Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,680 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? (52113 Views)

Please, What Is The Best Insecticide For Mosquitoes? / Which Insecticide Work Best For Mosquitoes / Why Are Mosquitoes In My Room Dying Off? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jan 24, 2012
I don't seem to understand the kind of mosquitoes that live in Surulere, I just moved into my new apartment and i discovered that Surulere mosquitoes have all kinda proofs shielding and covering them,   

1. FLEET RESISTANT: "Used Mobil, Raid and one purple Insecticide like that cant remember the name
2. COIL RESISTANT: This worked initially, but it seems like they have been able to get mask to cover them from inhaling it,,  Now they are back in full force
3. Local home made mosquito spray: Seems its a deodorant to them, makes them more comfortable

I really don't know what to do anymore, actually the main cause is the dirty state of drainage around Surulere and it's environs, And am not even used to dirty environments like this,   angry

Can someone please suggest the most effective way to eradicate these pest, as they now have sound proof mosquitoes around dem, U don't get to hear the sound, you only feel the bites, and its effects.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by slimyem: 8:19pm On Jan 24, 2012
lol
you never start!
Besides,please move this to insecticide section. grin
Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by zayhal(f): 10:04pm On Jan 24, 2012
OP use Go-90. Both within your house and around the premises. The mosquitoes will vanish. But you need to take extra precaution. It's harmful to humans.
Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by purplekayc(m): 12:40pm On Jan 25, 2012
Try baygon
Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by logica(m): 12:44pm On Jan 25, 2012
zayhal:

But you need to take extra precaution. It's harmful to humans.
You don't say! FYI ALL insecticides are harmful to humans. The thing keeping us alive (and not thrashing around like the insects) is the low insecticide mass to body mass ratio.

Anyway OP try Mortein.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by ogbongzky(m): 12:46pm On Jan 25, 2012
Have u tried burning Rambo papers?

4 Likes

Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by phrankar(f): 12:52pm On Jan 25, 2012
have u tried OTAPIAPIA? *on pa AYON,EFON,IDUN,TAMBOLO, ati ALATAKUN.* grin infact it kills lizards too. Na 100bucks dem dey sell am, nd e full lag bajebaje.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by kunle75(m): 12:56pm On Jan 25, 2012
OP,

Pls try KILL ALL its very effective and efficient too,its last for about a week after application.

my peace.
Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by stepo707: 12:59pm On Jan 25, 2012
Too much mosquitoes this days.I have tried mortein,total,mobil,raid.None of them worked.Rambo paper worked for a while but i think the mosquitoes are now immuned to it
Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by deltalife(m): 1:02pm On Jan 25, 2012
Try get insecticide treated next. but if the symptom persist after too days then use all of the above sugested together and if it doesn't work>>>

I shall be back
Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by zayhal(f): 1:06pm On Jan 25, 2012
@logica
I know all insecticides are harmful but I emphasised precaution here because what I prescribed is liquid that has to be sprinkled around and could easily get into edibles, its odour is also kind of stronger than the regular insecticide sprays.
Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by cj1080(m): 1:07pm On Jan 25, 2012
Used baygon rambo mortein raid and one american type one that actually made them come out more. let me enlighten you on my experience.

Baygon words there and then,but the chicky buggers will now go stick to the outside of your day and wait for the smell to go away. Then they would come back. Spraying on the door won‘t help.

Rambo na shampoo. you go de see them the fly around in the mist of it, like say them de bath.

Mortein try small till the day i saw one mosquito take off from the nuzzle of the mortein spray. I reallyhad to ask wat kinda covert ops it was doing to be there.

Raid is a soft mild spray for sensitive mosquito skin,a wiff to bring out its beauty,elegancy and aggressive biting.

10 Likes

Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jan 25, 2012
Try Nuvan which by the way is an agricultural pesticide. It is also a systemic pesticide
Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by cecegorz(m): 1:12pm On Jan 25, 2012
This is really a million dollar question!
I have discovered that buying insecticides of any form is a complete waste of money and risk of contaminating your food/drinks.
Firstly, mosquitoes are highly mobile, clear a batch today, by tomorrow as you open your door on return from work, another set moves in with you!
Then secondly, i had an encounter with someone that ran into a factory where all, i repeat ALL the different insecticide brands are being manufactured (i wonder what NAFDAC is doing these days), by just pouring in kerosene into the cans, with just a drop of the supposed active ingredient.

Best advice; Get yourself a treated mosquito net for less than 3k. It will last you up to two years if you hang it very well, even when the active ingredients fades out, you are still protected from those vampires  grin

Caveat: The fumes from the nets are injurious to the eyes if used after unpacking immediately!
Spread it out in an airy environment for like 2days before hanging over your bed.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by ImaIma1(f): 1:13pm On Jan 25, 2012
baygon is useless.i wasted money on it n it almost killed me instead of the mosquitoes.d smell ws so intense bt nothing.

5 Likes

Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by eastman11: 1:15pm On Jan 25, 2012
Stop wasting your money on insecticides, what you need is mosquito net. Once you slip into your mosquito net you will sleep like a baby without any inconvenience. Note that constant inhalation  of insecticide is detrimental to health.
Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by tommyking: 1:18pm On Jan 25, 2012
@OP Mosquitoes these days dey wear oxygen mask so the only solution is to use ur standing or ceiling fan to blow them away from u while u sleep at night, but beware pneumonia beckons, but if no power to on ur fan then God save U. One Luv

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by satysaca: 1:19pm On Jan 25, 2012
Buy   snipper   agricutural   pest   control   no   more   mosquitoes   again.Try   very   powerful.Kills   anything.Just   drop   and   it   works   for   3   days still   killing

3 Likes

Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by unrattled: 1:20pm On Jan 25, 2012
Try Nuvan which by the way is an agricultural pesticide. It is also a systemic pesticide

Hahaha, love the "systemic pesticide" part.

What it means is that you can simply drink it and relax,  tongue tongue every mosquito that bites you will suck in the pesticide from your bloodstream and it will die from the poison.  grin grin
I tell you, once the news gets around in "mosquito land" then you will be marked a danger zone.

CAVEAT: if you drink Nuvan Pesticide, na you sabi! No be me tell you-oo  grin grin grin grin
Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by kelao: 1:22pm On Jan 25, 2012
Go to any chemist arround you and ask for SNIPPER.
small bottle is 200 while big one is like 2,000.
You use the rambo pump to spray the whole house and you
will see all insects laying in state.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by sleekman(m): 1:23pm On Jan 25, 2012
Long term solution:
Cheap Method
Buy kerosene or get condemned engine oil mixed with petrol and pour in d gutter this will kill all mosquitoe larvaes in d gutters and upturn all tins/containers lying indiscriminately around.

Alternatively, there's a small fish that looks like a tadpole that feeds on mosquitoes and their larvaes.
U can find these types of fish in some gutters in Lekki, Ketu & Ojota where d gutters are quite stagnant.

Expensive Method
Treat the mosquito net, window net, curtains and walls with , Sorry I can't remember d name. Once mosquitoes perch on d treated materials they die off.

Alternatively, hire a fumigator to fumigate in & out of ur home.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by denony(m): 1:26pm On Jan 25, 2012
Just poo in every corner of the house, no insecticide is powerful than that for Lagosian mosquitoes.
Just give it a trial

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by logica(m): 1:29pm On Jan 25, 2012
If Mortein doesn't work, then it's fake.

You can also avoid mosquitoes getting into your house by taking precaution as you go out and come in. They usually wait at the door because they can detect the presence of a human as the Carbon Dioxide you produce emanates from the edges of the door. Also carpenters (as generally all Nigerian handy men) do shoddy jobs with the mosquito nets at the windows.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by dasparrow: 1:29pm On Jan 25, 2012
Maybe you can use a mosquito like we did in boarding school back in the good ole days. Also plant some lemon grass around your surroundings. Lemon grass helps repel mosquitos. Its the same grass that is used to cure malaria fever when you boil it and drink it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jan 25, 2012
unrattled:

Hahaha, love the "systemic pesticide" part.

What it means is that you can simply drink it and relax,  tongue tongue every mosquito that bites you will suck in the pesticide from your bloodstream and it will die from the poison.  grin grin
I tell you, once the news gets around in "mosquito land" then you will be marked a danger zone.

CAVEAT: if you drink Nuvan Pesticide, na you sabi! No be me tell you-oo  grin grin grin grin

Did I say systemic , I actually meant contact pesticide. lol , my thoughts race faster than my fingers
Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by logica(m): 1:33pm On Jan 25, 2012
dasparrow:

Lemon grass helps repel mosquitos. Its the same grass that is used to cure malaria fever when you boil it and drink it.
It makes more sense if you say it's an active ingredient in some commercial mosquito repellents. I'm not sure it works anymore though.

Oh yeah, Mosi Guard is a good mosquito repellent. But of course it's only effective for about 4 hours or there about, and only useful for outdoor activities.
Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by sleekman(m): 1:39pm On Jan 25, 2012
yeah that's d name sniper. It works in miraculous ways. Any surface treated with sniper kills any insect be it cockroaches, bugs  etc
Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by Mojibola(m): 1:40pm On Jan 25, 2012
I think yu should call them to a meeting for negotiations, maybe ds subsidy ish affect them too,

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by AmAlone: 1:41pm On Jan 25, 2012
Try "Yuki Maton" Sells for around 500 to 600 naira. It it not made in Nigeria
But works alot. Infact the last time I sprayed it was 4days ago. I don't have mosquito nets @home
but no disturbance at all. If i notice just one again, I will spray it again.
I guess that will be for another 5 to 6 days. Assuming I use mosquito nets, then i guess 1 spray can last for eternity. . .
Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by ochukoccna: 1:41pm On Jan 25, 2012
Baygon works for me
Mortein,Raid&Mobil used to be the ish but now are just wannabes.
Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jan 25, 2012
OTA PIA-PIA grin grin grin
Re: What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? by blackboi(m): 1:50pm On Jan 25, 2012
STOP wasting your money !
Try TERRY 'G' CD. Works like magic
How To Use: play any TERRY 'G' cd before bed (or till dawn if need be) the noise will scare those "bad guyzis" from invading your house, & u'll sleep like there's no 2morrow.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Raymond Dokpesi: When Did Malaria Become Synonymous With COVID-19? / Policeman Tests Positive For Coronavirus In Lagos, Sneaks Into Ondo / All You Need To Know About Using Maggots In Healing Wounds (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.