Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

Starting A Television Cable Channel? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Starting A Television Cable Channel? (12151 Views)

Electric Cable At First Bank ATM Mile 12, Lagos (photos) / How To Be Be A Television Presenter / Starting A Television Cable Channel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting A Television Cable Channel? by MarketVis: 3:25pm On Jan 20, 2012
Hey Everyone,

I believe I have a good business idea/plan on having a 24/7 Television channel or station in Nigeria. Due to the possibility of anyone stealing the idea, I would not disclose the nature of the television channel but I have several questions about it. So am wondering if I will be able to get some answers in the forum. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know how much capital one need to start a TV station in Nigeria(most likely cable)?

I know you have to obtain a license and meet NBC requirements. Approximately how much does the license cost and how long is the process of getting a license?

Also, about how much amount of money in naira does a TV cable commercial of 60 seconds cost?

Last but not least. What is the profit margin in the Nigerian television industry? Okay? Good?

You can email me at chayomalive@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Television Cable Channel? by Seun(m): 3:48pm On Jan 20, 2012
Let's discuss this openly.
Re: Starting A Television Cable Channel? by MarketVis: 3:51pm On Jan 20, 2012
Sure Seun. Go ahead
Re: Starting A Television Cable Channel? by MarketVis: 3:58pm On Jan 20, 2012
Seun did you have questions about my business plan? Feel free to comment

I see you are online, did you want us to chat? This is my second day on nairaland, so I don't know how things work.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Television Cable Channel? by maclatunji: 4:17pm On Jan 20, 2012
MarketVis:

Seun did you have questions about my business plan? Feel free to comment

I see you are online, did you want us to chat? This is my second day on nairaland, so I don't know how things work.

He wants he and other people to learn about it instead of people just sending you details by mail. You must update us on progress O. Not that you get advice from here and start forming bigshot TV Station owner in no distant time!

Is it going to be like Nickelodeon (I am already thinking of Dora the Explorer)  grin?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Television Cable Channel? by maclatunji: 4:22pm On Jan 20, 2012
I am just thinking: you could start building a fan base for your station before you even start it in much the same way Sahara Reporters is doing on Youtube- it won't be long before you see Sahara TV, the Cable Channel- I imagine/expect!

1 Like

Re: Starting A Television Cable Channel? by obnelly: 2:13am On Jan 21, 2012
It may sound odd but i think your right source of info shld be from,LTV,CHANNELS,AIT,HITV MYTV DSTV and CTL.here we deal with the technical aspect.
Re: Starting A Television Cable Channel? by MarketVis: 4:15pm On Jan 21, 2012
@Obnelly, How do I get in contact with any of those television channels?, I was thinking someone will know about the topic on this forum

@Maclatunji, Sahara Reporters deals with Nigerian news etc, my business idea of is totally different.
Have all the cable television channel in Nigeria start off with having a youtube channel?

@Seun, I am open for discussion. Feel free to comment
Re: Starting A Television Cable Channel? by pluto04(m): 9:36pm On Jan 21, 2012
MarketVis:

Hey Everyone,

I[b] believe I have a good business idea/plan on having a 24/7 Television channel or station in Nigeria.[/b] Due to the possibility of[b] anyone stealing the idea[/b], I would not disclose the nature of the television channel but I have several questions about it. So am wondering if I will be able to get some answers in the forum. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know how much capital one need to start a TV station in Nigeria(most likely cable)?

I know you have to obtain a license and meet NBC requirements. Approximately how much does the license cost and how long is the process of getting a license?

Also, about how much amount of money in naira does a TV cable commercial of 60 seconds cost?

Last but not least. What is the profit margin in the Nigerian television industry? Okay? Good?

You can email me at chayomalive@yahoo.com

Naija!
I doubt you have a good idea since you have no idea about the industry. I very much doubt that there will be a lot to steal!

It depends on the scale you're planning. You need to provide more information to get a specific answer to this question.

As at early last year;
application checklist requires the submission of corporate documentation (incorporation, taxation & profile), feasibility study on proposed station and the appropriate licence fee, as follows:
• Radio – USD$135,000

• Television – USD$100,000

• Cable TV – USD$70,000

• Satellite – USD$200,000

There are other licensing expenses that are more substantial

Depends on so many things: time of day, slot, station popularity, coverage etc. There is no standard cost.

Check here
http://www.channelstv.com/global/advert_rates.php
http://victorariyibi..com/2007/10/advertising-on-nigeria-television.html

Somebody has asked this question on Nairaland before. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-14266.0.html

Again this depends on the scale, cost structure and business model (e.g wether you're running a payTV or one based on advert or mixture of both). I doubt you'll get this answer anywhere since non of the existing players is publicly quoted with publicly available financial statements. You'll be lucky (assuming you're willing to pay for market research) to get financial performance of one or two companies. For the whole industry, you can't be serious!

Sounds to me like you're trying to perform a market research and or feasibility study. You'll need to pay to get anything useful
Re: Starting A Television Cable Channel? by MarketVis: 7:05pm On Jan 23, 2012
Thanks for your 2 cents pluto04
Re: Starting A Television Cable Channel? by Nobody: 8:49am On Jan 24, 2012
@OP You can start from Youtube.
Re: Starting A Television Cable Channel? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Sep 15, 2012
Can we get more information on this?

@Pluto04 What's a good link/source for market research? Any good companies or individuals?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Television Cable Channel? by toby25: 1:32pm On Nov 01, 2012
Hi Guys

My Name is Toby and I work for one of the top three satellite distribution company's in all of Africa.

Like it was mentioned before there is so much information we would need from you first before even daring to give you a rough annual price, and every single station is different.

If Anyone would like to know more about starting a channel in Nigeria please email me at toby@viewsat.eu and I will answer any questions you have or give you a better idea about costs.

Have a good day.

Toby

(1) (Reply)

7 Things Entrepreneurs Can Do To Stay Motivated / Plastic Making In Nigeria? / Golden Guinea Breweries Dispels Rumours On The Commencement Of Full Operations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.