Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:23 AM

Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation (6176 Views)

Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi / Female Suicide Bomber Refuses To Strike In Borno (pictured) / Nigeria Loses $966m To Crude Oil Swap Deal – NEITI (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by HARDDON: 1:25pm On Jan 11, 2012

Nigeria is losing a whopping N158.93bn daily to the ongoing strike by the organised labour and Civil Society groups over the removal of petroleum subsidy, investigation has revealed.

The industrial action, which enters its third day today (Wednesday), has crippled economic activities in the country.

For instance, majority of banks, petroleum stations, manufacturing companies and the nation’s airports are currently closed for business.

Apart from the N158.93bn, some lives and properties have been lost across the country to the strike.

The figure is based on the projected Gross Domestic Product for the 2012 fiscal year as contained in the national budget.

The Governor, Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr. Lamido Sanusi, had while appearing on a television programme on Tuesday to shed light on the economic benefits of the removal of petroleum subsidy, hinted that an analysis of the GDP would reveal the financial loss to the strike.

Sanusi, who appeared on the programme with the Minister of Finance Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said the GDP was one of the most acceptable ways of computing the economic loss. He, however, did not give any figure.

A country’s GDP is a measure of activities that shows the productive capacity of all the sectors of the economy.

It is thus the value of all goods and services produced within the borders of that country over a given period.

President Goodluck Jonathan had on December 13, 2011, presented the 2012 budget to a joint session of the National Assembly.

The N4.749tn fiscal document, which puts the estimated revenue at N3.644tn, leaves a deficit of N1.105tn or 2.77 per cent of the country’s GDP.

But an analysis of the budget done by our correspondent indicates that if the nation’s deficit of N1.105tn is 2.77 per cent of the GDP, it implies that the projected value of the GDP for the country in 2012 is N39.89tn.

There are 365 days in a year, made up of 251 working days and 124 work-free days (52 Saturdays, 52 Sundays, and 10 days of public holidays).

The public holidays are New Year’s day (January 1); Id-el-Maulud (February 26); Good Friday (April 2); May Day (May 1); Id-el-Fitri (September 12); National Day (October 1), Id-el-Kabir (November 18); Christmas Day (December 25) and Boxing Day (December 26).

The N158.93bn is arrived at when the GDP figure of N39.89tn is divided by the 251 working days in the year.

The Statistician-General of the National Bureau of Statistics, Dr. Yemi Kale, had hinted in Abuja that in arriving at the GDP figure, data from 33 activities across three main sectors of agriculture, industry and services were collected.

For instance, the NBS boss had while giving out the GDP figure for the third quarter of 2011, said that in real terms, the country’s output grew by 7.4 per cent.

The 2011 third quarter GDP figure represents a decline of 0.46 per cent when compared to what was recorded in the corresponding period of 2010.

The fourth quarter GDP figure is currently being computed by the NBS.

Kale had said, “In real terms, the GDP in third quarter of 2011 grew by 7.40 per cent as against 7.86 per cent in the corresponding quarter of 2010. The 0.46 per cent in growth is attributable to a decline in oil growth, which fell in real terms by 0.34 per cent in third quarter of 2011 as opposed to 5.08 per cent in the corresponding quarter of 2010.

“Crude oil production with its associated gas component, for example, fell from 2.49 million barrels per day on average in the second quarter to 2.36 million barrels per day on average in third quarter of 2011.”
http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/nigeria-loses-n158-9bn-daily-to-strike-investigation/

Dearest Presido, plz try amend,  If ♈ōϋ  cud change grounds when FIFA was involved, ♈ōϋ  can change grounds now cos dese r uя  ρρℓ!
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by Finland(m): 3:12pm On Jan 11, 2012
The Guy is confused! grin
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by itiswell1(m): 3:18pm On Jan 11, 2012
A dog heading for doom is always stricken with deafness by the gods.
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by HARDDON: 3:22pm On Jan 11, 2012
ℓ☺ℓz is he? ∂at  zz wor ♈ōϋ  get ƒoя  placing d cart b4 d horse , Hope God wud Ơ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴͡  him tru dis turbulent tym cos i do Blv he's got a Ǧ☺☺ϑ hrt dis man
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jan 11, 2012
Theoretical economics at best. What happened to trickle down economics? That is too much money. Then why do the common man wallow in Poverty?

Bunch of thieves = Politicians.
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by sandiyke(f): 3:25pm On Jan 11, 2012
Just hope both him nd his team of advisers know wat dey r doin.
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by KokoBeware: 3:26pm On Jan 11, 2012
The oil wells have not yet been shut, so don't think FG is loosing up to that yet, That's why I thnk the NLC is not yet serious,
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by labamo07(m): 3:27pm On Jan 11, 2012
Who cares, afterall, the money goes back into their pockets, phuck dem and their followers jooor
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by Fhemmmy: 3:29pm On Jan 11, 2012
If Nigeria is making that much in a day, why are we still in so much poverty and no development at all?
Great nation, i hail thee
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 11, 2012
Pengassan should shut down escravos and forcados,then jonathan will know that Nigerians mean serious business.Aluta continua !
labamo07:

Who cares, afterall, the money goes back into their pockets, phuck dem and their followers jooor

Thank you jare.Poor man only hear billions,trillions yet he lives on 2 dollars a day.What a shame.
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by HARDDON: 3:32pm On Jan 11, 2012
KokoBeware:

The oil wells have not yet been shut, so don't think FG is loosing up to that yet,  That's why I thnk the NLC is not yet serious,

The economy is not only abt oil swt, it iz a conglomerate of alota Money makin channels,
Fhemmmy:

If Nigeria is making that much in a day, why are we still in so much poverty and no development at all?

Fhatz da billion dollazz Q yo!

i Blv we wud get dere
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by billchucks(m): 3:34pm On Jan 11, 2012
iF its actually true THE oil wells haven't been shut that is what should be done for govament to know this protest is serious. NLC needs to restrategize by reducing street protest and target organization that is giving F.G money such as shutting oil wells
preventing any flight both national and ineternational
shutting nigeria stock exchanges
a[b]nd preventing NNPC and its subsidiaries from working[/b]
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by HARDDON: 3:39pm On Jan 11, 2012
billchucks:

iF its actually true THE oil wells haven't been shut that is what should be done for govament to know this protest is serious. NLC needs to restrategize by reducing street protest and target organization that is giving F.G money such as shutting oil wells
preventing any flight both national and ineternational
shutting nigeria stock exchanges
a[b]nd preventing NNPC and its subsidiaries from working[/b]

Mehn, diz iznt sounding §☺̣̣̥̇ Ǧ☺☺ϑ , Nw da last lyf line is abt to go , Απϑ hey did ♈ōϋ notice oil prices have shot up in d int'l Market?
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by 1025: 3:40pm On Jan 11, 2012
no problem. anything we spend to make these idiots understand that nigeria is not their private companies will be a good idea.
soon, we will be calling on the UN and world court to re-visit how this idiot that swore an oath to protect our lives has turned to be our killer. starting from his declaration to now, it has been chains and chains of deaths to nigerians.
we must find a way to kick this man out before our population will be forced to reduce by half.
all these pdp criminals are cultists who always do what they can to get bloods into their blood banks.
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jan 11, 2012
Fhemmmy:

the matter tire me o
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 11, 2012
Too small, its like a billion dollars. Its shameful, they shouldnt say it publicly ?
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jan 11, 2012
aguiyi:

the matter tire me o

Ask beaf for further inquiry if you are in doubt.
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by Bawss1(m): 3:47pm On Jan 11, 2012
Unfortunately the losses incurred will be felt more directly by the poor Nigerians on the streets than government big wigs.
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by HARDDON: 3:49pm On Jan 11, 2012
1025:

no problem. anything we spend to make these idiots understand that nigeria is not their private companies will be a good idea.
soon, we will be calling on the UN and world court to re-visit how this  that swore an oath to protect our lives has turned to be our killer. starting from his declaration to now, it has been chains and chains of deaths to nigerians.
we must find a way to kick this man out before our population will be forced to reduce by half.
all these pdp criminals are cultists who always do what they can to get bloods into their blood banks.

I stil do Blv d guy has a Ǧ☺☺ϑ hrt , Just wrongly advised , Απϑ  he seem to ß acting ωiƒ out afore thought , ♈ōϋ  r no Zombie J, stand up απϑ  ß counted! Use ∂at  mind of urs !
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by kl2020: 3:54pm On Jan 11, 2012
that is the amount of money that we have been loosing from 1960 till date, i don't care if they lost that amount of money for another 2000 yrs,  strike goes on
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by ektbear: 3:54pm On Jan 11, 2012
Man. I have no clue what most of the posts in this thread are saying.
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by Fhemmmy: 3:55pm On Jan 11, 2012
kl2020:

that is the amount of money that we have been loosing from 1960 till date, i don't care if they lost that amount of money for another 2000 yrs,  strike goes on

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jan 11, 2012
Bawss1:

Unfortunately the losses incurred will be felt more directly by the poor Nigerians on the streets than government big wigs.

Is their anything left for the poor nigerians to lose ? No !
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by osifred(m): 3:57pm On Jan 11, 2012
everybody is jst lyin left n rite abt did issue. jst so u knw  we had  a brief rally in accra ghana in solidarity wif nlc. God bless Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by osifred(m): 3:57pm On Jan 11, 2012
everybody is jst lyin left n rite abt did issue. jst so u knw  we had  a brief rally in accra ghana in solidarity wif nlc. God bless Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by kl2020: 4:04pm On Jan 11, 2012
@HARDDON

can you please change the title to "GEJ AND HIS THIEF THIEF POLITICIANS LOSES N158BN TO STRIKE" please!!!
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by Immarnuel(m): 4:19pm On Jan 11, 2012
If Nigeria could make such amount of money a day and common Nigerian cannot still feel the impact then tell me how the removal of fuel subsidy will help Nigeria's economy, instead we get poorer and they get richer. Where Nigeria's problem lies the same place the solution lies. Lets flush them (problem) out.
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by DualCore1: 4:33pm On Jan 11, 2012
Statistics.

P.S: My sincere thanks to PHCN or whoever it is that's still giving me 15-20 hours of electricity daily. cool
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by jossy26: 4:38pm On Jan 11, 2012
If Nigeria can loose 158Billion in a day. Then I can confirm FG is fooling us. 158 * 10 = 1.5triilion. So if we can afford d same subsidy money they are shouting over in 10days why tell me Nigeria is broke. These people are MAD.
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by Johnpaul2k2(m): 4:38pm On Jan 11, 2012
HARDDON:

ℓ☺ℓz is he? ∂at  zz wor ♈ōϋ  get ƒoя  placing d cart b4 d horse , Hope God wud Ơ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴͡  him tru dis turbulent tym cos i do Blv he's got a Ǧ☺☺ϑ hrt dis man
which zoo are you from grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by ujchief(m): 4:42pm On Jan 11, 2012
N1.59 bil per day x 5 days of strike ---: N1.7trilion! Amount needed to subsidise pms last year was N1.3trilion! Need i say more?
Re: Nigeria Loses N158.9bn Daily To Strike – Investigation by kizito96(m): 4:45pm On Jan 11, 2012
We are not complaining

(1) (2) (Reply)

Workers’ Day: FG Pledges Commitment To Workers’ Welfare / BREAKING! Ghost City In Owerri As Buhari Visits Today ( Pictures) / Bode George Out Of Kirikiri Prison Tomorrow. Your Views Pls?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.