Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:32 AM

Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder (2373 Views)

How Much Is Dollar Selling @ The Black Around You? I Just Bought @ 300 Now / Principles That Made Dangote The Richest Black Man On Earth / Depositors Lose N70m To Wonder Bank, Director Held (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mordz: 4:44am On Jan 08, 2012
I have been researching and researching and researching. I cant seem to find any company in the world that is owned by a Nigerian or a black person for that matter, that actually manufactures anything (computers, microchips, cellphones, generators, tvs, keyboards, lightbulbs, solar wafers, bicycle, cars etc, even childrens toys) Please please please. I take God beg every one, can you point me to a company that you know of. Every company i have come across that claims a technology title with a black owner always seems to be putting pieces together manufactured by another people mostly korean, chinese or european. Please help me if you guys can.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by Antiscam1: 8:17am On Jan 08, 2012
dangote cement is manufactured by a blackman
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mordz: 9:25pm On Jan 08, 2012
to anti scam. Yes I did that research too.
Dangote uses CATERPILLAR trucks to dig the calcium sand and clay, then uses the MITSUBISHI crusher to crush to little pieces then blended with MAHINDRA HEAVY INDUSTRYS blenders which then go into a sintering furnace made in USA by CENTORR Vacuum furnaces.
(This is not what I am inquiring about). Its quite easy to put items together if you have the money to buy the equipments. I was talking about
the actual ground up manufacture of complex electrical parts, equipment and machinery (like the cat trucks, mahindra crushers, centorr vacumms, mitubishi blenders etc). This is a very very serious quest for me. i cant seem to rest till I find some good answers.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jan 08, 2012
The Black man is not dumb. He can manufacture something tangible from the ground up.

The fact is, he is too busy chasing after fait money and things of this world manufactured by men of other races. So he has no time to think.

Quotes: "The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." Albert Einstein

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think." Martin Luther King, Jr.

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking." Voltaire

"Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge." Carl Sagan

"Discovery is seeing what everybody else has seen, and thinking what nobody else has thought."Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

All we have to do is to start THINKING in depth.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mordz: 7:01pm On Jan 09, 2012
to olodostein, i hear you loud and clear.
I still need solid answers .
Anyone out there please give a shout out
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by okeyxyz(m): 7:55pm On Jan 09, 2012
@mordz, i no blame you o!! grin
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by okeyxyz(m): 7:56pm On Jan 09, 2012
does Agege bread count undecided
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mordz: 12:14am On Jan 10, 2012
smileyokeyxyz. Thanks for the levity but na serious matter to me sha. if we fit decode this thing, and begin manufacture then we will be on our way to super power status
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jan 10, 2012
mordz:

to olodostein, i hear you loud and clear.
I still need solid answers .
Anyone out there please give a shout out

Solid answers: that is fine; maybe you can start by giving us a clue on how to go about it.  Can a tree grow without its root?

Be pragmatic, my friend.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by chrishenzo: 1:57pm On Jan 10, 2012
@mordz,

If making of wine, nylon, bags, shoes, plastics, wc(water closets), electric cables, etc counts, then my books are full of men that make sure things.

Consider years slavery also played a great role in the development of blacks and most of races apart from whites. The reason is not that are not willing to learn but the problem is that those that make the discovery do not want to shear the information with them.

Check the population of Africa/Asians, that have the privilege of studying in UK, US, and most of the European countries between 1900-1990. I believe you will find out they are very very few of them.

Also don't forget that most of Africa countries and Asians gained their independence some few years back. I believe with the population of Africans studying in foreign countries, there will be a lot of improvement in other field sooner than we expected.

People shouldn't invent computers and phones before you believe that they are smart. Remember the likes of Garrett Morgan, Ben Carson, and other successful black men and women who have written their names in the history books.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mordz: 7:25pm On Jan 10, 2012
chrishenzo hi.
I wasnt talking white people or about making slippers and handbag and wine etc, (its The machinery used to make those items).

maybe there are no easy answers to this issue thats why I cant get a straight forward answer from anyone.
the Chinese were enslaved by the Japanese, india was colonized by Britian also.
Today, china is set to overtake U.S in development and India has a man in space and some of the largest software firms on earth etc.
I believe they achieved this thru manufacturing and sciences. Only by developing our manufacturing base and concentrating on that issue will we be able to take a place in the modern world and get TRUE respect and pride. We are a nation of 165 million people. If you can, try to visit South Korea, Taiwan, hong kong, argentina, theres no good reason why we cant vault over these places
thanks anyway for the comment
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by saridonp2: 8:20pm On Jan 10, 2012
You dont even sound smart yourself!Check for informations yourself and you will find out that blacks have always participated in inventions and also have invented one thing or the other.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by Fhemmmy: 8:24pm On Jan 10, 2012
Black man could manufacture a lot if given a fair ground for foundation . . . .
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mordz: 8:46pm On Jan 10, 2012
saridon_p hello.
I never said i was too smart. this is just a quest for info.
If you have any pertinent info please share it.
I am a 42 yr old. You can only imagine the amount of research I have been doing.
thanks anyway. no disrespect intended.

1 Like

Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mordz: 8:49pm On Jan 10, 2012
Fhemmmy hello.
Agreed, but could easily be an excuse.
will continue searching for verifiable entities.
thanks for the comment
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by Fhemmmy: 9:25pm On Jan 10, 2012
mordz:

Fhemmmy hello.
Agreed, but could easily be an excuse.
will continue searching for verifiable entities.
thanks for the comment

If you have heard of Ibo Made, that would tell you that it is possible, but just dont have what it takes to expand and make it work better
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mordz: 11:05pm On Jan 10, 2012
Fhemmmy i checked on that too. igbo made actually means counterfeit low quality goods imported into naija and made in china. When next someone tells you an item is igbo made, look at the back
of the item and you will see where its actually Made.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by guvna(m): 6:59pm On Jan 11, 2012
Why dont you start your own manufaturing then? U dumb azz!!
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jan 11, 2012
guvna:

Why dont you start your own manufaturing then? U dumb azz!!

Abegi, help me ASK am.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mordz: 7:10pm On Jan 11, 2012
guvna sorry if I offended you.
No need for the name calling.
I just need information.
am not a scientist. just a writer.
I thought this was an adult oriented informational site.
maybe i need to rephrase the question or maybe there are no painless answers.
thanks anyway!
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mordz: 7:23pm On Jan 11, 2012
Edited Version of topic.
Can someone please point me to a company/companies owned by any nigerians that manufactures (computers, microchips, cellphones, generators, tvs, lightbulbs,solar wafers, cars etc)
I have been researching and researching and researching and cant seem to find one.
Its for a book I am writing. It will make waves when i am able to finish and publish it.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by okeyxyz(m): 2:47am On Jan 12, 2012
Hi again mordz,
Nevermind people who readily insult you on the forum as you'd find nairaland is full of them. such people usually tend to be socially frustrated individuals overcompensating for their real life inadequacies, hiding behind computers to exercise fantasies of the guts they wish they actually had. keep working on it and it's your effort that'll see you through.

But back to the issue at hand, it depends on what context you want to research, if you are looking for hardcore manufacturing which involves the transformation of raw materials to finished products, unlike merely assembling prefabricated parts, then you'd have to look to areas of the world where there is true commercial & entrepreneurial culture. Culture cannot be overemphasized here, as it means the community has a structure that protects the property of the inventor and his right to earn commercial rewards from such a property. unfortunately, i don't know of any indigenous society in Africa with such a structure or practise. Personally, i don't think it has anything to do with genetic inferiority, but more with global social dynamics of which racism plays a critical role to this outcome.

why Racism? remember that up to the 1970's the civil-rights movement was still fighting for the equal treatment of blacks as whites in the american society and the world at large. so the implication is that any technology that may have been invented or perfected by a black person may not be given it's due recognition by the "powers that be" such an invention may have been usurped by the white institution and ascribed to some white person who fits the profile. at the end of the day, ownership boils down to who is legally recognized as the owner of a property, though he may not be the true owner or inventor.

So what is the outcome of this institutional racism? well, we can assume that 95 percent of all technology in use today has been discovered and patented long before today, has been branded and commercialized long before today, so if a black man happens to be the originator such artefact, you can be sure that history books and legal books do not recognize him as such. so generally, the black people have been disenfranchised from partaking in the intellectual and commercial systems through the years that virtually all positions and frontiers of ownerships and rights have already been taken, leaving not much left by the time we were integrated into the system. so, do you want some black person to re-invent the television or internal combustion engine? it's already been done and legally attributed to someone else and institutions of non-black people have been setup over the years to be exclusive partakers of such knowledge and ownerships so that when the black man is finally accepted, he would need to start from the ground to work his way up while those up-there still have the exclusive means(technological & financial ) to push the frontiers.

So, it will be hard to find such pure manufacturing outfit owned by a black because those territories have already been taken as a result of a system that is stacked against him.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mordz: 4:06am On Jan 12, 2012
okeyxyz thanxx a million for the comments.

Yes I am looking for hardcore manufacturing. The transfer from raw materials to finished goods.
Actually we are not even searching for inventors or patent holders of any technology. Thats a black hole i dont want to go down.
We are searching for nigerian technology companies in existence today that can manufacture from the ground up.

You see I believe that technology is a key governing force in society / culture. Technological development determines social change . It changes the way people think and how they interact with others and can be described as ', a three-word logical proposition: "Technology determines history". Social progress is driven by technological innovation, which in turn follows an "inevitable" course. Social problems can be solved by technological advancement, and this is the way that society moves upward and onward. Good examples are China and India. They focused like a laser beam on technology and manufacturing. Look where they are today.

Agreed on all the points regarding racism but, I cant believe that there are no such manufacturers in a nation of 165 million.Some of the sharpest people I have come across happen to be Nigerians so it probably cant be brain inferiority. something seems to be missing. we have to decode
this puzzle. I must keep searching.

Funny this whole consuming journey for me started as a discussion on if Nigeria should also try to harness the power of the atom and get nuclear power to help with our electricity issues. (in one 9 room apartment in benin there are 9 generators going face to face. that cant be healthy for the inhabitants) cry

Thanks once again. u helped me.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by Antiscam1: 3:03am On Jan 13, 2012
@ poster i got ur gist perfectly but dis is not peculiar to naija alone, it seems more of African problem.
However,if we take a closer look at history, we were told dat civilization started from Africa!, dis is a popularly
opinion dat is even held by the western world.

The Egyptians were ones the super power,they controlled and ruled the WORLD just as USA does now!,of course they were
doing this with a great military might/technology in place!.They were able to manufacture poisonous sword,bow & arrow,durable
chariots,clothings and bullet proof/arrow proof shields!

If you look critically,you will see that this is the birth and most likely d origin of TECHNOLOGY!
Now,dont forget dat this same Egypt has a great creative sculptural/art ability, some of their work includes the EGYPTIAN MUMMY
& Images of their ancestors!.

Now,my problem is almost d same as yours because i had always thought dat dis same Egyptians are AFRICANS,dey are BLACK!, they laid d

foundation for technology!
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by Antiscam1: 3:21am On Jan 13, 2012
YES!, I am always of dat opinion dat d early Egyptians are black!,just like all earlier settler in Africa before intrusion
of d WEST!,dat is why dey never painted d Egyptians well for ones in the religious books because dey were black & different colour

but d works of d early sculptures has proved dat d Egyptians are originally black because all their carving only depicts a black man!
But when dis WORLD power shifted back to d west via Israel and subsequently America!, they change d course of History,they
distorted facts!,they make it look as if they originated technology!

Where as the Holy books shows that they were only relying on HEAVENLY POWERS against d highly sophisticated military of the then
BLACK EGYPTIANS!

Well,as for d poster,i only have one advise for you,which is CHANGE is d only constant thing!,Our turn has come and gone, now is their
turn,so d entire black race will not lead until d present WORLD ORDER collapse!, then the table turns around again as it was before!

All dis is being controlled by unseen natural forces! tongue, cheers
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mordz: 3:38am On Jan 13, 2012
Anti-scam hello,
I probably need to do some further editing on my post.

What happened a few thousand years ago is not really where we want to explore at this time. trust me, we will just keep going around in circles.
(Tell a present day egytian that his ancestors were black and listen to his response.)

The question is this.  Do we have any PRESENT DAY nigerian technology / ground up manufacturing company? If not, why not?
I am refusing to accept that a nation as vast as this one  with major natural resources, great weather, massive population and super rich
sharp as a razor individuals  doesnt have even one!!
What's missing?

I hope the next reply from someone else  offers up a name/ company we can follow up on.

Thanks so much for the reply.
I wont give up quite yet.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by okeyxyz(m): 3:51am On Jan 13, 2012
@anti_scam,
there's no such thing as one race being the origin of technology. every people had their own technologies which enabled them to survive the wild on their own before meeting other civilizations. you are painting a picture that depicts egypt as the origin of all advanced knowlege which is not so. Egypt dominated the world in the past because they invested more in military might than many of the nations they conquered, likewise all superpowers that had ever emerged.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by okeyxyz(m): 4:15am On Jan 13, 2012
mordz:

The question is this.  Do we have any PRESENT DAY nigerian technology / ground up manufacturing company? If not, why not?
I am refusing to accept that a nation as vast as this one  with major natural resources, great weather, massive population and super rich
sharp as a razor individuals  doesnt have even one!!
What's missing?

simple!!, they say necessity is the mother of all invention, so since the discovery of oil in nigeria, it was no longer necessary to be creative in order to make a living. that has been the story of nigeria ever since. govt does not need our taxes to earn income, they simply outsource the mining of crude oil to foreigners with the requisite know-how and share the revenues.

since the coups, counter coups & civil war that has caused the nigerian society to be polarized along ethnic lines, the strategies of any ethnic group in power has been to consolidate its position in the military, as against other ethnic groups, and to make sure any infrastructure that might empower the other ethnic group is duly sabotaged, so as to forestall any challenge to power. that is why virtually nothing works in nigeria, whether physical infrastruture, education, police, law, accountability\transparency in public office etc. you see that the only thing that work are simply private efforts of individuals and any private venture that depends on these infrastructures that govt is supposed to provide will surely fail.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by okeyxyz(m): 4:28am On Jan 13, 2012
so it's not that we are not creative, but rather the system is designed to frustrate us. Someone might ask "you just said necessity is the mother of all invention, shouldn't the frustration make us more creative then?" well, the answer is this: we live in a globalized society now, and with all your creativity and frustrations you find yourself competing against foreign companies who have been given every support by their govts and there is just no way you can survive that. so what do we do? we channel our efforts to desperate ventures: 419, drugs-pushing, 100%-importation & no exports of value added products, substandard products, fake medicines, join the looting in public offices and make sure that it's operations are not transparent.
My broda, trouble dey for 9ja o!!  grin
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mpaudena: 4:32pm On Jan 13, 2012
Some not too distant past examples - Eli Whitney's Cottin Gin; Charles Richard Patterson - auto manufacturing.

PRESENT DAY - Ronald E. Hall Sr. - Bridgewater Interiors. There are probably many small ones but the honest truth is that I am not interested in the topic enough to do prolonged research. And also you may think that the ones that are out there don't meet your standards but remember that even catepillar and mahindra machines are made with other complex machinery.

The bottom line though is that there are not enough of us that are manufacturing and I think that is the bigger point. Whether we are capable of manufacturing should not be a question considering that in many of the manufacturing companies there are black employees. Now why are we not starting or running these companies by much greater number, and if I am correct that there are many other small ones, then why can't we scale? That's a much larger issue. There is a problem that afflicts the African people worldwide and it is a result of history and it will take thinking that takes us from why don't we manufacture complex machinery to what are we going to do to change the situation - globally.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by BOMANY: 3:04am On Jan 14, 2012
Oga mordz, nice topic you are researching but tough one. Ethnically, black man has long way in inventions and manufacturing since 19th century. I did on line research and discovered many afro-Americans has played significant role in invention & manufacturing area. there are many websites that give information about it.
http://www.blackinventor.com/
Meanwhile, looking for such pure Ethnic (black) manufacturing is deceiving. There is no such pure ethnic manufacturing in our modern world. Even in Japan (e.g. Toshiba, Hitachi, etc) you will see some machines that are made in USA. The same in USA in Microsoft, you will see some components made in Japan or even China. There is no such ethnic boundaries, I guess.
However, I have to admit that most of black inventors & manufacturers are Americans.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by BOMANY: 3:06am On Jan 14, 2012
@okeyxyz, You got correctly

I am sure about one thing, if there is a genuine black manufacturer on earth, he can never be in Nigeria. The system here produces only consumers not manufacturers. Manufacturing is absolutely night mare of investors in Nigeria. Importation/ trade business is much easier and profitable than manufacturing. For example, importation of stoves is easier than manufacturing, assembling is the highest that can be done. Even assembling is not profitable as trade. Especially that if you are manufacturing a stove, then you need to go through the whole way alone, I mean manufacturing almost everything as there is no much factories around.
When I heard GEJ is talking about automotive manufacturing here, in a country that doesn’t manufacture a tire, I just laughed. It is just talk for local political consumption. Dunlop closed the last tire factory after Michelin did, just to adopt importation only.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Insatiable Human Wants / How Affiliate Marketers Are Making Money Online With These 7 Softwares / Does Anyone Know Anything About IBEN Investment?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.