet. As far as i know he havent, they are still importing their fuel. Our case is different so we should be careful how we compare the two countries
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by Gbawe: 7:35pm On Dec 29, 2011
efisher:

Your statement is simplistic because it seeks to first defend the clamour for subsidy removal by a politician you support (GEJ). You do not view issues from a perspective of the economic realities on the ground in both Nations. Ghanaians don't buy much fuel for generators. That consideration alone means fuel for transport is the major issue for them whereas in Nigeria, many homes and businesses rely on fuel to power generators. Operating cost for businesses reliant on generator sets (virtually all) will , for example, go through the roof with 100%-125% increase in fuel price!!! This is why many keep telling GEJ that the conditions are not right to copy others ,who have it much better than us, in removing fuel subsidy !!!

Besides, fuel , per litre, has always been significantly more expensive in Ghana than Nigeria for obvious reasons. Even with subsidy removal, Ghanaians will pay 15% more for petrol and diesel. Considering that fuel is primarily used for transport purposes and that the increase in petrol and diesel is max 15%, it is obvious the influence of subsidy removal on Ghana will certainly not cause the nation to grind to a halt. How on earth can you then compare that to Nigeria where fuel subsidy removal, for a nation that relies on fuel for electrification and transportation, will mean a 100%-120% increase in pump price?

Ungracious to call Nigerians "lazy folks" when you yourself show very "lazy" thinking. The situation of Ghana is a million miles different from that of Nigeria.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by otokx(m): 7:42pm On Dec 29, 2011
And the point is
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by efisher(m): 7:51pm On Dec 29, 2011
Myopic folks keep seeing things from one perspective only. My advice: Grow up.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by Gbawe: 7:57pm On Dec 29, 2011
efisher:

You should take your own advice and man up. Why are you so cowardly in style? I have given you solid reasons, backed with statistics, for why Ghana is very different to Nigeria. They can probably afford to remove subsidy that amounts to less than £200 million yearly in total and , with petrol and diesel increasing 15%, will not cripple their nation while we cannot afford same because of how subsidy removal means a 100%-125% increase in pump price for Nigerians !!! They also have around 1.2 million vehicle plying their roads . How many vehicles do you think use Nigerian roads since you love simplistic comparisons?

I have made it very easy for everyone to immediately see my side of the argument. Why not do the same in support of your position? Why not rise above pettiness and face me[b] directly in discussing the merit of both our cases[/b] instead of this feminine handbag approach of evasive catfighting?
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by efisher(m): 8:21pm On Dec 29, 2011
@Mr. Gbawe, why do you then claim my perspective on this issue is tied to my preference in the 2011 elections. Why must it be so? Did I mention GEJ in my post? Do you think I'm that jobless to live my life around GEJ? Ever since April 2011, all you have ever done is live your life around an election that has long produced your present president. If you can't desist from labeling others with different political views from yours, there's no point discussing with you cos it leaves a bad after-taste. In fact, I'm done with you.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by koruji(m): 8:31pm On Dec 29, 2011
What are you talking about? And to whom do you refer?

efisher:

Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by efisher(m): 8:33pm On Dec 29, 2011
My intended audience has identified himself already.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by Kobojunkie: 8:36pm On Dec 29, 2011

the price of petrol to GNp175.48 (N184.972) per litre; (~ $5 a gallon)
diesel is now GHp 177.09 per litre ((N186.668);  (~ $5 a gallon)
while LPG will go up by 30 per cent at GHp 136.19 per kilo (N143.765).
This means a 12.5 kg gas cylinder will now sell at GHc17.02 (N1,796.76) while a 14.5 kg cylinder will sell at GHc19.75 (N2,084.96).

I wonder how high the price of the same would go when fuel subsidy is eventually removed.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by sheyguy: 8:42pm On Dec 29, 2011
There is notìng special abt the removal, in a country where the govt is efficient there is nothing wrong in giving the govt more money to work with, in Nigeria the govt is too inefficient to check the activities of the cabals alone, how do u give such a govt. more money and expect results.
Our govt cant just wake up and tell us that there is no oil subsidy in developed nation we aspire to be like and so we should follow suit.
The reality of Nigeria does not work with petrol subsidy removal. . . . . . . . . .
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by Gbawe: 8:42pm On Dec 29, 2011
efisher:

@Mr. Gbawe, why do you then claim my perspective on this issue is tied to my preference in the 2011 elections. Why must it be so? Did I mention GEJ in my post? Do you think I'm that jobless to live my life around GEJ? Ever since April 2011, all you have ever done is live your life around an election that has long produced your present president. If you can't desist from labeling others with different political views from yours, there's no point discussing with you cos it leaves a bad after-taste. In fact, I'm done with you.

Please show the forum where I say that. I made a point to show that , as usual and in haste to automatically defend GEJ, you are quick to be insultive ("lazy folks"wink when , if at all objective, you would do a little investigation that would show you immediately and emphatically that the situation on ground in Ghana is very different to that in Nigeria and hence not at all fit for comparison of any sort.

Furthermore, you show you are the one with prior issues with how you evade responding with solid statistics/arguments in preference for hinting vacuously that others are "myopic" and should "grow up". The only sort of people on Nairaland that need to grow up are those given to defending GEJ blindly even when , glaringly, the figures don't add up. Using what is going on in Ghana to goad the "lazy folks" of Nigeria to back GEJ's anti-people's mien is intellectually "lazy". If you genuinely raise the bar and challenge yourself , in regards to viewing issues dispassionately and with scientific logic, you will see that most of GEJ's actions you defend cannot stand up to logical scrutiny. That pro-GEJ bias is what has affected your outlook to the point you can call Nigerians "lazy folks" when it is obvious you are the lazy person here with how you compare Apples to Oranges to justify every action of GEJ.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by doctokwus: 3:32am On Dec 30, 2011
I just wonder why they easily cite non oil producing nations(excuse me but I still dnt c ghana as an oil producing nation) wen it comes to prices& conveniently 4get oil producing nations wt cheaper prices than ours.
Nobody is saying subsidy shd b there for ever but d timing& cofactors are just not ripe for its removal now.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by Beaf: 4:03am On Dec 30, 2011
efisher:

The bolded is pitiable. Nobody should be racked with so much hate.

@topic
I wonder when Nigerians will finally realise that they have been sold cheaply into slavery for N65.00 per litre petrol? I feel really pained when folk make passionate arguments to remain in economic chains, it really makes one wonder.
What sort of country subsidises consumption? All developed oil producers DO NOT subsidise fuel for consumption, its only the backward developed countries that do so; instead, they see subsidies as investments to be poured into productive areas like research, education, agriculture, health, manufacturing etc. But not Nigeria, cos everything we do is upside down.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by efisher(m): 4:52am On Dec 30, 2011
True word Beaf. Ghana has realized itself and I hope we allow Nigeria realize herself too. Developed countries subsidize things like power generation from renewable energy in order to stimulate growth. As soon as a desired threshold is reached, subsidies are cut or removed. A classic example can be seen in the Spanish power sector which experienced tremendous growth in solar power generation partly due to government subsidy. As soon as the market began to experience excessive influx, subsidies were cut. At that point, the desired objective had been met.

It is extremely foolish to subsidize a commodity / technology that can easily be transferred to other countries. Imagine China subsidizing electronic production simply because it's in abundance.

To further explain my point on regional economics, Imagine for a moment we remain at N65 and all our neighbors
Move up to N185. This will mean increased smuggling across the borders with greater profit margin for the smugglers. It will not be difficult to get past customs with an ROI of over 130% in view. This time they will even kill to get the products across. That is if the customs officials do not have their own tankers.

For those who want to politicize the issue, Gov Oshiomhole is an ACN member and former labor leader, yet he openly supports the idea knowing the benefits. Fashola has also shown his support though he is less vocal about it. Our own world renowned economic gurus like Okonjo Iweala et al have also presented very sound arguments enough for every well meaning Nigerian to consider for the greater good. If we truly mean well, we will look beyond the man supposedly behind the policy and see it as it should be seen.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by Relax101(m): 4:56am On Dec 30, 2011
People wey dey benefit from subsidy na dem dey whine for NL.
Dem go hala tire so tey dem go begin talk wetin no make sense.

How can less than 100 greedy Nigerians keep holding down the country by sharing 1trillion. haba!
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by koruji(m): 5:11am On Dec 30, 2011
You people are wasting a lot of spittle.

You keep repeating the problems with continuing to subsidize fuel in Nigeria as if anybody disagrees with you. Stop talking past Nigerians. Almost everybody agree that these subsidies are bad for the economy.

What you are being told is that GEJ's proposed approach is designed to fail like all past efforts in Nigeria - Shagari, IBB, Abacha and OBJ all tried it. It all failed for this same reason - focus on government revenue, which produces a very simplistic solution aka remove subsidies.

Even Ghana did not implement its initial subsidy removal this way. Nigeria is not Ghana - let GEJ proceed without paying attention to the other side of the ledger. We will all be here to witness the aftermath.

11 years ago during OBJ's try the article posted here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-834891.0.html spelt out what is at stake. Although times have changed and recommendations for action would need to accomodate that, much of the article fits perfectly - 11 years later!!!

efisher:

True word Beaf. Ghana has realized itself and I hope we allow Nigeria realize herself too. Developed countries subsidize things like power generation from renewable energy in order to stimulate growth. As soon as a desired threshold is reached, subsidies are cut or removed. A classic example can be seen in the Spanish power sector which experienced tremendous growth in solar power generation partly due to government subsidy. As soon as the market began to experience excessive influx, subsidies were cut. At that point, the desired objective had been met.

It is extremely foolish to subsidize a commodity / technology that can easily be transferred to other countries. Imagine China subsidizing electronic production simply because it's in abundance.

To further explain my point on regional economics, Imagine for a moment we remain at N65 and all our neighbors
Move up to N185. This will mean increased smuggling across the borders with greater profit margin for the smugglers. It will not be difficult to get past customs with an ROI of over 130% in view. This time they will even kill to get the products across. That is if the customs officials do not have their own tankers.

For those who want to politicize the issue, Gov Oshiomhole is an ACN member and former labor leader, yet he openly supports the idea knowing the benefits. Fashola has also shown his support though he is less vocal about it. Our own world renowned economic gurus like Okonjo Iweala et al have also presented very sound arguments enough for every well meaning Nigerian to consider for the greater good. If we truly mean well, we will look beyond the man supposedly behind the policy and see it as it should be seen.

Beaf:

@topic
I wonder when Nigerians will finally realise that they have been sold cheaply into slavery for N65.00 per litre petrol? I feel really pained when folk make passionate arguments to remain in economic chains, it really makes one wonder.
What sort of country subsidises consumption? All developed oil producers DO NOT subsidise fuel for consumption, its only the backward developed countries that do so; instead, they see subsidies as investments to be poured into productive areas like research, education, agriculture, health, manufacturing etc. But not Nigeria, cos everything we do is upside down.

Relax101:

How can less than 100 people in greedy Nigerians keep holding the country down by sharing 1trillion. haba!
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by ektbear: 5:29am On Dec 30, 2011
koruji:

You better go to the developed economies, look at the innumerable number of subsidies they maintain, but more importantly how thorough the decision process is on any proposals to reduce or eliminate such subsidies.
Koruji, as a fraction of GDP, these Western countries spend a lot less on subsidies than Nigeria does.

GDP of the US is nearly 15 trillion, ~60 times that of Nigeria, and Nigeria spends 8 billion a year on fuel subsidies alone.

In fact fuel is heavily taxed in the US, not subsidized.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by efisher(m): 5:36am On Dec 30, 2011
Smart talk ekt-bear.
@ Koruji, now I get your point. You agree removal of subsidy is right but the approach is wrong. In that case, going forward, what would you recommend as the best approach to removal of subsidy. Maybe if we dwell on this, I can better understand your position and I may be able to explain why the current government's approach may be different from the rest.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by koruji(m): 5:54am On Dec 30, 2011
@ekt_bear
Correct on the fraction part, but not on  the "heavilty taxed" part. The US does have a gasoline tax, but the heavy tax is in Europe not the US.

In fact, the subsidies received by oil & gas companies in recent years amounted to more than $10 billion annually. And that is not counting the ethanol subsidy, which also goes to support transport fuels http://priceofoil.org/fossil-fuel-subsidies/. When you add up all the subsidies going into gasoline and subtract the taxes collected on it in the US, the net would be close to zero.

Europe's taxes are up to 75% of the price of gasoline, and their prices can be as high as 3 times that in the US.

Again my real issue is the simplistic approach GEJ, like other past governments, is taking here - it will end up as another egg in the face of a government already struggling. This subsidy issue should have been resolved since the 1980s -and it has not, and will not, be resolved until Nigerian governments recognize they are not mere revenue collectors.

ekt_bear:

Koruji, as a fraction of GDP, these Western countries spend a lot less on subsidies than Nigeria does.

GDP of the US is nearly 15 trillion, ~60 times that of Nigeria, and Nigeria spends 8 billion a year on fuel subsidies alone.

In fact fuel is heavily taxed in the US, not subsidized.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by Gbawe: 6:09am On Dec 30, 2011
Relax101:

How can less than 100 greedy Nigerians keep holding down the country by sharing 1trillion. haba!

You should learn the truth about the whole subsidy issue before speaking ignorantly. The Major marketers , often with majority of their operation legitimate, will not be affected by subsidy removal . It is Nigerians and , at worst, the many "independent" marketers that came on board under Yar Adua and GEJ , often with no background in  the oil business, who will lose out.

You need to know the real issues instead of sounding like a country bumpkin with silly talk about "people wey dey benefit from subsidy na dem dey whine for NL". You may not have a real life or perspective beyond NL but highly simplistic to think all of us are in the same boat as you because we comment here. I personally speak only because of what subsidy removal portends for ordinary Nigeria and not because I will be affected by subsidy removal either way.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by Gbawe: 6:24am On Dec 30, 2011
Beaf:

@topic

You really should stop with this pathetic conduct of siding automatically with Nairalanders who speak against those you carry bad belle against 24/7. It makes you look like nothing but a biased cretin who , despite showboat pretense, is really an empty barrel. Efisher insulted Nigerians as "lazy folks", based on what Ghana has done, to justify the subsidy removal efforts of GEJ in Nigeria when it is very clear he is operating with a very dubious and ignorant outlook. Unlike a clown like yourself, making things up as you go along, I actually fueled a car in Ghana not too long ago to know what petrol cost firsthand and thus understand that indeed the increase today is circa 15% (i.e not unmanageable) making their scenario very different to the 100%-125% increase Nigerians will face. Factor in our heavy usage of petrol and diesel, 24/7, for electrification [/b]and it becomes even more glaring how nonsensical efishers comparison is.

My point even a clown can appreciate is that the situation for both Nations are very diffferent. Thus no comparison is logically tenable. You would not see that because, ultimately, silly e-fights , and not a fact-based outlook, is what you are all about. Like I challenged the wimpish efisher, you should also prove that what I said to him has anything to do with his political choice because it seems glaring to me that he is the only one, via comparing apples with oranges [b]and ignoring facts on the ground
, who is trying to fit square pegs in round holes because of political choices he has made.
Re: Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre by ektbear: 6:54am On Dec 30, 2011
Temporarily assume that the $10 billion in annual subsidies to the oil companies is correct.

Measure this against the amount of tax the government taxes me for every gallon of gasoline I buy.

Multiply that by the number of gallons consumed daily in the US, and then multiply that by 365.

Sum it up, and you'll see that the US government in the aggregate heavily taxes oil rather than subsidizing it.

Europe is even worse in this regard.

If you want to justify fuel subsidy, you cannot use the practices in the Western world to do so.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Abdulminin Jibrin Apologizes To Buhari And All APC Supporters. / Senate Plans To Reschedule Presidential, NASS, Guber Elections / Ezekwesili Reacts To NBS’ Confirmation That 21 Million Nigerians Unemployed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.