Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder (2378 Views)

How Much Is Dollar Selling @ The Black Around You? I Just Bought @ 300 Now / Principles That Made Dangote The Richest Black Man On Earth / Depositors Lose N70m To Wonder Bank, Director Held (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by lade200(m): 1:43pm On Jan 14, 2012
This topic sounds interesting! I believe that black man can actually manufacture if the enabling environment is created. Recently, Nigeria launched a satellite which was designed and built by our engineers with the cooperation of foreigners. White brains are not superior to ours; think of people like Philip Emegwali (I hope i got the spelling right) and others such as Late Professor Ayodele Awojobi! it is only that right conditions are not created for these people to actualize their dreams and give vent to their creativity in our country. Dont you think so?
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mordz: 2:35am On Jan 17, 2012
hello lade200,
you are right about one thing. Nigeria or subsaharan countries dont seem to know how to create / enable the right type of environment
White people are not even considered in this discussion. (they may be a bit too far gone right now.) We should think, Indian, chinese, etc. for now.
Nigcomsat 1 was built by the china academy of space technology (it lost power in 2008) Nigcom sat1R the replacement was also built by them although thank God, at no cost to us. The other 2 satellites were built by sstl in England. Twenty-six Nigerian engineers attended a training program over an eighteen-month period at the satellite developer’s offices in the United Kingdom though.
hope I dont hurt ur feelings on this one but a simple cursory due diligence on philip emegwali would reveal vast level of untruths - to put it mildly- and self promotion. i dont know much yet about awojobi.
thanks anyway. you helped.
maybe one day, someone will provide a straight forward answer
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by Nextworldnx(m): 3:55pm On Jan 17, 2012
@op, i am personally elated to see that u have brought up this topic especially as it concerns ur book. I have equally notice dat d black man(espcially nigerians) concerns himself more about consuming than manufacturing,but i have decided to change that mindset. The best we have done so far as Nigerians is to assemble parts together. Well, do u blame them? When there is no govt‘ support and patronage.
So how do i affect my generation? Well, at a tender age of 5,i have always had this joy of watching my toys(cars, planes,trains and choppers) race against each other and i have long to build them myself. There and then i made up my mind to study Mech. Eng (wich i graduated 2 years ago).
While in skool,i realised that funds will be d major drawback in dis quest of mine,so (together with a like mind) we took up forex trading in 2008. Initially,it was up and down, but finally we hit our breakthrough in june 2010. That was when NEXTWORLD Inc. came to life. We at nextworld have just a mission, which is to make our dream a reality. So Mr @op, in d next 20-30 years, we will be producing cars,trains, airplanes, choppers from d scratch. Infact, i have always blived right from childhood dat i will be d first Nigerian astronaut.
This is our dream, so with ur prayers and God, we will get there. We are working round the clock day and night to get there.
@op, our mentality can be all about consumption now but some of us are working behind in d background to change that fact.
U might as well include us in ur book or remember this day. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mordz: 6:17pm On Jan 17, 2012
hello Nextworldnx.
Good Job bro!!
God bless and much success.
We will be watching and rooting for you.
thanks for the comments
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jan 17, 2012
V u ever heard d word goggle b4? If yes is ur answer to my question then i advice u to go goggle out d answer to ur question cos its right there waiting 4u my dear poster. Just a tip, george alcorn is a blackman and invented the imagin xray spectrometer. Frederick Mckinley jones is also a blackman, he invented d refrigeration system and so many other inventions by blacks. Ur question sounds more like an inferiority complex thing to me. Dat u vnt manufactured anything b4 as a black individual doesnt me no black person v ever done that b4, mind u we might be blacks skinwise but mental wise we r dfrnt frm eachother. If u v made a research on ur question then u wnt bring up dis issue which seems to be an impossibility to u judging frm ur responce to other contributors. Use ur goggle search engine more offten, dats an advice 2u.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 17, 2012
In addition too, u said some nigerians make fake things which boils down to dat inferiority complex tin i mentioned earlier. Just appreciate the fact that they were manufactured and nt envoked by incantations. The same products u tagged fake has its market i.e consumers and r even exported to other african countries too. Just that they dont enjoy media hype and packaging like the western made products as regards branding and marketing doesnt mean that they dnt ve their users. Its just a matter of choice, taste and affordability. Nigerians do manufacture things dou most of them dnt meet up with international standards as dictected by our western brothers but the truth is that those items were manufactured indigeniously. When u go down to d east and aba in particular and see locally made things here in nigeria then u will appreciate the fact that a blackman from nigeria do manufacture things, nt only assemblage.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mordz: 9:04pm On Jan 17, 2012
byrron hi,
first thanks for the input.
Listen friend, my method of research is pretty extensive because I want it to hold to any scrutiny. so i goggle, bing, wiki, yahoo, library of congress, encyclopedia, US patent and trademark office (which has a fully searchable online database for all patents as well as all current applications) etc then crosscheck and then challenge before I put it down in print. The point you should understand is, this is meant to be a positive/ uplifting exercise not one from a negative angle. The reason i used the provocative language (inferior) in the initial thread was becos i wanted to elicit straightforward responses and commentary. I apologize and will edit again. Also never said nigerians dont manufacture anything. There are soap, slippers, clothes, plastic bags etc manufacturers that we already know about. We were more concerned with technology manufacturers TODAY.
Would have liked to stick to the main topic so we dont go down a rabbit hole but George Alcorn was born in 1940 but xray electroscopy was developed in 1915. he was a physicist tho. Trust my research.
Anyway thanks.
I probably should move on
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jan 17, 2012
Wish u luck.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by DaRapture: 1:21am On Jan 18, 2012
AFRICAN-AMERICAN OWNED MANUFACTURERS  

World Wide Technology Inc.
In 2010, revenue rose 45 percent to $3.2 billion as demand from the public and private sectors soared for this Maryland Heights, Mo., firm's technology products and consulting services. David L. Steward, chairman of the board, founded World Wide Technology in 1990. Prior to working at WWT, Steward, who earned a bachelor's degree in business management from Central Missouri State University, was a senior-level manager at Federal Express, Wagner Electric and Missouri Pacific Railroad.

Bridgewater Interiors LLC
The Detroit company, a tier-one supplier of motor-vehicle parts and accessories, is in a tough industry. Its joint-venture partner, Johnson Controls, a technology and industrial company, owns 49 percent of the business. Ronald E. Hall Sr. has been CEO at Bridgewater since its 1998 launch. The company, which had revenue of $1.1 billion in 2009, is known for its high-quality work on popular Ford and General Motors vehicles.

TAG Holdings LLC
CEO Joseph B. Anderson leads the Troy, Mich., parent company of a variety of businesses. TAG Holdings controls a Korean and a Chinese plumbing ceramics maker, four automobile wheel-assembly suppliers, and a firm that offers consolidation and warehouse services. Revenue in 2010 was more than $700 million. Anderson is a former White House fellow and a decorated West Point graduate. From 1979 to 1992, he was a General Motors executive. He is a vice chair of the Obama administration's Manufacturing Council.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by AjanleKoko: 9:56am On Jan 18, 2012
@OP,
We have had many black manufacturers and inventors. Especially in the US. Just check out http://www.blackinventor.com/. In any case, the US is the home of innovation. They're still the only predominantly white country to produce a black president (even though is he half white undecided)

Truth be told, during the Industrial Age, the majority of the Black World was under slavery and colonization, and blacks were used like beasts of burden. You'd hardly produce many inventors under that kind of repression.

As per black nations today . . . well, we have been severally crippled by neo-colonialism and undue foreign interference, which has grounded most black economies, and prevented them from producing visionary leaders of thought. Most people usually take a simplistic view about this, but it is a fact we can't ignore. The West has created an artificial dependency paradigm for Blacks, which has largely prevented many black nations from developing their own institutions and think-tanks. Without an underlying philosophy, it will be hard to create a culture of innovation.
Re: Can The Black Man Manufacture Anything? I Am Beginning To Wonder by mosesjingo: 4:22am On Jan 23, 2012
hi mordz, this is my very first post on this forum. The truth is  your question virtually pushed me in.  I guess it is an acknowledgment of the that as a black man myself, this is a very serious question indeed. Let me quickly add that I'm in my forties also, so you can understand were am coming from. In response to your question, however, I would first like to pose it differently. That is, Is there any fundamental physiological difference  btw the black man  and ,first, the white man and ,now the Chinese and the Indians such that while the black man seem not to have found his place in this industrial and information age ,the others tend to carry on with easy? To this I answer, No! There is no fundamental difference. As we are now, the Whites once where. This is equally true for the Chinese and Indians.  I Know, becos I devoted a greater part of my undergraduate days in the eighties to this question. And, I learned that there was a period in European history referred to as the Dark ages( A period of ignorance)   Now,to your question the way you presented it.  To this, too, I answer Yes, the black man can manufacture and indeed has been manufacturing things. Except, of course, by manufacturing you mean inventing or scientific discovery-Then , I guess I must admit that there are few shining examples. This is not to say they are not there. First, you have to remember that the black man did not write his own history and he was for a long time himself someone else property. However,  Drive your car to your mechanic , tell him to pls itemize the different parts and the names of the manufacturer, you will find that they don't all carry the name of the car maker. This true for even toys. What this means is that much of today's production is never by one individual or company carrying out the entire process from raw material to finish product. If any thing, the problem with the black man is the black man himself. First, he loves other race more than he loves himself. Anyone who is not proud of himself can never be indeed Proud! and without pride the CAN DO SPIRIT would be far from thee. and  so would the miracle called science.  Next, he feels so mentally inferior to the extent that he becomes so mentally lazy that he runs away form the very vehicle - questioning habit and mathematics- that would carry him to technological heights. Mordz, think about it, which race is the most deceitful , insincere and unloving?  You think there is no link? Google for the history of science and you won't get far before you realize that another word for Genius is Love: and without sincerity you cannot underline the facts; and that, a technological mind is pure and clean, and deceit is to such a  mind as a splash of  grease on a white cotton. Finally, thanks for
this interesting  question and the calm manner you respond to those who prefer to watch and mock history .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Start Exporting Nigeria Food Stuff Today With Buyers Emails And Phone Numbers / How Affiliate Marketers Are Making Money Online With These 7 Softwares / Dangote, World's 334th Richest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.