Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,985 members, 7,956,677 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 04:46 PM

Why The Comparism Btwn Physicists And Mathematicians? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why The Comparism Btwn Physicists And Mathematicians? (1772 Views)

Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread / Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. / Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Comparism Btwn Physicists And Mathematicians? by vislabraye(m): 3:41pm On Jan 09, 2012
I have noticed something about physicist. They like to compare themselves with mathematicians, and they say claim to know more. I thought it was only imy school, but its almost everywhere i go.
I recently met a physicist and he started talking about physics and the derivation of certain laws ( G, gravitational constant). He knew i studied mathematics and he asked me whether I know how to derive wave equation. He was become obnoxious so i changed the topic.

I have noticed this trend amongst many of them. Though I love physics and I did a lot of it I don't think its smart comparing the two subjects.
Re: Why The Comparism Btwn Physicists And Mathematicians? by yamakuza: 5:03pm On Jan 09, 2012
Dont mind them jare.
[s]
If only they knew there was nothing original in Physics![/s]

Next time, ask them why they r not comparing themselves to EE.
Re: Why The Comparism Btwn Physicists And Mathematicians? by vislabraye(m): 8:02pm On Jan 11, 2012
Thats their way. I dont know whether its only in Nigeria or every where else?
Re: Why The Comparism Btwn Physicists And Mathematicians? by yamakuza: 8:07pm On Jan 11, 2012
I'm sure its only in Nigeria/Africa.

Too much hot air.
Re: Why The Comparism Btwn Physicists And Mathematicians? by RedReact: 5:13pm On Apr 09, 2012
Mathematics is the mother of Physics. I studied Physics and I can never compare myself with a mathematician. What would have changed the orientation of some physicists about mathematics is the way they teach the course in Nigeria. Physics in Nigerian schools is all the theory of mathematics but crossing over the land, it is a different game entirely. Everything happening in Physics in mainly from mathematics.
Physics and EE? There is a difference between them (though our schools tried to put interest of Nigerian studenst back into Physics by introducing Physics with Electronics).
Re: Why The Comparism Btwn Physicists And Mathematicians? by AjanleKoko: 6:43pm On Apr 09, 2012
A little healthy rivalry doesn't hurt. Though we can be ultra-competitive, even to the point of absurdity, in Nigeria.

That said, the title of Newton's famous book 'Mathematical principles of Natural Philosophy' makes the relationship obvious. Physics is the application of mathematics in order to understand the workings of natural phenomena. Physics is, in fact, an application of mathematics.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Thread About Public Health: Career Discuss / How To Produce Both Medicated And Antiseptic Soap - Make Money With It. / Kprng Is Recruiting O!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.