Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,417 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? (2239 Views)

21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage / He/she Is 'just A Friend'.12 Signs Of An Emotional Infidelity / When Women Use Tears For Emotional Blackmail. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by maclatunji: 5:14pm On Jan 19, 2012
I have become more integrated into the Family Section of Nairaland in the last one year and the most important point I have noticed is that a lot of people are carrying a lot of emotional baggage around. Personally, I feel that the greatest load that one can carry in this world is that of the heart. There are so many things bothering different people and I think that with a little positive thinking, half of those problems will really disapper.

Now, I am in no way implying that I don't have problems or don't carry my own share of emotional baggage. However, I set some rules for myself at an early age (round about 13 years of age) they are:

1. Bad things will happen to you whether you are a good person or not.

2. If the bad things are not your fault and there is nothing you can do to change them, don't worry about them.

3. Always do your best to make life easy for yourself. Don't make life more difficult for yourself by taking the wrong decisions at any point in time.

4. If you make mistakes, try to rectify them as soon as possible and do your best to ensure they never happen again!

5. Don't care or worry about what people say about you unless it is a genuine observation about something you are able to correct about yourself.

6. Never deliberately try to hurt anybody in your mind- it is counterproductive!

7. Choose your friends wisely and stay loyal to them as long as they do the same.

8. Have faith in God and try to live a good life.

Following these principles means that even when I am confronted with great trials, tribulations and challenges: most people still look at me and think "this guy has no problems." It radiates in my appearance and health. Now my questions are:

a. What do you think about this?

b. What emotional baggage(s) are you carrying with you in your heart?

c. Are you coping with them?

d. If you answered yes to c. above, how do you do it?
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by freecocoa(f): 10:29pm On Jan 19, 2012
A,I think those are great principles that can go a long way to help.

B,I can't think of any emotional baggage not unless you consider this as one. I haven't quite gotten used to not having my mum around,it gets me depressed sometimes,as I often think about her a lot especially when someone or something happens that relates to motherhood.

C,yes

D, I don't even know how,I just cry when i feel like it,talk to my besty or dad about how I feel,play music ,drift to sleep and I feel better when I wake up or other times I just console myself.
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by maclatunji: 10:36pm On Jan 19, 2012
^That your baggage is normal O. In fact, it would be abnormal not to miss your mum!
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by zayhal(f): 10:44pm On Jan 19, 2012
Hmm. Emotional baggage. Not easy o. Nice principles you've got there but you know, it can't apply to everybody. Truly, it's best not to carry emotional baggages but at times when you remain confronted by those things that cause the 'baggages' in your heart, it may be difficult to let go.

For me, if I can, I find quick and effective solutions to any challenges I have and if it's one beyond my control, I just get it out of my head. I don't bother worrying about them since I know worrying won't help.
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by freecocoa(f): 11:30pm On Jan 19, 2012
maclatunji:

^That your baggage is normal O. In fact, it would be abnormal not to miss your mum!
Yeah I'm sure it is,that's why I said I don't know if it can be considered a baggage,well that's the only thing that gets me emotionally down for now.
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by SisiKill1: 11:31pm On Jan 19, 2012
Question - Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage?

My Answer - They haven't perfected the fine art of forced Amnesia.

Honestly, it's what works for me.
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by moremi2008(m): 1:08am On Jan 20, 2012
Our emotions are there for an evolutionary reason! Without emotions we are little more than a collection of biological nanochips! Having no emotional memory is even worse! How else do we learn from previous experience? Emotions are a good and wonderful gift if we can learn how to use and control them!

The concept of "emotional baggage" tends to come up when negative memories of previous experiences have an undue influence on today's decisions/reactions. There's is nothing inherently abnormal about this. It only becomes problematic when it gets in the way of trusting and loving people that you should trust and love. There is no cure for that besides a good therapist or spiritual enlightenment/revelation.

People that practice deliberate amnesia are doing serious harm to their psyches. You never truly forget negative experiences - you only create shortcuts in your brain that allow you to block out the memories from your consciousness. Unfortunately, you can't really block things in your unconscious. Those memories will come out to play at some point in the future and they might not come out in a controlled or orderly fashion. In fact, they often tend to express themselves in very harmful and destructive ways at the times when you need them to stay hidden the most (i.e. in times of unusually high emotions, positive or negative, or in times of unusually high stress).

How do I deal with negative emotional memory? I tend to take some time off from the initial sharpness of the emotion (usually by sleeping or watching a completely engrossing movie that ends happily). After the rawness of the emotion is a bit reduced, I re-examine the situation(s) that caused the negative emotions to isolate that emotion from the actual reality of what happened. Who said or did what and when? Why and to what purpose? Once I am able to objectively examine the situation, I can determine if I overreacted emotionally or not and then figure out how to make amends or avoid the situation in the future.

For stuff I just can't handle myself, I seek out a few trusted advisers or spiritual mentors to get some objective/unemotional perspective and some guidance on how best to deal with the emotions. Truth is, sometimes thinking painful things over and over by ourselves can tend towards neurosis without some outside perspective to bring us back to reality. How many times have we thought that break-up was the end of the world as you know it and then several months later, you're still alive and even better than ever?! Things are rarely ever as bad (or disastrous) as we often think it is.

Overall, time always helps and so too does God! When things are too painful to deal with, I get on my knees and pray! I cry out to my creator and he always answers! It works every time!  grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by SisiKill1: 1:34am On Jan 20, 2012
moremi2008:

We Nigerians need to apply a bit more critical analysis before making blanket statements. Our emotions are there for an evolutionary reason! Without emotions we are little more than a collection of biological nanochips! Having no emotional memory is even worse! How else do we learn from previous experience? Emotions are a good and wonderful gift if we can learn how to use and control them!

The concept of "emotional baggage" tends to come up when negative memories of previous experiences have an undue influence on today's decisions/reactions. There's is nothing inherently abnormal about this. It only becomes problematic when it gets in the way of trusting and loving people that you should trust and love. There is no cure for that besides a good therapist or spiritual enlightenment/revelation.

People that practice deliberate amnesia are doing serious harm to their psyches. You never truly forget negative experiences - you only create shortcuts in your brain that allow you to block out the memories from your consciousness. Unfortunately, you can't really block things in your unconscious. Those memories will come out to play at some point in the future and they might not come out in a controlled or orderly fashion. In fact, they often tend to express themselves in very harmful and destructive ways at the times when you need them to stay hidden the most (i.e. in times of unusually high emotions, positive or negative, or in times of unusually high stress).

How do I deal with negative emotional memory? I tend to take some time off from the initial sharpness of the emotion (usually by sleeping or watching a completely engrossing movie that ends happily). After the rawness of the emotion is a bit reduced, I re-examine the situation(s) that caused the negative emotions to isolate that emotion from the actual reality of what happened. Who said or did what and when? Why and to what purpose? Once I am able to objectively examine the situation, I can determine if I overreacted emotionally or not and then figure out how to make amends or avoid the situation in the future.

For stuff I just can't handle myself, I seek out a few trusted advisers or spiritual mentors to get some objective/unemotional perspective and some guidance on how best to deal with the emotions. Truth is, sometimes thinking painful things over and over by ourselves can tend towards neurosis without some outside perspective to bring us back to reality. How many times have we thought that break-up is the end of the world as you know it and then several months later, you're still alive and even better than ever?! Things are rarely ever as bad (or disastrous) as we often think it is.

Overall, time always helps and so too does God! When things are too painful to deal with, I get on my knees and pray! I cry out to my creator and he always answers! It works every time!  grin grin
Hmmmm, I must say, this was quite insightful. cheesy

[size=2]Too bad I woulda forgotten it by tomorrow. sad   [/size]
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by slimyem: 2:19am On Jan 20, 2012
@op,i agree with almost all your points up there and i think it'd help emotionally down peeps.
I do not carry any emotional baggage around.
I used to but it always made me bitter and it was poisoning everyone around me.so i made a decision to stop.
When stuff happens to me,i just look on the bright side and move on.it has helped a great deal.
Nothing can take away my joy.
At least not anymore!

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by Nobody: 6:41am On Jan 20, 2012
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by Bawss1(m): 10:48am On Jan 20, 2012
@Maclatunji

Did you really come up with those rules at 13? They say it takes 10,000 hours to be really good at anything so you should have a zen-like aura about you by now.
grin cheesy
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by LaParisienne(f): 12:43pm On Jan 20, 2012
slimyem:

@op,i agree with almost all your points up there and i think it'd help emotionally down peeps.
I do not carry any emotional baggage around.
I used to but it always made me bitter and it was poisoning everyone around me.so i made a decision to stop.
When stuff happens to me,i just look on the bright side and move on.it has helped a great deal.
Nothing can take away my joy.
At least not anymore!
+10. I couldn't agree more
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by maclatunji: 12:44pm On Jan 20, 2012
Bawss1:

@Maclatunji

Did you really come up with those rules at 13? They say it takes 10,000 hours to be really good at anything so you should have a zen-like aura about you by now.
grin cheesy

That is a legitimate question. First of all, I couldn't believe I typed those principles out the way I did; it took about 5 minutes without previously thinking about them (I surprised myself). After typing, I then asked myself if I really defined those principles at age 13. To be honest, I found myself answering yes to those questions except No.6. That one just seems to be innate and ever-present with me. The few times that I am tempted to be mischievous, I kind of get punished immediately- it's weird and ridiculous.

So even if I wanted to deliberately hurt anybody (being human now) I just leave it in my best interest. If I hurt anyone it would have to be by accident and not design.

I don't expect you to believe it because I can hardly believe it meself.

As for the zen stuff, I am not into that so I wouldn't know or really care for it!
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by moremi2008(m): 1:30pm On Jan 20, 2012
maclatunji:

That is a legitimate question. First of all, I couldn't believe I typed those principles out the way I did; it took about 5 minutes without previously thinking about them (I surprised myself). After typing, I then asked myself if I really defined those principles at age 13. To be honest, I found myself answering yes to those questions except No.6. That one just seems to be innate and ever-present with me. The few times that I am tempted to be mischievous, I kind of get punished immediately- it's weird and ridiculous.

So even if I wanted to deliberately hurt anybody (being human now) I just leave it in my best interest. If I hurt anyone it would have to be by accident and not design.

I don't expect you to believe it because I can hardly believe it meself.

As for the zen stuff, I am not into that so I wouldn't know or really care for it!

Now here Oga, we all know that the claim that you came up with all that nice philosophy at age 13 is plain bogus. I am on standby to systematically dismantle that claim if you keep repeating it. Don't push your luck! wink
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 20, 2012
I think its because the nigerian Society doesnt provide any real counseling and open way of dealing with baggage, the only form of theraphy a hurt person gets is " fast and pray, take it to God in prayers". People are scared to share der hurt and pain cos people may talk about it to others. Thats why i am happy that a site like dis where pple can share thier pain without others knowing who dey re exists.
When a person is hurt and doesnt have a good outlet to express the pain and get proper counseling some who are strong willed and grounded find ways to cope internally, others become depressed and even suicidal, others hold it in and transfer their hurt to pple around them who they have the power to hurt, thats why you will hear of a man loosing it one day and killing his wife or kids.
We live in a closed society where everyone is expected to silently bear their pain and not cry out, wmen especially, they re told to be almost robot like in dealing with pain and hurt, when a woman is hurt people do not even bother to find out how hurt she is, she is advised to brave up, put her emotions aside and pamper others. For Men, they re taught to be bold and not to express emotions. So what we have is a combination of pent up anger, hurt disappointment and frustrations, no where to vent, no one to open up to and in a lot of cases no one to just listen to you. I will always remain grateful to My father, In trying periods i can always call him up and just talk and he listens no judgement no advice, and when am done i feel better and am able to sit back and review why I am angry, plus I know my secret is safe with him.
It is well

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by maclatunji: 3:18pm On Jan 20, 2012
moremi2008:

Now here Oga, we all know that the claim that you came up with all that nice philosophy at age 13 is plain bogus. I am on standby to systematically dismantle that claim if you keep repeating it. Don't push your luck! wink

Really, you asked an intelligent question and came-up with bias after that. What you fail to realise is that there must have been some event(s) that would have triggered-off such deep thought and insight from a 13-year old. It was the age, I defined how I would react to some major upheavals I was facing that would probably have turned me into a social miscreant if not for God. I would have had a lot of excuses for failure by now but I am thankful that I realised that the solution to my problems was working smart and limiting my mistakes in a hostile environment. I remember clearly because I had a conversation with my best friend about it then in school- that conversation makes it easy for me to remember tongue I was in JSS 3.

I insist so go ahead and dismantle it Mr. Academic Skeptic!

LOL!
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by moremi2008(m): 3:28pm On Jan 20, 2012
maclatunji:

Really, you asked an intelligent question and came-up with bias after that. What you fail to realise is that there must have been some event(s) that would have triggered-off such deep thought and insight from a 13-year old. It was the age, I defined how I would react to some major upheavals I was facing that would probably have turned me into a social miscreant if not for God. I would have had a lot of excuses for failure by now but I am thankful that I realised that the solution to my problems was working smart and limiting my mistakes in a hostile environment. I remember clearly because I had a conversation with my best friend about it then in school- that conversation makes it easy for me to remember tongue I was in JSS 3.

LOL!

This will be fun. I'll be back grin
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by iice(f): 5:20pm On Jan 20, 2012
ftmom:

I don't carry emotional baggage because

I believe relationships (in whatever form) are not compulsory. If my interaction with a person is poisoning my thoughts/actions, I sever the relationship. Only exception is my kids and husband.

I live my life free of regrets, don't believe in wasting time on what ifs. I simply dont spend much time dwelling on past unpleasantness, I tend to look to the future instead.

I don't believe anyone but my kids and spouse owe me anything so I tend to set low expectations when it comes to people. That way, no disapointment, no drama, no baggage.

We are quite similar.

Anyway, we all have our ways of dealing with things.
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by tpia5: 10:29pm On Jan 20, 2012
poster define what you mean by emotional baggage.

to the best of my knowledge, 90% of nlers dont carry any emotional baggage unless it relates to other people, not themselves.

ie na other people matter dem sabi carry for head.

maybe i'm reading your post wrong sha.

but if you're referring to the numerous agony aunt threads abounding in family and romance sections, most of those are actually fake, or lifted from somewhere/something.
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by maclatunji: 10:50pm On Jan 20, 2012
^I can see the evidence of emotional baggage with lots of people, in their posts. Sometimes I engage them, sometimes I ignore them. The things that are troubling many people reflect in their posts- I am convinced that most Nairalanders are not in a good frame of mind at all.

Even if you are right about the fake stories, it is still a symptom of the craving for attention that is caused probably by failure to manage certain psychological issues adequately. Don't over-analyse this thread. Keep it simple!
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by tpia5: 12:10am On Jan 21, 2012
I am convinced that most Nairalanders are not in a good frame of mind at all

only valid phrase from your last post.

when you have time, just explain further and give examples of "emotional baggage".

the term is too general imo.
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by maclatunji: 12:20am On Jan 21, 2012
^Emotional baggage (for the purpose of this thread at least) is anything that occupies your mind over an extended period of time and it primarily arises from your interaction/relationship with other people.
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by moremi2008(m): 5:05am On Jan 21, 2012
maclatunji:

LOL!

Mr. Olatunji, here is why I think your claim is bogus. First, a 13-yr old mind is till relatively inexperienced and preoccupied with dealing with the hormonal effects of puberty. Philosophies that hold water through early adulthood are just not likely to be formed at that age. There are several examples from your list that just don't pass the sniff test. Which 13yr old determines to "choose friends wisely and stay loyal to them as long as they do the same." Hahaha! How many friends had you had at the age of 13 to come up with this piece of insight? Haba! What kind of loyalty or disloyalty can 13-year old's inflict on themselves? Stole your girlfriend? Ran away with your money? Refused to lend you money when you were seriously broke? At the age of 13?!! Oga, your fabu is too much oh! Chei!

Of course, there is the inherent contradiction between this "1. Bad things will happen to you whether you are a good person or not" and "8. Have faith in God and try to live a good life." This level of agnostic ambivalence is indeed rare in 13-year olds. To hold these two statements/idioms as true, you need a sophisticated but counter-intuitive worldview that is stable/well-formed enough to hold these contradicting philosophies simultaneously. Sorry, I don't care if you have an IQ of 185, it's just not possible for a 13 year old to achieve this without being a complete nutcase.

Overall, whether you agree or not, a 13-year old is still a child and children just don't deal with life's adversities by forming conscious philosophies. Children going through really difficult times tend to just go into auto-pilot, plotting ingenious ways to survive using God-given natural instincts. All the philosophizing/digestion comes at a much later time. I think you're suffering from something called "hindsight bias" or the "knew-it-all-along" effect. You are claiming that philosophies you developed much later in life from your childhood experiences were actually developed during or shortly after those events occurred. Stop am oh! Or I will jump across the internet and give you a psychiatric evaluation! grin grin grin
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by maclatunji: 6:53am On Jan 21, 2012
^Guy, all that one na textbook rubbish O. It is hard for you to believe my story- that is perfectly normal but in no way prevents it from being the truth.

It is not like there is ever going to be a time that I would have mastered these principles perfectly till I enter the grave even if I spend a thousand years on the face of the planet.

Definitely, the degree to which I understand these principles increases everyday and is not constant- in other words, I learn and improve on them virtually everyday.

You don't give 13-year olds much credit. I think I have been blessed with insight because I can project into different circumstances and situations even if I have not personally experienced them. I can put myself in your shoes: think the way you do, feel the things you feel and factor that into how I relate with you and other people.

The National Association of Outstanding 13-Year-Olds (NAO13-YO) hereby declare that your views about their ability to think, function and react to their environment are misinformed and not based on concrete scientific study but mere conjectures induced by your bias and personal insecurities.

In short, you are no smarter than an outstanding 13-year old tongue
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by maclatunji: 7:00am On Jan 21, 2012
By the way, I am not a nutcase but definitely most people find me enigmatic- that was the case before/at age 13 and still is now. In fact, I don't think I fully understand myself.
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by bigbumper(f): 8:09am On Jan 21, 2012
^^^

Hmmm, aki-i-ka lipsrsealed Who nor like berra things, how does that my oriki go sef make me too come dey serenade myself  grin
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by maclatunji: 8:45am On Jan 21, 2012
^ tongue grin
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by Nobody: 10:23am On Jan 21, 2012
A
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jan 21, 2012
@OP, You made a lot of sense there.
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by ifyalways(f): 4:11pm On Jan 21, 2012
Mac,watch it before u become the next NLD Orikinla.

Anyhoow,if you did pull off those idealogies @ 13 then you should be super adultnow.The type that are breaking new grounds,inventing and creating solutions,building and uplifting people in your chosen field.

At 13,I was just getting about hooking my bra properly and dealing with my pimples.
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by maclatunji: 5:25pm On Jan 21, 2012
^Don't mind Moremi2008, he just pushed this thread in the direction I did not intend for it. I stated how I cope with issues that affect my mind and just wanted to know how other people cope or fail to cope with theirs so that we can learn from each other. The being 13-year old part is not to brag, but just to give a faint background into how my mind works.

As for being a super adult, I am laughing because I am sure you know life is not a straight line. However, there are things that I have achieved that anyone no matter how driven would be proud-of and I thank God for them.

See, I don't see myself as out-of-the-ordinary because everybody has something going for them. It is just that a lot of us fail to realise this. Trying to disprove my claims was rather shallow for someone who doesn't know me and smacks of personal insecurity.

You seem to be suggesting that I am a trifle bit arrogant- I am not. You could walk all over me if you wanted and I wouldn't respond. However, I hate it when people take me for granted.
Re: Why Is It That So Many Of Us Carry Huge Emotional Baggage? by otokx(m): 5:43pm On Jan 21, 2012
nice thread

(1) (2) (Reply)

She Populates The House With Friends. / Guess Who Is The Mother And Who Is The Daughter? / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.