Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,665 members, 7,823,883 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Help - Nigerian Visa Expired Due To Airline Issue. What Now? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Help - Nigerian Visa Expired Due To Airline Issue. What Now? (2690 Views)

Canada Begins Compulsory Fingerprint For Nigerian Visa Applicants / Help: Nigerian Accent Is Killing My Opportunities In Usa / Applying For Nigerian Visa For My Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help - Nigerian Visa Expired Due To Airline Issue. What Now? by sanguish: 8:33am On Jan 09, 2012
My girlfriend's visa for three months expired on the 7th (sat). She was unable to get a flight out on Friday because there were no seats.

Now she is deathly afraid to go to the airport and try and fly out. I've suggested contacting the Canadian Consulate to see if they can help.

She also is just afraid of leaving the hotel at this moment due to the protests tomorrow. Will banks and the airport be open again on Tuesday or Wed? I'm hoping she can get out as soon as tomorrow night if the visa issue can be resolved. I'm sure it happens all the time that a day or two issue comes up due to the limited flights out to the states.

Can anyone provide any information that might be helpful? She's so scared and I regret not having gone with her months ago.

Thank you.
Re: Help - Nigerian Visa Expired Due To Airline Issue. What Now? by justwise(m): 9:42am On Jan 09, 2012
sanguish:

My girlfriend's visa for three months expired on the 7th (sat). She was unable to get a flight out on Friday because there were no seats.

Now she is deathly afraid to go to the airport and try and fly out. I've suggested contacting the Canadian Consulate to see if they can help.

She also is just afraid of leaving the hotel at this moment due to the protests tomorrow. Will banks and the airport be open again on Tuesday or Wed? I'm hoping she can get out as soon as tomorrow night if the visa issue can be resolved. I'm sure it happens all the time that a day or two issue comes up due to the limited flights out to the states.

Can anyone provide any information that might be helpful? She's so scared and I regret not having gone with her months ago.

Thank you.

If your girlfriend is a Canadian then let her contact the Canadian embassy for help.
Re: Help - Nigerian Visa Expired Due To Airline Issue. What Now? by sanguish: 6:16am On Jan 11, 2012
She did (that was my first suggestion).

I'm not sure what they said, but she's talking $1300US to get it renewed long enough to get out of the country.

Of course considering no flights are happening by the looks of things, at least not KLM

It's going to be hell getting out with the backlog.
Re: Help - Nigerian Visa Expired Due To Airline Issue. What Now? by justwise(m): 9:44am On Jan 11, 2012
sanguish:

She did (that was my first suggestion).

I'm not sure what they said, but she's talking $1300US to get it renewed long enough to get out of the country.

Of course considering no flights are happening by the looks of things, at least not KLM

It's going to be hell getting out with the backlog.

$1300 to get a Nigerian visa? That is ridiculous
Re: Help - Nigerian Visa Expired Due To Airline Issue. What Now? by asiwaju: 10:54am On Jan 11, 2012
@sanguish,

$1300US for what?if your girlfriend Nigeria visa expired,she should explain to immigration what happend,this is really not a big deal,i have witness so many like that at the Nigeria Airport and at the end you are allowed to fly,please this is not a criminal offence.

Asiwaju.
Re: Help - Nigerian Visa Expired Due To Airline Issue. What Now? by justwise(m): 10:57am On Jan 11, 2012
@Asiwaju.

Welcome back. grin
Re: Help - Nigerian Visa Expired Due To Airline Issue. What Now? by asiwaju: 11:45am On Jan 11, 2012
@justwise,

Thank you my brother,Happy New Year to you and your family.

Asiwaju.
Re: Help - Nigerian Visa Expired Due To Airline Issue. What Now? by justwise(m): 11:48am On Jan 11, 2012
asiwaju:

@justwise,

Thank you my brother,Happy New Year to you and your family.

Asiwaju.

Happy new year to you as well, you ran away from NL.
Re: Help - Nigerian Visa Expired Due To Airline Issue. What Now? by asiwaju: 12:17pm On Jan 11, 2012
@justwise,

No,i didnt run away, grin grin,i was just very very busy,but now i hope to be more present here,Nairaland Forever.

Asiwaju.
Re: Help - Nigerian Visa Expired Due To Airline Issue. What Now? by sanguish: 7:08am On Jan 12, 2012
the $1300 seemed insane to me as well. But who knows, I'm not sure what the issues are with fines, "tips", etc.

Of course right now flying out seems to be impossible, so getting it fixed at the airport seems impossible. She's looking into trying to get to Ghanna to get home. This was originally to be a 2 week trip.

Are any airlines still flying out of the airport?

I'm not sure how to send money to her for a ticket with the banks in Lagos closed.

Right now she's scared and just wants to get home.
Re: Help - Nigerian Visa Expired Due To Airline Issue. What Now? by hercules07: 7:38pm On Jan 12, 2012
Worst case they deport her to Canada, she should go there and explain to them, immigration offences are not criminal.
Re: Help - Nigerian Visa Expired Due To Airline Issue. What Now? by igbonla(m): 12:16am On Jan 13, 2012
sanguish:

the $1300 seemed insane to me as well. But who knows,  I'm not sure what the issues are with fines, "tips", etc.

Of course right now flying out seems to be impossible, so getting it fixed at the airport seems impossible. She's looking into trying to get to Ghanna to get home. This was originally to be a 2 week trip.

Are any airlines still flying out of the airport?

I'm not sure how to send money to her for a ticket with the banks in Lagos closed.

Right now she's scared and just wants to get home.

She should calm down, heaven is not going to fall, the airline (KLM?) will sort it out knowing the strike affected several people. She should be firm and not succumb to paying anybody, including the airline folks (they might want to play a fast one on her). Although she need not even declare that the visa is expired if she can do online check in and has no checked in luggage.

Not sure if going to Ghana is a smart idea or does she have visa to enter GH? The fuel issue should be resolved by Friday (or Saturday).
Re: Help - Nigerian Visa Expired Due To Airline Issue. What Now? by DaraAlina(f): 2:32am On Jan 13, 2012
Klm is allowing people to reschedule and reroute departing and even incoming flight without any charges absolutely free hurry up while you can

Typing from my bb sorry
God Bless and for sure everything will be okay
Re: Help - Nigerian Visa Expired Due To Airline Issue. What Now? by sanguish: 5:19am On Jan 13, 2012
igbonia: thanks for the calming. I'm surprised that Immigration doesn't check. The problem is she is paying cash. Although I'll try and convince her to get that worked out. I had thought the entry visa was required and that everyone got checked by immigration.

The airline people might pull a fast one? So she's much better off with a purchased ticket and online checkin. Are you in the country and have that experience? (I'm not and want to make sure that works that way).

DaraAlina: unfortunately, she is paying cash, and has no pre-arranged seat. So unfortunately it's not going to allow KLM to fix the ticket.

Hercules07. I agree it isn't as big a deal as she things and deportation would be one option. But this has been a hell of a trip, and she has been screwed over by a number of people.

Thanks all

(1) (Reply)

About To Travel To Serbia / Lol,fight Burst Inside A Travelling Bus To Lagos Right Now!!! / Top 10 and worst 10 international Airports in Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.