Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,118 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

Lagos On Fire, Fuel Subsidy Protest. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos On Fire, Fuel Subsidy Protest. (1428 Views)

Where Are The Buses GEJ Promised Us After Subsidy Protest? / Nigerians In The Uk Cleared For Fuel Subsidy Protest On Friday 6th / Another Fuel Subsidy Protest In Ibadan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos On Fire, Fuel Subsidy Protest. by adegeorge(m): 10:59am On Jan 03, 2012
Falana, Aremu others hold up Lagos traffic in subsidy protest

The protesters in Lagos have sat down at Fadeyi along the Ikorodu expressway, chanting solidarity songs and calling for divine punishment for the proponents of the subsidy removal.

The action has caused a traffic snarl on the road which happens to be the busiest in Lagos. Among those sitting on the road presently are former ASUU President, Dipo Fashina, Human rights activist, Femi Falana, NLC vice president Issa Aremu, Segun Sango and students.

10:00am

Organised Labour under the Joint Action Front today in Lagos commenced a protest against the removal of the fuel subsidy by the Federal Government.

The protesters booed President Jonathan and Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo state over the development. They said the cabinet of President Jonathan, including the minister of Finance and the Petroleum minister are insensitive to the plight of Nigerians. They also berated Oshiomhole for supporting the removal of the subsidy, calling him a traitor to the cause.

The protest has attracted thousands who flocked to the NLC office in Yaba from as early as 7:30am chanting solidarity songs . They also displayed placards which said the administration was 'rudderless'. Some of the inscriptions on some of hte placards read "Jonathan is rogue; Oshiomhole is a traitor; Iweala is an agent; Diezani is a rogue".

Presently, protesters have shut down filling stations around Lawanson in Lagos. Among the stations sealed are Oando, MRS and Total. They accused them of compounding the plight of poor Nigerians by selling at the new pump price. They vowed to vandalise them should they go ahead to continue selling.

The protest is now being joined by students from the Lagos State University (LASU) who were already being weighed down by high school fees.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=151495%3Alabour-fuel-subsidy-protest-begins-in-lagos&catid=34%3Adeveloping-stories&Itemid=191
Re: Lagos On Fire, Fuel Subsidy Protest. by Antiscam1: 11:24am On Jan 03, 2012
Let FALANA & co shut d mess up!,We don't need critics, We need visionaires
that will move the nation forward!,we are tired of critics that dont contribute to Nigeria's
development but all they do is critise EVERY GOVT that comes!

It is this same Falana & co that frustrated d privatisation of the refineries in 2006.
Therefore,it was later revised and 5years later,this refineries are still not working under
government ownership!

Dont you think if they had allowed that privatisation to stay,!(1)the refineries would be working by now
under private ownership.(2)More private refineries would have come on board to compete for the market
share of oil refinning in Nigeria.(3)such competition for controlling of the market will lead to benefits of the
final consumer just as in Telecommunication sector!(forcing down pump price) (4)These refineries would have started exporting refined products to other countries because they would ve surpass d local demand just as telecom achieved eg Glo is now in about 3-4 countries.

Nigerians think!think!think!, These shameless activist are only dragging us backward on this particular issue!

Nigerian government currently has no SINGLE business running profitably!, they all run at a loss even NNPC!

That is why no govt will build refinery,only d private can!
Re: Lagos On Fire, Fuel Subsidy Protest. by KnowAll(m): 11:35am On Jan 03, 2012
[size=18pt]Oil Subsidy, the fact is “we are subsidising West-Africa Nations”, not only Nigeria, people should see through these sentiments. If we are planning not now, probably in the future, to have economic integration with ‘WA Nations’ we have to be selling our Petroleum Products, goods, and services at competitive rates, that is at the same rate across board otherwise we would be doomed as a nation like Greece.

Subsidising every country from Benin Republic in our immediate West of Nigeria, to Mauritania in the far North West of West Africa is a suicidal pact with the devil which we should shy and run away from no matter the hardship.

Monkey dey work baboon dey chop!!![/size] undecided
Re: Lagos On Fire, Fuel Subsidy Protest. by adegeorge(m): 11:40am On Jan 03, 2012
Are u guys for real Msheeew
Re: Lagos On Fire, Fuel Subsidy Protest. by Chubhie: 11:51am On Jan 03, 2012
Gingo dey di paro ni?
Re: Lagos On Fire, Fuel Subsidy Protest. by muami(m): 12:14pm On Jan 03, 2012
If NLC wants us to believe that they have all the answers to Nigeria's problems, then I think the best example they can provide is to show us the wonders that Adams Oshiomole has performed in Edo state. Otherwise, they should keep quiet!
By the way, all the so called protests are in ACN controlled states so we know it is political and would not last
Re: Lagos On Fire, Fuel Subsidy Protest. by Rhino5dm: 12:48pm On Jan 03, 2012
. . .And majority of those supporting the fuel subsidy scam are from South East. And we know why'
Re: Lagos On Fire, Fuel Subsidy Protest. by Antiscam1: 2:14pm On Jan 03, 2012
Only those who thinks can support GEJ at dis period!
Definately, not d majority!
But remember that fuel can sell for #20 if there is 10 functioning refineries in Nigeria!
Also,remember that no body will come and build this refineries if govt keep controlling the prize!
Also,remember that d govt will not build this refinery with her money because of YOU & ME,we are
too corrupt & greedy, we ran down all govt owned companies!,not even a single one is making profit
but loss!
Re: Lagos On Fire, Fuel Subsidy Protest. by manmustwac(m): 2:21pm On Jan 03, 2012
So is this protest the first signs of a revolution
Re: Lagos On Fire, Fuel Subsidy Protest. by OmoTier1(m): 2:23pm On Jan 03, 2012
muami:

If NLC wants us to believe that they have all the answers to Nigeria's problems, then I think the best example they can provide is to show us the wonders that Adams Oshiomole has performed in Edo state. Otherwise, they should keep quiet!
By the way, all the so called protests are in ACN controlled states so we know it is political and would not last  
Do not be a COWARD, I personally went to Edo State during my stay in Nigeria before I returned here and He is doing his best despite the very tiny budget at His disposal compared to some state e.g Delta State.

I saw Schools Oshiomole has revamped, saw the new Hospital (250beds + ) on full speed construction in Sapele Road, learnt the project was less than 7months as at the time I visited. I do not want to mention the roads.

I was informed, PENSIONERS in the state got their Pensions on the 28th of Every month, this one was from an Uncle who worked and retired from the Edo State Civil Service,  tears almost fell from my eyes when He told me the struggle they used to go through getting their pensions.  

Get real, this is not about ACN or any Political parties, Nigerians know their true leaders. NOT THE COWARD IN ASO ROCK
Re: Lagos On Fire, Fuel Subsidy Protest. by OmoTier1(m): 2:27pm On Jan 03, 2012
Anti-scam:

Only those who thinks can support GEJ at dis period!
Definately, not d majority!
But remember that fuel can sell for #20 if there is 10 functioning refineries in Nigeria!
Also,remember that no body will come and build this refineries if govt keep controlling the prize!
Also,remember that d govt will not build this refinery with her money because of YOU & ME,we are
too corrupt & greedy, we ran down all govt owned companies!,not even a single one is making profit
but loss!
The truth is this: If our current four refinaries are revamped to 60% capacity utilization, local consuption will be fully met,  at 80%, we export 15% of refined products,  so why have the refinaries be left to rot despite the HUGE TAM GEJ has approved ? GEJ has been throwing money at everything since He became President, but He does not understand that you spend and MONITOR,  not SPEND SPEND SPEND,   Obasanjo, despit His ego,  went round Nigeria monitoring government projects,  have you ever seen GEJ monitor any since He became president? Yet every wednesday, He sits at FEC at approve Nbillions for projects!

How about Him asking a Minister without notice to take Him down to go see a Project He approved money for
Re: Lagos On Fire, Fuel Subsidy Protest. by Xmind1: 2:41pm On Jan 03, 2012
What are these guys protesting? I think it is ignorance that will make anyone reject subsidy removal.Let's be realistic and allow it go for good. Let's give Jonathan the chance to transform Nigeria. Everyone outside there should just go back to your houses and support the government to succeed.
Re: Lagos On Fire, Fuel Subsidy Protest. by Akainzo(m): 2:46pm On Jan 03, 2012
X-mind:

What are these guys protesting? I think it is ignorance that will make anyone reject subsidy removal.Let's be realistic and allow it go for good. Let's give Jonathan the chance to transform Nigeria. Everyone outside there should just go back to your houses and support the government to succeed.

In the not too distant past, there were people like you that said the same thing about Abacha, praised Mubrarak and echoed the same sentiments for Sadam. There are even many like you saying the same about the Syrian government.

So I am not surprised.

(1) (Reply)

Abia State - More Road Construction Is In Progress In Abia State / Islamic Barbaric Bomb (ibb) / Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.