Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,899 members, 7,821,137 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues (7137 Views)

NYSC ( Now Your Suffering Continues) Episode 2 / NYSC Now Allows Students To Choose States For Deployment / Nysc Now Pay N38,000 'ALAWEE' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by knzguru(m): 4:10am On Oct 06, 2007
Given the high rate of unemployment and the fact that one would most probably be stuck with a dead end, no value or experience adding job such as teaching in some jungle classroom, does anyone out there agree with me that NYSC is a bleeding waste of time?

I was posted to Jalingo, Taraba state which quite frankly i wasn't convinced existed and had to check a map to locate it. As if that wasn't bad enough, after 3 weeks of pure torture in what closely resembled a POW camp in this terribly hot zone, i was posted to a place called Gembu in Sardauna local government 8(yes eight) freaking hrs away from the state capital!

However the place was quite cool, being on the highest plateau in Africa, the weather was fantastic. No electricity, no GSM, so me no stay! Overall the experience wasn't all that bad. Made friends, learnt a new language, saw new scenes, though i seriously doubt I'll ever go back (at least not until the state has an airport with chopper services).

Anyway if you've gone through the experience lets know where you were posted and how it was for you.
If you haven't gone for this totally unnecessary "service" where would you like to go or what would you rather be doing with your time.

Ajuwaya!
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by Nobody: 4:16am On Oct 06, 2007
Get urself re-posted to the state capital. I know its getting VERY difficult for people to repost themselves especially in the north were u're almost held at gunpoint to "serve" in the most backward of civilisations.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by texazzpete(m): 1:33pm On Oct 06, 2007
I thought there's already a thread on this NYSC thingy. Why start a new one?
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by tommyex(m): 3:37pm On Oct 06, 2007
dont wory
NYSC will soon be scrapped oo
Its jus a dumb idea to me
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by dearstan(m): 3:45pm On Oct 06, 2007
nysc is such a frustrating scheme.

scrapping it would do much good.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by eryck(m): 5:10pm On Oct 06, 2007
The Aim/Objectives for initiating the prog (NYSC) is no longer in existence, the sooner they scrap it the better for the country because the prog is not promoting anythin. ITS A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME & RESOURCES.

Imagine been posted to a place where there is no light, no Gsm, Portable water (of all)  & the peeps do not even understand you when you try to communicate,how do you expect someone that is already used to city life to thrive.

How can the Government be paying corpers 8500naira ($50) in a month this is really absurd & ludicrous moreover its the highest form of slavery in this modern age. In the developed world like USA their minimum pay is about $5 per hour maybe you do the maths yourself

I learnt from the media that the Government allocates 400,000 to each corper through out the service year;
1 Kits (uniform) which is suppose to be in pairs from the cap to the boot
2. Feeding Whilst in the Orientation camp
3. Allowances ( Bike,transport before leaving the camp & after been posted)

Only GOD knows what actually happens along the line & nobody talks about it.
   The reason why the NYSC prog is still very much alive is because alot of peeps are actually benefitting from it, right from the State Directors,Camp Diectors to the Area Inspectors.

If Government will be wise enough to give that money to each graduate to start up any business of their choice after graduation instead of wasting so much time looking for jobs that are not available or better still use it to fund education I think it will go a very long way because the educational system in Nigeria is collapsing most of the universities are living on their past Glory.

Peeps used to travel down from other african countries to Nigeria to school in the 80's but now the reverse is the case, nobody really cares about that. I sincerely wonder what the Commissioners & Ministers of Education are doing.

The ZEAL for education is gone because the younger ones no longer find it interesting studying as they have alot of graduates in their home without Job & cannot even afford transport to look for job.
We Need visionary leaders in this Great Country Nigeria, someone that fears God & has focus. I don't think there is any country that has as much natural resources as we do but yet morethan 70% are still living in extreme poverty.

Only God knows how much;
US of A generates from Entertainment a year
Uk generates from international students a year (education)
Rome generates from tourism & fashion
All these are not natural resources, but we are naturally blessed yet,

Well I will forever be grateful To God Almighty for helping me through my NYSC when i was posted to a place where their water is mixed with clay. I never knew a place like that still exist in Nigeria.

THANK YOU & GOD BLESS
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by AKO1(m): 6:23pm On Oct 06, 2007
When does this year's service start?
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by Nobody: 8:02pm On Oct 06, 2007
A_K_O:

When does this year's service start?

Oct 15th, 2007!
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by tobaaro(m): 11:08pm On Oct 06, 2007
Pls can posters also paste their Postings and their locations as they reply plsss,
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by Goldmann(m): 11:35pm On Oct 06, 2007
Postings are out in U.I, and I got GOMBE sad They say however that due to logistics, some of us will spend the 3weeks orientation camp in BAUCHI, So 4 now, I dont even know which jungle im goin 2 b spendin 3 weeks in yet!!! Ive got some serious issues:

1. Im seriously considering REDEPLOYMENT afta the camp, bt I really dont know how 2 go about it,

2. Is there celtel, mtn or glo reception in either GOMBE or BAUCHI?

3. What is the closest airport to either of the two places? cos im not about to go by road!!! (I know, there is an airport in bauchi but, wot airline travels that route?

4. Also, are there any flights direct 4rom LAG?

I need all the help I can get 4rom u nice FOLKS, Please help a NAIRALAND BROTHER IN NEED, My no. is 08023500845
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by MP007(m): 1:04am On Oct 07, 2007
I know things are bad right now, this thread is uncalled for, why are u people always negative, lets be hopeful instead of being hopeless,
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by drklump(m): 8:06am On Oct 07, 2007
Goldmann:

Postings are out in You.I, and I got GOMBE sad They say however that due to logistics, some of us will spend the 3weeks orientation camp in BAUCHI, So 4 now, I don't even know which jungle im goin 2 b spendin 3 weeks in yet!!! Ive got some serious issues:

1. I'm seriously considering REDEPLOYMENT after the camp, bt I really don't know how 2 go about it,

3. What is the closest airport to either of the two places? because im not about to go by road!!! (I know, there is an airport in bauchi but, wot airline travels that route?

I need all the help I can get 4rom u nice FOLKS, Please help a NAIRALAND BROTHER IN NEED, My no. is 08023500845

Well i schooled in Bauchi so i can answer some of your questions grin grin

All the networks are available in Bauchi town and most of the local goverments. Same thing in Gombe but i hear Glo is much more stable there

The closest airport to Bauchi is Jos. There is just one flight a day to Jos from Lagos that gets there via Abuja ( I think Arik is the only airline plying that route)

From Jos Airport to the main town is about 30mins. From Jos town to Bauchi is an hr's drive (But the road is just beautiful - best highway in the north i call it)

From Bauchi to Gombe is about 1hr 30mins. To get to Gombe you have to go through Bauchi.

Bauchi's orientation camp is outside town in a place called Wailo - a real dead end believe me

If you need more specific info feel free to buzz me.

Ps: I'm serving in Lagos cool cool
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by tellie(m): 8:18am On Oct 07, 2007
Hey guys please i found this topic more interesting. I'm expecting call up this week anyone that has more information and experience about camp let him/her share with us (intending corpers).
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by ezetoeze(m): 11:15am On Oct 07, 2007
I just got to know that I have been posted to Enugu state. Can anybody tell me how the place is like?For corpers that have been posted there pls let get together and strategize on how we can make the best out of that place. this is my nos 08024997707. we have to make things happen! If u can pls drop ur nos in my email I will call you when we get there. ezetoeze@yahoo.co.uk. My name is Debola
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by mariejane(f): 1:57pm On Oct 07, 2007
i dont agree that this scheme should be scrapped simply cos there is sos much to be gained frm it, we should learn to adapt to whatever situation we find our selves and stop complaining
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by fawwyb(m): 2:08pm On Oct 07, 2007
NYSC is bullshit, its disadvantages are  far less than the advantages, Scraping it will be the best. i was a batch A corper in Anambra state but i suspended my service for my MSc  programme here in South Africa. The 3- week camping was fun but stressful. I spent a week in the remotest part of Ekwusigo LGA, Anambra state for my primary assignment before i got my ass out , one week was like a year to me, a real hell embarassed, no water, no light and the strangest part of it is that there is a particular species of snake called Royal python in the town, is a taboo to kill  it so the kind of the snake is so free that it moves around  the town and even enters houses at will shocked  embarassed,  the experience still remains indelible in my memory . . ,  . .  I will be glad if NYSC is scraped tongue
I wish all the new corpers in the house safe trip to their respective destinations, goodluck cool
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by drklump(m): 2:13pm On Oct 07, 2007
mariejane:

i don't agree that this scheme should be scrapped simply because there is sos much to be gained frm it, we should learn to adapt to whatever situation we find our selves and stop complaining

I agree with mariejane. You folks dont know how much some remote parts of the country depend on corp members to bail their asses out (Education, health, etc)

The NYSC shouldnt be scrapped but undergo serious policy and structural change. I feel state goverments should be made to shoulder more responsibilites instead of leaving the FG to handle the scheme by itself.

After all, the states are the ones benefiting from " the service to the fatherland, "
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by eryck(m): 4:04pm On Oct 07, 2007
I was posted to Enugu during my service year, the camp is called Agwu Camp (Ojukwu Camp) precisely out of the town off the road leading to Port harcourt. My three weeks in the camp was hell. mayb u will see 4 ursef as soon as u step into the place.

I wish u all GOOD LUCK.
Mind you PLAY SAFE Cos SHIT HAPPENSSS!!!
Some Girls could be so LOSE (am not been personal here)
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by gbeboy(m): 4:58pm On Oct 07, 2007
peeps, i really don't know if im in support of them scrapping the nysc programme cos im about to get my call-up letter(my prayer is that im not posted to a remote location)at least those posted to Lagos and Abuja are humans just like me. anyway, i intend to catch my fun(God willing) wherever i am. i'ld definitely keep you posted after the three weeks.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by drklump(m): 5:03pm On Oct 07, 2007
gbeboy:

peeps, i really don't know if im in support of them scrapping the nysc programme because im about to get my call-up letter(my prayer is that im not posted to a remote location)at least those posted to Lagos and Abuja are humans just like me. anyway, i intend to catch my fun(God willing) wherever i am. i'ld definitely keep you posted after the three weeks.

Damn right you catch your fun. Camp is about one of the most trying periods i've had in life i think. Ask anyone that survived the camp in Lagos. It was bitter-sweet believe me.

In retrospect, i actually miss the damn three weeks in camp. I discovered things i didnt know i was capable of doing or enduring grin grin grin
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by saintneo(m): 5:10pm On Oct 07, 2007
[quote]NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continuesdoes it mean that our graduates can write simple english
[/quote]
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by saintneo(m): 5:18pm On Oct 07, 2007
Does it mean that our graduates can not write simple English. May be I should shift the blame to Seun and his team who can not edit these threads properly.
NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by ima1(f): 6:51pm On Oct 07, 2007
Im planning to go back to naija for my NYSC, as much as i don't want to do the thing, anyway im both an american and naija citizen, living in the U.S, i've got some questions.

1. if i come back to naija as an american citizen, would i need to do the NYSC thing.
2. when does the NYSC thing start next yr.
3. Is it that bad because i see almost everyone complaining about it, i doubt if i want to be posted to anywhere other than Abuja though.

so please help
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by silsane(f): 9:14pm On Oct 07, 2007
Goldmann:

Postings are out in You.I, and I got GOMBE sad They say however that due to logistics, some of us will spend the 3weeks orientation camp in BAUCHI, So 4 now, I don't even know which jungle im goin 2 b spendin 3 weeks in yet!!! Ive got some serious issues:

1. I'm seriously considering REDEPLOYMENT after the camp, bt I really don't know how 2 go about it,

3. What is the closest airport to either of the two places? because im not about to go by road!!! (I know, there is an airport in bauchi but, wot airline travels that route?

Dats because of the new scheme they introduced, read d news on punch's website.
[b]
For the first time in its 34-year history, the National Youth Service Corps has carried out a slight adjustment in its orientation programme

Under the new policy, an unspecified number of youth corps members are to undergo a three-week orientation programme in states other than the ones to which they are being deployed for primary assignment.

The Head of NYSC‘s Public Relations Department, Mrs. Chinwe Ojukwu, told Sunday Punch that the arrangement was informed by some major challenges facing the organisation.

She explained that the measure became necessary because of the limited space in orientation camps and the unprecedented increase in the number of graduates.

He said some youth corps members have to undergo the three-week orientation in a neighbouring state before they commence their primary assignment in another state.

”Some states like Lagos have high capacity for absorption of youth corpers due to the very high number of public and private sector bodies that are ready to engage them. However, if Lagos can absorb five thousand and the orientation camp has capacity for only two thousand, the only practical thing to do now is to make use of neighbouring states'orientation-camp facilities,” Mrs. Ojukwu stated.

She also stated that prospective youth corps members are to begin collecting their call-up letters from their respective institutions as from tomorrow (Monday). Under the new arrangement, some of the corps members posted to Lagos State are to undergo orientation in Osun and Ekiti states.

Also, some of those posted to the Federal Capital Territory are to undergo the orientation in Kwara State while the NYSC orientation camp in Katsina will absorb some of those from Kebbi State. Jigawa is to cater for those posted to Kaduna State.

Other camps that are to take excess loads from others are Bauchi, which will take some of those posted to Gombe; Yobe will take of Adamawa; will come to the aid of Ogun, Edo, while Cross River State’s orientation camp is to host some of those being posted to Rivers State.

Presently, the NYSC secretariat is yet to know the exact number of corp members to be mobilized for the next orientation exercise ,which is to begin on October 15.

According to Mrs. Ojukwu, “Various institutions send lists of students whose graduation has been generally approved by the institutions’ Senates, but some may not be able to serve immediately because of subsequent disciplinary issues, failure in some papers, pregnancy and so on. As our Director-General said, NYSC is mobilizing all eligible corps members."[/b]
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by knzguru(m): 3:13am On Oct 08, 2007
@ima1
Not to worry, you ajebos smiley usually get special treatment and would end up being posted to either lagos or abuja.
Next year's call up should be in February/March
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by mafolayomi(f): 9:44am On Oct 08, 2007
Hi All

Pls i will like to know how true this is, i learnt that part time graduates too will be going for service now is this true? if yes when are they going to start it
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by randa(m): 10:10am On Oct 08, 2007
the biggest problem with the nigerian youth is that we want things to be easy for us, i served at sokoto about six years ago, even though it was all strange to me i wanted to make the best use of it, talking about sm there was none but i did not die, met lots of people , i really learnt a lot and programmed my mind that i was gonn abe there for 12 months and it all went well, infact the peeps i met while service are the ones that made me to get my current job which pays well and i am having fun, i think the logic should be that one should have an open mind and pray for the best, if you are a pesimist u will not get far, so pls try and be positive even thouh the NYSC scheme is not what it used to be
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Continues by sergio(m): 10:16am On Oct 08, 2007
During Gen Buhari's campaign, he rightly pointed ot that NYSc is a waste of time, he was of the opinion that young graduates should be giving some amount of money as grants to enable them start up something and not to wait for the government for employment, he said that this would reduce unemployement among graduates to the barest minimum, come to think of it, if you were giving about #400,000 as a young graduate, won't you be able to do something reasonable with it, i think i buy Buhari's idea

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Has Anybody Here Collected Empower The Corps Loan? / Let Us Know The State You Choose As The 1st,2nd And 3rd,on Your NYSC Form / NYSC KHAKI Available In Ibadan Sown To Your Perfect Size At Affordable Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.