Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:52 AM

Young Persons Living Abroad - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Young Persons Living Abroad (3320 Views)

Impact Of Sexual Abuse On Young Persons / Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives / Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Young Persons Living Abroad by Jenifa1: 3:19am On Jan 20, 2012
Last week the weather was warm and I wanted to go running but I felt extremely self conscious about doing so, therefore I stayed home and ate a pint of vanilla-strawberry ice-cream. Why did I feel self conscious about going for a run? Well, because I hardly see any black people running out and I didn't want to be stared at like a crazy person  lipsrsealed

do you live abroad and have something on your mind that you think might resonate with other members? be free to share.
This is not a self-pity thread. feel free to humor yourself or rant as you wish. grin
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by martyns303(m): 6:52am On Jan 20, 2012
am a piloting student in SA, in kimberley. if you know anything about SA, then u will know that blacks here dont do very well. the resturant i go to is usually filled with whites only, the only very very few blacks are helps to the whites, me and my friend seem to be the odd ones, everyone start staring at us when we walk in, its very unconfortable. they literally look at us and will be whispering within themselfs till we leave, its the closest resturant, i have to think twice and lazy up and down befor going there when am totally hungry. most other things i do seem to defy the social norm here, sumtims i go 2 d gym and am d only black guy, except i go with a white friend, else its only me doing my thing.
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:09am On Jan 20, 2012
That's so not cool!. . .
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by r231(m): 9:04am On Jan 20, 2012
undecided
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by EEngineer1(m): 1:21pm On Jan 20, 2012
martyns303:

am a piloting student in SA, in kimberley. if you know anything about SA, then u will know that blacks here dont do very well. the resturant i go to is usually filled with whites only, the only very very few blacks are helps to the whites, me and my friend seem to be the odd ones, everyone start staring at us when we walk in, its very unconfortable. they literally look at us and will be whispering within themselfs till we leave, its the closest resturant, i have to think twice and lazy up and down befor going there when am totally hungry. most other things i do seem to defy the social norm here, sumtims i go 2 d gym and am d only black guy, except i go with a white friend, else its only me doing my thing.
i will advice u not to mind dem racist whiite folks and be very confident, if they start murmuring, look straight at one of them and if the person still stares at u, then ask ' is there a problem' in a very straight forward manner. have fun and be free with urself. in short, try to make some noise
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jan 20, 2012
martyns303:

Continue maintaining your composure. I don't agree with E-Engineer that you should look at one of them and ask if there is a problem. Let them keep talking amongst themselves, whisper and stare all they want. Unless they approach you and say something to you directly, I don't think it's a good idea to address them. The last thing you want people who're intentionally trying to intimidate you to know is that they are intimidating you and you are bothered by what they're doing. Don't give them the attention they want. Keep your head up and keep doing your thing, bro.
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by iice(f): 2:49pm On Jan 20, 2012
Yield:

Continue maintaining your composure. I don't agree with E-Engineer that you should look at one of them and ask if there is a problem. Let them keep talking amongst themselves, whisper and stare all they want. Unless they approach you and say something to you directly, I don't think it's a good idea to address them. The last thing you want people who're intentionally trying to intimidate you to know is that they are intimidating you and you are bothered by what they're doing. Don't give them the attention they want. Keep your head up and keep doing your thing, bro.

Well said.

@Topic
I'm not always aware. Sometimes, i like being the odd person out. Just i'm odd amongst my Nigerian friends for the things i like to do. So either way, i really don't care. Can't summon energy for that one.

1 Like

Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by martyns303(m): 2:49pm On Jan 20, 2012
Yield:

Thanks, but am not really intimidated so to speak, guess they were not expecting a black guy, meet a Nigerian once at the airport, he worked with 4 top SA banks as manager, he told me he had same experience, the whites get pissed seeing him, they were not expecting a black to hold such position.
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by Basildon1(m): 3:06pm On Jan 20, 2012
Jenifa_:

Last week the weather was warm and I wanted to go running but I felt extremely self conscious about doing so, therefore I stayed home and ate a pint of vanilla-strawberry ice-cream. Why did I feel self conscious about going for a run? Well, because I hardly see any black people running out and I didn't want to be stared at like a crazy person lipsrsealed

True! All depends on the area you stay, when i lived in SE London, I couldnt do early morning runs cos as a black guy, you just looked gaay, lol. But outside London, it's so pretty standard you develop some "Hi-Hi" mates along your favorite routes.

But then in London, I could wear my traditional clothes to church every Sunday either on the the train or bus , but now, it gets tiring having everyone look at you like you are Nelson Mandela when you live in a predominantly white area.
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by Freesia(f): 4:57pm On Jan 20, 2012
Jenifa_:

Last week the weather was warm and I wanted to go running but I felt extremely self conscious about doing so, therefore I stayed home and ate a pint of vanilla-strawberry ice-cream. Why did I feel self conscious about going for a run? Well, because I hardly see any black people running out and I didn't want to be stared at like a crazy person  lipsrsealed

do you live abroad and have something on your mind that you think might resonate with other members? be free to share.
This is not a self-pity thread. feel free to humor yourself or rant as you wish.  grin

I know how you feel,i just used to put on my I pod blast my music and go for my run when I lived in a predominantly white neighborhood

martyns303:

My brother always keep this in mind "They are intimidated by you not the other way round" They are wondering how you are affording anything in their so called "borrowed territory" deep down oyinbo's in SA know that SA will never be home but they continue clinging to it.keep yourself focused and don't forget why you are where you are

My Favorite phrase to Oyinbo's when i was in my teens was "don't you know it's rude to stare,You need to stop" the look of surprise/shock on their faces was always priceless  smiley

1 Like

Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by Pennywise(m): 6:01pm On Jan 20, 2012
I rem my first holiday in London. I had visited a library not far from Euston Station. Completely ignorant of d ubiquitous street maps and how to navigate, I had approached a white guy (big, huge probably 140kg) for direction. I chose him carefully not wanting for instance a babe to think I had undeclared intentions (or was otherwise stupi/d). This guy looked alarmed, clamped his briefcase, retreated from me like I was about to mug him (I tot , what d eff). Whether that behaviour was genuine fear or racist, I will never know. Neither was I prepared to find out. At least he didnt call the police on me. I just looked around for one of my own kind and sought direction. Nonsense.
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by Outstrip(f): 6:07pm On Jan 20, 2012
I actually enjoy being in places like that grin First you can just see their brains forming an opinion and then when you start speaking to them you can almost see the intimidation on their face because you did not say "is you the person in charge" or "i fina run to the store real quick". I actually feel empowered when they feel the need to act stupid. The one thing I can say about the US though is that if people are enlightened, educated, well travelled, cultured they will typically not even mingle with white people like these. They will be more comfortable with black people with the same background. We know though that only a minority of white people are actually this exposed. So,
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by LaParisienne(f): 6:18pm On Jan 20, 2012
I hate the way some folks jog by my window 6 in the morning, in a[b] freezing[/b] winter. Meanwhile the weather is so cold that I can't even get out of bed. And most times, they are as slim as Victoria Beckam. Fitness freaks, yuck.

Rant over.
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by armyofone(m): 6:35pm On Jan 20, 2012
stuff i see happening. just last week a lady was kidnapped. she was jogging and was kidnapped. every other day you hear of women being missing. . . scary.

everyone is scared of everyone. you come home and just drive into your garage and close it. ummm, interesting way of life.
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jan 20, 2012
If any Caucasian gives me funny looks, I don't really notice, neither do I care. It's nice to stand out sometimes. I love baiting police in their patrol cars. I will deliberately overtake them, stare at them when we're driving level before I leave them behind, taking care not to exceed the speed limit whilst I do so.

Sometime Caucasians don't expect a Negro to cruise around in a nice expensive, luxury car, I'd love to get pulled over one day, I've always been 100% legit, and I'd like nothing more than to rub their noses in it. cool

1 Like

Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by iice(f): 7:15pm On Jan 20, 2012
Outstrip:

First you can just see their brains forming an opinion

The fun part cheesy
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by lao(f): 8:43pm On Jan 20, 2012
Remembered going for an interview and the interviewer will met my gaze. She was looking elsewhere and it was obvious she was nervous. She noticed I was looking at her directly and trying to make an eye contact with her while she was talking. The funny thing is she did not ask me any question as such. She kept on talking about the job description and what is entails.  Most times I had to chip in whenever she paused to sell myself to her. It got to a stage I stopped trying cause I knew there and then that I wasn't going to get it. So why bother.

I had another interview with another white lady. Before meeting the lady who happens to be the manager, her boss had already said a lot of positive things about  me to her, so I guess she was expecting white person. When she saw me, she was surprised. She asked the initial question of tell me about yourself which I did and the next thing she said is, your resume says it all. I don't have any more question for you. Wow I was surprised and she was like my boss said a lot about you so I don't think I have anymore question to ask you.  undecided
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 20, 2012
lao:

Wow I was surprised and she was like my bt wasoss said a lot about you so I don't think I have anything more to ask you. undecided

I didn't understand the highlighted bit above.
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by tpia5: 9:05pm On Jan 20, 2012
Last week the weather was warm and I wanted to go running but I felt extremely self conscious about doing so, therefore I stayed home and ate a pint of vanilla-strawberry ice-cream

but wont you be more self conscious when the calories from that ice cream start coming in.

you for snack on salad nah.
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by Outstrip(f): 10:50pm On Jan 20, 2012
Siena:

If any Caucasian gives me funny looks, I don't really notice, neither do I care. It's nice to stand out sometimes. I love baiting police in their patrol cars. I will deliberately overtake them, stare at them when we're driving level before I leave them behind, taking care not to exceed the speed limit whilst I do so.

Sometime Caucasians don't expect a Negro to cruise around in a nice expensive, luxury car, I'd love to get pulled over one day, I've always been 100% legit, and I'd like nothing more than to rub their noses in it. cool

Are you sure you are not my long lost brother. Okay I do not bait the police but when people slow down when they see a police officer I will over take them and pass the officer if he is going slower than the speed limit. They tend to do that crap when they are on a power trip. Unless they want wahala they will not stop you.
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by Nobody: 2:13am On Jan 21, 2012
Used to be conscious of walking on the streets, because where I live you'd rarely see people walk.
The neighbors sometimes even ask to drop you off.
I mean when my sister jogs on the street, people ask if she needs a ride when they see her on the road, lol.
Very nice neighborhood. I like it. Although it's far far away from the city. tongue

Many Americans can tell you their life history on just a first meeting. grin

I also cherish my freedom of wearing what I like without feeling the whole community is about to lynch me.
Nobody pokes their noses in your business.

I don't miss Naija one bit. grin

1 Like

Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by Nobody: 2:40am On Jan 21, 2012
I have always been a strong woman, nothing bothers me, infact I have learnt not to let people's opinions about  me get to me. Where I worked many years ago I used to be the only black person there and was able to put evybody in their rightful place. Talk about me When I am not there but I dare  you to repeat those words in my very before.

1 Like

Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by armyofone(m): 3:58am On Jan 21, 2012
feeling like eating salmon today so i drove to the store for some nice fresh salmon. showed the guy some hefty one and he weighed it. price for 2 salmon was a bit over $20. A white lady was standing by me and looking at me. I guess she thot as a black, pretty young gal,  grin, i can't afford to spend a mere 20 buck on salmon. huge mistake  grin seeing her looking, i asked the guy to add one more  grin
i'm freezing it cuz i can't finish it. na the oyinbo woman i wan show say, me too know the value of salmon and omega 3 cheesy
well, i could have schooled her on salmon and fishes instead of meat/packaged meat.

when you are shopping, they look at you like you can't afford it.

Look for the nicest neighborhood to live. don't limit yourself. enjoy yourself cuz we can't take life to yonder.
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by Outstrip(f): 4:12am On Jan 21, 2012
Bush woman. Admit it. You were pricing that fish like you were in the market grin grin grin
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by armyofone(m): 4:26am On Jan 21, 2012
lol, wish i could price things jare. you don't price stuff where i shop grin
Army already put discount on it kiss
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by moremi2008(m): 4:32am On Jan 21, 2012
To be honest, I have completely passed the level of feeling somehow in white company. I JUST DON'T GIVE A FLYING FCK!!! I am smarter and more accomplished than at least 90% of them. They can't make me feel nothing!  grin grin grin

Things are a bit better in the US though because there are quite a number of well-to-do blacks in most large cities. Oh maybe I just can't be bothered to notice any racist foolishness.

1 Like

Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by IsabellaC: 9:51am On Jan 21, 2012
Hi, nice topic.

Here in Germany i experienced, that especially older whites keep staring. I once talked to an old white lady and she explained she never met black people ever before, thats why she kept looking.

If the staring gets too much, i like to talk to those people and ask them, if they want a picture grin, they will be ashamend turning away
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by tpia5: 11:32am On Jan 21, 2012
Look for the nicest neighborhood to live. don't limit yourself

nice neighborhood until the block gets busted.

that's why its simply easier to create new neighborhoods instead of trying to salvage old ones that used to be good.
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by claremont(m): 12:58pm On Jan 21, 2012
I am a fitness addict, and running is one of those things I do that gives me my weekly fix. I used to live in a predominantly white neighbourhood, and received quite a lot of stares from whites whenever they see me running on the streets, it never bothered me anyway. I now live in a much more multi-cultural neighbourhood, but these days I tend to do most of my training in the Gym as opposed to running on the pavement. I run to maintain my cardio-pulmonary fitness, a key requirement of my profession.

1 Like

Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jan 21, 2012
claremont:

I run to maintain my cardio-pulmonary fitness, a key requirement of my profession.

Are you a "Rozzer"? wink
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by claremont(m): 2:39pm On Jan 21, 2012
Siena:

Are you a "Rozzer"?  wink
No, I think the average "rozzer" is a fat, unfit, f-ucker. If I told you what I do, I may have to kill you. grin grin
Re: Young Persons Living Abroad by bigbumper(f): 2:52pm On Jan 21, 2012
claremont:

No, I think the average "rozzer" is a fat, unfit, f-ucker. If I told you what I do, I may have to kill you. grin grin

Shoot, abeg spill, we are all gonna die someday eventually, or as i like to put it one can step out of one's front door and get run over . . .gulps lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Gossip Between Husband And Wife. / Beautiful Bride. Adamu Mu'azu's Daughter Stuns In New Photos / Pls I'm Going Crazy..help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.