Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,544 members, 7,823,384 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

I Want To Drop Out Of School - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Want To Drop Out Of School (11545 Views)

When You Are A Drop Out In Nigeria (picture) / Shekarau Meets Commissioners Over Extension Of School Holiday (Ebola Prevention) / OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Drop Out Of School by vivika(f): 12:08am On Jan 10, 2012
I am tired of university, half the things they have taught or are teaching me i find them useless. Sometimes i ask myself why i am in university and i always come up with flimsy excuses. I want to drop out because the pressure from my mother is getting too much that i cannot take it anymore, her expectations are beginning to get me depressed, it feels to me like my entire family sees me as one shinny star that i am not. Some of them are even waiting for me to fail so that they can tell my mum "i told you so". I don't know what to do and i can't talk to her about it because she would just freak out and say NO! please any advice because this whole process is beginning to feel like a punishment to me and its taking a toll on me emotionally and mentally!
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by ADEBYTE: 12:56am On Jan 10, 2012
@ poster.I sincerely appreciate ur utmost sincerity. I don't know what u have gone through or going through but all I have to say is for you to trust in God and always pray.Also I want you to change the attitude of looking down upon urself. Not
Until u start believing in yourself that things would change. Every mother wants the best for their children and I don't blame her for her zeal. Forget about what people say about you and don't fret youself physically or emotion. With God,all things are possible.lastly education is very important, do not give in to temptations because it is one of the tactics of the devil

1 Like

Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by Mayflowa(m): 1:54am On Jan 10, 2012
I can't say I understand how you feel inside. But I do appreciate your openness. A lot of today successful people have dropped out of school. Bill gate and Mark zuckerberg are in close sight! You won't start it and you won't end it.

But all these people found a reason to leave. They were making money and wanted to concentrate on their pastime which double as their job. So, is there anything you are falling into should you drop out of school? or there are other area you wanna explore. Let us know about your plan please.

In the absence of any, then you are derailing and need to jolt yourself back to reality. Times are even worse economically now. You cannot afford to blow up this wonderful chance. There are a lot of schools. sport schools, fashion school, mechanics school, graphix training school, makeup school etc. It doesnt have to be physics or literature. Find your interest and enjoy yourself with it. When you do find the one you like or what you love to do, let your parents know. Am sure they would understand.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by Odunnu: 6:17am On Jan 10, 2012
I'm sending you to the family section where you will get mature and better councelling.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by Odunnu: 6:18am On Jan 10, 2012
I'm sending you to the family section where you will get mature and better councelling.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by Roland17(m): 7:00am On Jan 10, 2012
Certain factors are responsible for you feeling this way

Are u studying a Major that interests u? or a Major you were influenced to study? if you are doing the latter, its very easy to loose interest, the value and importance of education can not be over emphasized, its not about the degree you graduate with, its about the things u consider irrelevant that become corner stones in shaping your future.

Another question you should ask yourself is "if u eventually drop out of school, what viable plans have u drafted to ensure you don't become idle and can still become the woman of your dreams, do you have a passion for something you are not doing yet?, its about convincing your self first before getting worried about what other people think about you.

I am expecting a reply to questions i raised so that we can get u sorted out so that you don't get depressed,

1 Like

Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by armyofone(m): 8:28am On Jan 10, 2012
if you are in the US as stated, why not talk with your student advisor for LOA? You can take the quarter off to refuel. girl, don't quit.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by Metalgoong(m): 9:01am On Jan 10, 2012
Is this not the same girl who is maintaining her shape so as to attract a celebrity husband . . . Honestly, I think dropping out of school would afford you the time to look for celebrity husbands.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 9:10am On Jan 10, 2012
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by mashnino(m): 11:10am On Jan 10, 2012
don't really have anyfing to tell you

but sincerely speaking you need a BIG HUG

(come here babe),

"ain't joking"
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by vivika(f): 2:52pm On Jan 10, 2012
Metalgoong:

Is this not the same girl who is maintaining her shape so as to attract a celebrity husband . . . Honestly, I think dropping out of school would afford you the time to look for celebrity husbands.

Bia Mr. respect yourself on my post oh! i don warn you now! Yes i am proud of my figure, in a nation where more than 45% of girls my age are obese and i come from a line of fat people, i am very proud of my effort. Honestly i think your low cognitive ability is the reason you just said this, so i will just spare myself the trouble of going any further
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by ADEBYTE: 3:53pm On Jan 10, 2012
@vivika.considering ur last two outburst on the last two respondent,I think you r the cause of ur worries. U can not have ur cake and eat it. The truth is always bittet.it just that you know what you want for urself but u r too in a hurry to achieve them forgetting about the presure from ur mum.I would advice you that u settle ur mind and determine why is more important to u.priority
U can not use a single to kill two birds. I would be happy to talk with you on fone if u happy to send me ur contacts through biyiade2@yahoo.com
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jan 10, 2012
Dear Poster,

You own no one an explanation. Already, there are good responses to your post. Kindly re-read Adebyte's, Chaircover's post. Etc

PS: Maybe, the LAST thing I'd ever do before replying sincere posts like yours is to go through your profile page, and read up your last few posts. It's pretty saddenning that so many times, people do this and they comment with a bias mind, judging the intention of the poster, really saddening.

Maybe we should give a break to this act, and comment reasonably.

I wish you best of luck.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by dayokanu(m): 7:41pm On Jan 10, 2012
Some quick questions, if you drop out of school what do you hope to do afterwards?

What would you be doing when your mates are in school?

I am not agianst you dropping out but put the following in place before you do

have a plan of what you intend to achieve and how you would achieve them,

Dont be unnnecsarily optimistic cos life isnt easy at all

How many more semesters do you have to graduate?

Then did your mom take a loan to send you to school, if she did then you have to reimburse her the money before you drop out

I cant borrow you money to better your life(e.g run a business) and you quit without paying me back instantly.

NB: i am a celebrity so your dreams have been answered. Send me your full sized pictures and let me evaluate
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by vivika(f): 7:56pm On Jan 10, 2012
ADEBYTE:

@vivika.considering your last two outburst on the last two respondent,I think you r the cause of your worries. U can not have your cake and eat it. The truth is always bittet.it just that you know what you want for urself but u r too in a hurry to achieve them forgetting about the presure from your mum.I would advice you that u settle your mind and determine why is more important to u.priority
U can not use a single to kill two birds. I would be happy to talk with you on fone if u happy to send me your contacts through biyiade2@yahoo.com

thank you so much! i actually think that what is wrong. I really want to achieve the things i mentioned but the problem is that i don't see how this school is helping me achieve any of them in any way. I have my priorities right but the problem is that i am very sick and tired of people quantifying how good i am in business by the grades i get in business school. The level of competition here is stifling, agreed NYU has an amazing social life but it still doesn't change the fact that you are in NYU!
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by mashnino(m): 8:01pm On Jan 10, 2012
freecocoa:

See this one,I know you've been planning on dropping out,now you are happy you are not alone.

because of mamalito i won't lve skool again oo

i will finish skool, af my money af my car and cum and marry my swit mamalito

#okbye
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by vivika(f): 8:10pm On Jan 10, 2012
chaircover:

I am sorry but I am not going to pat you on the head. Life is not a bed of roses and there is no pain without gain. Half of the things I learnt in secondary school makes no meaning to me too. How many times do I use Pythagoras theory or fractions in my day to day life? How many times do I talk about Mungo Park or Mary Slessor as a topic at parties?

Education is not just about specific topics or projects but it teaches you other things such as social skills, networking, communication skills,  it broadens  your mind, teaches you how to work on your own and as a team, commitment and so on.

If your parents have supported you throughout your life up until this stage the least you can do is to get that degree so that they can relax knowing that they have given you the best start in life.

The whole world is going through economic tightening at the moment and only the best of the best are getting and keeping their jobs.

Yes many people have made it without an education but somehow in most cases it always shows up. For every Bill Gates or Richard Branson there are thousands of frustrated people in dead end jobs who are probably regretting that they didn’t get that degree.

Most courses are only 3 -4 years, so I will say carry on to the end and if you want to do another course in a different subject that you prefer after you graduate then go for it. Quite a number of people don’t work in the professions that they have their first degree in anyway.

The way i see it, with the globalization of today's world, education is not a thing you have to take sharply sharply. You can continue your credits anytime at NYU so that one is not even my problem. The thing is that, i don't want go through school like people like freecocoa did, i want to come out in flying colours. Its not about how i finish to me but its about how well i finish. For some reason i see myself, towards the end just screwing everything up, all my hardwork and effort gone down the drain and for what? for my mother to come and tell me how much of a disappointment i am to her like i din't already know. I was thinking just save her the heartbreak, money, time and expectations by dropping out. Honestly i don't even compare myself to the people you mentioned so i don't even bother using them to buttress my point on this matter, all that is happening is that i am scared, i hate failure and i hate seeing my mum disappointed all over again with me.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by vivika(f): 8:14pm On Jan 10, 2012
armyofone:

if you are in the US as stated, why not talk with your student advisor for LOA? You can take the quarter off to refuel. girl, don't quit.

you don't think i tried that? i did and she said the exact thing, she said i was suffering from a case of right priority, wrong timing and i believe her to an extent, but the problem is , MUMSI NO GO GREE! you know how Nigerian mothers can be now, you tell her you want to take a semester off she automatically thinks you want to drop out. Abeg i am not even up for that convo with her.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by armyofone(m): 8:29pm On Jan 10, 2012
okay girl smiley. a time out with dayokanu might help. pls contact him.
you know a nice date (he would pay so don't stress on money).
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by ADEBYTE: 9:03pm On Jan 10, 2012
@vivika. Further from all my responses and gathering all my observation, one think that I must really say is just to count urself been very lucky that in the first place u have got a good mother who understands tha importance of education and also believes in its dividends. Also I should even congratulate you more because u r not in nija but in the states studying in one of the prestigeous university.
The possibilities are certain that u will definitely complete ur studies at the stipulated time without any fear of strike action or any unforseen circumstances. Looking at what u have achieved so far, I must really commend u because I sincerely believe that the issues have always been a burden to u for long but u just could bear it alone and which has prompted you to seek for people's opium.I would advice u to summon the courage to continue in uir stride to complete ur education because if eventally u start ur business, u still need the basis. U r only been thought theory while at school
But u will need them to survive when u embrace the practicality. U mon and brothers are in the business now,but one of u if not u need the education one way or the other for the survival of the business. Would u be happy when ur family business start dwindling sequel to issues arising from lack of knowledge. Come to think of it even most businesses thriving well sends their staff to school for professional courses which would be beneficiary to the company. After ur studies at NYU,u may also need to talk short professional courses to succeed in the business world. Lastly, I must iterate that life is all about change, if anything happens to ur family business and ur have been able to complete ur study, u would
Definitely just go back home, dust ur certificate and hopefully , u have something to fall back at. Now consider if u did not finish ur education and then u r 30+, what would u do.
A world is enough for the wise
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by sophy09: 9:05pm On Jan 10, 2012
@Poster

I know how you feel. I was once in your shoes. My pressure was from myself trying so hard not to disappoint my parent because of the amount of money paid. Many times I wanted to give up but I tried my best and I did things one day at a time. At the end, I succeeded. Now I am so proud of myself and accomplishment and so proud to tell people about my qualifications. It has brought me these far and places I thought I could not work in.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by Nekai(f): 10:08pm On Jan 10, 2012
Be patient with your mother, she just doesn't want to lose out on the dream she has for your life. You may think she doesn't understand you and doesn't know what will make you happy, but as many older people will tell you, she can see the big picture in a way that your 20 year old mind cannot even fathom. From your posts on here about your wide variety of goals for your life it is clear that you are a regular direction-less youth. At one point I was there too. Like you I had a mother breathing down my back and I'm glad that I did. School is not easy but compared to the real world, school is a piece of cake.

Stay in school. Reduce your courseload if you must, but stay in school.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by dayokanu(m): 10:39pm On Jan 10, 2012
armyofone:

okay girl smiley. a time out with dayokanu might help. pls contact him.
you know a nice date (he would pay so don't stress on money).

Op take this advise, BTW I am a celebrity ask around people would tell you who I am

Even though I am surprised you dont know me
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by freecocoa(f): 10:53pm On Jan 10, 2012
mashnino:

because of mamalito i won't lve skool again oo

i will finish skool, af my money af my car and precipitate and marry my swit mamalito

#okbye
You better cos mamali's got a very high taste in men. cool
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by ADEBYTE: 10:58pm On Jan 10, 2012
@freecocoa. I am very sorry for her outburst on u. But I would have preferred you to exhibit maturiry over this issue. I would enshew annonyance and embrace love without retaliating as 'eye for an eye'. I would have done the same if I were to be in ur shoe.she has enough that she is coping with already so let thread wisely.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by dayokanu(m): 11:06pm On Jan 10, 2012
vivika:

LWKMD! what celebrity goes around saying i am a celebrity bikonu! You must think i am desperate abi? Anyways, to answer your questions, i intend on going my mother and brothers in the family business. I have seen the flaws and obstacles of the business and i have plans to make them right because if i am going to be honest with you, i don't see myself working any other place apart from the family business and i already know what i want to achieve in life its just that my professors don't know, i just feel this whole being in school is a colossal waste of time if i am going to join the family business. I have 4more semesters to graduate BTW and no she didn't.

Assuming your family DO NOT want you to join in the family business what happens? Or are you going to force yourself into it

BTW I am a celebrity I wont tell you any more
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by ADEBYTE: 11:14pm On Jan 10, 2012
@freecocoa. Thanks.it is one of those things'youthful deliquency'
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by freecocoa(f): 11:20pm On Jan 10, 2012
^
Its cool dear,children of nowadays lack manners but with God's grace we will keep trying to make them into better persons. Take care dear. cheesy cool
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by tpia5: 12:22am On Jan 11, 2012
There's no problem nah.

The poster's ambition is in order since there are still plenty of celebrities for her to marry.

Tuface, dbanj, aki or is it pawpaw, are single and searching.

Rich too.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by armyofone(m): 3:16am On Jan 11, 2012
lol getting her congo meat shined kwa  grin grin i see where nwa mama is coming from  grin grin. after doing one night stand, please biko nu still read book my sister. no quit.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-841131.0.html
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by sophy09: 3:47am On Jan 11, 2012
Wow!!! From what I have read so far, I think the poster is someone who has not experience REAL LIFE. Every thing is served on a silver platter and I guess most of the respondent will testify to it. She thinks life is a bed of roses. Mummy got my back. But baby-girl, look to the future mummy may not be there. Celebrities turns out to be forgotten and not celebrated. So my advise to u, STAY IN SCHOOL AND BE YOUR OWN CELEBRITY !!!
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by nike4luv(f): 9:36am On Jan 11, 2012
Good Morning Guys,
Please refrain from using abusive words at each other, regardless of how strongly you feel about an opinion. Please use posts like Chaircover's  as a lead on how you can get an advice across without being judgmental. The family section is here to offer matured and well sought out advice. Lets practice what is right.

Many Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Free Computer Science Project Topics And Material/download / Unijos Admission: 2nd List! / Engineering Students Forum::We Design, We Build, We Construct...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.