Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,118 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. (8095 Views)

Obasanjo: Biafra Protests A 'cry For Attention' / Proof For Nigerians That General Buhari Truly Means To End Corruption In Nigeria / How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by Gbawe: 5:25pm On Jan 13, 2012
http://saharareporters.com/news-page/occupy-nigeria-protests-divine-deal-end-corruption-says-ribadu

Occupy Nigeria Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption, Says Ribadu
Posted: January 13, 2012 - 10:44
By Emmanuel Ogala

The anti-corruption activist says ongoing street protests offer a divine opportunity for citizens to insist on a corruption-free Nigeria.

The Occupy Nigeria movement which has expanded into demanding for social justice and end to corruption in governance is a divine deal, Nuhu Ribadu, presidential candidate of the Action Congress of Nigeria in the last general election, has said.

He said the movement and protests present an opportunity for Nigerians to renew their fight to eliminate corruption from their country.

“This is a truly divine deal and as I pray for peace and justice in my distressed homeland I hope we don’t miss it,” Mr. Ribadu said in a statement Thursday.

“My months of work in war-torn Afghanistan, seeing how corruption can strip a country from honor to horror, to the depths of the ravages of war,” he said “reinforces my reading that the ongoing massive street votes from Lagos through Yenegoa to Kano, and to all parts of the country today has opened another window of opportunity for us, as a people, to connect back to the purpose of a renewed anti-corruption agenda.”

Mr. Ribadu  said he remains fully in prayers for the expeditious resolution of this difficult situation.

“As many have commented openly, and others through their heroic street protest, the work to make our nation work ultimately resides in a strong anti-corruption commitment,” he added.

Mr. Ribadu was the pioneer chairman of Nigeria’s Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and currently on a United Nation’s anti-corruption team assessing the corruption status of Afghanistan.

He argued that only a zero tolerant Nigerian government model will find the resources to deliver the fruits of Nigeria’s investments in democracy.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by efisher(m): 5:36pm On Jan 13, 2012
Well spoken. I hope we don't lose focus after the strike has been called off.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by efisher(m): 5:41pm On Jan 13, 2012
The new EFCC chairman can actually use this opportunity to showcase his abilities. Let's start with all the rot in NNPC.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jan 13, 2012
I hope the masses truly understand the opportunity presented is not just about fuel subsidy.

My concern is that NLC is not aiming at the real issues of corruption and excesses in govt spendings.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by Gbawe: 5:51pm On Jan 13, 2012
efisher:

The new EFCC chairman can actually use this opportunity to showcase his abilities. Let's start with all the rot in NNPC.

Lamorde, as far as I know, is capable and dedicated. If allowed to work and given a free hand, I believe we will see results.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by Gbawe: 5:59pm On Jan 13, 2012
Timehin:

I hope the masses truly understand the opportunity presented is not just about fuel subsidy.

My concern is that NLC is not aiming at the real issues of corruption and excesses in govt spendings.

Now you are talking !!! This is the time for us to seriously look at the sort of callousness and irresponsible greed that led our Legislators to work out a pay and allowance package that is 4 times the $400,000.00 salary of the leader of the wealthiest nation on earth. David Cameron earns £142,000.00. What is wrong with us in Nigeria ?
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by karfe(m): 6:08pm On Jan 13, 2012
We will need more drastic measures than the current protests to begin any enduring assault on corruption, and it will be a long process due to so many years of living without questioning corrupt authority in our public and private lives
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by courage89(m): 7:01pm On Jan 13, 2012
Mallam Ribadu is spot on. This is an opportunity for us to fight against excessive spending in government, mediocrity, injustice, accountability, transparency and all other structural reforms that will progress our economy. This protest is more than fuel subsidy. I hope NLC understands these issues and are willing to push for these issues during their negotiation with FG. I hope NLC at this point will do more to articulate what we're fighting for, grant more interviews to create awareness specifically around issues raised by Ribadu and continue to rally people to fight for these causes and not just on fuel subsidies alone.

If after this protest, all we're able to resolve is fuel subsidy issues. Then, i will conclude that the whole protest is a waste of time, waste of resources, and NLC is a fraud that does not share the plight of the people. Also, that the Cabals are the one controlling the NLC leadership as speculated by the FG.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by efisher(m): 7:34pm On Jan 13, 2012
I don't think we should look up to NLC to take up this challenge after the subsidy issue is addressed because it won't. We need to start looking elsewhere. Hello leaders, where u @?
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by Pharoh: 7:48pm On Jan 13, 2012
This is the best time to fight corruption, the new budget has not been passed but my fear is what happens after NLC calls of the strike. This is the time to fix the country to the very foundation and we should not miss it or else the future will be bleak for us.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by DanKan0: 7:58pm On Jan 13, 2012
Pharoh:

This is the best time to fight corruption, the new budget has not been passed but my fear is what happens after NLC calls of the strike. This is the time to fix the country to the very foundation and we should not miss it or else the future will be bleak for us.

There no leaders apart from NLC. That the problem o,
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by Nobody: 12:51am On Jan 14, 2012
Civil rights groups and activists will have to take up the fight cos post fuel subsidy strike by NLC may not bear much fruit. Am not sure NLC is ready and willing to pursue issue s like accountability, corruption and excessiveness in governance.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by sheyguy: 1:28am On Jan 14, 2012
How do we go about such w/out spilling into a tribal war or religous one. We all know the reality here on NL, though our govt and leaders are our most common enemy that unifies the masses.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by Depilot(m): 2:11am On Jan 14, 2012
Ribadu needs to shut up!
He was one of the reason why this empty head won the election.
If ACN and CPC had merged ad planned Jonathan and his wife would have been back in their village today.
Ribadu shouldn't been given air time, he is a blockhead just like the rest
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by Gentleboby: 3:05pm On Jan 14, 2012
Good talk

The voices of the people is the voice of God, If not this time Nigerian said no to rubbish who we decide among them about how to stop corruption in this nation were cowards people dominated.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by Gbawe: 3:12pm On Jan 14, 2012
Gentleboby:

Good talk

Indeed. This is a chance to make solid demands as per how Nigeria is currently administered.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by Gentleboby: 3:24pm On Jan 14, 2012
This time lets shine our eyes on governors of all states

Enough is enough

No more sharing money for campaign

No more ghost projects

No more ghost workers

No more second time

He must be a nairaland user so that all expenditure in transpiration

He must not a womanizer

No more family affairs

No more than five vehicles convoy

Enough of waste.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by PapaBrowne(m): 3:33pm On Jan 14, 2012
Excellent speech by Ribadu. Hopefully Lamorode, his protege would do an excellent Job.

efisher:

The Senate has to clear him first. If he shows himself too much now, they would frustrate his clearance. His name was sent to the senate yesterday by the President.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by coldubako(m): 3:37pm On Jan 14, 2012
until i hear and watch on tv that known corrupt Nigerians are killed by this mass protest, then will i know that nigerians are ready. any thing short of that is just a jamboree.  for now i don't see any thing happening. you cant negotiate Nigerias kind of corruption. IT JUST WILL NOT WORK. even our courts have been compromised.

the Colonel has said his own.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by swiftycool(m): 3:38pm On Jan 14, 2012
I've always respected Ribadu for his strong stance against corruption but fighting corruption alone is not enough.

It might not be labelled as corrupt for a person in Govt. to have a  fleet of 12 expensive  official cars, 4 special assistants, a very expensive mansion which will become his own after serving in office and an average of N290million for one man's official  salary and expenses and many more exceses too embarrasing to mention but I say it is GROSS MISMANAGEMENT of public funds.

We should not only use this time to fight corruption but also fight this gross mismanagement of funds in high places. Government. Should not be made too attractive and lucrative as it makes d larger bunch of our people lazy and greedy power seeking loofs, if u r not dere to serve and sacrifice bloody 4UCK off!
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by mcfestgee: 3:42pm On Jan 14, 2012
Ribadu knows what leadership is all about than that Boko -Haram El Rufai. That is the best word to describe the current situation. I hope after the subsidy the fight continue. Good talk.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by PapaBrowne(m): 3:43pm On Jan 14, 2012
Gentleboby:

This time lets shine our eyes on [b]governors of all states

Enough is enough[/b]

No more sharing money for campaign

No more ghost projects

No more ghost workers

No more second time

Be back soon

Not just Governors. LG chairmen, DG's of parastatals, civil servants(they are the conduit pipe through which corruption flows.)
Lets reject every form of corruption from our Teachers in primary & secondary schools and universities, Doctors and Nurses in Public hospitals, Police Officers, Judiciary.
Information is the tool that is neccesary. If we know our rights, we would end corruption.

EG. Everybody pays 18,000 for International passport. But we all know the official price is 8000 Naira. So why is everybody paying the unofficial price The 10k difference goes into the pockets of civil servants many of whom have hypocritically joined in the strike .
We should stand up as a collective and demand that the right thing be done. Focusing on Abuja alone would only end corruption in Abuja.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by Gbawe: 4:10pm On Jan 14, 2012
PapaBrowne:

EG. Everybody pays 18,000 for International passport. But we all know the official price is 8000 Naira. So why is everybody paying the unofficial price The 10k difference goes into the pockets of civil servants many of whom have hypocritically joined in the strike .

I can personally confirm what you say above from first hand experience at the Ikoyi passport office. When I questioned why I had to pay the extra for "express service" the custom officer rounded on me to shout publicly "esan owo jare . Eyin ti e wa lati abroad le ha owo ju" i.e "pay up. Those of you from abroad are the most tight-fisted" !!!!

MMIA is even worse. They (every single gaddem person working at the Airport) will attempt to extort you from when you enter the door till when you board your flight. Everyone is begging openly and disgracefully!!!! They will even ask for your used sunglasses and half-used aftershave like Hyenas when they are only supposed to be checking your luggage as a security concern!!!!

Most Nigerians don't just understand what institutional corruption (the most harmful) has become.

Ribadu is certainly right about the bolded below because , for me, Nigeria has already arrived at the point of Afghanistan minus the war.

“My months of work in war-torn Afghanistan, [b]seeing how corruption can strip a country from honor to horror, [/b]to the depths of the ravages of war,”
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jan 14, 2012
in as much as I salute the courage of contributors here for hammering on our real problems: CORRUPTION & WASTEFUL SPENDING OF OUR LEADERS AT ALL LEVELS, i believe nairalanders  can do more by forming an organisation which could be named ''Nairaland Activists Against Corruption'' or any other suitable name. I believe nairalanders are everywhere in Nigeria and we can push aside our religious and tribal/ethnic differences to fight against corruption. Here on nairaland, we have journalists, political scientist, experts from various fields, employed & unemployed etc. We need not only cyber activism but also physical one. This is just a suggestion, constructive criticisms and way foreward are welcome.   I BELIEVE THAT WE NEED TO TAKE THE BULL BY THE HORN AND RESCUE OUR DEAR COUNTRY.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by ceejayluv(m): 4:58pm On Jan 14, 2012
I propose that the #occupyNigeria movement be a continous process long after the strike is called off. Rallies may be held simultaneously in different cities at a particular day of the week, say Saturdays. During the rallies, Govt officials must be present to address the crowd and answer questions. TWEET meets between key Govt officials and the masses should take place on designated days too.
Topics bothering on national security, health, power, infrastructure and sundry issues will be discussed both physically and online.
Any suggestions on how this may be achieved?
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jan 14, 2012
We shld continue 2 occupy nigeria until our stealers (I mean Leaders) becomes accountable.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by BlackBaron: 5:13pm On Jan 14, 2012
Who wants to wager that once/if fuel subsidy is reinstated,

Nigerians would revert to the status quo. All this government,senators et al salaries would be forgotten, oil cabals would be swept under the carpet, BH would be back in the spotlight, corruption would continue to thrive.

A pity the only time we protest in this country is only when NLC says so and always about when it affects their bellies.   angry
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by kooto(m): 5:16pm On Jan 14, 2012
i agree with what Ribadu said, that which the NLC can do is minimal, what i think will help curb this manace called curruption is for those who have the proof of currupt leaders and public servants (just like the case of NNPC) to publish it and the people should decide when to go after such people en-mass. what i know is if those who curruptly enrich themselves particularly with public funds are made by the people to become very uncomfortable in our communities this will go along way in reducing curruption. lets stop hailing them and any that runs away we go for his family because whatever he/she steals from the people his/her family will benefit from it.(if this becomes a general thing everyone knows; families will warn their own in public office).
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by dollarman3: 5:30pm On Jan 14, 2012
i definitely agree with Ribadu on this
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by dollarman3: 5:35pm On Jan 14, 2012
Timehin:

Civil rights groups and activists will have to take up the fight cos post fuel subsidy strike by NLC may not bear much fruit. Am not sure NLC is ready and willing to pursue issue s like accountability, corruption and excessiveness in governance.

actually i believe civil society alone may not be enough to actualize all these but if they work hand in hand with labour then these goals may be achieved.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by mjconcept(m): 5:39pm On Jan 14, 2012
I'm happy that some people are seeing sense in what Gej is planing to do.Stop the protest for now and if we didn't see any meaningful thing done by the money removed then we all will protest.
Re: Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. by kizito96(m): 5:41pm On Jan 14, 2012
I Think so too

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Contributed ₦428.98 Billion Into FG IGR In 2020 / UNGA: Buhari's Speech Lacked Personal Commitments, Contained Lies — PDP Reps / More Pictures & Videos From PDP Presidential Campaign Rally In Sokoto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.