Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,561 members, 7,820,032 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

Subsidy? Kwara Police Parade Boy, 13, Others For Alleged Arson - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy? Kwara Police Parade Boy, 13, Others For Alleged Arson (793 Views)

Ekiti Polls: Capt. Koli, 13 Others Testify Before Panel, Reveals Top Secret / Five Ex-permanent Secretaries To Face Trial For Alleged Corruption / Kwara Police Commissioner Killed In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Subsidy? Kwara Police Parade Boy, 13, Others For Alleged Arson by Beaf: 1:48am On Jan 18, 2012
[size=14pt]Kwara police parade boy, 13, others for alleged arson[/size]
By Adekunle Jimoh, Ilorin24 minutes ago

The Kwara State Police Command has paraded a 13-year-old boy and 11 others for allegedly torching the campaign office of President Goodluck Jonathan/Bukola Saraki/Abdulfatah Ahmed during a protest against fuel subsidy removal in Ilorin, the state capital, last week.

The command’s spokesperson, Dabo Ezekiel, an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), yesterday addressed reporters in Ilorin.

He said the command arrested 38 suspects for alleged stealing, extortion and arson during the protests.

Ezekiel said 14 persons were arrested for allegedly looting and burning the campaign office located at Adewole Estate, Ilorin.

But the Chairman of the Ilorin branch of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Mr Rafiu Balogun, said: “The arrest and detention of a 13-year-old boy is illegal and barbaric. He ought to have been kept at a foster home and not a remand home, which is meant for adults.

“The offence allegedly committed by the minor is ordinarily a bailable offence. Besides, the laws of the land do not allow such a small boy to be lumped with adults. Our society has ruined his life due to ignorance. He needs proper counseling and not punishment. I will talk to the Commissioner of Police and take appropriate step.”

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/33679-kwara-police-parade-boy-13-others-for-alleged-arson.html
Re: Subsidy? Kwara Police Parade Boy, 13, Others For Alleged Arson by Beaf: 1:51am On Jan 18, 2012
Where is the person to tell me that the entire anti-subsidy charade was no driven by bitter politicians?

[size=14pt]Police arrest 38 suspects in Kwara •Over stealing, extortion and burning of Jonathan’s, Saraki’s campaign office[/size]
Written by Biola Azeez Wednesday, 18 January 2012

THE Kwara State police command has arrested 38 people, including a 13-year-old boy, alleged to have taken part in the stealing, extortion and burning of the campaign office of President Goodluck Jonathan, Senator Bukola Saraki and Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed, popularly called Mandate House, during the protest against fuel subsidy removal last Thursday.

Parading the suspects at the state police headquarters, on Tuesday, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Dabo Ezekiel, said 14 persons were arrested for allegedly looting and burning the campaign office located at Adewole Estate, Ilorin, the state capital.

He said 13 people were arrested for extortion, while 11 were nabbed for causing grievous hurt on people and mischief by fire.

The PPRO also said the suspects were arrested on the alleged criminal conspiracy, criminal trespass, theft and mischief by fire, contrary to section 97, 346, 287, and 337 of penal code law.

The police spokesperson, who said the suspects were arrested by three different teams of special anti-robbery squad (SARS) and detectives in the state, added that five persons were arrested at the scene of the incident while nine others were caught two days later.

He said some of the suspects were met at the Mandate House stealing valuable items like pillows, tyres, mattresses, generating machines, life rams and chairs before the campaign office was set ablaze.

Mr Ezekiel, who regretted that the protest was hijacked by miscreants, who he said took laws into their hands and caused injuries to people, added that none of the suspects belonged to any political party.

He said all the suspects would be charged to court as soon as investigations were completed, urging the general public to go about their lawful business without any fear as the police was committed with the protection of their lives and property.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/34503-police-arrest-38-suspects-in-kwara-over-stealing-extortion-and-burning-of-jonathans-sarakis-campaign-office
Re: Subsidy? Kwara Police Parade Boy, 13, Others For Alleged Arson by Nobody: 1:56am On Jan 18, 2012
yeah we know you are about to turn this into an ethnic thing, yoruba-igbo thing you know. we don see your type finish ewhu.

but you know hoodlums and miscreants abound all around us and they will take any opportunity they get to cause chaos, looting and stealing. thats the basic understanding. but you now turning it to a political thing is debatable. if you insist its politics and no other option to it then i must say you are very shallow in thinking.
Re: Subsidy? Kwara Police Parade Boy, 13, Others For Alleged Arson by Beaf: 2:40am On Jan 18, 2012
diluminati:

yeah we know you are about to turn this into an ethnic thing, yoruba-igbo thing you know. we don see your type finish ewhu.

but you know hoodlums and miscreants abound all around us and they will take any opportunity they get to cause chaos, looting and stealing. thats the basic understanding. but you now turning it to a political thing is debatable. if you insist its politics and no other option to it then i must say you are very shallow in thinking.

My dear, I am neither Yoruba nor Igbo, so what are you driving at? I guess you are just desperate not to face the unfolding reality.

I wonder what is shallow about pointing out that your glorified hoodlums where sent to burn down political campaign offices? Do you think the price of petrol is set in such places? Maybe in your World such things do not count as dirty politics, but in the rational World, they sure do.

For the most part, the anti-subidy removal riots were geared toward distabilising the country, by creatures of the night for their dark purposes.

What does a 13 year old know about subsidies? Even more disturbing, why would a 13 year old, a mere child who is inelligible to vote be found attempting to burn down a campaign office?

Lets hear you give answers that ain't shallow. Lolz!
Re: Subsidy? Kwara Police Parade Boy, 13, Others For Alleged Arson by bashr8: 3:59am On Jan 18, 2012
diluminati:

You get mouth because they no thief that your bb or break your head with bottle.
Re: Subsidy? Kwara Police Parade Boy, 13, Others For Alleged Arson by Katsumoto: 4:16am On Jan 18, 2012
Beaf:

Where is the person to tell me that the entire anti-subsidy charade was no driven by bitter politicians?

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/34503-police-arrest-38-suspects-in-kwara-over-stealing-extortion-and-burning-of-jonathans-sarakis-campaign-office

So its not inconceivable that the arsonists were carrying out their frustrations against those whom they perceive to be responsible for their plight? I am not condoning their actions by the way; I am simply advocating that burning a campaign office does not necessarily translate into political agendas and opportunism.
Re: Subsidy? Kwara Police Parade Boy, 13, Others For Alleged Arson by Beaf: 4:22am On Jan 18, 2012
Katsumoto:

So its not inconceivable that the arsonists were carrying out their frustrations against those whom they perceive to be responsible for their plight? I am not condoning their actions by the way; I am simply advocating that burning a campaign office does not necessarily translate into political agendas and opportunism.

How can a 13 year old boy become so frustrated that he wants to carry out an act of arson? How would a 13 year old have known anything about campaign offices?
13 year olds tend to express their frustrations (which are very simple at that age) directly to their parents, not embark on targetted political hits.

Someone sponsored the kid for political reasons.
Re: Subsidy? Kwara Police Parade Boy, 13, Others For Alleged Arson by Katsumoto: 4:26am On Jan 18, 2012
Beaf:

How can a 13 year old boy become so frustrated that he wants to carry out an act of arson? How would a 13 year old have known anything about campaign offices?
13 year olds tend to express their frustrations (which are very simple at that age) directly to their parents, not embark on targetted political hits.

Someone sponsored the kid for political reasons.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

But the 13 year old was following the lead of other adults. He is unlikely to have recruited directly by the 'political mastermind'.
Re: Subsidy? Kwara Police Parade Boy, 13, Others For Alleged Arson by Beaf: 4:32am On Jan 18, 2012
^
Kwara state has almajiri's, and they are always recruited for political or religious reasons. That seems more plausible to me, because parents generally wouldn't take their kids rioting, especially not with petrol and matches, and almost definitely not when the target is the President.

(1) (Reply)

Sanusi’s Boko-haram Economics Theory / nigerian dont want Goodluck Back As President, it will only lead to violent / When is Efcc going Arrest Ohakim The Former Gov Of Imo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.