Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,597 members, 7,958,838 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 04:50 AM

Nigerian Government At It Again! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Government At It Again! (1145 Views)

Apc Led Federal Government At Loggerheads With Judiciary / Fashola’s Government At Two; Indeed A Resounding Success Story / Militants meet with Federal Government at Aso Rock. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Government At It Again! by obowunmi(m): 4:53pm On Jan 07, 2012
I am due to fly into Nigeria on Monday but the Nigerian government has told all airlines flying into Nigeria that there is no strike.

What am I to do and what generally happens during a strike?
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by Gbawe: 5:25pm On Jan 07, 2012
obowunmi:

I am due to fly into Nigeria on Monday but the Nigerian government has told all airlines flying into Nigeria that there is no strike.

My brother do not believe anything the Nigerian Government says. They are liars !!! A friend of mine had to return home with his daughter , from a UK airport, yesterday. His daughter , aged 14, was sent to school in Nigeria when she became a 'handful' in the UK. She comes here to the UK on holiday (Christmas, Easter et al) and goes back to Nigeria to attend School. Yesterday the staff at the school , a private school for that matter, contacted him directly on the way to the airport to tell him to keep his daughter away as they will be affected by the strike "indefinitely". His daughter is now in the UK with him till 'further notice' . Pay attention to propaganda at your own risk. How many times has GEJ dismissively waved aside Boko Haram to tell the world Nigeria is "safe" and "open for business"?

Err on the side of safety, as my friend did with his daughter, and avoid flying to Nigeria for now.
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by Beaf: 5:28pm On Jan 07, 2012
obowunmi:

If the govt says you can fly, then you better come in. Any body that is foolish enough to leave their desks can be replaced. Also, it isn't NLC thats gonna fly your plane, is it?
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by efisher(m): 5:35pm On Jan 07, 2012
Follow the instruction of your airline. If the flight is not cancelled, you can make no claim.
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by Gbawe: 5:36pm On Jan 07, 2012
Beaf:

If the govt says you can fly, then you better come in. Any body that is foolish enough to leave their desks can be replaced. Also, it isn't NLC thats gonna fly your plane, is it?

Are you at all OK? Did you not read this from the OP
but the Nigerian government has told all airlines flying into Nigeria that[b] there is no strike.[/b]

Even if you are shamelessly an azzlicker of Government, why not see what is best for your fellow Nigerian for once? By all indications the strike will go on. It is best for folks to err on the side of safety by avoiding walking into chaos on a day that has been announced as one for strike actions throughout the Nation. If there is a full blown strike on the ground, how can anyone rely on this totally discredited Government to rise up to its responsibilities?

@Obowunmi.

My brother, this is no longer partisan politics. Kindly avoid a Monday entrance into Nigeria. You simply don't know what you may meet on the ground.
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jan 07, 2012
well poster, think about it,
Will you take the advice of the majority and a sincere poster who cares about your personal well-being OR will you take the advice of a govt-paid propangandist? A shameless opportunist and a liar who would sell his own mother for a bowl of porridge.
Your choice.
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by Beaf: 5:41pm On Jan 07, 2012
Gbawe:

Are you at all OK? Did you not read this from the OP
Even if you are shamelessly an azzlicker of Government, why not see what is best for your fellow Nigerian for once? By all indications the strike will go on. It is best for folks to err on the side of safety by avoiding walking into chaos on a day that has been announced as one for strike actions throughout the Nation.

Red-eyed desperation will kill you and your evil brood of haters and boko haram supporters.
As efisher has said, if the OP's airline has not cancelled the flight, who are you to tell him not to fly with your mama akara stories and lies?
No be winsh behaviour be dat?
Do you know better than the airline he bought his tickets with?

Loser.
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by obowunmi(m): 5:46pm On Jan 07, 2012
I am on a business trip using Emirates and Arik Airlines.

Indeed my safety is important here.

What will I do if there is no one at the airports ? Will I get stranded there? How will I get to my place of destination?

The government has put safety about its citizens.
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by Gbawe: 5:56pm On Jan 07, 2012
obowunmi:

I am on a business trip using Emirates and Arik Airlines.

Indeed my safety is important here.

What will I do if there is no one at the airports ? Will I get stranded there? How will I get to my place of destination?

The government has put safety about its citizens.

If that is the case, let me ask you this: when has the left hand ever known what the right hand is doing in the GEJ Government?

Even if it was not ultra incompetent and totally compromised GEJ in charge, I would still ask you to avoid Nigeria on a day officially set as the commencement of "indefinite" striking against a very anti-people policy. Nigeria, at the best of times, has never been predictable talk less of trying to 'estimate' events on a day we are told the "mother of all strikes" begins.
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by muami(m): 6:03pm On Jan 07, 2012
Gbawe:

My brother do not believe anything the Nigerian Government says. They are liars !!! A friend of mine had to return home with his daughter , from a UK airport, yesterday. His daughter , aged 14, was sent to school in Nigeria when she became a 'handful' in the UK. She comes here to the UK on holiday (Christmas, Easter et al) and goes back to Nigeria to attend School. Yesterday the staff at the school , a private school for that matter, contacted him directly on the way to the airport to tell him to keep his daughter away as they will be affected by the strike "indefinitely". His daughter is now in the UK with him till 'further notice' . Pay attention to propaganda at your own risk. How many times has GEJ dismissively waved aside Boko Haram to tell the world Nigeria is "safe" and "open for business"?

Err on the side of safety, as my friend did with his daughter, and avoid flying to Nigeria for now.
Your advice and the story about your friend may be valid on its own but in relation to the poster's query, they are completely OP! What is the connection between schools not opening and planes not flying? In case you don't know, whenever there may be breakdown of law and order, govt advice schools not to open and even close down universities. That does not mean planes would not fly. Do you think to shut down a nation's airspace is a child's play?
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by violent(m): 6:05pm On Jan 07, 2012
You should confirm from your airline if they still plan to fly to Nigerian on Monday.
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by efisher(m): 6:05pm On Jan 07, 2012
No sane airline will fly if there is no facility on ground at the destination. Forget the FG and listen to your airline. . . Until the airline advises otherwise; else, be ready to bear the loss.
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by muami(m): 6:12pm On Jan 07, 2012
[This may help]

"You should check with your airline ahead of any travel to or from Nigeria, and are urged to make contingency plans in the case of disrupted travel. You are advised to check your insurance policy to determine cover in the case of a strike. We understand that Arik Air, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic KLM, Lufthansa and Ethiopian Airline plan to operate a normal international service on Monday, however, you should still check with your airline before departure. We assess that there is a higher chance of disruption on domestic routes. Reportedly the airport in Abuja will open and operate as normal on Monday, but it remains possible that there may be disruption to ground services at the airports, or on main roads between airports and cities, which in turn may cause airlines to cancel flights. All airlines have confirmed that if there are disruptions to flights, they will inform passengers about cancellations and rescheduled flights."

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/sub-saharan-africa/nigeria
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by efisher(m): 6:15pm On Jan 07, 2012
Great response from muami. It's as simple as ABC
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by Gbawe: 6:19pm On Jan 07, 2012
muami:

Your advice and the story about your friend may be valid on its own but in relation to the poster's query, they are completely OP! What is the connection between schools not opening and planes not flying? In case you don't know, whenever there may be breakdown of law and order, govt advice schools not to open  and even close down universities. That does not mean planes would not fly. Do you think to shut down a nation's airspace is a child's play?

You are simply missing the point. The OP , from my understanding, is not concerned only about flying safely to Nigeria. what he said here makes that clear :
but the Nigerian government has told all airlines flying into Nigeria that there is no strike. What am I to do and what generally happens during a strike?

He is concerned about a general strike and the possibility that situation may have on his productivity and operations  in Nigeria. This is pertinently why I talked about my friends daughter. He decided to keep her in Britain if there is a chance events on the ground means she will be sitting at home in Nigeria in care of relatives !!! She might as well be here with her mom  and dad till the uncertainty is over !!!! It is precisely same for OP. He might as well remain where he is rather than travel to Nigeria and achieve nothing at all because chaos reigns everywhere.

There is real animosity towards the stance of the Government and only the most die hard backers of Goverment will dismiss that frivolously. Paramount is the notion that everything might grind to a halt to the extent OP could be wasting his time and resources travelling to Nigeria. Nothing at all to do with airspace and the tangent you are taking this towards.
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by igbonla(m): 6:25pm On Jan 07, 2012
It is reasonable to reschedule your flight, if possible. It's every man for himself, I would stay out of harm's way at this time.

Nobody is replacing anybody, my organization has written every employee to stay away from work as the staff buses will definitely not be on the road. Safety is of paramount importance, better be safe than sorry.
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by efisher(m): 6:30pm On Jan 07, 2012
In that case you can reschedule if you're not sure.
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by Gbawe: 6:36pm On Jan 07, 2012
igbonla:

It is reasonable to reschedule your flight, if possible. It's every man for himself, I would stay out of harm's way at this time.

Nobody is replacing anybody, my organization has written every employee to stay away from work as the staff buses will definitely not be on the road. Safety is of paramount importance, better be safe than sorry.

Thank you. Can you at all believe the utterances of some of the posters here? The OP is very worried about what we all believe is an impending strike yet some are here , playing politics as usual, telling him to disregard the belief of the majority to place his travel plans and general safety in the hands of a desperate and discredited Government that has continously assured it is capable while Nigerians continue to die like rats 
but the Nigerian government has told all airlines flying into Nigeria that there is no strike.

How can the Government say authoritatively that "there is no strike" and how , given all we have seen , will any sensible Nigerians come here to defend that position to the point of encouraging a fellow Nigerian to walk into possible life-threatening chaos?
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by jmaine: 7:08pm On Jan 07, 2012
@ OP coming in is not the issue but the probability of getting in close proximity of chaos is high . . .I have a strong feeling that the government would Marshall out stern security on that day . .and there might just a confrontation between the masses and security agencies. . You might just be trapped whatever you are, and your ultimate agenda may be defeated . .

Why not reschedule it for a favorable period. . .

Btw, The labour does not have the capacity to disrupt airport services . .i don't see them achieving that unless they want to collide with the brutal security measures that would be put in place . . and such outcome would be bad for labour . .
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by Gbawe: 7:20pm On Jan 07, 2012
jmaine:

@ OP coming in is not the issue but the probability of getting in close proximity of chaos is high . . .I have a strong feeling that the government would Marshall out stern  security on that day . .and there might just a confrontation between the masses and security agencies. . You might just be trapped whatever you are, and your ultimate agenda may be defeated . .

Why not reschedule it for a favorable period. . .

Btw, The labour does not have the capacity to disrupt airport services . .i don't see them achieving that unless they want to collide with the brutal security measures that would be put in place . . and such outcome would be bad for labour . .

Well said. NL needs the likes of you, with balanced and pro-people opinion going beyond blind political partisanship, as a voice of neutrality and what is best for Nigerians. This is not a political issue.
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by obowunmi(m): 7:31pm On Jan 07, 2012
Thank you all. Gbawa, Jmaine, et. al. Very helpful.
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jan 07, 2012
but the Nigerian government has told all airlines flying into Nigeria that there is no strike.

the word of the nigerian government cannot be trusted. that is why we are at this impasse in the first place

the nigerian government also told Nigerians in the north that they had nothing to fear from boko haram

i strongly advise you to stay out. even if you arrive in nigeria, you may be stranded \ stuck at the airport with no safe way of getting to your destination.
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by obowunmi(m): 10:17pm On Jan 07, 2012
You are right oyb!
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by supoade: 11:10pm On Jan 07, 2012
Come Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 12:00am. Nigeria Airspace will be shut as annouced by NLC

Fly at your own risk!

The last time i checked, FG said southerners in North should not mind Boko Haram threat as adequate provision has being made to secure thier lives, what happened thereafter ? FG to give scholarships to children of Killed ones in the Blast

Where are the stage where IF GEJ says "Good Morning Nigerians, I can bet with Full tank of Petrol in my Car that it is 12:01 pm already.
Re: Nigerian Government At It Again! by supoade: 11:12pm On Jan 07, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKeW6NNygvY&feature=player_embedded

Listen to that b4 u embark on your trip back to Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

. / Btw Obj And Ojukwu! / Horse Of Caligula - By Mahmud Jega

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.