Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,396 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: (2546 Views)

Martin Patience Joins Nigerian Soldiers In The Combat Region In The North(pics) / 1300 Nigeria Peacekeeping Military Contacted Ebola In Liberia"bbc" / Obama Leaves Nigeria Out Of $110m Peacekeeping Fund (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by yemmight(m): 10:03am On Oct 05, 2007
The recent killings of 10 solders in Sudan that involved 7 Nigerians solders raises another poor security of life of peacekeeping forces outside the country.

I don’t think Nigerian Govt is up to the task in providing enough kits for these solders, if it did, how come Sudanese rebels would not even think twice in attacking and kill up to 7 Nigerians? If they are stronger why can’t they tack other peacekeepers easily?

Though The President has described the killing as shocking & unacceptable. In my own view, The Solders should be withdrawn while investigation to the killings go on.
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 05, 2007
We hear tons more about "innocent civilians" being killed in palestine and Iraq on this boards than Nigerian soldiers killed in Sudan. Maybe because there is no US to blame. . .

Or perhaps this board is populated by palestinians and Iraqis in disguise.
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by babasin(m): 4:38pm On Oct 05, 2007
well yaradua has no clue, this is opportunity for him to take some action and lead.

I expect him to task our military guys to launch real incursion into enemy zone and fish out those responsible.

They should be brought to trial in Lagos.

This will show the whole-world, no-one mess with Nigeria.

Alas, the foolish govt is busy stealing money, and family of dead soldiers may never get any compensation.
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by Mariory(m): 4:39pm On Oct 05, 2007
yemmight:

The recent killings of 10 solders in Sudan that involved 7 Nigerians solders raises another poor security of life of peacekeeping forces outside the country.

I don’t think Nigerian Govt is up to the task in providing enough kits for these solders, if it did, how come Sudanese rebels would not even think twice in attacking and kill up to 7 Nigerians? If they are stronger why can’t they tack other peacekeepers easily?

Though The President has described the killing as shocking & unacceptable. In my own view, The Solders should be withdrawn while investigation to the killings go on.

IMO everyone is to blame.

The AU for not putting enough pressure of the Government of Sudan to allow peace keepers more amour for protection.

The United Noise for not putting enough pressure of sanctions on the Government of Sudan in order to stop arming the Arab militia. Special blame goes to China for this one.

The Government of Sudan for arming and aiding Arab militias in their genocide against black Africans (even though those Africans are Muslims themselves)

Finally the Rebels who carried out the attack. Their time will come.
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by TayoD1(m): 4:56pm On Oct 05, 2007
@babasin,

I expect him to  task our military guys to launch real incursion into enemy zone and fish out those responsible.
Yaradua can't just have them go riot in a sovereign country. I'm sure you are aware that our soldiers are there by mandate of the AU. They cannot go beyond the mandate given to them by initiating combat. All we can do is pressure the AU to put pressure on the UN to provide our troops with equipment that is good enough to defend themselves against such attacks.

And by the way, that could be a huge task considering the fact that the Government of Sudan considers a foreign and heavily equipped army on its soil unacceptable. So this goes back to the UN taking the issue more seriously and passing a resolution that requires the peace keepers to initiate combat to bring the war to an end. With China milking the country and holding a veto power in the UN, this will never happen. I wish Bush will damn all consequences and go in there as he did in Iraq to bring an end to the carnage.
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by McKren(m): 5:05pm On Oct 05, 2007
When Martin Luthar Agwai said he has not come to conquer anybody but to help the Sudanese people find peace, I thought he had the right frame of mind to find a lasting solution to the problem.

But a situation where his troops are attacked unprovoked makes the situation more complicated than it already is.

The problem is already complicated and may be because Martin Luthar is a Nigerian there is the temptation that Nigeria will play a leading role, but sponsoring a war against a Government backed rebel is not easy and thank God the Ethiopians are coming forth.
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by almondjoy(f): 5:11pm On Oct 05, 2007
yemmight:

Can we have a link please somebody?

Welcome to concept of insurgency. sad  I believe it comes with the territory when you are in the "Peace Keeping" force.  Sadly, someone has to do this kind of job.   Well Americans and Britons are still dying in Iraq and Afghanistan and have not pulled out yet.  We need to have courage and and keep fighting to preserve our own interests in Africa.  Who else will do it for us? undecided  

Would you prefer the outside world to come and die for Africa? How long will we keep running from the evils that plague us--hoping for others to bail us out all the time?

May the spirit of the dearly departed soldiers rest in peace.  I hope the Nigerian government and we Nigerians appreciate their sacrifice and do right by the family members they left behind.  I think we are going to lose more before all this is over. sad
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 05, 2007
How can a country that is not peaceful go to other country to keep peace, i wonder!!!.
Nigeria soldiers don't know what is peacekeeping, they are not trained for that, they are not there to keep peace.
They were well trained for LOOTING and STEALING. Liberia and Sierra Leone was an example. they looted all what this
people had during that War.
May be dey don dey do road block there, dey collect money from Darfur people.
Dey people come vex kill them.
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by wendymanda: 7:00pm On Oct 05, 2007
How can a country that is not peaceful go to other country to keep peace, i wonder!!!.
Honestly. I am happy that Nigeria has taken it on herself to try and help Darfur becuase God knows they need, how ever I think Nigeria should first help itself before looking at others. Nigeria is one of the most dangerous nations in the world and I think the government should tackle that before going to Sudan.
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by almondjoy(f): 8:04pm On Oct 05, 2007
willywilly:

Nigeria soldiers don't know what is peacekeeping, they are not trained for that, they are not there to keep peace.
They were well trained for LOOTING and STEALING. Liberia and Sierra Leone was an example. they looted all what this people had during that War.

hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo! Can't stop laughing oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! Look! willy willy! Please do not start!---Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin

How true! Did not even see it that way!
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by Kobojunkie: 11:41pm On Oct 05, 2007
ROMBL

I AM LAUGHING SO HARD HERE ,  AlMOST SPILLED MY FOOD  grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

willywilly:

They were well trained for LOOTING and STEALING. Liberia and Sierra Leone was an example. they looted all what this

grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by Danmasani(m): 4:42am On Oct 06, 2007
willywilly:

No wonder dem call u willy-willy goat! some people lost their lives defending others whereas u are here abusing them!
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by Nobody: 8:38am On Oct 06, 2007
Danmasani:

No wonder them call u Willy-Willy goat! some people lost their lives defending others whereas u are here abusing them!
Goat Danmasani, So! your not aware, that Nigeria soldiers are bunch of well trained ARMED ROBBERS?.
Your from Middle Belt right!, please ask your brothers, who knows no other occupation than ZOMBI(army) job.
If they are sincere, you will get a correct answer from them.
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 16, 2007
davidylan:

We hear tons more about "innocent civilians" being killed in palestine and Iraq on this boards than Nigerian soldiers killed in Sudan. Maybe because there is no US to blame. . .

Or perhaps this board is populated by palestinians and Iraqis in disguise.
Also Many Islamic Terrorist and Lebanese/Iranians Jihadisht here on board
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by Orikinla(m): 12:18pm On Oct 16, 2007
Mariory:

IMO everyone is to blame.

The AU for not putting enough pressure of the Government of Sudan to allow peace keepers more amour for protection.

The United Noise for not putting enough pressure of sanctions on the Government of Sudan in order to stop arming the Arab militia. Special blame goes to China for this one.

The Government of Sudan for arming and aiding Arab militias in their genocide against black Africans (even though those Africans are Muslims themselves)

Finally the Rebels who carried out the attack. Their time will come.

This is not the first time that Nigerian soldiers would be killed.

A former member of Nairaland was there till last April, he is a LT.COM. in the Nigerian Navy and he sent me eye-witness accounts and the full details are on The DARFUR Blog and the latest interview with Gen. Martin Luther Agwai.
But I cannot publish the classified document.

Gen. Martin Luther Agwai and his troops are not to blame.
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by Nobody: 12:24pm On Oct 16, 2007
I read somewhere that liberians referred to ECOMOG as "Every Car And Moving Object Gone" back in the bad old days. their way of poking fun at the peacekeepers, who seemed interested in more mendacious pursuits.

In all honesty though, i doubt if any military in africa is trained in anything other than their moral superiority over 'bloody civilians'. Back in PH, the  JTF couldn't even catch soboma george. what do you expect from our soldiers in a real theatre of war?

of course, there are other issues -  you cannot follow the accepted rule of law in dealing with people like this. the only way to bring an end to the dafur crisis is some concerted bullying by a coalition of african countries - bomb a few strategic locations in sudan- runways, radio stations, etc, with a promise of greater reprisals if the hostilities continue.

it may not follow the rule of law, but all this pussyfooting means that people will keep getting killed/attacked/ dispossessed. undecided

willywilly:

Also Many Islamic Terrorist and Lebanese/Iranians Jihadisht here on board

yes, and we're taking names and ip addresses - we've already dispatched suicide bombers to that cyber cafe where you're hiding out! maybe we'll go easy on you - instead of killing you, well. . . lets just say you'll have to reregister on nairaland as 'willy' or maybe just 'will' . . .oh, i forgot, someone pointed out that the 'willywilly' appelation is an attempt to convince yourself - or nairalanders- that your willy is really a WILLIAM. . .maybe you'll go by the moniker willywillywillywilly .  .  .
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 16, 2007
oyb:

yes, and we're taking names and ip addresses - we've already dispatched suicide bombers to that cyber cafe where you're hiding out! maybe we'll go easy on you - instead of killing you,
Please Oyb, make una no send dey suicide bombers, please please i no won die now!!!.
Even, me i love Mohammed pass you, he is the messenger of Allah.
grin Allahu Arkbar.
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by Mariory(m): 1:25pm On Oct 16, 2007
lol grin
Re: Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: by yemmight(m): 1:51pm On Oct 16, 2007
Almondjoy,

When you said if they dont fight the war who then fight. Don,t even compare the American troops in Iraq to that of Nigeria. If a Nigeria soldier dies in Dafur what benefit is he gets? We all all know how Americal Army is treated in adifficult time. What kind of kits do we have in Nigeria Army compare to that of US.

The last troops that left for Dafur after the incident were stranded at the Airport. That is where you begin to look at welfare of the Soilders.

(1) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan's Facebook Status About Settler/indigene Issue In Nigeria / The Evil Of The North / Igbo 101

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.