Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,814 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

I Think I Know What Boko Haram Want! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Think I Know What Boko Haram Want! (1406 Views)

See What Boko Haram Did To Cattle After Poisoning Water Sources In Borno..photos / See What Boko Haram Did To This Man In Sambisa For Stealing Food (photo) / PHOTO: See What Boko Haram Has Turned Nigeria To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Think I Know What Boko Haram Want! by dblock(m): 8:58am On Jan 03, 2012
I started thinking about all the peculiarities of the situation, I started thinking about everything that Boko Haram has demanded. All the stances they have taken, the people they have attacked. The people they have fallen out with, their stance against negotiation, the people they have possibly interacted with. I started thinking about the situations that they have involved themselves with and I started thinking about other Islamic entities in the Greater Middle East and it all started to bear resemblance and make sense.

1) Notice how Boko Haram have called for the Islamization of Northern Nigeria, but not the entire Nigerian federation
2) Notice how they have not only attacked Christians, but also Moderate Muslims and Government outfits
3) They have attacked Security apparel and Military outposts
4) They have not been open to negotiation
5) They fell out with North Eastern politicians
6) They have possibly interacted with Al Shabab and foreign assistance is irrefutable
7) They have recently called for the expulsion of Christians from Northern Nigeria
cool They have attacked foreigners and a foreign agency
9) They have attacked the seat of power in Abuja
10) Their popularized name Boko Haram means "Western Education is a sin"
11) They are radical in nature
12) They are religious in nature, albeit superficially and have stated that "Nigeria belongs to Allah"
13) They perceive the Nigerian Government as their enemies - both the Christian & Muslim Governments
14) Contrary to myths that Boko Haram is created for Northern political empowerment, Boko Haram has been around for decades in other forms and Maitatsine for example resulted in the deaths of thousands in the 1980s
15) The group has attacked on symbolic days and strategically to undermined the Nigerian Government
16) The group is perhaps trying to exhaust the options of the Nigerian Government

Conclusion

Boko Haram is not trying to wrestle power for the North or empower the Northern Nigerian elite - Boko Haram are no longer affiliated with these politicians. Boko Haram are seeking to create an Islamic Northern Nigeria in which they will have political power and supremacy. Much the same way that Al Shabab has control over parts of Somalia and much the same way that Tehreek-e-Nafaz-e-Shariat-e-Mohammadi, Taliban (Pakistan) & Al-Qaeda have control over North West Pakistan.

Boko Haram are interested in political power themselves, they do not feel victimized by the Jonathan Administration solely, but by a long list of Governments including their state Governments and previous administrations. They are not interested in negotiation and are more than likely trying to actualize their objectives through strategic planning. They will most likely seek to exhaust the options of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. They believe that Islamic law is the antidote to the ills of the North.

Seeing as their motives are external and this is their livelihood and unrelenting desire, they cannot really be negotiated with. We will have to dissolve their instruments of power, we will have to distance them from the population for example.

(1) (Reply)

How Boko Haram Attacked Deeper Life Church In Gombe! / Anambra: The Limits Of Propaganda By Hon. Chudi Offodile / Zaria Church Bomb Blast>>>>john Odia Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.