Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,120 members, 7,863,905 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 08:41 AM

Birthing A New Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Birthing A New Nigeria (479 Views)

Change Agenda: We Are Building A New Nigeria, Says Buhari / Owerri The Birthing of Africa's Silicon Valley/Alley / New Nigeria Police Force Uniforms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Birthing A New Nigeria by Gejeans(m): 4:22pm On Jan 20, 2012
My take on the happenings in the last one week:

The very rare and unprecedented display of courage and resolute determination in the pursuit of an emerging prosperous, sane, boundless, and working Nigeria, has given me hope and renewed energy that Nigeria can and will be great again, if its people channel and sustain their anger, frustration and displeasure in the right direction and towards the right issues, focusing on principles, values and systems which guide our lives as a nation.
Whatever the outcome of the strike, protest and especially public debates for or against that has gone on in our nation, one I haven’t seen in my life time and I have longed for;
1. No party should feel a sense of loss or victory, it is indeed an evolving process in creating a boundless prosperous Nigeria
2. Battles are not won in one swoop, especially one as cancerous as our own (Obama became the first black US president decades after Martin Luther delivered his game changing speech).
3. I see, hear and feel wide spread discouragement, disillusionment and hopelessness amongst the young Nigerian generation, but may I submit that Rome wasn’t built in a day. It is only the power of focused pointed and directed consistencies in expressing and abiding by our dreams and aspirations for our great country that can bring sustained changes
4. The issues goes far and I mean far, very far beyond personalities and individuals, it is about our principles, our values and the very system we operate as a people.

If indeed our grievances go beyond the fuel subsidy removal, which of course does, and encompasses the abject state governance and development in our nation which includes;

1. Corruption at the fabric of the nation and at all levels(WE all have some deep soul searching to do)
2. Poor, unresponsive governance by the executives at all levels precipitated by a combination of incompetent, visionless, seemingly clueless and ‘out of touch with reality’ government officials (I intentionally didn’t use the word leadership, because leadership goes far beyond occupying positions) and a populace that doesn’t demand accountability and responsibility of them, rather exults and promotes their profligacies and ineptitude and largely seems to be unconcerned at what goes on in governance
3. The placid, docile and disconnected legislative arm of the government, who are supposed to be law makers, a representation of the people’s needs and plights, but have turned to revenue sharing officials.
4. An awakening of the judicial institution to its roles and responsibilities
5. When our voting patterns are not predicated on tribal, religious, ethnic and other flimsy sentimental issues, but sound judgment, displayed and measurable competence, merit and principles then we will be truly ready for a prosperous nation.

My humble suggestion;
1. Educational Reformation (it all starts with the min):
a. The Nigerian Constitution should be the second Quran, Bible to every Nigerian even if it’s just for the next 1 year. (information is power)
b. We as a people, especially the young generation must start to educate and build up our minds and intellectual capacity in various field by engaging more in reading.

2. A show of interest and questioning the way we are being governed, starting from the Ward Counselors, LG Chairmen, your Senators and House of Reps, State Law Makers, Governors …………….to the President.

3. Willingness to consider, understand and tolerate dissenting views in a war of ideologies with factual completely detribalized, de-ethnicised and without religious bias view points.

This is not a 1 -2 weeks battle, it should be our life time battle to birth a new Nigeria and enact a new future for our unborn and the even the born generations
Let the change begin in you, in your homes, in the offices (that next file) and sustained for a lifetime.
Great People! Great Nation!! Long live Nigeria!!!
Re: Birthing A New Nigeria by afams(m): 5:44pm On Jan 20, 2012
| love ds dream!

(1) (Reply)

Us Man Kidnapped In Nigeria's Oil Delta / No Man Kill The King And Expect To Get Away With It. / I Started A Blog, Http://subsidy., Sort Of Need People To Help Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.