Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,791 members, 7,820,776 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

The Pap Of Life - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Pap Of Life (2032 Views)

7 Good Reasons Why You Must Take Corn Pap. / Can Pap (akamu/ogi) Boost The Sex Drive In A Man And Improve Election? / The Pap Smear (Test For Cervical Cancer)! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Pap Of Life by nabsta: 11:03pm On Jan 21, 2012
hi there, i am a medical practitioner with a bias for obgyn, and its great to be on this forum,

there's a message i want to spread, a message of warning and a plea for action, i met a woman who i will call tara and she had 4 children. Her last child was in secondary school and she had been looking forward to the end of school fees and mid terms. She had also been looking forward to the end of the monthly wahala of menses.

One night,after sex with her husband, she noticed bleeding from her vagina, it was a lot and she had to send her daughter to get one of those bulkier sanitary towels. A month later, i was giving her bad news-she had a cancerous growth in the cervix and if she liked her life, she had to act quickly. While i tried to calm her down, i remembered the ease with which a yearly pap could have forestalled this discussion.

The pap smear is established as an effective screening test for cancer of the cervix. Many women assume that this opportunity is a waste of time. If my patient had done this test one day out of 365 days for the last 5-10years, her disease would have been caught earlier.

IF YOU ARE FEMALE, SEXUALLY ACTIVE AND INTERESTED IN AVOIDING CERVICAL CANCER, GET A PAP OR VIA DONE today!!!
will be willing to discuss the options further with any interested parties.

May God bless you all, and enjoy naira land!
Re: The Pap Of Life by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jan 23, 2012
Pls were do I do one in benin city,edo state?
Re: The Pap Of Life by nabsta: 11:03pm On Jan 23, 2012
ubth sounds like your best bet, not too sure about central hospital, but thats an option, hey you can do other tests and just check yourself out, breast ultrasound or mammograms for instance, don't miss the opportunity, wink
wink
Re: The Pap Of Life by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jan 23, 2012
I have tried central hospital but they don't do it there.I has ubth cos patients are used as specimen for the student doctors[too many eyes].can't a private hospital do it?and which would u recommend
Re: The Pap Of Life by nabsta: 11:46pm On Jan 24, 2012
will get back to you on that, have to do some networking for private hospitals, but in the end its worth overcoming your shyness to potentially save your life, smiley
Re: The Pap Of Life by nabsta: 9:47pm On Feb 08, 2012
if a pap smear is not easily accessible, there's also the option of VIA(visual inspection with acetic acid) or VILI(visual inspection with Lugol's iodine). They have similar sensitivity rates with pap smears and takes less time to get results
Re: The Pap Of Life by zahealer(f): 1:46pm On Apr 20, 2012
hi nabsta,

I am organising women in my local church to do cervical smear test but we don't know where to go do it for N1000 per person - which is the amount most of them can afford. As a professional in the field, can you help us research different places in Lagos mainland where one can do it for such cost? Yearly cervical smear test should be free where a responsible government is in place but it doesn't appear we have a government that can do this for the women free of charge. I went checking at a localmedical diagnostic centre in Ikotun, Lagos and they want N10,000 per person. How encouraging is that for women who are managing their families on very limited income? I have been at a church service where one of the doctors who gave a talk on the importance of carrying out this check on a yearly basis said some organisations can come out to do it for a group of 50 women and above at N1000 each.

Please help us get all the necessary info. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Beware Of Expired Cigarettes In Circulation. / Please, How Do I Get Rid Of Small Black Growth Like Mole Under My Eye? / Lower Back Pain Relief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.