Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,797 members, 7,810,074 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest (1001 Views)

VP Osinbajo Leads Nigerian Delegation To World Economic Forum In South Africa / Nigerians In The Uk Cleared For Fuel Subsidy Protest On Friday 6th / Another Fuel Subsidy Protest In Ibadan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by Nnenna1(f): 2:08am On Jan 10, 2012
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jan/09/chinua-achebe-nigeria-fuel-subsidy-protests

Chinua Achebe is heading a group of 38 Nigerian authors who are throwing their weight behind mass protests in the country at the government's withdrawal of the state fuel subsidy.

The internationally acclaimed, bestselling novelist Achebe was joined by Caine prize winner EC Osondu, Commonwealth writers prize winner Helon Habila and 35 other Nigerian authors in issuing a "Statement of Solidarity with the Nigerian People" on Sunday. Thousands of protesters have taken to the streets of Nigeria since the announcement at the beginning of the year that the country's state fuel subsidy programme would be discontinued, leading petrol pump prices to more than double to around $1 a litre.

The authors called the timing of the move "ill-advised", coming as it does shortly after a series of religiously motivated attacks on churchgoers.

"We stand with the Nigerian people who are protesting the removal of oil subsidy which has placed an unbearable economic weight on their lives. This action has clearly imposed an untenable and unfair burden on those segments of Nigerians who are already impoverished – subsisting on less than $2 a day. We call on President Jonathan to immediately change course," said the authors in their statement.

"By reverting to the old prices of petroleum products, President Jonathan can work to diffuse tension in the country and exemplify the true servant leader who not only serves but also listens to his people. To insist on having his way, and to deploy state security and legal apparati to crush growing popular uprisings is to stamp on a highly valued tenet of democracy – the right to peaceful assembly – and to inadvertently promote greater violence in the country."

Achebe and his fellow authors also called on President Goodluck Jonathan and Nigeria's political leaders to "tackle the state of lawlessness in certain parts of the nation and address the trepidation and rage that has reached dangerous levels within the Nigerian populace".

"Clearly, the sophistication and deadly impact of the terrorist attacks suggest an agenda to create widespread fear and, possibly, to foment anarchy or war. President Jonathan has no greater duty than to ensure that Nigerians are safe wherever they live or visit within the country," they wrote, suggesting that Jonathan "outline both short and long-term plans to comprehensively address the scourge of terror", that he "appoint competent and committed officials to head the various security agencies", and that he "serve as an agent to heal the many divisions plaguing Nigeria, and persuade all well-meaning people to enlist in the fight against festering violence".

Good move on his part. I hope that soon, ALL Nigerians form a united front and put the government to task on this.
Re: Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by Nobody: 2:23am On Jan 10, 2012
First worthwhile thing he ever did after things fell apart in NIgeria.

But old man should go and siddon somewhere sha.
Re: Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by Nobody: 2:30am On Jan 10, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Nah, I think he just got tired of Nigeria. He did his bit though. He is an old man and still resolute as ever. Compare him with young people on Nairaland like Onlytruth, though young but already defeated. No more fire in their bellies!
Re: Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by Nobody: 2:34am On Jan 10, 2012
LOL I'm just saying. . . for his health sake.
Re: Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by Katsumoto: 2:36am On Jan 10, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

angry
Re: Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by Nobody: 2:37am On Jan 10, 2012
Hi.  cheesy
Re: Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by Onlytruth(m): 2:48am On Jan 10, 2012
Aigbofa:

Nah, I think he just got tired of Nigeria. He did his bit though. He is an old man and still resolute as ever. Compare him with young people on Nairaland like Onlytruth, though young but already defeated. No more fire in their bellies!

lmao! grin grin
No my friend, we have a different kind of fire, and such fire will last till the goal is attained: PEACE AND SECURITY to my children yet unborn. We shall get there. cool cool cool
Re: Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by jason123: 2:50am On Jan 10, 2012
Papa Achebe should be RESPECTED BY ALL!

@Topic:
Well done Papa!!! History will remember you whether you support this or not!
Re: Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by BlackPikiN(m): 3:37am On Jan 10, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Na wa O.
A man on wheel chair?
Re: Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by Nchara: 3:44am On Jan 10, 2012
Katsumoto:

angry

An emoticon is all you gat to render for that most idiotic comment? If it was the other way you will preach sermons.
Re: Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by Katsumoto: 4:17am On Jan 10, 2012
Nchara:

An emoticon is all you gat to render for that most idiotic comment? If it was the other way you will preach sermons.

Why do you love being punished like this?

Firstly - I could have chosen not to respond to ileke's posts, emoticon or not. You wouldn't know whether I read and approved/disapproved

Secondly - A quick review of your posts today alone will reveal that you have made many more eediotic, moronic, imbecilic, and vile posts. How many of those did I respond to? I stopped cautioning posters against making incendiary comments a long time ago once I realised that many are bent on being a certain way. You sir, are the king of such posters. You can't be reasoned and I will not waste my precious time trying to make you see reason because you are a sad, lonely, and bitter man. Ileke on the otherhand, only started responding to hateful characters like your goodself, sir Mekus/akin-egba/igbobuiogb/environer/amongst many others. Any intelligent reader would observe that she got my message.

Thirdly - You didn't pay for my education or provide moral guidance to me growing up. You also don't pay for my Internet access. I am free and at liberty to do as I please, as you are equally entitled to, and will use/fight-for that liberty at all times.

You can carry on making an arse of yourself and I will carry on ignoring you and your types.
Re: Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by Nchara: 5:09am On Jan 10, 2012
Katsumoto:

Why do you love being punished like this?

Firstly - I could have chosen not to respond to ileke's posts, emoticon or not. You wouldn't know whether I read and approved/disapproved

Secondly - A quick review of your posts today alone will reveal that you have made many more eediotic, moronic, imbecilic, and vile posts. How many of those did I respond to? I stopped cautioning posters against making incendiary comments a long time ago once I realised that many are bent on being a certain way. You sir, are the king of such posters. You can't be reasoned and I will not waste my precious time trying to make you see reason because you are a sad, lonely, and bitter man. Ileke on the otherhand, only started responding to hateful characters like your goodself, sir Mekus/akin-egba/igbobuiogb/environer/amongst many others. Any intelligent reader would observe that she got my message.

Thirdly - You didn't pay for my education or provide moral guidance to me growing up. You also don't pay for my Internet access. I am free and at liberty to do as I please, as you are equally entitled to, and will use/fight-for that liberty at all times.

You can carry on making an arse of yourself and I will carry on ignoring you and your types.

You see what I just said? You just preached a sermon. You are very predictable ma friend. grin grin grin grin
Re: Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by hercules07: 6:34am On Jan 10, 2012
I am just so happy that real life Igbos are quite different from the NL ones, it seems the ones on NL are in dreamland, a lot of the protests are being led by Igbos who want a better NIGERIA.
Re: Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by Nobody: 7:10am On Jan 10, 2012
where are those empty headed traders who boycotted the strike?
Re: Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by nastydamus(m): 8:37am On Jan 10, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Apparently you've been doing a lot more worthwhile stuff. We just  probably haven't heard about them, right?

Yeye dey smell!
Re: Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by 1025: 8:53am On Jan 10, 2012
in Achebe i find a real proffessor and a real man who does not dance to be praised or speak to get contracts. we have seen this man reject national awards from FG citing corruption in govt as his reasons.
as long as i live, i will continue to respect this man because he is not like the peter obis and his likes who can't win anything on their own. the case of peter obi is like that of an orphan after the death of ojukwu. he is a confused man now as he search for a soft landing spot.
na God go punish peter obi for this sale out of the igbos.
Re: Chinua Achebe Leads Nigerian Authors' Fuel Subsidy Protest by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:55am On Jan 10, 2012
Chinua Achebe on the picket line. Nothing one won't hear on nairaland. I love Achebe but remain against fuel subsidies.

(1) (Reply)

Nlc Strike Ends In Abia State / Northern Almajiris, Boko Haram And Nigeria's Scaring Future! / People Can Even Abuse Me And Be Assured They Can Not Be Arrested- Rochas Okoroch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.