Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,187 members, 7,811,475 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:34 PM

When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? (3565 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? / Stock Market: Questions And Answers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by dodochi42: 9:09am On Oct 10, 2007
I heard MTN is coming to the market,

How true is it?

And when ?

For how much?
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by RichDad1(m): 5:26pm On Oct 10, 2007
Day dreamer lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by dejacrue: 3:48pm On Oct 11, 2007
it isn't possible.d white guys will not allow we nigerians enjoy out of d profit they 've made from us.so 4get about it.it's not happenin.
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by joshO: 4:04pm On Oct 11, 2007
The Nigerian capital market is not deep enough for MTN. Try computing 25% of MTN, and consider if the market is deep enough to absorb,

I can understand MTN not wanting to 'share' with Nigeria, but what about our very own globalcom, owned by just a few people? At least MTN is listed in SA.
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by Etin(f): 4:28pm On Oct 11, 2007
It is not compulsory for a company to come on the Stock Market. Companies would usually do so to raise finance and it is usually the last option as it is time consuming and expensive. Don't be deceive coming to the Stock Market is not primarily to share the profit with you but to raise cash from you
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by slybase(m): 4:56pm On Oct 11, 2007
Maybe you should source for their books and see if you would spot out any reason why they should come to the market.

Rich Dad:

Day dreamer lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by Sweetaura1(f): 7:46pm On Oct 11, 2007
I can't see this happening because most of these foreign Companies don't want any strings attached to Nigeria. Probably because of our unstable Govt. (eventhough, our economy is very lucrative for them).

All they do is change their profits into Dollars and remit to anywhere BUT Nigeria. If you've ever worked or you're working in any of these Companies you'll understand what I'm saying.
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by geek(m): 8:40pm On Oct 11, 2007
I wish they'd hurry up!
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by Etin(f): 11:05pm On Oct 11, 2007
geek:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200710080203.html

I wonder if that would be happening in the near future seeing that they have just obtained a historically large loan to invest in the business. We will just have to wait and see.
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by koo: 11:42pm On Oct 11, 2007
joshO:

The Nigerian capital market is not deep enough for MTN. Try computing 25% of MTN, and consider if the market is deep enough to absorb,

I can understand MTN not wanting to 'share' with Nigeria, but what about our very own globalcom, owned by just a few people? At least MTN is listed in SA.

Your knowledge of the Nigerian stock market is at best basic. That is why you u posted your limited opinion. Get more information.
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by iceman75(m): 8:27am On Oct 12, 2007
@josho
'''The Nigerian capital market is not deep enough for MTN. Try computing 25% of MTN, and consider if the market is deep enough to absorb,
I can understand MTN not wanting to 'share' with Nigeria, but what about our very own globalcom, owned by just a few people? At least MTN is listed in SA.'''

It's a shame that u think the NSE is not deep enough for MTN, u've surely been ill-advised and u owe us an apology.
I support u on the Globalcom issue, but do they need funds? do u think companies go public to share their profit with us? think again.
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by kaysmith(f): 9:54am On Oct 12, 2007
ahaaaaa M.T.N -M[/b]ost [b]T[/b]errible [b]N[/b]etwork

shares KE?

l go [b]DELETE
from 9ja if they sell
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by Bblak(f): 2:07pm On Oct 12, 2007
Stock Market ke? i doubt if they can go into shares o.
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by slybase(m): 4:25pm On Oct 12, 2007
I think we get so many things wrong. Because quite a number of us are making so much money from the stock market, we are now assuming every company would want you to come make money through them. Why raise money from the market when we can acquire a huge loan(the interest notwithstanding) - At least for a VERY definitely profitable company like MTN, the owners still have the bulk of the profit in their pocket: what makes you think anyone would want to share that with you. Even if so many people do, such company would definitely not have South African connections.

Look around and see how South Africans do business. I recommend DSTV as a case study!
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by ibkn(m): 7:44pm On Oct 12, 2007
well lets think of this.
1 MTN is said to post 800 million dollars as dividend to thier south african parent company last year from nigeria. that to me is a major capital flight, from nigeria.
2. yes the nigerian stock market is deep enough to swallow dangote, then why cant it swallow MTN. at least banks will underwrite 80% of the issue, the average capital base of a nigerian bank is 44 billion naira.
3. GLO is a private company and it will come to the market when ETB stops funding them.
4. MTN problems lies with Obasanjo. when he was granting them licenses he didnt keep a cluase that they should get quoted on the NSE, if he had then they would have plans to do so.
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by MASARA: 10:59pm On Oct 12, 2007
Hmmm, can\'t wait to invest there when they comes, but there services are too poor these days.
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by niyyie(m): 4:48pm On Oct 13, 2007
MTN in the Nigerian stock market? I doubt if it'd happen anytime soon.
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by egoldman(m): 11:40am On Oct 14, 2007
ibkn:

well lets think of this.
1 MTN is said to post 800 million dollars as dividend to their south african parent company last year from nigeria. that to me is a major capital flight, from nigeria.
2. yes the nigerian stock market is deep enough to swallow dangote, then why can't it swallow MTN. at least banks will underwrite 80% of the issue, the average capital base of a nigerian bank is 44 billion naira.
3. GLO is a private company and it will come to the market when ETB stops funding them.
4. MTN problems lies with Obasanjo. when he was granting them licenses he didnt keep a cluase that they should get quoted on the NSE, if he had then they would have plans to do so.

This is why i love indians , they always have this sort of clauses with every foreign company that comes to do business in their country , but then i don't think its yet late, policies can still be formulated to address that .
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by egoldman(m): 11:49am On Oct 14, 2007
Nigeria: With $2 Billon, We'll Improve on Our QoS - Farroukh

Vanguard (Lagos)

Email This Page

Print This Page

Vanguard (Lagos)

8 October 2007
Posted to the web 8 October 2007

Miebi Senge
Lagos

MTN Nigeria Communications, the leading mobile provider in Nigeria last Wednesday caused the biggest move in an already charged industry with a $2 billion loan syndication involving 14 local and foreign banks.

Described by Mr. Ahmad Farroukh, CEO, MTN Nigeria as the "biggest by a single telecommunications company anywhere in Africa," the loan syndication would enable the mobile provider to expand on existing infrastructure, and build on new transmission facilities to meet growing demands.

"We would use the additional funds to perfect our quality of service (QoS) to prove we're not just successful, but care about Nigeria," said Farroukh, at a post event medial briefing held at the Eko Hotels & Suites, Lagos. The issue of dwindling QoS has recently become a matter of national discuss with the House of Representatives mandating it's Committee on Telecom to investigate activities of both the operators and regulator - Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC).

According to Farroukh, the company has since winning the digital mobile licence in 2001, embarked on a "relentless investment drive in rolling out critical telecommunications infrastructure across Nigeria," with a transmission backbone comprising about "8,497 km of microwave radio and over 4,000 km of fibre optic transmission across Nigeria" making it the most extensive privately owned transmission infrastructure in Africa."

The NCC took up the burning issue of QoS tough with all three major operators in Nigeria recently. In a 20 September 2007 'Notice of Intention to issue direction to MTN Nigeria' by the Commission in Abuja, Felix Adeoye, Secretary of NCC threatened that it would compel a compensation regime per month on the mobile provider.

According to Mr. Adeoye, the Commission would use a "Traffic Channel Congestion parameter' as key performance indication to charge the operator for offences related to poor QoS. The Commission says the punitive regime would take effect from October 1 and would compel MTN to pay between N50 - N175 as compensation to subscribers at the end of October 2007.

"The Compensation to subscribers for month ending October, 2007 shall be paid on or before November 7, while compensation for subsequent months shall be paid on or before 7th day of succeeding months after such compensation becomes due. Compensation shall be payable to subscribers by way of airtime credit and no limitation shall be placed by MTN on utilisation of such airtime credit," Adeoye wrote.

Industry analysts in Nigeria believe the new $2 billion loan syndication indicates a critical confidence vote on the MTN Group's Nigerian operation. "Today is momentous because for the first time ever in Africa, a local and international financial consortium is granting a facility of $2 billion to a single telecommunications network - MTN Nigeria. No individual telecommunications company in Africa has ever benefitted from a loan of such magnitude in a single tranche," said an elated Farroukh.

Confidence in Nigeria

Mr. Farroukh, believes the loan also represents measure of its confidence on the potentials of the Nigerian economy and its ability to absolve such facility. Its also an indication of the company's growth projection for the coming years. "We, at MTN, have significant confidence in Nigeria. Since winning the digital mobile licence in 2001, MTN has embarked on a relentless investment drive in rolling out critical telecommunications infrastructure across Nigeria. We continue to deploy a considerable number of base stations, mobile switching centres and base station controllers across the country. I must not forget to add our investment in power, as MTN generates in excess of 60MW of electricity to power its operations across the country."

"Globally, it is now an established fact that telecommunications is an essential driver of social and economic growth and development. We recognise this at MTN. And for this reason, our operation is driven by a passionate desire to spearhead the unleashing of Nigeria's enormous development potential. We are very proud of the modest contributions MTN continues to make towards fostering economic growth and development across Nigeria."

As part of the confidence building measures, the mobile network is also taking steps to get listed on the floor of the Nigerian Stock Exchange, (NSE) in Lagos. "As you know, the MTN Group is already listed in the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, and we have began the process to get listed on Nigerian Stock Exchange too."

Global co-ordinator of the project is the South African Standard Bank Group and its Nigerian subsidiary, IBTC Chartered Bank, PLC. Divided into three 'Facility' A, B & C; it comprising an international facility mandate led by Standard Bank, Commerzbank, China Construction, KfW, Nedbank, UBA, GT Bank and CitBank. The balance N205 billion was denominated in Naira.

The 'facility A' involves a N142.2 billion underitten medium term discounted note issuenace facility. It priced over 90 day NIBOR for the preceding 90 days, with a five years tenor. Repayments terms include '50 per cent bullet after three (3) years and 50 per cent final repayment in the 5th year'.

The 'facility B' involves a N63.8 billion revolving medium term discounted note issuance facility is priced over the 'relevant NIBOR rate for the preceding period', with five (5) years tenor. Repayment starts "five years from the date of the Note issuance and revolving credit facility agreement.' The 'facility C' is a $400 million 'term loan' priced over 180 day LIBOR with a five years tenor. Repayment carries '18 months capital grace, thereafter eight (cool equal semi-annual installments'.

source : http://allafrica.com/stories/200710080203.html

who do they think they are deceiving that they love Nigeria ? if they love us why not raise the $2 billion as a public offer from Nigerians ?
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by alliednetw(m): 8:37pm On Oct 14, 2007
Talking of the depth of the nigerian stockmarket,this market cannot take any share that will come out for over 260naira($2)per share.
An I.P.O by MTN may not be priced below 500naira per share considering that MTN's current share price is R113.55(about $17)
Who will pay 2000naira per share for this Naija?
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by egoldman(m): 5:23am On Oct 15, 2007
then let them raise 500 million dollars from Nigerians or even one billion dollars , then they may raise the rest from the banks , i don't really think they need anyone to co own the company with them , not even the people in who's country they operate .
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by cgift(m): 11:57am On Oct 16, 2007
alliednetw:

Talking of the depth of the nigerian stockmarket,this market cannot take any share that will come out for over 260naira($2)per share.
An I.P.O by MTN may not be priced below 500naira per share considering that MTN's current share price is R113.55(about $17)

I think this makes a lot of sense.
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by egoldman(m): 4:10am On Oct 17, 2007
aimlove:

yes i believe school will give your what you need, but school will make you be working for someone else but will not make you an entreprenuer which we need to change but if you work then go to school you will have the experience in working , how to be financially free , pay for your school fee etc

more info

Am loving you if you call me in any subjecton Advertising, Branding, PR, Printing, Networking, MLM, Jobs, Online Money making, Survey Site, Ebook on wealth creation on site, Ebook, Jobs site, Creative Art, branding of seminar, etc
Let talk

Samuel

Seun , is it not time to ban this spammer from the forum ? he been posting this shit all over the wrong threads .
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by koo: 6:18am On Oct 17, 2007
alliednetw:

If poverty is ur case, sorry i understand. u are not alone, this is Nigeria. However, that is enough reason to air erroneous views and opinion in public. An IPO from MTN will not be priced based on the share price of MTN in the JSE or any other stock market. The price a company comes to market is determined by their value in the market they want to raise the funds from and not their value elsewhere.
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by niyooah(m): 5:19pm On Oct 26, 2007
it nice 2 heard dat but how true is it? i'll agree wit one of us dat mention about globacom,
i think we should be more concern about our own nija telecommunication company going on the market soon.
but i will like to put this question 2 u shocked how many of us use glo as our first network if not second?
Re: When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? by BabsO2(m): 9:05pm On Oct 26, 2007
My business phone is Glo.

Why look for MTN when Mtel (Transcorp) is there ?

(1) (Reply)

home@stock is a fraudster. House Beware. / Ibeju-lekki has suddenly become an Irresistible Investment Site For Investors! / HOME LIKE NO OTHER, EAST AMBER ESTATE ABIJO GRA LAGOS.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.