Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,360 members, 7,860,965 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:57 PM

How Islamic Do Northern Muslims Consider Their Southern Counterparts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Islamic Do Northern Muslims Consider Their Southern Counterparts (819 Views)

$9.3m Deal: Northern Muslims Accuse FG Of Cover-up / Ribadu, Sanusi, El-rufai And Northern Muslims Under Fire. / Sheik Gumi - Yakowa And Azazi Died While Plotting Against Northern Muslims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Islamic Do Northern Muslims Consider Their Southern Counterparts by Nchara: 6:54pm On Dec 30, 2011
I have heard so many unconfirmed stories that southern Nigerian muslims are not regarded as equal to their northern counterparts

I came across an ongoing debate on this topic on facebook.

Here are a few relevant comments from participants. What do you think?

Mitt Okorie :The case is simple: we must first understand that for Northern muslims, their Southern counterparts r not muslim enough. They can't even lead prayers in a mosque located in d North.

Aliyu Mohammed Musa Dantakum ‎

@Mitt Okorie say what u know,the boko haram are confuse group of killers who's goal then was to avenge the death of M.Yusuf but seems they are hijacked or they are confuse now. point of correction Max Siollun Boko haram of then had a little silly plan to kill Ali Modu.

Kayodeyemi GreatBilal
‎@Aliyu Mohammed Musa Dantaku: I'm sorry to burst your bubble, the truth is, Mitt Okorie is not far from the truth. The Northern muslims just don't see the Southern muslims being faithful enough. I live with them and see them all the time.

Not only are they not going to let a southerner lead their congregation in prayer in the north as put forward by Mitt Okorie, in the South here, the northern muslim will avoid praying behind a Yoruba Imam. He will rather pray on his own which is less rewarding than line behind a southerner leading the salat. And where there are more than one of them, willy nilly, they'll form their own congregation (jarma).

So bad is this that, they even formed their own ratibi mosques where they observe their own Jummat service. And even their own "id" ground separate from the regular where they praying during salah.

Bottom line, they just simply consider us less muslim than them.
Re: How Islamic Do Northern Muslims Consider Their Southern Counterparts by Relax101(m): 7:04pm On Dec 30, 2011
There's no doubt about that.
It's been proven.
Re: How Islamic Do Northern Muslims Consider Their Southern Counterparts by ektbear: 7:07pm On Dec 30, 2011
One of the few times bigotry has proved beneficial, heh.

Good.
Re: How Islamic Do Northern Muslims Consider Their Southern Counterparts by Nchara: 7:38pm On Dec 30, 2011
Relax101:

There's no doubt about that.
It's been proven.

By whom?

I will like to hear instead from Yoruba, Edo and other southern muslims.
Re: How Islamic Do Northern Muslims Consider Their Southern Counterparts by gists: 9:43pm On Dec 30, 2011
This question is a non-issue. The opinion of the northern muslim about their southern counterpart is immaterial. I have asked this question b4 and I'll ask again since no one has answered. Since when did the northern muslims became the standard by which other muslims must be measured against? Should the Ghanaian muslims and other muslims around the world lose sleep simply because their northern nigerian brothers consider them as inferior? As far as I am concerned their opinion is inconsequential as we do no pray to them nor to any human for that matter. So, this topic should be dropped as like I said its a non issue. But of course you are free to debate it for as long as you want if its going to make you feel better. Just remember whatever your conclusions are remains your opinion and it does not mean anything to anybody.

Hmmm so the northern muslims thinks I'm a fake muslim -SO, BIG DEAL ABI?
Re: How Islamic Do Northern Muslims Consider Their Southern Counterparts by Nchara: 9:47pm On Dec 30, 2011
gists:

This question is a non-issue. The opinion of the northern muslim about their southern counterpart is immaterial. I have asked this question b4 and I'll ask again since no one has answered. Since when did the northern muslims became the standard by which other muslims must be measured against? Should the Ghanaian muslims and other muslims around the world lose sleep simply because their northern nigerian brothers consider them as inferior? As far as I am concerned their opinion is inconsequential as we do no pray to them nor to any human for that matter. So, this topic should be dropped as like I said its a non issue. But of course you are free to debate it for as long as you want if its going to make you feel better. Just remember whatever your conclusions are remains your opinion and it does not mean anything to anybody.

Hmmm so the northern muslims thinks I'm a fake muslim -SO, BIG DEAL ABI?

Is this a roundabout way of admitting to the issue in question?
Re: How Islamic Do Northern Muslims Consider Their Southern Counterparts by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 30, 2011
You are even going too far

How Islamic do Northern Sunni Muslims consider Northern Shia Muslims
Re: How Islamic Do Northern Muslims Consider Their Southern Counterparts by gists: 10:03pm On Dec 30, 2011
Nchara:

Is this a roundabout way of admitting to the issue in question?

I am not trying to confirm or deny anything. I (and nobody) have absolutely nothing to gain or lose be it true or false. I'm only asking a very basic question - if its true, SO DAMN WHAT?

(1) (Reply)

Should Nigeria Break Up? / Gridlock Jonathan And The Baggage Rule By Sonala Olumhense / S’south, S’east Governors Shun Ojukwu Lecture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.