Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,149 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now (7381 Views)

Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa / I Built Aso Rock, Who Is The Landlord You Pay Rent To?-IBB To Buhari / Clark Challenges IBB To Public Senility Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by OAM4J: 12:44am On Jan 16, 2012
IBB to Jonathan: Begin restructuring of the country now

…asks President to reduce cost of running govt

By Emmanuel Aziken, Political Editor & Henry Umoru

ABUJA - Erstwhile Military President, General Ibrahim Babangida (rtd) has urged President Goodluck Jonathan to seize the opportunity offered by the ongoing national strike to initiate the restructuring of the federation.

Babangida in his third intervention since the removal of the alleged subsidy in the price of petrol said the President must use this opportunity to redefine the duties and obligations of the tiers of government.

Praising the quiet resolve of the protesters, Babangida said as Nigeria’s ruler for eight years, who faced 11 civil eruptions, he was never favoured with the kind of controlled and quiet protest President Jonathan has faced in the last seven days.

Babangida also said the unanimity of the protesters against the administration showed that Nigerians were determined to live together irrespective of cultural and religious differences.

Babangida’s intervention in a statement by his media spokesman, Prince Kassim Afegbua read:

“In my retirement home here in Minna, Niger State, North Central of Nigeria, I have been watching with responsible interest the unfolding scenario about our dear nation and the reactions which trailed government’s removal of subsidy on oil. The maturity exhibited by the protesters coupled with their orderly conduct has since become an innovation in Nigeria with respect to protestations and demonstrations.

“As a former Military President who survived 11 of such public anger, I should be in a better position to appreciate the maturity of the one under reference. I also feel a sense of pride seeing our Muslim and Christian brothers and sisters express such uncommon love and solidarity during the protest.”

Obviously referring to his past missives which he claimed had been rubbished by presidential aides, the former military president urged Jonathan to build a legacy for himself and the country by using the dissension to redefine the nation’s federation.

He said: “If my opinion will not be misconstrued again by government spin-doctors and naysayers, I would rather call on President Goodluck Jonathan to seize the moment by legitimately embarking on complete restructuring of the country in order to put into practice the real principles of a Federation.

“There is too much power concentration at the centre, thus weakening the comparative abilities of the federating units at generating wealth for their constituents. History will be kind on Mr. President if he takes this bold step at ensuring the practice of true federalism.

“My very honest advice is that President Goodluck Jonathan should commence the process of devolving powers from the centre to the federating units, states and local governments, in order to gain sufficient time and concentration on several other developmental issues that would help move the nation forward.

“Let me reiterate the strong need for Mr. President to commence the process of practising fiscal federalism in the area of power devolution, anti-corruption crusade, attitudinal re-orientation, bureaucratic reforms, slim government, unicameral legislature and transparency in governance.

Cost of running govt

“As a part of this restructuring, the Federal Government must commence the process of cutting down on cost of running government by ensuring that a slim and tidy bureaucracy is put in place. The weaknesses in the present arrangement have since been exposed and have to be discarded to accommodate new thinking in global managerial dynamics.

Anti-corruption crusade
“Government’s anti-corruption crusade must be given teeth in such a transparent and accountable manner devoid of political witch hunt, favouritism and executive interference. Our anti-corruption crusade must have identifiable set goals with measured impact assessment so that the citizenry will buy into the programme without let or hindrance. Once the crusade on anti-corruption is set on the right footing, it will go a long way to mitigate incidences of corruption and corrupt practices in both public and private sectors of our economy.”

“I feel strongly that this new thinking should occupy the attention of President Goodluck Jonathan in his transformation agenda in his determination to make an impression in governance with a marked departure from old practices.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/ibb-to-jonathan-begin-restructuring-of-the-country-now/
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by OAM4J: 12:49am On Jan 16, 2012
Whao! So an advice this beautiful can come out of an evil genius undecided

Is he being honest or just seeking relevance?
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by Beaf: 12:57am On Jan 16, 2012
GEJ was always going to totally redefine Nigeria, so IBB's advice is not needed.

These 3 things are key to GEJ's restructuring map:

[list]
[li]True federalism.[/li]
[li]Abrogation of the land use act.[/li]
[li]Deregulation of the oil sector and a move away from a monoeconomy (subsidy removal, PIB, dissolution of NNPC etc).[/li]
[/list]

Expect all of these things to be forced through.
Anyone who really understands Nigeria would realise the fundamental nature what that little list implies and Nigeria's journey under GEJ.

Fresh Air! cool
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by Nobody: 1:04am On Jan 16, 2012
"In my retirement home

As if its a face me i face you accomodation.

ole barawo! giving advices he and his brothers will never support.

Will the north support fiscal federalism, devolution of power e.t.c?
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by OAM4J: 1:14am On Jan 16, 2012
Jonathan, Jonathan. . . Oh Jonathan . . . Please take your father's advice o. . . or IBB no be him father again?
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by koruji(m): 2:03am On Jan 16, 2012
IBB remains one of the most brilliant minds to assume headship of the Nigerian nation. The problem has always been an equal amount of egotism and a ruthlessness of ambition hidden behind that cunning smile.

Like OBJ, whatever good IBB does with one hand is completely reversed by a high dose of those other attributes in pursuit of blind ambition.

Nigerians would do well to listen to what he says, but not let him in on the doing because - that is where he ruins everything. He will say it, but will only do it if it meets his personal ambitions.

OAM4J:

Whao! So an advice this beautiful can come out of an evil genius undecided

Is he being honest or just seeking relevance?

Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by Nobody: 9:49am On Jan 16, 2012
IBB, Please do me a favour: SHUT UP
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by BabaEleko(m): 9:52am On Jan 16, 2012
Beaf:

GEJ was always going to totally redefine Nigeria, so IBB's advice is not needed.

These 3 things are key to GEJ's restructuring map:

[list]
[li]True federalism.[/li]
[li]Abrogation of the land use act.[/li]
[li]Deregulation of the oil sector and a move away from a monoeconomy (subsidy removal, PIB, dissolution of NNPC etc).[/li]
[/list]

Expect all of these things to be forced through.
Anyone who really understands Nigeria would realise the fundamental nature what that little list implies and Nigeria's journey under GEJ.

Fresh Air! cool

So which of the above has your GEJ achieved since he got to office?? You are a f00l, a classic one for saying that "fLesh air" 5hit around here.
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by Nobody: 10:01am On Jan 16, 2012
He is indirectly saying that, "Please Mr President restructure the country I onced contributed greatly in destroying, so that I can at least kpeme with some Dignity".  shocked
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by deda(m): 10:03am On Jan 16, 2012
hmmm, wen a man can no longer lay bad example , he starts to gives good advise. Howevr, bcareful from whom u get d advise, espesially wen na 'maradona'
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by deda(m): 10:06am On Jan 16, 2012
@ Oxford:IBB, Please do me a favour: SHUT UP

better still, it shld be SHUT THE Bleep UP
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by Nobody: 10:07am On Jan 16, 2012
stupidity, advice coming from an evil lipsrsealed
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by Nnamsco4real: 10:13am On Jan 16, 2012
When did this criminal repent? How can a criminal advice another criminal? Na wao for this country.
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by NosaHenry(m): 10:15am On Jan 16, 2012
i have always read IBB comments and i dare say his intelligence and forthrightness consistently shine through. the issue has been is he a reliable bed fellow, can he shown that he truely love this country more than his personal and narrow ambition. this again is capital NO
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by studyineu: 10:22am On Jan 16, 2012
Is IBB still making noise. IBB the father of corruption huh?. De man should go and sit for shit fuk him
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by rasputinn(m): 10:24am On Jan 16, 2012
Et tu Maradona  shocked shocked shocked
IBB should be in the hall of shame

Pray tell,how many years did Babangida rule the country for??how did he re-structure Nigeria??

Choi,so because honest Nigerians are genuinely speaking out over the high cost of living occasioned by the removal of subsidy on PMS,as well as being pained at the knowledge that just a handful of Nigerians in the name of fuel importers/marketers have been stealing the subsidy funds,just because of that,rotten looters like IBB have now found their activist/nationalist/patriotic voice

Hmmm,anything truly goes in Nigeria
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by Gentleboby: 10:28am On Jan 16, 2012
IBB DON'T FORGET OUR GOLF OIL MONEY SMALL OR BIG
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by Mobinga: 10:30am On Jan 16, 2012
Baba_Eleko:

So which of the above has your GEJ achieved since he got to office?? You are a f00l, a classic one for saying that "fLesh air" 5hit around here.

Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by Nobody: 10:43am On Jan 16, 2012
Gentleboby:

IBB DON'T FORGET OUR GOLF OIL MONEY SMALL OR BIG
gulf windfall not golf. Na tiger woods give am? Everybody must comment.
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by rasputinn(m): 10:53am On Jan 16, 2012
@ Beaf hatersfans,

Its not just enough to hurl abuses at beaf without responding to most of his points,for instance,the points he listed,to wit;
*True federalism,let the states be more autonomous,control their resourcess and pay tax to the centre(this will encourage competetion and the spirit of enterprise,lazy state governors will sit up since there will no longer be free oil money,each state would have to woo investors and explore whatever resources are buried in the sub strata in their states)
*Abrogation of the land use act,hmm the draconian land use act
*Full deregulation of all sectors of the economy(including the petroleum sector;whether up or downstream;this will of course ultimately see the end of the NNPC as the concept was even fraudulent from inception)
*Diversification of the sources of income of the country

The above points are very salient and there are politcal leaders in certain parts of the country that would rather see Nigeria burn than allow the above to happen,for instance just a step towards deregulation that Mr President took,so many of these polticians started sponsoring all manner of things to undermine the govt

Please lets have more points,issues based discussion here,its more intelligent to do it that way than just log in to nairaland,abuse people and log out
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by Nobody: 10:57am On Jan 16, 2012
Everything in Nigeria is about oil. Oil money, oil subsidy. Oil has really killed Nigeria. Yorubas talk of oil like it‘s in their backyard. Hausa talk of oil like it‘s under their groundnuts. Igbo talk of oil like it‘s in their stream. ND, the owners of the oil are now mentally paralyzed, they depend on the money for virtually everything. Something is wrong.
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 16, 2012
Everything in Nigeria is about oil. Oil money, oil subsidy. Oil has really killed Nigeria. Yorubas talk of oil like it‘s in their backyard. Hausa talk of oil like it‘s under their groundnuts. Igbo talk of oil like it‘s in their stream. ND, the owners of the oil are now mentally paralyzed, they depend on the money for virtually everything. Something is wrong.
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by studyineu: 11:01am On Jan 16, 2012
@lucenzo, igbos don't have oil too. So they can talk of oil
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by Akan(m): 11:05am On Jan 16, 2012
but i thought i heard that IBB was dead. Abi this advice na from grave?
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by Dipwater(m): 11:06am On Jan 16, 2012
Fellow nairalanders thief dey advise thief? He is talking as if he is a saint, saint ibb or pastor ibb tank u sir for the luvly advice
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by Reference(m): 11:12am On Jan 16, 2012
rasputinn:

@ Beaf hatersfans,

Its not just enough to hurl abuses at beaf without responding to most of his points,for instance,the points he listed,to wit;
*True federalism,let the states be more autonomous,control their resourcess and pay tax to the centre(this will encourage competetion and the spirit of enterprise,lazy state governors will sit up since their will no longer be free oil money,each state would have to woo investors and explore whatever resources are buried in the sub strata in their states)
*Abrogation of the land use act#
*Full deregulation of all sectors of the economy(including the petroleum sector;whether up or downstream;this will of course ultimately see the end of the NNPC as the concept was even fraudulent from inception)
*Diversification of the sources of income of the country

The above points are very salient and their are politcal leaders in certain parts of the country that would rather see Nigeria burn than allow the above to happen,for instance just a step towards deregulation that Mr President took,so many of these polticians started sp[onsoring all manner of things to undermine the govt

Please lets have more points,issues based discussion here,its more intelligent to do it that way than just log in to nairaland,abuse people and log out

My dear it is becoming like gemstone mining or crude oil refining this forum, 70% vitriol, 20% tales, 9% news and 1% facts. Very little to spur the mind. No wonder we all need subsidy - even the intellectual type.
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by cap28: 11:16am On Jan 16, 2012
This two faced bastard has turned hypocrisy into a fine art.

I know many nigerians are dumb but i dont think we would be so st.upid as to take advice from the very person who set in motion what we are now facing today.

Who accepted the original IMF loan and agreed to implement the SAP conditions which led to mass poverty, devaluation of the naira, cuts in education and healthcare, the wiping out of the middle class and brain drain?

IBB dont worry its not over yet - you will get your comeuppance soon.

its just that nigerians are dumb - this fool knows very well that GEJ can not implement anything remotely resembling an anti corruption campaign because GEJ himself will be one of the first on the list for corruption and subsequent imprisonment
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by nwaoluwa: 11:23am On Jan 16, 2012
He is indirectly saying that, "Please Mr President restructure the country I onced contributed greatly in destroying, so that I can at least kpeme with some Dignity". Shocked

Thank you Olodostein u have said it all.
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by buzor(m): 11:25am On Jan 16, 2012
i dont know if gej, jeg or even jug will be bold enough to Address issues raised by d devil called ibb,
@lucenjo 3 out of 5 eastern states ve oil deposit including imo, abia, anambra.
my advice for u - bury your head in sand
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by studyineu: 11:37am On Jan 16, 2012
@buzor, tell am make him hear, na cause of we never allow dem touch the oil in our land.
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by princepee: 11:42am On Jan 16, 2012
U go fear advice nah! Pls do wat i fail to do in 8yrs im now an elder stateman.
Re: Ibb To Jonathan: Begin Restructuring Of The Country Now by Nobody: 11:48am On Jan 16, 2012
Do you know if I‘m from the east? Don‘t talk like you know everything. If you can read you would see that my post was for the whole Nigeria, not the owners of oil or not. My advice for you is that you should read a writeup at least ten times in order to understand. So much for a literate.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2019 Polls: Buhari Encouraging Under-age Voting — Afenifere / INEC Declares Babajide Sanwo-Olu Winner Of Lagos Governorship Election / Donald Duke: A Fraud Or Visionary? (Tinapa)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.